Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlotteAmalia

Aristocracy
City
in the south of Germany
Country
Germany
I was wondering if William is suitable to be a King one day.

Just an imagination: The Queen dies in 2020. Charles will be King then as George VII. 2030 Charles/George VII. dies and William (V.) will become King.

Is he suitable for this "job"?
What particular instance has helped you to form your opinion regarding William or Harry ?
Do you think that his or their education and experience thus far has helped learn what he/they must do as king?

What i expect from a future King:

- a degree in Law, Economics or Politics
- a year or more at an university abroad. For example if you did a LLB in UK, then a Master degree in Politics abroad.
- English and two other languages fluent.
- a internship in two ministries (foreign affairs and something else)
- some military training

I do not want to offend anyone, but i always had a problem with William's poor education.
I have the feeling that he is far too much focused on the military training. He is a Lieutenant in the Household Cavalry and a search and rescue Pilot in the Royal Air Force.

William had been to university. He has a degree in Geography ( 2:1) and has studied history of art before at St Andrews University. But from somebody who might be King in some years, i would expect more - especially a better academic training in law (constitutional law) and politics.

I do not know what languages are spoken by William. I guess he speaks some French and Spanish, but is not fluent in one of them. But a king should be as good as any diplomat. They (at least the german ones) need to speak German, English and another UN-language (French for example) at a very high level/fluent.

He has not been abroad a lot. I would imagine a degree in France (Good for languages abilities and academic degree) or a internship at the UN. He did a gap year in which he visited Chile, Belize, worked on British dairy farms and visited countries in Africa and some other official or charity visites abroad. This is not the international academic career I would expect.

Just to show the difference to other princes close to the throne:

Haakon of Norway:
In 1995 he graduated from the Royal Norwegian Naval Academy in Bergen. In autumn 1996 he moved to the USA to study at the University of California at Berkeley, and received his BA in political science in spring 1999. The following autumn the Crown Prince was a member of Norway’s third delegation to the UN General Assembly. In 2001 he followed the Foreign Ministry’s trainee programme for diplomats, and completed his education in 2003 at the London School of Economics and Political Science, where he was awarded an MA in development studies, specializing in international trade and Africa.
He speaks Norwegian, English, German (just a bit). I don't know if he speaks more languages.

Victoria of Sweden: (from Wikipedia)
She next studied for a year (1996/97) at the Université Catholique de l'Ouest at Angers in France, and in the fall term of 1997 participated in a special program following the work of the Parliament of Sweden. During the years 1998 to 2000, Victoria resided in the United States, where she studied various subjects at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut.

In May 1999 she was an intern at the Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. In 2000, she studied conflict resolution and international peacekeeping at the Swedish National Defence College (Försvarshögskolan). Victoria followed the Swedish presidency of the European Union and completed a study program at the Government Offices (Rosenbad) in 2001.

During spring semester 2002, Victoria completed a study program with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and in June and September was an intern at the United Nations in New York; in the fall she was an intern at the Swedish Trade Council's offices in Berlin and Paris. In 2003, Victoria's education continued with visits to Swedish businesses, a study and intern program in agriculture and forestry, as well as completion of the basic soldier training at SWEDINT (the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre).

In 2004, Victoria continued with visits to Swedish businesses, and that fall she continued with courses in political science, international relations and conflict resolution at the Swedish National Defence College. In 2005, she continued with private tutored studies in society-related subjects as well as some courses at the University of Stockholm.
In 2006, Victoria enrolled in the Ministry for Foreign Affairs' Diplomat Program, running from September 2006 to June 2007. The program is a training program for young future diplomats and gives an insight to the ministry's work, Swedish foreign and security policies and Sweden's relations with the rest of the world. The education entails lectures, seminars, group work and visits to authorities and institutions. In 2007, Victoria studied French privately and held an internship at the Permanent Representation of Sweden to the European Union. In June 2009, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Uppsala University

She speaks Swedish, German, English and French.

She did a basic military training.

Frederik of Denmark:

In 1989, the crown prince began to study for an academic degree, when he began a course in Political Science at University of Aarhus. This included a year at Harvard University (1992–1993) under the name of Frederik Henriksen, studying political science. He then took up a position for three months with the Danish UN mission in New York in 1994. In 1995 Crown Prince Frederik obtained his MA degree in Political Science from University of Aarhus. He completed the course in the prescribed number of years with an exam result above average. His final paper was an analysis on the foreign policy of the Baltic States. And he visited these countries several times during his studies.[1][2] The Crown Prince was posted as First Secretary to the Danish Embassy in Paris from October 1998 to October 1999.

He has completed extensive military studies and training in all three services, notably completing education as a sailor in the naval elite special operations forces (members of this are known as frogmen or frømænd in Danish). His frogman nickname is "Pingo".[3]

In the period 2001 and 2002, the Crown Prince completed further training for leaders at the Royal Danish Defence College. Crown Prince Frederik remains active in the defence, and in the period 2002–2003 served as a staff officer at Defence Command Denmark, and from 2003 as a senior lecturer with the Institute of Strategy at the Royal Danish Defence College.

The Crown Prince’s mother tongue is Danish. In addition, Crown Prince Frederik speaks French, English and German.

Willem of Orange-Nassau:

After high school he performed military service in the Royal Netherlands Navy from August 1985 to January 1987. He received his training at the Royal Netherlands Naval College and the frigates HNLMS Tromp and HNLMS Abraham Crijnssen, where he was an ensign. In 1988, he received additional training at the ship HNLMS Van Kinsbergen and became a lieutenant (junior grade).[6]

From 1987, Prince Willem-Alexander studied history at Leiden UniversityFrance's decision under President Charles de Gaulle to leave NATO's integrated command structure.[1] and received his academic degree in 1993. His final dissertation was on the Dutch response to

He went on to study government and the constitutional system, and visited ministries and the High Councils of State to learn how central government and other authorities function. He also visited the European institutions. He then completed an introductory programme with the Dutch business community.

He speaks Dutch, German, English fluently. I do not know if he speaks other languages.

Philippe of Belgium:

Prince Philippe was educated at the Belgian Royal Military School. From 1978 to 1981 he continued his education at Oxford University's Trinity College and finally attended Graduate School at Stanford University, California where he graduated in 1985 with an MA degree in Political Science.

He was appointed as a Second Lieutenant in 1980 and obtained his fighter pilot's wings and his certificates as a parachutist and a commando. In 1989, the Prince attended a series of special sessions at the Royal Higher Defence Institute. The same year, he was promoted to Colonel. On 25 March 2001, the Prince was appointed to the rank of Major-General in the Land Component and the Air Component and to the rank of Rear-Admiral in the Naval Component.

Prince Philippe has headed more than forty important economic missions

He speaks French, Dutch and English fluently. Might be German and italian as well, but not sure.

Felipe of Spain:
Felipe attended high school at Lakefield College School in Ontario, Canada,

From September 1985 to July 1988, His Royal Highness trained at the General Military Academy in Zaragoza, the Naval School in Marin and the General Academy of the Air Force in San Javier, and in July 1989 received despatches as Infantry Lieutenant, Sub-Lieutenant and Lieutenant of the Air Arm.

From October 1988 to June 1993, he studied at the Autonomous University of Madrid and graduated with a degree in Law. He also studied a number of subjects from the Economics syllabus in order to round off his training in that area.

In September 1993, he enrolled for a Master's degree in International Relations at the Edmund Walsh School of Foreign Service at the University of Georgetown (Washington DC), graduating on 26 May 1995.

The ranks he holds in the Spanish Armed Forces today are those of Lieutenant Colonel of the General Land Army Corps (Infantry), Commander in the General Navy and Wing Commander of the General Air Force. He is also a helicopter pilot, qualified for instrument flight in Air Force Squadron 402. He has his Helicopter Pilot's Wings for both the Land Army and the Navy.

From September 1999 to June 2000, he attended a refresher course in Security and Defence.
Felipe speaks Spanish, Catalan, French, English and some Greek

While I agree that William's choice of a degree was odd and should've studied political science instead, I really think time will tell if he's ready to be King.

He won't inherit the throne for another 30 years. He's got plenty of time for the training. All the other heirs you mentioned were all first in line to the throne.

Interesting...but William will not just be king of the United Kingdom but of 15 of other realms. That's a lot of economies and a lot of politics to study...embassies and UN delegations to intern with...not including the languages and customs of each realm. Quite a lot to just familiarize oneself with let alone seek a diploma of academic study.

While I agree that William's choice of a degree was odd and should've studied political science instead, I really think time will tell if he's ready to be King.

