Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Norfolk but in London it will be difficult to make a living earning 35.000 GBP, if the Palace does not provide housing. I guess those who work for the RF are kind of royalists/idealists.

I think every household, that is able to hire a housekeeper, is looking for their own Florence Johnston. I always tell my family, as soon as I'm able to afford it, I'm getting a housekeeper.

I think the Cambridge's will be hiring a part-time housekeeper for their country home. They'll be moving to KP on a full time basis this fall.

Which is a silly story, because I highly doubt she would quit her job because of the move to KP and that her job was a little too demanding. If she really did leave, I would think it was to move on to another job or something else in her life.

Did you read what she was expected to do? Given the size of that house cleaning would be a full-time job. Either she had help to do it or she was being overworked to be expected to clean and do the washing, the shopping and some of the cooking in a house that size.

Houses that size normally have a staff in double figures to do the cleaning etc.

Do I believe that she left because they were moving to London - no, but because she found that her work-life balance wasn't good - absolutely. To do the job properly would mean virtually no time to do anything for herself and so she has left.

The fact that they already have a new housekeeper doesn't mean she quit last week but the story was only broken over the weekend and she has probably already moved on to one where she is able to earn the same money or more, with three royal households on her CV she could demand quite a high salary in the private sector, and one where she can have a private life.

The Cambridges have a cook and they have a nanny. The Sun doesn't know anything about this other than maybe she moved on.

A cook, cooks. A nanny looks after the children and a housekeeper does the housekeeping.

That she all of a sudden is 'overworked' makes for a nice Sunday gossip story but I'm sure she was fully apprised of what her job entailed before she signed the contract.

A nanny will never do the cleaning. Certainly not in a royal household. Such a nanny has qualifications, skills and expertise, reasons why the parents have hired her to look after a future King. That a qualified professional would do the cleaning is out of the question in my humble opinion.

Did anyone suggest that the Nanny has to clean? Any employee would have to sign a NDA. It's quite easy for the Sun to spin the story as overworked housekeeper vs rich Royals because that what gets clicks.

I've seen reports that state that the Cambridge family basically lives in the kitchen. Perhaps even one central family room. Anmer Hall is a big place but I can imagine that on ordinary days, all the rooms are not in use.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the job of housekeeper isn't as back breaking as it seems to have been reported. More or less as a manager that runs the household. Knows what the schedule is and if rooms need to be prepared for something coming up, deals with the daily tasks of laundry, most likely manages larger deep cleaning jobs overseeing temporary help to do so from the area and handles calling for repair services and dealing with deliveries and such.

This is just what I imagine in my head but I don't think a housekeeper in a family such as the Cambridges could be compared with a scullery maid that's overworked and underpaid.

A nannies duties is to clean the child's room and tidy up, cook meals, do homework, etc. Those are professional nannies cv's.

Its different when you hire a housekeeper and ask her to look after the children, thats not the job you employed her for and that what I understand from Sadie, she was a housekeeper and responsibilities kept adding on which wasn't what she does.

I dont get the big deal if she left, people don't suavely stay in their jobs forever, family issues etc.

The article seems to take the story to the next level.

The article says her responsibilities kept adding but that doesn't mean it was so. The knock used to be nanny Maria was always with the children, now it's the housekeeper looking after the kids?

She wasn't an indentured servant. She would've had a contract with rights and a set number of hours and days off.

Staff come and go from both CH and BP on a fairly regular basis but tabloids seem to want to create 'drama' when it involves KP.

Last edited:
Apparently this is the housekeeper's third royal household. It seems she isn't interested in anything long term.

Norway and now the British Royal Court? Sounds as if she arrived just before W&K needed a housekeeper so not her fault she arrived then a new post came up.

Peter Hunt‏ @BBCPeterHunt
The Duchess of Cambridge's key aide, Rebecca Priestley, has been made an MVO by the Queen -- it's an honour she gives independently of Gov.

Congrats on Mrs. Priestley becoming a Member of the Victorian Order.

Yes and hoping for future upgrades. I thought her work amazing! :flowers:

I thought she was leaving Royal service? No "upgrades" if she does.

Is she moving on the work for someone else in the Royal Household?

I thought she was leaving Royal service? No "upgrades" if she does.

Is she moving on the work for someone else in the Royal Household?

Ah, but there is so much more than royal service that she could do in the future. The woman has skills. Never say never. I forgot it was the Vic - but there are other orders. :)

Rebecca has (IMO) wisely chosen to stay on through Wimbledon. She's with Catherine, today!

Announcement said stepping down in summer - maybe she will stay through the Poland trip?

Rebecca has (IMO) wisely chosen to stay on through Wimbledon. She's with Catherine, today!

Announcement said stepping down in summer - maybe she will stay through the Poland trip?

She is coming along to Germany and Poland. There are 12 members of their staff going with them: Miguel Head, Rebecca Priestley née Deacon, Sir David Manning, an equerry, tour secretary, 2 logistic officers, 4 communication people and a personal assistant (likely Natasha Jackson née Archer)
The last two, the nanny and a hairdresser, are paid by them privately.

She is coming along to Germany and Poland. There are 12 members of their staff going with them: Miguel Head, Rebecca Priestley née Deacon, Sir David Manning, an equerry, tour secretary, 2 logistic officers, 4 communication people and a personal assistant (likely Natasha Jackson née Archer)

i wonder how the responsibilities divide between all these people when going on tour or even when they are in the UK. to me, the line between the tour secretary and the two 2 logistic officers, for example, is quite blurry.

do we know who will be replacing rebecca priestley as kate's secretary?

Tad surprised. IMO she seems a tad over qualified. While working in the royal household may be a great honor, such a position seems a stepping stone. To leave a position as a COO of a major college seems to be an odd career step. It would be slightly different if she was working with the foundation.

Perhaps it's just because Rebecca, girl Friday, seems to have been in a way a modern lady in waiting. And Catherine Quinn seems odd choice for that.

Tad surprised. IMO she seems a tad over qualified. While working in the royal household may be a great honor, such a position seems a stepping stone. To leave a position as a COO of a major college seems to be an odd career step. It would be slightly different if she was working with the foundation.

Perhaps it's just because Rebecca, girl Friday, seems to have been in a way a modern lady in waiting. And Catherine Quinn seems odd choice for that.

That's what I thought too. I also thought that means no more babies. I doubt she would appoint someone like that then work less hours.

I view the appointment very positively. Catherine Quinn will certainly not be a glorified lady in waiting. I think the appointment sends out a very strong signal that the role and the office of the Duchess of Cambridge is being beefed up. Expect to see higher profile engagements, and probably, an increasing focus on the effectiveness of the engagements as well.

An assistant private secretary was also hired according to Richard Palmer. Clearly we're going to see a more prominent Duchess of Cambridge.

An assistant private secretary was also hired according to Richard Palmer. Clearly we're going to see a more prominent Duchess of Cambridge.

Yes, full-time royal duties is no joke and the proper assistance is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom