Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We really don't know what hours the nanny works or how much Kate does or doesn't do. But I don't think she's doing the washing ,ironing ,cooking ,cleaning the bathroom ,cleaning the floor. So I don't think we need to worry about her and I don't think she would want us to she would know she's far better off than 90%of mothers.

We know some things about the nanny. By UK law every worker must receive at least 11 consecutive hours of rest in a 24-hour period.

Also, the EU allows a maximum of a 48 hour work week. You can only get around this by both parties signing a permission slip, that will allow for marginally more hours. With all the stalking the British press does they would have already found out if that permission slip had been registered with the government. Therefore all signs and laws point to the nanny working 48 hrs or less per week. So that leaves Catherine with the other 120 hrs.

Last edited:
I agree royal rob I don't understand why anyone would think that her getting up is the same as the rest of we peasants .... I think it NOTHING like my little lot ... is it just a bad set of snaps I think so...

Doesn't The Duchess of Cambridge have two Nannies and other staff?

They have one nanny at this point in time. Their previous nanny Jessie Webb only stayed until Maria was hired on. They do have other staff members but only one for childcare.

We know some things about the nanny. By UK law every worker must receive at least 11 consecutive hours of rest in a 24-hour period.

Also, the EU allows a maximum of a 48 hour work week. You can only get around this by both parties signing a permission slip, that will allow for marginally more hours. With all the stalking the British press does they would have already found out if that permission slip had been registered with the government. Therefore all signs and laws point to the nanny working 48 hrs or less per week. So that leaves Catherine with the other 120 hrs.

It depends on the contract. Lots of people in the city work 60 hours and more, they receive a fix salary plus bonus once a year, a pay-off for all working hours that are not registered. Maria is a live-in nanny, isnt she. I am sure they have other staff helping with child care but Maria is the main person, a nanny who also does educational stuff with the children.

It depends on the contract. Lots of people in the city work 60 hours and more, they receive a fix salary plus bonus once a year, a pay-off for all working hours that are not registered. Maria is a live-in nanny, isnt she. I am sure they have other staff helping with child care but Maria is the main person, a nanny who also does educational stuff with the children.

Not quite.

You're allowed to work more than 48 hrs if you're self-employed and are your own boss. The other exception is if you're a freelancer, you can determine to work more hrs. for each individual project. Otherwise, you have to register an agreement with the government. Considering the British press has published ever application the Cambridges ever put forward, i.e building a tennis court, low-aircraft flying restriction, etc. They wouldn't have ignored a registered labor amendment. Heck, they even published that the Cambridges had poached their housekeeper from Haakon and Mette-Marit. They do all the background checks.

It's a bit of a stretch to call Maria "live-in". She has her own apartment within the residence; her own bedroom, her own bathroom, her own kitchen, her own living room. When she's off-hours, she's on her own. It's no different from a barista living in an apartment above the coffee shop. All it does is make the commute easier.

Also, if the nanny is working the night-shift then she can only work a maximum of 8 hrs every 24 hrs. The UK government has special restrictions for night-shift workers.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that The British Royal family maintain their position as long as the State that public wish them to do so. Even ardent Monachist's and The Royal Family itself acknowledge this. The British Royal family do publish annual accounts because the money being spent is tax payers. Hence Tax payers want to know how many staff are employed and why. Ken Wharfe's recent comments, no matter what anyone's opinion of them, reflect some of the general public's concern over the Royal Families younger generation. It has been alleged to myself that The Cambridges have been told to maintain a more public prescence and that in the coming year this will be the case. The staff will be increased to reflect this.

It has been alleged to myself that The Cambridges have been told to maintain a more public prescence and that in the coming year this will be the case. The staff will be increased to reflect this.

Not sure who your contacts are inside Buckingham Palace but the 'public presence' of the Cambridges along with Prince Harry will remain roughly the same until their father becomes king.

Charles struggles as it is to fund five senior members of the royal family. Increasing staff only makes it more difficult.

I have to agree with Rudolph on this one. Although public opinion is very important to the monarchy, I don't believe that its a factor that changes the way the Firm operates.

