Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I view the appointment very positively. Catherine Quinn will certainly not be a glorified lady in waiting. I think the appointment sends out a very strong signal that the role and the office of the Duchess of Cambridge is being beefed up. Expect to see higher profile engagements, and probably, an increasing focus on the effectiveness of the engagements as well.
Kate's role may be beefed up but the role of her secratary is not. It will be busier certainly, but the job description is the same. They are basically her personal assistant, accompanying her to events, organizing her schedule, over seeing correspondence and doing leg work for her on assignments. The fact she will have two now speaks to the change. The work load will be heavier, not different.

I think it's positive for Kate. It was Catherine who seems to be an odd choice. To go from being a COO of a business school at Oxford, to a personal assistant seems an odd career step. I'm ways it seems backwards. Working as a royal secratary for a few years is great for a resume and could lead to bigger jobs like Catherine works.

Perhaps at 58 she has chosen to slow down a bit. It may be a busier schedule for Kate, but for Catherine may be a slower pace. She is a few years fro, retirement age, and an empty nester. May be she chose a slower pace and working with the royals, as a way to end her career.

The age difference also seems off. But maybe she wasn't wanting to risk losing another to marriage. Having to travel with Kate can't be easy on personal life.

I was very surprised when I heard the appointment. I couldn't understand how someone, with Mrs Quinn's experience and high caliber positions, would, IMHO, take a backward step in their career. When reading her background, it became very clear that Mrs Quinn has exceptional skills in leadership, especially in the modernisation and revitalisation of "old-school" establishments.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have always struck me as a couple who wish to modernise the way business is conducted in BRF - a lot like CP Frederick and CP Mary of Denmark. Mrs Quinn's appointment would show how serious they are.

I also couldn't see Mrs Quinn accepting the position if it was marketed as a "glorified lady-in-waiting". The Duchess of Cambridge would have had to sell the position as Chief of Staff, not a flower-posy and gift collector.

I imagine she likely has connections to a strong network of philanthropists- business school deans at top schools almost always do- and that could be a factor- leveraging her network as the Royal Foundation expands its work.

I was very surprised when I heard the appointment. I couldn't understand how someone, with Mrs Quinn's experience and high caliber positions, would, IMHO, take a backward step in their career. When reading her background, it became very clear that Mrs Quinn has exceptional skills in leadership, especially in the modernisation and revitalisation of "old-school" establishments.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have always struck me as a couple who wish to modernise the way business is conducted in BRF - a lot like CP Frederick and CP Mary of Denmark. Mrs Quinn's appointment would show how serious they are.

I also couldn't see Mrs Quinn accepting the position if it was marketed as a "glorified lady-in-waiting". The Duchess of Cambridge would have had to sell the position as Chief of Staff, not a flower-posy and gift collector.
I doubt she will do the lady-in-waiting kind of things. Rebecca was kind of a private secretary+lady-in-waiting+assistant hybrid but I think it will be more different roles from now on. I think Kate will have some kind of assistant doing the lady-in-waiting things and her private secretary doing soley that kind of work.

CAtherine Quinn is taking on a senior role - same as Jamie Lowther Pinkerton. He wasnt into collecting flowers and soft toys.

The Duchess of Cambridge has a new right-hand woman by her side, Catherine Quinn. Catherine was due to start her role in October, taking over from Kate's former private secretary Rebecca Priestley, née Deacon, so it's likely that Catherine is settling into her job this week. Her first task will be preparing the Duchess for her next scheduled engagement on Tuesday 11 October, when Kate hosts a reception at Kensington Palace for World Mental Health Day.

The Duchess will be joined by her husband Prince William and her brother-in-law Prince Harry at the event to celebrate the contribution of those working in the mental health sector across the UK. All eyes are sure to be on Kate, who will be championing a cause close to her heart, but also making her first official appearance since her third pregnancy was announced one month ago.
Read more: Kate Middleton's new private secretary Catherine Quinn begins role

The day is coming when Harry and Meghan will leave ‘KP’ and finally go on their own. It will be inevitable when William becomes heir to the throne
————————————————————————————————————-

The Duke of Cambridge is to have a new private secretary.
Via Joe Little Twitter

Do you know if there are plans to spin the married Harry and Meghan into their own household separating them from the Cambridge household in preparation for when William becomes Duke of Cornwall and pays for his own household instead of his father?
Via Skippyboo Twitter

The Princes already have separate private offices but at the moment it make no sense to have separate communications teams. Meghan and Harry's household will expand as and when necessary.
Via Joe Little Twitter

I would like to think that Harry and Meghan would not have their own household, the royal family is too fractured as it is, rather the brothers will maintain their Kensington Palace silo, or Harry's household will be subsumed into Charles's Buckingham Palace operation.

I also think centralizing the office staff with perhaps having personal secretaries and such is better. When the households become totally separate without a central organizational team, things go haywire too easily.

A case of too many cooks spoil the broth. When Philip retired, it was stressed that his absence would be covered by "Team Windsor". Working together is the key.

This is a great appointment for William. Mr Case worked in all areas of the government including GCHQ, the Cabinet Office and also served as Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister.

William and Catherine certainly have the staff needed to be major royals

Last edited:
I will certainly miss Miguel Head. He was a great steering hand; maybe not in every moment... IMO, they never made the same mistake twice and were usually out in front of possible issues.
Some would say not speeding W and H into full time Royal roles was a mistake. But I have always and still maintain that happened at the urging of the Queen and Charles given what was learned from his life experience. Likewise, I think they used the BEST of Charles' skill acquisition plan to prep W and H.
And I think the success of W, H and Catherine this year is the fruition of that plan.
Anyway, I hope Miguel makes piles of money and he and his family live full, happy, long lives. Or whatever he wants as a life goal. :flowers:

I would like to think that Harry and Meghan would not have their own household, the royal family is too fractured as it is, rather the brothers will maintain their Kensington Palace silo, or Harry's household will be subsumed into Charles's Buckingham Palace operation.

I am wondering: recall the recent foursome stage appearance and the jokes about getting along. I am wondering :flowers: might there be friction? In the end, William is the future monarch. He will always carry heft (one can already sense it in him). Harry will always have to tow the line, not so?

If Harry's household is subsumed into Charles's Buckingham Palace operation might that cause tension? How free is Harry (in a subtle way) to go his own way? We assume it's all jokey fun, and likely is for the most part, but what happens with the sticking points? Who prevails, and for how long? Ah to be a fly one the wall! The intrigue! ;)

NOTE: Oh I just realized that when William becomes heir it is likely that then Harry will shift away from being under William's and Kate's offices as a norm rather than an exception. Understood.

Last edited:
:previous: In reality the dividing of the households is not really an IF but a WHEN. William will be the Prince of Wales eventually, and with that will come a very different roll, and a different demand. It seems very unlikely that Harry will continue to share offices with the Prince of Wales. I do think they will maintain offices together until then, but slowly their households will separate.

Its natural. William and kate as the POWs will have a different route, and different funding. Eventually their children, when done university, will be under their umbrella until they marry themselves.

Harry and Meghan will be the Duke and Duchess of X. And they will have to carve out their own route as what that means for them. Just as Andrew, Anne and Edward have done their own.

The Telegraph describes William’s new Private Secretary, Simon Case, as a ‘star’ civil servant used to dealing with a world of Prime Ministers and Brexit.

So this bodes really well for Team Cambridge. Kate appointed heavy hitter Catherine Quinn as her private secretary and now William has Simon Case

This goes to what we were talking about yesterday. People were asking if Harry and Meghan will leave KP sooner rather than later.

William, Catherine and Harry all have their own staff but William is ultimately the ‘boss’ of the household when it comes to royal related matters.

Miguel Head’s LinkedIn profile was posted on Twitter.

From The Royal Foundation website

Private Secretary to HRH The Duke of Cambridge (Prince William)
Company Name The Royal Household
Dates Employed Jan 2013 – Present
Employment Duration 5 yrs 3 mos
Location London, United Kingdom​

Chief of Staff and principal advisor
Head of all offices and functions at Kensington Palace, including for the Duchess of Cambridge (Catherine) and Prince Harry: strategy, communications, government and stakeholder relations, policy, finance, HR and operations
Non-exec member of the Lord Chamberlain's Committee (which oversees the Royal Household on behalf of HM Queen Elizabeth II)
Trustee of The Royal Foundation​
(http://www.royalfoundation.com)

William’s private secretary is one three private secretaries on the Lord Chamberlain’s Committee who oversees the whole monarchy. The other two are Charles and The Queen.

So yes the staff work together, duties are delegated but at the end of the day there’s only one person the buck stops with.

Last edited:
Two senior members of Prince William’s staff have been appointed to the Royal Victorian Order.

The Duke of Cambridge’s Assistant Private Secretary, Laura Bake has been appointed to the RVO in The Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

Charlotte Jane Ingle, Executive Assistant to the Private Secretary has been appointed to the RVO in The Queen’s Birthday Honours list.

Last edited:
Exciting news for Natasha Archer and Chris Jackson

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiJoaiPX4AEeD4A.jpg

Such nice news! Both Natasha and Chris appear to be quite close to the Cambridges and Harry and I do think that should Baby Cambridge #4 come along we might see Natasha as godmother but I would not be at all surprised to find that we see the Duchess of Cambridge as godmother to this new little one.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon received Mr Miguel Head upon relinquishing his appointment as Private Secretary to His Royal Highness

Court Circular || 12 September 2018

Via mrmrswales tumblr

According to Hello Magazine

“Kensington Palace has confirmed that Simon Case, a civil servant who previously worked in the Department for Exiting the European Union, will take over Miguel's role.

A private secretary is the most senior appointment in William and Kate's team, and Simon will have overall responsibility for the management of the household”

Miguel’s former job description- “Chief of Staff and principal advisor

Head of all offices and functions at Kensington Palace, including for the Duchess of Cambridge (Catherine) and Prince Harry: strategy, communications, government and stakeholder relations, policy, finance, HR and operations.

Non-exec member of the Lord Chamberlain's Committee (which oversees the Royal Household on behalf of HM Queen Elizabeth II)

Trustee of The Royal Foundation”

Last edited:
Lovely news for Chris and Natasha! What a little blessing to have right before Christmas.

Wonderful news indeed.

Their baby boy’s name is Theo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom