Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say, I do think he should study the Cold War nuclear arms race, and theoretically has done so already, although I can agree he should skip Thucydides' History.

I actually think that it would be a good idea for him to spend some time with Thucydides, and also with Herodotus, and Sun Tzu as well. I think it is a mistake to dismiss ancient history and ancient philosophers and scholars as irrelevant. A study of such matters broadens one's perspective, and I think this is a good thing for a modern hereditary head of state.

Iluvbertie are you a teacher by chance?

Yes I am - History

Nitpicking, really? Opinions dear. By my standards, what she's done is amazing, evidently not by yours. :whistling:

Not just mine but all my friends who are very into equestrianism as a sport - one of whom is currently on the Australian Development Squad for 3 day eventing and hoping to make the Aussie Olympic team at some point in the future (not 2016 as she will still be too inexperienced having only been on the circuit for about 5 years) - says probably not until her 30s and then hopes to have an average career - which will see her competing into her 50s.

Her views, and that of many others in the sport and who follow the sport is that Zara is average - not outstanding or great - but also has a name to help her through. She is regarded as not in the same class as her father, for instance and he isn't seen as having all that great a career - Olympic gold and bronze along with other achievements but average career overall and Zara hasn't achieved his level yet.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but it is probably a good idea to remember that she barely made the last Olympic team - and only did so when the final position opened up after an injury to Funnell - so no injury to a better competitor and no Olympics for Zara.

I said;
"Beatrice as well as doing her official duties has done several internships."

Something you have just re-confirmed? So the point of you mentioning that she happened to quit a job after 8 months is? People quit their jobs after a day because they can't hack it.
Yes they do - but they then try to get another - she hasn't done so. There were reports in the summer that she was 'interviewing' for another job but the fact that The Queen's granddaughter can't get a job says a lot about the fact that she really isn't looking all that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just mine but all my friends who are very into equestrianism as a sport - one of whom is currently on the Australian Development Squad for 3 day eventing and hoping to make the Aussie Olympic team at some point in the future (not 2016 as she will still be too inexperienced having only been on the circuit for about 5 years) - says probably not until her 30s and then hopes to have an average career - which will see her competing into her 50s.

Her views, and that of many others in the sport and who follow the sport is that Zara is average - not outstanding or great - but also has a name to help her through. She is regarded as not in the same class as her father, for instance and he isn't seen as having all that great a career - Olympic gold and bronze along with other achievements but average career overall and Zara hasn't achieved his level yet.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but it is probably a good idea to remember that she barely made the last Olympic team - and only did so when the final position opened up after an injury to Funnell - so no injury to a better competitor and no Olympics for Zara.

Yes they do - but they then try to get another - she hasn't done so. There were reports in the summer that she was 'interviewing' for another job but the fact that The Queen's granddaughter can't get a job says a lot about the fact that she really isn't looking all that hard.
She made it to an international level and has an Olympic medal to her name; that makes her accomplishments in this sport above average, actually.

Not thinking about what her father accomplished as a rider and forget about her last name. First, think about the amount of people who ride horses competitively and see how many of them NOT make it to an international level and you can already conclude she is better than most people. Second, she made it to the Olympic team and contributed to their silver medal. How is that not above average?! So many riders never ever get to see that Olympic medal around their necks due to various of reasons. May it be funding, a good horse, sponsors or actual talent.

Her last name make it easier for her to get sponsors and the good horses, sure. Having parents that were already in the horse business makes it easier too. This goes for atleast 45% of all international competitive riders. If you ain't got money or connections, it's going to be tough.

However, horse riding (in a lesser extent dressage) is an honest sport in the sense that, if you f.ck up, your horse will not do well and be prepared to say goodbye to your medal chances. An off-day will neck you and not preparing your horse will hurt you. An exceptional horse will take you further.

Horse riding is difficult on all aspects. Saying that her achievements are mere average is demeaning. Sure, she's not the greatest eventer to have practised the sport but what she's done for the sport is not average. She already helped by making it more popular too.