Its my understanding that the taxpayer funding of the royal family isn't as monumental as many would want us to believe it is. Charles, himself, provides for his immediate family out of his income from the Duchy of Cornwall whereas for the rest of the family, their public expenses are covered by the Sovereign Grant

The Sovereign Grant is paid annually by the treasury at a value indexed as a percentage of the Government's revenues from the State owned Crown Estate and other revenues in the financial year two years earlier. It is based on an index percentage which was set at 15% and this is reviewed every five years by the Royal Trustees (the Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Keeper of the Privy Purse).

Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

The other royals are mainly funded by the Duchy of Lancaster money I believe. The Queen started doing this way before the switch to the sovereign grant so that the minor royals weren't getting the Civil List money to stop people from complaining about the taxpayers funding them. Sovereign grant more for palaces, entertaining and the Queen's staff at the palaces.

2016 will probably be like 2012 with the level of activity especially if Kate doesn't get pregnant again. They should not need to increase their staff just not schedule Harry during the Cambridges tour and vice versa. That's something they normally don't do anyways.

H, W, K all have their own private secretaries but the press people can be thin so if WK are in India so is all the press secretaries so it would not be wise for Harry to do 5 events in 4 days at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Isn't Charles funding their lifestyle? And of course Williams has his own money from his mother and his wages. So would their household be listed as it is privately funded? How could we know how much household staff they have? A cook, a laundress, a maid or two who may be dailies? Garners, etc.It is really none of our business, but all to the good the more they employ, IMO.managing employees is certainly not trouble free

Last edited:
Isn't Charles funding their lifestyle? And of course Williams has his own money from his mother and his wages. So would their household be listed as it is privately funded? How could we know how much household staff they have? A cook, a laundress, a maid or two who may be dailies? Garners, etc.It is really none of our business, but all to the good the more they employ, IMO.managing employees is certainly not trouble free

I would think that a lot of times, they have help when needed. For example, if W&K go to India and leave the children home, it would be a benefit to then hire a secondary nanny as Maria can't work 24/7 on duty to care for them. They may plan a formal dinner party at Anmer and that's when they'd hire in a chef and his crew for the preparations. It would make sense for the housekeeper to do the grocery shopping rather than have Kate known to always shop at X and the business interrupted by gawkers and paps and whatnot and then scads of articles in the Fail about what the Cambridge household eats and whatever else they can dream up to sell papers.

For the most part though, I imagine they live quietly as a family at Anmer and have a relatively small household staff and may hire in extra help for when they're in London for some heavy duty cleaning. It may be a bit different at Apt 1A as when they're in London, they have places to go and people to see and engagements to do and it would be hectic to say the least. Perhaps there Kate would use a personal hairdresser and extra child care if needed. As most of their days are planned quite well in advance, should the extra help be needed, they can schedule them easily for such and such a date and know they're covered.

They live well and have the world at their fingertips but I think they're down to earth enough that they don't live lavishly or extravagantly.

I would think when William and Kate go to India, Nanny Maria will take the kids to Buckleberry to hang with Carole and Mike.

The Cambridges staff are under the wing of Clarence House. They can use the resources of the Clarence House staff too.

Some British tax payers may argue that they have every right to know where their tax money is being spent and by whom.

The Duchy of Cornwall is not the UK taxpayers' money. That and William's private income funds their staff and private lives.

Some British tax payers may argue that they have every right to know where their tax money is being spent and by whom.

Thats fair, though the Cambridge's don't use public funds.

The information is published every year. The funding source is the Duchy of Cornwall, and the Prince of Wales pays taxes on his income.

It will be interesting to see who takes and picks up George from his preschool everyday ! I'm tipping it won't be Kate everyday after the first few times.

Hmm I think Kate might try to do it as much as possible as I get the vibe she wants to be hands on, maybe she will do a few days a week, the Nanny a few days and William when he can. Remember when Will and Harry were at school the media pretty much left them alone in terms of following them around etc so I think they will be able to drop off / pick up George if they want to.
I think its clear the couple have more staff then we know, a housekeeper and a nanny can't look after Anmer by themselves, someone has to look after the gardens, maybe a cleaner or two come to visit a few times each week.

Last edited:
George will probably have multiple RPOs with him for preschool. They will probably take him back and forth. They will have to stay with him during the school day anyways . His parents probably takes him his first day.

