The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Nobility

I just really don't agree. That's like expecting a divorce. It's makes both parties seem untrustworthy or like they don't trust each other. I don't think that's the point of marriage. It's really a bit selfish in thinking.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I just really don't agree. That's like expecting a divorce. It's makes both parties seem untrustworthy or like they don't trust each other. I don't think that's the point of marriage. It's really a bit selfish in thinking.
I rather say it's more moving along with the times. We live in a day where married couples don't stay together until death do them part or live through domestic abuse "because you promised to stay together".

I do agree that it is unromantic but marriage is not solely romantic - it is also a lot of work. It takes effort on both parts and - imo most important - good communication.
I also think that married couples divorce much too quickly in these days, but the institution of marriage - or at least how it is perceived - is not what it was like 50 years ago.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I kind of agree with your Ann. This was discussed on another forum I posted not regards to William and Kate but just marriage in general asking if people would get a prenup. Some said yes mostly to protect their assets that they personnel had before the marriage. Others felt it was a bad omen that it was predicting that they would divorce. Some felt it was reality that most marriages unfortunately do not last in this day in age. It seemed pretty down the line of those who were for prenups and those not for them

As far Kate and William - I think that a personnel decision. If they have one/want one great if not fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Gentry

Prenups aren't valid in UK courts, it's an American thing.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Majesty

They are however considered by the courts in a dispute - if there is one the courts will look at it but they don't have to agree to its terms.

I think a pre-nup is a good idea if it spells out things like custody of kids and settlements so that is arranged in advance before the bitterness and malice sets in that is aimed at destroying the other party - too bad about the kids and their emotional well-being.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They are however considered by the courts in a dispute - if there is one the courts will look at it but they don't have to agree to its terms.

I think a pre-nup is a good idea if it spells out things like custody of kids and settlements so that is arranged in advance before the bitterness and malice sets in that is aimed at destroying the other party - too bad about the kids and their emotional well-being.
I agree. Have a pre-nup and work hard that you never have to use it, and marriage is hard work
Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

The one thing a prenup can't do- at least in the US- is deal with issues relating to children. Their best interests must be decided at the time of the divorce and may forever change depending on the circumstances.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

I think prenups are a good idea, and I understand why people think they are unromantic and why are you already thinking about a divorce when you are getting married. As previously mentioned, divorces tend to turn into bitter matches and if you have everythign spelled out in the beginning (except for the kids of course) than hopefully the bitterness will be at a nil.

That being said, I don't think William will do a prenup. If they were to break up, I think that Kate would be well provided for and lets face it...in regards to children....they will (and I hate to use this term) are the proprty (or main concern) of the Crown so that custody will be shared without a doubt.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM

I think its a good way for both of them there should be
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM

i request Prince william to make his marriage life wonderful with catherine so its better he not think of prenup
Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Personally I think that after what happened with his parents and his Uncle, the Firm will insist that he have a prenup. I think it will be part of the whole package of marrying William. I don't think he (they) will really have a choice in the matter. Even with out one, she will be taken care of either way, especially if there are children involved. But I'm sure the firm will feel better if they have it down on paper, so she will know what to expect before, during and after.
But that is just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Majesty

After the War of the Wales, which was designed as much as anything else to ensure that Diana got herself a hugh payout, spelling out what the settlement would be in the case of a divorce and the access rights to the children in general terms (after all the custody of royal children always rest with the monarch in the end anyway - so yes the Queen could have legally taken custody of William and Harry and denied access to either parent if she had so desired) would reduce the chance of another PR disaster in the case of a divorce.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think prenups are a good idea, and I understand why people think they are unromantic and why are you already thinking about a divorce when you are getting married. As previously mentioned, divorces tend to turn into bitter matches and if you have everythign spelled out in the beginning (except for the kids of course) than hopefully the bitterness will be at a nil.

That being said, I don't think William will do a prenup. If they were to break up, I think that Kate would be well provided for and lets face it...in regards to children....they will (and I hate to use this term) are the proprty (or main concern) of the Crown so that custody will be shared without a doubt.
Pre-nups are primarily concerned with financial security and the division of assets. Catherine's financial security is not in doubt (even if she has no children).

While the division of the children's time is probably a major problem in many divorces. it is probably a difficult thing to address in a pre-nup. Regardless of what you say in a pre-nup, the reality of children is very difficult to address up front. For instance, if you specify equal visitation time in a pre-nup, and then one parent charges the other one with being abusive, the wording in the pre-nup will carry no weight.

The problems of a royal divorce are more concerned with media airing of fights, behavior and intimate details. Trying to address these things in a legal document prior to marriage would be nearly impossible.

While some may disagree with me, the four royal divorces (Pss Margaret, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Pss Anne) were not particularly acrimonious as far as divorces go. No children were ill-treated as both parents seemed very concerned with the well-being of the children. No one was destroyed financially. They were fairly ordinary divorces but magnified because so many details were played out in the public eye.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes they should!
I think it would be silly of them not to have one...especially considering the track record of this royal family.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Courtier

We will never know. It will not be made public unless there is a divorce.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Courtier

^ i agree!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
We will never know. It will not be made public unless there is a divorce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
^ i agree!
Indeed we will never know unless *that* happens, but that is not the purpose of this thread. The question is should they have one, not will they have one.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Courtier

i was posting underneath crown princess 5's comment, and i never realized another one had been submitted in the mean time!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
i was posting underneath crown princess 5's comment, and i never realized another one had been submitted in the mean time!
Ah, then I placed your comment in the wrong context.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Gentry

Pre-nups are the invention of lawyers to protect the assets of wealthy families. There will never be any question of Catherine being able to strip assets from the BRF in the case of divorce so I don't think there is a need for a pre-nup.

The BRF don't strike me as unfair in terms of the settlements (what we know of them) for the previous divorces, and as someone posted previously the real issue of access and custodial arrangements for the children is impossible to define prior to their existence.

If their relationship does break down then Catherine should just follow Diana's path and hire the best divorce lawyer in Britain.