And I think we can all agree that Beatrice is not exactly a work alcoholic. If this was the ''real world'', my mum and dad would tell me to stop slacking and start building a future.

:previous: Whilst I think there is an element of truth in what you say, I believe that they (the BRF) are also staunch believers in life lessons. It must be acknowledged that a degree is merely the result of a superior education, not a superior intellect. The Queen is the living example of that fact.

While getting a degree is very good in itself it is not the only "education" someone like William needs and, to be honest, a lot of what he is learning is out of sight of the public. We can surmise that the Queen is imparting a fair amount of inside knowledge as is his father and we can take a stab in the dark as to what exactly it is. But, realisticly we have no idea . . . posters make statements of absolute "fact" about William's education, how many languages he can speak, etc. Do people even remember that Charles speaks Welsh, albeit with an bit of an accent?

There also would have been a significant amount of academic work involved in the extensive military training both William and Harry underwent, as well as practical work and courses/workshops/lectures surrounding leadership skills, team building, etc.

There is only one person in the world who know what is to be the sovereign of the UK and other realms. There is only one Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales. William can't take a course on Kingship. He will learn from his father and grandmother.

Compared to earlier times, he has a wide educational base. Before princes would be tutored at home and then shipped off to sea as teenagers. William has be educated outside the palace since he was three, Eton and St Andrews aren't shabby. I don't know how useful his geography degree is but he got something more important while at St Andrews- Kate.

This thread is 26 pages and I'm not reading it all. I did skim through the educations of Haakon, Victoria and Frederik and was very impressed. I also believe the princes of Japan have advanced degrees in some good fields. Sorry to say but William doesn't compare.

None of the formal education stuff on the 26 pages will make any difference to whether William is a good king or not.

QEII is one of the least formally educated monarchs in the past 60 years. And she has done a good job.

She would have made the previous two Olympic teams quite easily with Toytown had he not been injured. Eventing is a sport where injuries, both to horses and humans, often help shape how the teams are created.

Once she was on the team she certainly pulled her weight- her Cross Country was flawless and her dressage was really well done too.

Very few people make history in their sports- there are very few people who become the "Best Ever", but if you think Zara Phillips is an average rider, you don't know much about the sport. And the idea that Mark Phillips is an average rider is outright laughable.

She'll have many chances to come. As a professional eventer, she could compete well into her fifties.

Compare the education and training received by the British royals with that of the European Royals. HUGE difference. I am not saying that the extensive training and education of most of the European royals will make them better leader - but I don't see how it can hurt. Also it means that most can earn a salary independent of the the crown.

Compare the education and training received by the British royals with that of the European Royals. HUGE difference. I am not saying that the extensive training and education of most of the European royals will make them better leader - but I don't see how it can hurt. Also it means that most can earn a salary independent of the the crown.

Interesting point. This is about an heir to the throne, not royals in general (although the posts have gone that way). My query is have any of the heirs to European thrones had a job (outside of the military)?

Victoria has more than a Bachelor's degree?

Victoria has more than a Bachelor's degree?

In June 2009 she graduated from Uppsala University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree. From 1998 to 2000, Victoria resided in the United States, where she studied various subjects at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. No degree is mentioned of being earnt.

I think that people who have referred to Victoria's education mean:
- she studied French at the Centre International D'Études Françaises in 1996-97
- in autumn 1997 she studied at a designed programme in order to gain a general insight into the workings of the Swedish Parliament and Government.
- in spring 2001 se studied the Swedish Presidency of the EU.
- in autumn 2001 she followed a study programme at the offices of the Swedish Government.
- in spring 2002 she completed a study programme at SIDA, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, and spent time in Uganda and Ethiopia.
- in autumn 2002 she completed an internship with the Swedish Trade Council in Berlin and Paris.
- In 2003 she continued her education on Swedish trade and industry with a study and work experience programme in Swedish agriculture and forestry, as well as completing basic military training at SWEDINT (the Swedish Armed Forces International Centre).
- in 2004 Victoria also studied at the Swedish National Defence College in Stockholm, focusing on Political Science, International Relations and Conflict Resolution.
- In the autumn 2005 Victoria spent a month in China where she followed the work of the Swedish Embassy as well as traveled in order to gain insights in the Chinese community. She also continued her studies as Social Sciences.
- in September 2006 Victoria started the diplomatic programme at the Swedish Foreign Ministry. The programme lasted for one academic year and included lectures, seminars and group work.
- in spring 2013 Victoria studied at a course of Polar environments at the Stockholm University for 7,5 credits.

In every country there is their own way how to prepare the heir to a regent. Every country is different and the education shouldn't be compared.

Last edited:

There isn't a huge difference IMO, they're practically the same. The all went to further education institutions in their own country, America or to the UK. All British males went either from university into the navy or from secondary education into the navy. I'm not sure how doing another course in a different university, on a subject you're never going to use, compares better than getting military experience alongside your fellow countrymen.

Which heir to the throne, has a job outside of royalty that has come from their university degree? None. There's no need.
At the very least this generation of heirs, Victoria, Frederik, Haakon, Felipe etc (unless something massive occurs) are going to become monarchs.

They can study all they like, but I'm not sure how 25 degrees are going to help them be a better King or Queen which is what this thread is about in regards to Prince William.

There is a huge difference, they may have all gone to Univ. but what they studied us different and shows that they are quite intelligent. There is nothing wrong with going to the military but I am greatly impressed by those royals who have degrees in Some govt course etc. rather than one in geography. The Prince of Spain has a law degree!!! I don't know if the monarchs of Europe have more responsibility and need better education, but they seem to be so educated that they could lose their title and status and be ok.

Last edited:
William could lose his titles and still do well in life - not only does he have his military career, but he also is independently wealthy himself. He and his brother inherited when their mother died and may have inherited more when the Queen Mum died.

What's more is that it is entirely possible to have a career with a geography degree, especially if you have connections which William undoubtably does at.

As to his education, while it may be fine for the Continental Europeans to study law and the like, there has long been a disassociation between the British monarch and the law. Personally I think William is better off having not formally studied politics, economics, law, etc. Look at how Charles gets attacked whenever he's seen as being too political and ask yourself what the reaction would have been had William studied something relating to the government while in school.

What is more important is that he get informal training - from his father, grandmother, and the various connections that they have. If you think William hasn't or isn't going to learn about the politics, law, etc of the UK you're being naive. He's learning all that and how to fulfill his future roles from people who have spent essentially all of their lives in what will be his future roles - first heir, then monarch.

If William's education is lacking I think it might be more in regards to the Commonwealth Realms - their law, culture, etc, and importantly his role as their possible future monarch - than anything else. William seems to do well when establishing himself as a future English or Welsh monarch, but he seems to struggle a bit more with Northern Ireland and Scotland, and the Commonwealth as a whole. While none of these are guaranteed to remain realms after the Queen's passing, I think he'd be better to remember them a bit more now (outside of tragedies) while he still "has" them.

I have a degree similar to William and Kate's and I can tell you that both degrees are difficult to find a job with based on just the degrees. I'm not discussing William's suitability to be King I'm just shocked at his education history as opposed to Victoria, Frederik, Haakon etc. and the Japanese princes haven't even been thrown in. No matter how you slice it the other royals have better education; that's not saying William isn't suitable to be King, a lot of his ancestors from the last century had lackluster education.

Last edited:
All of the monarchies of Europe are constitutional and none has more responsibility generally than the other.

If people want to discuss the relevant academic qualifications of various royals, then I would suggest this is the wrong thread.

This isn't a competition and William should be considered as to whether he is suitable to be a King of GB and NI and the 15 realms. After all, this is what this thread is supposed to be about.

I get tired of all these comparisons. Frederick, Felipe, Victoria will never be a monarch over the same realms so it is irrelevant what qualities they have and what qualifications they have gained. The question is - is he acceptable to his subjects.

Speaking as one who will be a subject, I would say that he is on the right path but needs to consider the wider responsibilities in terms of the Commonwealth and the Church. However, these matters are on the learning curve of a Prince of Wales and there is still some time to see if he takes to these wider responsibilities.

Currently the priority is for him to stop flaffing about and be seen all around the country, including Wales, NI and Scotland. Also Scilly Isles and Channel Islands. Frankly, Africa and all that stuff should wait.

LEt's be honest - he's got the job when and if it comes. He just needs a more structured training programme focused on the job; not just what he wants.

If you don't want to hear my opinion on all their degrees and education than feel free to ignore it. It was mentioned at the beginning of this thread by the OP in great detail so clearly this is the place to discuss it.The OP believes degrees in either law, political science or economics should be part of an heirs education. I personally don't agree especially when it comes to the BRF who I believe don't contribute much other than bringing in tourists and makings money everytime there is a wedding. This is why I asked if the families or Norway Spain Denmark etc. have more responsibilities because their heirs are better educated.

Last edited:
OK I shall - but it doesn't answer the main question which is the reason for the thread. JMO

. . . Currently the priority is for him to stop flaffing about and be seen all around the country, including Wales, NI and Scotland. Also Scilly Isles and Channel Islands. Frankly, Africa and all that stuff should wait.
Actually, I think he is better touring the Commonwealth. If the media coverage of Christmas is anything to go by, the further and longer the better. Even HM the Queen was only a footnote in the overall coverage. We are told that this is the biggest Christmas gathering in years but you wouldn't know it. Charles, Camilla, Anne, Edward, the Duke of Edinburgh, even Harry with his scrappy ginger beard hardly got a look in.

Now is the time for HM and Prince Philip to be the emphasis as do the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, all of whom have worked their tails off this last year and years gone past. They are our past, immediate present and near future. What has William done to deserve all this fawning all over he and his wife?

I mean really . . . he's done little enough this year. OK, so he is a new parent, big deal, so are thousands of others and they do not have anywhere near the support and resources of the Cambridge's. He needs to be seen to be doing something . . . anything, as at present no one knows where he stands on anything. Is he passionate about anything except his privacy?

William (and Harry) have IMO inherited people's sympathies because they lost their mother in tragic circumstances so young, however now he is older he needs to prove himself as a young man in his own right. At the moment I am a little tired of him, I think he needs to prove he CAN become what is expected of a monarch and stop relying on the past. He and his wife seem lazy. I have spoken to many people of different ages about William and Kate and the response I have heard is 'who?' I live in Australia and they just seem to be a couple of rich kids waiting to assume roles, rather than proving they are worthy of the titles.

I am in my 40's and I have the utmost respect for the Queen and Prince Charles they have accepted their roles and appear to respect their positions. William, when he was younger, wanted space to become a man and I assumed by this age he would be one! It is time to stop paying games and earn the respect of the people for the position he will assume.

William could be a good king, but only if he starts acting like a monarch and accept he has a title, a position and a standing in the eyes of his 'subjects'.

Last edited:
He had a full time job in the RAF until September of this year along with having royals duties. I don't know how that little

William (and Harry) have IMO inherited people's sympathies because they lost their mother in tragic circumstances so young, however now he is older he needs to prove himself as a young man in his own right. At the moment I am a little tired of him, I think he needs to prove he CAN become what is expected of a monarch and stop relying on the past. He and his wife seem lazy. I have spoken to many people of different ages about William and Kate and the response I have heard is 'who?' I live in Australia and they just seem to be a couple of rich kids waiting to assume roles, rather than proving they are worthy of the titles.

I am in my 40's and I have the utmost respect for the Queen and Prince Charles they have accepted their roles and appear to respect their positions. William, when he was younger, wanted space to become a man and I assumed by this age he would be one! It is time to stop paying games and earn the respect of the people for the position he will assume.

William could be a good king, but only if he starts acting like a monarch and accept he has a title, a position and a standing in the eyes of his 'subjects'.

I'd ask how one proves one's suitability to be a royal if one can never appear political or take a public sector job for any long period of time. All that's left is charity and armed service. He's done both. We only have this discussion at all because the family is not dying off very fast. And one might say "Thanks Heavens" for that.