He won't inherit the throne for another 30 years. He's got plenty of time for the training. All the other heirs you mentioned were all first in line to the throne.

yes, your are right, they are even more close to the throne. But it is a question to everybody when you are done with school (A-levels or what ever), how to achieve your goals or your mission. So i do not see a big difference between the crown princes and william.

Charles didn't (or at least not officially) improve his law, politics or diplomatic education after he finished his history degree and his military service. In 1977 Charles finished every kind of education. Since then he is involved in charities and state visits. Charles has a "profile" now, because he focuses on organic food, enviromental issues and architecture. Also his hobbies are special, like the painting and theatre or gardening.

I do not believe William will start an internship with the UN, a MBA-degree in Paris or a diplomatic training, once he is done with his military service. He is married then and has a child perhaps. I think he will always try to live a low-profile life. That is why they (W and C) are staying in Wales the next years. I have the fear, that william will stay without a proper interest (like Charles organic food and environmental issues, Willem Alexander's water management). Some people are calling William "boring" and i fear he could be some kind of "empty shell".

----------------------
(Haakon, born 1973, crown prince since 1991 (aged 17),
Victoria, born 1977, crown princess since 1980 (aged 2),
Frederik, born 1968, crown prince since 1972 (aged 3),
Willem-Alexander, born 1967, crown prince since 1980 (aged 13),
Philippe, born 1960, crown prince since 1993 (aged 33),
Felipe, born 1968, crown prince since 1975/86 (aged 7))

Just an imagination: The Queen dies in 2020. Charles will be King then as George VII. 2030 Charles/George VII.

What makes you think Charles has chosen the regal name George? Where is your source for this?

What i expect from a future King
- a degree in Law, Economics or Politics
- a year or more at an university abroad. For example if you did a LLB in UK, then a Master degree in Politics abroad.
- English and two other languages fluent.
- a internship in two ministries (foreign affairs and something else)
- some military training

Queen Elizabeth doesn't have any form of degree, she never partcipated in university abroad. She is fluent in languages other than English but I don't know if they were learnt before she became Queen. She had a little military training and no internship with anyone. I don't see why he "needs" any of this when his grandmother has done a fantastic job without any of these things.

But from somebody who might be King in some years, i would expect more - especially a better academic training in law (constitutional law) and politics.

Why should he have a training in Law, when he will not be getting involved in the politics of his country or the day to day running which will be parliaments job?

I do not know what languages are spoken by William. I guess he speaks some French and Spanish, but is not fluent in one of them. But a king should be as good as any diplomat. They (at least the german ones) need to speak German, English and another UN-language (French for example) at a very high level/fluent.

I agree he should learn some new languages, especially Welsh and perhaps German.

This is not the international academic career I would expect.

It's not the academic career that any British Prince/ss has ever recieved, so why should William change that.
The future Monarch of Europe have experienced academic education in other parts of the world, but that's not what the British do.

What he needs to know, he can learn from his grandmother.
I see nothing wrong with Williams education or the way he is progressing. I would like to see him learn Welsh however.

It's interesting to me that there is such a big difference in the preparations taken by other European heirs vs. British. Thank you, Charlotte Amalia, for pointing it out. It's as though they (W-A, Phillippe, Frederik, Victoria, etc.) are preparing for a bigger day-to-day involvement in affairs of state than Charles/William.

Britain has always seemed insulated from the rest of Europe, IMO, and not just geographically. Also, HM QEII has served so long and so well with little formal education and plenty (heaps) of real world experience to her credit that perhaps that family or the British public, in general, doesn't expect any different. I don't know the day-to-day workings of each monarchy but it would appear that the British roles are much more ceremonial (therefore taking less formal education/language/experience abroad) than their European counterparts.

I know that if I were preparing to be head of state one day, I'd benefit from more education and not less. :whistling:

There isn't a degree in Being King 101. When it comes down to it, experience is all that can make William a good King.

Charles is the next King and imo he is very well prepared, better than any of his peers. At this very moment, William isnt suited to be King at all but he doesnt have to. Charles grew with age and opportunities and HOPEFULLY, so will William, that one day he will be the the same position as his father is now, next in line and well prepared.

Politics and King of England, never the twain shall meet, therefore, the idea of a future monarch studying political science is a foreign idea in the UK and Commonwealth.

William has had extensive constitutional instructions directly from the monarch, his Queen and Grandmother. Like past kings of his future realm, he is devoted to military service which is some of the very best life experience any person can have.

He is in touch with his people, sleeping rough, packing CARE packages for the Red Cross, visiting the sick and homeless, joining and teaching children in sport and much more. Such as the protection of endangered animal species, worldwide. He is a hands-on person.

He speaks some Welch, some Swahili, is fluent in French and Spanish and knows a good deal of Italian.

He will be a very dedicated King and bring much to the table. No worries about William. William is warm, compassionate and enthusiastic with great skills in all that is truly important.

I truly admire Haakon but Berkeley? Sighs~~~ There you get another sort of education, not always academic. I know, I've been there a lot. In fact, Mette Marit would almost have been a typical student there.

Where have you heard that William is fluent in French and Spanish, Marie of The Sea?

What makes you think Charles has chosen the regal name George? Where is your source for this?
I wrote "an imagination" before that. There is no source to that. But some years ago it was written in the news, that Charles would use the name George when he becomes a King.
(article: Call me George, suggests Charles - Times Online )

Queen Elizabeth doesn't have any form of degree, she never partcipated in university abroad. She is fluent in languages other than English but I don't know if they were learnt before she became Queen. She had a little military training and no internship with anyone. I don't see why he "needs" any of this when his grandmother has done a fantastic job without any of these things.

(...)
It's not the academic career that any British Prince/ss has ever recieved, so why should William change that.
The future Monarch of Europe have experienced academic education in other parts of the world, but that's not what the British do.

What he needs to know, he can learn from his grandmother.
I see nothing wrong with Williams education or the way he is progressing. I would like to see him learn Welsh however.

But time has changes. When the Queen was young, there was war in Europe. She married at a very early age and had children.
And she was a girl. That does not make a difference today (at least to me), but it made a difference then. Her father had been to university at least for a year, and so did Albert Victor and Edward VIII.
I think Elizabeth's education was influenced by the war, her early marriage and the fact that she is female. It was suitable for a girl then to have some knowledge about literature and languages, playing the piano, needlework, how to cook and care for the kids and overall just waiting for a husband. And some parts of the society stick to that pattern, when you look a the biography in terms of education of Diana and Camilla. I'm sorry to say so.

But women younger than the queen got a better education. Margrethe of Denmark (born 1940 ) has studied at university for 5 years and her subject was politics and economics from 1961 to 1965.
Beatrix, born 1938, had been at Leiden University from 1965 on.

Education is a huge value in most parts of the world.

Why should he have a training in Law, when he will not be getting involved in the politics of his country or the day to day running which will be parliaments job?
Even if the real power is by the parliament, he still will be the head of state. And this is a special role in every country and even more special with no core constitutional document. In Germany the head of state (Bundespräsident) is elected (by the Bundesversammlung , federal convention). He does not have more power than the queen. If it was up to me, i would not vote for somebody without a degree and a political or economical career.
If i were British, i would want a king who is bright and has shown this through his education. He should have a huge philosophical, historical, legal, economical and sociological knowledge. Otherwise i would not accept him as a head of state.

And even if he would not be head of state, he would be the head of one of the richest families in the world. If you inherit a family buisness, i would think it is very usefull to have an economic degree.

Last edited:
I wrote "an imagination" before that. There is no source to that. But some years ago it was written in the news, that Charles would use the name George when he becomes a King.
(article: Call me George, suggests Charles - Times Online )

And years ago he said he wanted to be Defender of Faith, he hasn't said anything since.

But time has changes. When the Queen was young, there was war in Europe. She married at a very early age and had children.
And she was a girl. That does not make a difference today (at least to me), but it made a difference then. Her father had been to university at least for a year, and so did Albert Victor and Edward VIII.
I think Elizabeth's education was influenced by the war, her early marriage and the fact that she is female. It was suitable for a girl then to have some knowledge about literature and languages, playing the piano, needlework, how to cook and care for the kids and overall just waiting for a husband. And some parts of the society stick to that pattern, when you look a the biography in terms of education of Diana and Camilla. I'm sorry to say so.

She was going to become Queen, why would an education in history have mattered when she was going to be told everything she needed to know throughout her reign. Like i've said previously; there is not a degree in Being a Monarch 101, nothing he learns from a lecture or a proffessor is going to help him become a King, experience will do that.

If i were British, i would want a king who is bright and has shown this through his education. He should have a huge philosophical, historical, legal, economical and sociological knowledge. Otherwise i would not accept him as a head of state.

We don't vote for our head of state, if we wanted to vote for a head of state we could ask for a republic as of yet we haven't.

He shouldn't have anything like that, he recieved a 2:1 from the University of St Andrews which is an massive achievement and shows he is incredible bright. He has no control over the day to day running of his country, or the commonwealth, legal and economical education would be of no use to him. He will be told what he needs to know and when he needs to know it. 5 years of wasted education on something he is never going to use, isn't going to benefit him being a King. Experience is.

And even if he would not be head of state, he would be the head of one of the richest families in the world. If you inherit a family buisness, i would think it is very usefull to have an economic degree.

That's what accountants, and legal advisors and the people in charge of the royal familys money are for. People who have trained for that specific job. Do you think Bill Gates takes care of his money on a day to day basis, deals with the paper work etc? Somehow I doubt that.

Will as King

Interesting...but William will not just be king of the United Kingdom but of 15 of other realms. That's a lot of economies and a lot of politics to study...embassies and UN delegations to intern with...not including the languages and customs of each realm. Quite a lot to just familiarize oneself with let alone seek a diploma of academic study.

It true that should Will become King it could take at least 30 years.

His degree in geography could underlay an interest is astro which is to do with the air and water in part and soil for the earth; perhaps its global warming that interests him and an ambassadorial role is his training and immediate to medium term future rather than an more obvious route of economics and politics which I believe he is already both versed in and involved in respectively together with an understanding of defence and some civil issues from his army training. Well thought out if so. :cool:

On a more day to day note I think the Bank of England will always be considered the authority on finances and some economic issues together with government in the UK. Any european fiscal matters are taken care of by the EU which leave the commonwealth and sovereignty.

I think the laws of sovereignty and commonwealth are propably more of interest of Queen and future Kings and Queens than a law degree.

UK, European, Commonwealth and Sovereignty issues are where the importance and power of the realm lie.

The UN is an interesting topic and a broad one. Will it be global warming or solar power that will win the ticket of ebiquitious authority or fiscal under management where the hearts of us all lay. Who will wear the crown at the beginning and end of any political topic?

Though I imagine any strong sovereignty rely on not only the immediate but outer reaches of their family to build relationships to ensure all these and many other areas and matters of interest are covered.

Who shall be King...

Commonwealth is a traditional English term for a political community founded for the common good.

The Commonwealth of Nations, normally referred to as the Commonwealth and formerly known as the British Commonwealth, is an intergovernmental organisation of fifty-four independent member states. Headquarters are in London.

Is William suitable to be King is an irrelevant question. He has the only qualification he needs to have to take on that position - he is the eldest son of the eldest son of the monarch.

The education of the monarch's doesn't matter at all as all they need for the job is to be born in the right position in the right family. Therefore is William suitable to be King - yes.

Is William suitable to be King is an irrelevant question. He has the only qualification he needs to have to take on that position - he is the eldest son of the eldest son of the monarch.

The education of the monarch's doesn't matter at all as all they need for the job is to be born in the right position in the right family. Therefore is William suitable to be King - yes.

Say that also in the Denmark forum - same question asked about Prince Frederik. And I think you are looking at this in a purely (too) technical way.

Say that also in the Denmark forum - same question asked about Prince Frederik. And I think you are looking at this in a purely (too) technical way.

Not really - it wouldn't matter what education, experience etc he had. He is suitable to be King for the simple reason of his birth.

He could have failed all the way through school, never got a job, been a playboy and he still would be suitable to be king because all he needs is to be born.

She was going to become Queen, why would an education in history have mattered when she was going to be told everything she needed to know throughout her reign. Like i've said previously; there is not a degree in Being a Monarch 101, nothing he learns from a lecture or a proffessor is going to help him become a King, experience will do that.

Yes, but wouldn't it be helpful to him to also have some of the experience that CharlotteAmalia suggested? Such as interning somewhere like the UN and studying abroad to get a feel of other cultures? Yes, I know he went to Africa and South America for his gap year. Also, I don't see him having gotten a degree in Economics, Political Science, or International Relations as a hindrance or useless to his future reign. I think it would have helped him to have a better understanding of the day-to-day politics of the UK. I mean, really, what's the point of his degree in Geography? Does it help him in the military, most likely yes. But he will not be in the military forever. If he understands the aspects of his own government well it would only help him to be a better king. So I agree with CharlotteAmalia that he could be doing more to prepare himself for his future role, whether he is second in line or first in line.

kippy
user_online.gif

Nobility
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

I agree with both of you and thank you for realising my point.