Personally I doubt they will take him themselves, are the nursery staff going to talk to the RPOs about what he has done in the day? What he ate and who he played with?

The RPOs are their to protect him from threats not act as a parents, I think another adult, parents, nanny, granny Middleton, will take him even if the RPOs drive them and stay with him.

Personally I doubt they will take him themselves, are the nursery staff going to talk to the RPOs about what he has done in the day? What he ate and who he played with?

The RPOs are their to protect him from threats not act as a parents, I think another adult, parents, nanny, granny Middleton, will take him even if the RPOs drive them and stay with him.
I agree. I mean.. it's not their duty to take notes on "he peed his pants todays so we need a new pair for tomorrow but otherwise the day went great" stuff. They are there to keep him from harm. I think the Nanny and Kate will do it mostly.

I think the Nanny and Kate will do it mostly.

I agree...I think one of the advantages/ consideration to the choice of school for George is that it is on a private road - very nice for security.

:previous: private road can mean many things.

I live on a private road - and that means that it is "not adopted" by the local authority. In turn that means the residents are responsible for maintenance.

Private does not necessarily mean no access, and certainly wont mean gated. Having seen the pictures, I should think its similar to where I live, although I don't have an RPO parked outside.

I think the Cambridges almost certainly employ more than one gardener, considering the size of the grounds surrounding the house at Anmer and the kitchen gardens.

It's the same with the house. A place that size would be too much for one housekeeper, and it's ridiculous to think that Kate rushes round mopping the kitchen floor and washing the windows. She may do a bit of tidying up and some dusting of personal possessions like ornaments at the most.

Similarly with the RPOs rooms and even nanny Maria. I don't think Maria does the hard cleaning (mopping, scrubbing, hoovering) in her apartment. There are probably at least a half a dozen gardeners employed at Anmer and three or four cleaners who come in on a regular basis, especially when the family has visitors.

They may have only one housekeeper to manage the house and staff but numerous other staff to clean the house.

Here is something from Wikipedia on the type of staff from Bagshot from 1881.

The 1881 census records an equerry and 26 servants living in the main house: an under butler, a housekeeper, four valets, two lady's maids, two dressers, a cook, three kitchen maids, three housemaids, three footmen, a page, a porter, a scullery maid, two other junior posts and a soldier. A coachman and seven grooms lived in the stables. Two other domestic staff lived in one of the lodges, three agricultural workers lived in another, and one gardener is recorded as living on the estate.

I think W&K current staff is somewhat similar with some exceptions and some reductions and additions.

A butler, a housekeeper, a valet, a lady's maid, a dresser, a cook, a few kitchen maids, a few housemaids, a chauffeur or two or their PO are also their drivers and a gardener and several agricultural workers and a few maintenance worker, a mechanic or two.

Including the nanny but excluding the POs, William and Catherine's indoor staff probably is around a dozen. Their outdoor staff is probably around ten.

Most of their 'indoor' staff probably moves with them from KP to Anmer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagshot_Park

Last edited:
I think the Cambridges almost certainly employ more than one gardener, considering the size of the grounds surrounding the house at Anmer and the kitchen gardens.
Now that you have said this, I am dying to see a pap snap of Wills (or Kate for that matter) out on the riding lawnmower doing the lawn. I've always found it to be entertaining, ME time, to figure out ways to get it all cut while creating the least greenhouse gas possible.
Honestly, what do royals do when the son desperately wants to learn to cut the grass? Because kids do, you know?
Maybe we will find out. Maybe Charlotte will have an affection for the turf of a different kind beyond the horse races. :whistling:

Now that you have said this, I am dying to see a pap snap of Wills (or Kate for that matter) out on the riding lawnmower doing the lawn. I've always found it to be entertaining, ME time, to figure out ways to get it all cut while creating the least greenhouse gas possible.
Honestly, what do royals do when the son desperately wants to learn to cut the grass? Because kids do, you know?
Maybe we will find out. Maybe Charlotte will have an affection for the turf of a different kind beyond the horse races. :whistling:
Most kids growing up with hired help do not associate the tasks the help performs as something for them to aspire to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom