The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

The 'too demanding' part is just tabloid sensationalism. It isn't even 100 confirmed she moved on but the Sun is trying to make a story out of an everyday occurrence.

Housekeeping seems like a position where there would be a fair bit of turnover anyways.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Not sure about Norfolk but in London it will be difficult to make a living earning 35.000 GBP, if the Palace does not provide housing. I guess those who work for the RF are kind of royalists/idealists.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think every household, that is able to hire a housekeeper, is looking for their own Florence Johnston. I always tell my family, as soon as I'm able to afford it, I'm getting a housekeeper.

I think the Cambridge's will be hiring a part-time housekeeper for their country home. They'll be moving to KP on a full time basis this fall.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Which is a silly story, because I highly doubt she would quit her job because of the move to KP and that her job was a little too demanding. If she really did leave, I would think it was to move on to another job or something else in her life.
Did you read what she was expected to do? Given the size of that house cleaning would be a full-time job. Either she had help to do it or she was being overworked to be expected to clean and do the washing, the shopping and some of the cooking in a house that size.

Houses that size normally have a staff in double figures to do the cleaning etc.

Do I believe that she left because they were moving to London - no, but because she found that her work-life balance wasn't good - absolutely. To do the job properly would mean virtually no time to do anything for herself and so she has left.

The fact that they already have a new housekeeper doesn't mean she quit last week but the story was only broken over the weekend and she has probably already moved on to one where she is able to earn the same money or more, with three royal households on her CV she could demand quite a high salary in the private sector, and one where she can have a private life.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridges have a cook and they have a nanny. The Sun doesn't know anything about this other than maybe she moved on.

A cook, cooks. A nanny looks after the children and a housekeeper does the housekeeping.

That she all of a sudden is 'overworked' makes for a nice Sunday gossip story but I'm sure she was fully apprised of what her job entailed before she signed the contract.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Majesty

A nanny will never do the cleaning. Certainly not in a royal household. Such a nanny has qualifications, skills and expertise, reasons why the parents have hired her to look after a future King. That a qualified professional would do the cleaning is out of the question in my humble opinion.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Did anyone suggest that the Nanny has to clean? Any employee would have to sign a NDA. It's quite easy for the Sun to spin the story as overworked housekeeper vs rich Royals because that what gets clicks.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've seen reports that state that the Cambridge family basically lives in the kitchen. Perhaps even one central family room. Anmer Hall is a big place but I can imagine that on ordinary days, all the rooms are not in use.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the job of housekeeper isn't as back breaking as it seems to have been reported. More or less as a manager that runs the household. Knows what the schedule is and if rooms need to be prepared for something coming up, deals with the daily tasks of laundry, most likely manages larger deep cleaning jobs overseeing temporary help to do so from the area and handles calling for repair services and dealing with deliveries and such.

This is just what I imagine in my head but I don't think a housekeeper in a family such as the Cambridges could be compared with a scullery maid that's overworked and underpaid.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:08 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A nannies duties is to clean the child's room and tidy up, cook meals, do homework, etc. Those are professional nannies cv's.

Its different when you hire a housekeeper and ask her to look after the children, thats not the job you employed her for and that what I understand from Sadie, she was a housekeeper and responsibilities kept adding on which wasn't what she does.

I dont get the big deal if she left, people don't suavely stay in their jobs forever, family issues etc.

The article seems to take the story to the next level.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Heir Apparent

The article says her responsibilities kept adding but that doesn't mean it was so. The knock used to be nanny Maria was always with the children, now it's the housekeeper looking after the kids?

She wasn't an indentured servant. She would've had a contract with rights and a set number of hours and days off.

Staff come and go from both CH and BP on a fairly regular basis but tabloids seem to want to create 'drama' when it involves KP.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Apparently this is the housekeeper's third royal household. It seems she isn't interested in anything long term.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Royal Highness

Norway and now the British Royal Court? Sounds as if she arrived just before W&K needed a housekeeper so not her fault she arrived then a new post came up.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt‏ @BBCPeterHunt
The Duchess of Cambridge's key aide, Rebecca Priestley, has been made an MVO by the Queen -- it's an honour she gives independently of Gov.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congrats on Mrs. Priestley becoming a Member of the Victorian Order.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Congrats on Mrs. Priestley becoming a Member of the Victorian Order.
Yes and hoping for future upgrades. I thought her work amazing!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

In March, Prince William's private secretary, Miguel Head, was made a Non-executive member to Lord Chamberlain’s Committee

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/stat...65800747024384
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Yes and hoping for future upgrades. I thought her work amazing!
I thought she was leaving Royal service? No "upgrades" if she does.

Is she moving on the work for someone else in the Royal Household?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I thought she was leaving Royal service? No "upgrades" if she does.

Is she moving on the work for someone else in the Royal Household?
Ah, but there is so much more than royal service that she could do in the future. The woman has skills. Never say never. I forgot it was the Vic - but there are other orders.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca has (IMO) wisely chosen to stay on through Wimbledon. She's with Catherine, today!

Announcement said stepping down in summer - maybe she will stay through the Poland trip?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Rebecca has (IMO) wisely chosen to stay on through Wimbledon. She's with Catherine, today!

Announcement said stepping down in summer - maybe she will stay through the Poland trip?
She is coming along to Germany and Poland. There are 12 members of their staff going with them: Miguel Head, Rebecca Priestley née Deacon, Sir David Manning, an equerry, tour secretary, 2 logistic officers, 4 communication people and a personal assistant (likely Natasha Jackson née Archer)
The last two, the nanny and a hairdresser, are paid by them privately.