It is Charlie that will be crowned King at next coronation.

Yes, but wouldn't it be helpful to him to also have some of the experience that CharlotteAmalia suggested? Such as interning somewhere like the UN and studying abroad to get a feel of other cultures? Yes, I know he went to Africa and South America for his gap year. Also, I don't see him having gotten a degree in Economics, Political Science, or International Relations as a hindrance or useless to his future reign. I think it would have helped him to have a better understanding of the day-to-day politics of the UK. I mean, really, what's the point of his degree in Geography? Does it help him in the military, most likely yes. But he will not be in the military forever. If he understands the aspects of his own government well it would only help him to be a better king. So I agree with CharlotteAmalia that he could be doing more to prepare himself for his future role, whether he is second in line or first in line.

He will be told everything he needs to know, why waste years of your life at university when you're going to be told what you need to know when the time comes?

Not really - it wouldn't matter what education, experience etc he had. He is suitable to be King for the simple reason of his birth.

He could have failed all the way through school, never got a job, been a playboy and he still would be suitable to be king because all he needs is to be born.

IMO it depends on how you view 'suitability' - being born in a certain position or with a certain outlook doesn't automatically mean that you are suitable or capable of living up to it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

it came to my mind when reading the same question about Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark ( http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/crown-prince-frederiks-suitability-to-be-king-14778.html )

Every citizen of the Commonwealth Realms could get involved in a republican movement, which might end in an change of constitution from monarchy to republic. I'm not a expert on constitutional law, so i do not know the procedure of a change of constitution.
So it is very important for most royal families if the people like them, if the people believe they are doing a good job and if the heir is suitable to be King.

But Skippy is right: We have to agree that we disagree about William's suitability.

Last edited:
William, like Charles before him, has been trained to be King by the best training possible - the incumbent.

As William already is eligible to be a Counsellor of State (like Charles, Harry and Andrew) he has a solid understanding of what it entailed.

When Charles becomes King, if not sooner, he will start getting regular briefings from the government of the day about what is happening. Charles does that now (he gets a summary of the papers sent to the Queen each day and often full copies of the stuff as well - there is even a small horse-drawn carriage that takes the documents from BP to CH - I was at the Mews one day when it returned and asked what it was for and was told 'It takes the government's documents from the Queen to the Prince of Wales and then brings them back again when they are both in London')

William, like Charles before him, has been trained to be King by the best training possible - the incumbent.

As William already is eligible to be a Counsellor of State (like Charles, Harry and Andrew) he has a solid understanding of what it entailed.

When Charles becomes King, if not sooner, he will start getting regular briefings from the government of the day about what is happening. Charles does that now (he gets a summary of the papers sent to the Queen each day and often full copies of the stuff as well - there is even a small horse-drawn carriage that takes the documents from BP to CH - I was at the Mews one day when it returned and asked what it was for and was told 'It takes the government's documents from the Queen to the Prince of Wales and then brings them back again when they are both in London')

Your original post stated something different to me. I leave it at that.

How much politics and economics does the monarch need to know? They will be briefed by staff I imagine but they aren't involved in policy or diplomatic negotiation. I would argue that he needs some experience in representation and practical experience such as taking part in state visits would be valuable. Also, some training in management may be a good idea as royal courts are organizations which exist at least partly to sell themselves and their country.

Your original post stated something different to me. I leave it at that.

My original post states the facts - the only thing needed to be suitable is birth.

That doesn't mean that the incumbent doesn't do something to prepare their heir/s, which is what my most recent post explained.

Queen Victoria basically did none of this preparation for her son but he still was able to do the job and do it very well. His only qualification to be King was being born. He had no training and still was popular and respected both at home and abroad.

The preparation is irrelevant to the order of birth. That the Queen has given her descendents some training doesn't change the fact that the only thing they need to be suitable for the job is to be born in the right position in the right family.

Personally for me I think someone (sorry I can't recall the poster's name!) pointed out that the Queen herself, an excellent monarch over the years, has had little to no "traditonal" education, or time at University, work experience abroad etc etc & yet is undoubtedly suitable to her role. I think the British RF have a different expectation & tradition with their heirs when compared to some of the other European RFs, less focused on concrete qualifications such as degrees or experience within diplomacy etc & more just general experience of Royal duties learned through actually doing them & through the experience of everyone behind the scenes at BP as to what has worked in the past & what hasn't etc. There is of course a heavy leaning towards military training of some sort but to me the British RF has never seemed to "demand" that the members of family be vastly qualified in academic means or have anything really to "prove" they are suitable, they just do their job & learn as they do it. I believe Prince Edward is quoted as saying that there is no training for what they do & they only learn what works by doing it & seeing what does or does not work & looking at other fmaily member's actions as to what has or has not worked.

I also think that they needn't necessarily have degrees & qualifications to be suitable (yes it'd be nice as I always think it's nice when someone shows they can study something to some level of difficulty & helps show they can be analytical, expressive, broadens horizons & interests & various other skills you gain through further education etc). But to me the British RF's role these days is almost entirely media related. So long as they look good, know how to act when they do their various duties, know how to talk to people & the media, know the role they have I almost think that's enough. Yes there are some aspects of the monarch's job that are more than mere PR & media roles but they must have so much backup & advise from advisors & courtiers etc that I'm fairly certain you wouldn't need a degree in politics to understand the role of the monarch or to carry out the weekly audience with the PM. One thing I do think William could do with working on, and maybe it's just me being fussy, but his public speaking I think could use some improvement. I mean actual speeches & the like that he will have to presumeably give many times over his lifetime (maybe he'll improve naturally as he does more of them) but I've watched a few speeches he's given & think he could improve there a bit.

I think all the RF need these days really is a good basis of knowledge in what is actually expected of them in their roles (how to act at state dinners & other duties, who exactly you may be meeting/talking to, how to carry out a conversation without offending anyone etc). Basic media training too in how to act & talk to media & sound good. Sure it'd be nice if everyone had degrees in history & politics & economics & could speak 3 languages & be an expert debater of any & all topics but really I don't think it's utterly necessary for them these days especially considering the fact that they will have a multitude of experienced advisors within BP, the civil service & also of course from the political world & any private acquaintances they may know who could be helpful. They won't just be left to their own devises & expected to know everything on their own.

Last edited:
My original post states the facts - the only thing needed to be suitable is birth.

That doesn't mean that the incumbent doesn't do something to prepare their heir/s, which is what my most recent post explained.

Queen Victoria basically did none of this preparation for her son but he still was able to do the job and do it very well. His only qualification to be King was being born. He had no training and still was popular and respected both at home and abroad.

The preparation is irrelevant to the order of birth. That the Queen has given her descendents some training doesn't change the fact that the only thing they need to be suitable for the job is to be born in the right position in the right family.

Never mind, we will never agree on this and that is okay.

"Fog in Channel: Europe Isolated".

Delightful as I find the idea that headline actually appeared, I understand it is a fake. I do, however, think it contains an element of truth, in that the British view things a certain way, and do things the way they do them, and that's that! I doubt the British RF gives a hoot about the fact that the heirs to other European thrones have far more formal education than they do. The way they do things has served them well for centuries, throughout the period when the sun never set on the Empire, and through two World Wars, so why should they change?

Considering the fact that the monarch has very little, if any, real power, they're probably right, and, as Bertie said, the only qualification William really needs he achieved by being born. I personally believe that having more formal education, particularly in political science and economics, would have been a good idea, as would a good, solid stint at the UN or somewhere similar.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, most professional people that I know and I know quite a few have said that they learned a great deal more once they graduated from college than they ever learned in school. They received the basics in school, but learned a great deal more from practical experience. This has certainly been true in my case. As I understand it, the British Monarch advises and listens but does not rule, per se. Now, if they elected a King it's possible they would need a broader education, but this is not always the case even in countries that do elect a leader. William is very young yet. I imagine as time goes on his grandmother and father will help give him the training he will need. As for only having a military education, of course that isn't true. He has a college degree. His uncle Andrew only has a military education, yet since his retirement from the service, he has proven to be quite efficient as a representative of his country's business elements. So I don't think I'd worry right now about his suitability to be King. Let's let him get through his military service and hope that he does that safely. He has a very risky job.

Back
Top Bottom