Yes he is marking time - that's the system. Yes he looks to be hanging around waiting and he is a rich kid. If you don't like that, you'll have to change the system. Would forcing him to live in poverty for the next 30 years make things any better?

I wouldn't be so dramatic to say that! Look I don't want to have an argument over what I think about William, I gave an opinion. He could make a great king, who knows. He saw what happened to his mum and how she was thrown in the deep end at the very start. This he felt was wrong and has endeavoured to ease Kate into the role, personally (again a personal opinion) this is what endured Diana to so many people. She appeared this shy girl thrust into the limelight, worked hard, always smiled, raised two sons, but never stopped caring about the people.
If you were to ask me what royalty means........tradition, history, caring about the people, drawing attention to the people who need attention, a little glamour, old world charm, again history, hard work, role models, a little mystique, tiaras! :)

I often wonder if William has the interest or even the mental capacity to be the #1 most informed person in government and be in a position to warn and advise his Prime Ministers when the time arises. I think some sort of political science degree combined with history, perhaps, would have served him well.

The Queen had no formal education as such, but as heiress presumptive she received constitutional history tutoring, among other things, from Eton dons and her sense of duty for her future role was so clearly apparent from a young age. I know William's reign is a long way off and I don't doubt he'll be a good statesman, but for some reason I get the impression dealing with ministers and knowing the ins-and-outs of government procedures and policies and being in a position to advise doesn't seem up his street. That's just the impression I get, could be completely wrong of course.

He'll have constitutional training but we probably won't find out about it. There is no requirement to be the #1 most informed person in government - no monarch is in government.

The real hard work of understand what is going on comes about when he gets access to the red boxes and will not happen until he is heir to the throne. The Queen does not give access to any of her role easily and it is only recently that she has broadened even Charles' access.

It is unfair to compare him with the Queen because he not heir presumptive; nor should he be compared with Crown Princes.

He has proved that he can access and understand information; make critical decisions, work under extreme pressure and lead a team. That's a great start

He'll have constitutional training but we probably won't find out about it. There is no requirement to be the #1 most informed person in government - no monarch is in government.

The real hard work of understand what is going on comes about when he gets access to the red boxes and will not happen until he is heir to the throne. The Queen does not give access to any of her role easily and it is only recently that she has broadened even Charles' access.

It is unfair to compare him with the Queen because he not heir presumptive; nor should he be compared with Crown Princes.

He has proved that he can access and understand information; make critical decisions, work under extreme pressure and lead a team. That's a great start
I agree. AFAIK William's education and military training are very similar to the ones that his father's peers have earned. He's had the experience of working with a team and has undertaken solo and joint trips to Commonwealth nations on behalf of his grandmother. As for his willingness to become King, I believe William is cautious in what he states. If he expresses too much enthusiasm for his future role then I can imagine that the press ie Daily Mail would be stating that "William can't wait for Granny and his dad to die so he can be king!!

Cepe and TLLK:
Both your last comments are spot on, William is still a young man and starting a family, so he needs time to learn the workings of the Duchy when he becomes Prince of Wales, before he can learn about the workings of the entire commonwealth, this will all take time and learning on his part. No need for anyone to jump to the conclusion that he isn't ready to be king, of course not, that is decades away. He is still learning and he has the best teachers in the world, the Queen and his father.

It's interesting to me in skimming the responses that the British-based posters seem to be the ones most satisfied with William's training and least concerned with him holding an advanced degree or studies in law. If the general sense among the British people is that his education is sufficient, it probably is.

I find education -- and languages -- intellectually broadening and personally rewarding, so if I were advising William, I would urge him to pursue additional studies for his own enrichment. If he enjoys the same longevity his grandparents have, he'd do well to develop interests and expertise beyond his office that can sustain him throughout life.

One thing I wonder about William -- and he's probably too young yet to draw many conclusions -- is if he's got too much of a common touch or is too casual. Sometimes I think he and Harry are so determined to show that they're "regular" guys, they seem to lose some of the mystique of being royal.

Back
Top Bottom