Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finishing what he has begun does not make him good king material. How does he support others, by turning up at events?
I really can't imagine him obeying commands, I can more easily see all his fellow officers making his life as easy as possible. You have at least made me a little less worried by pointing out that he is only going to represent his people and not rule over them. In fact come to think of it, appearing at events, waving his hand with Catherine very decorative on his arm is well within his capabilities. He looks good in uniform too, especially when he wears his cap.

These kind of comments really bother me. Obviously, you have a disdain for the monarchy in general and absolutely no respect or knowledge of exactly how involved and passionate William is in those charities he supports and his work as a search and rescue pilot in the RAF. His fellow service men seem to think very highly of him and his commanding officers have stated repeatedly that he takes his job very seriously and doesn't expect special treatment. He and Harry are very involved with their mutual charities behind the scenes although you don't see that since they also have full time military careers and are not in the public eye every day.

IMHO both the PoW and the DoC have been raised with their future position in mind. I am sure that much time has been devoted 'behind the scenes' in regards to readying them for their future roles as monarch.

I don't necessarily think that either one's 'public persona' indicates what type of monarch he will be as each one now must (or should) tailor his behavior & opinions so as not to upstage HM (as if one could!) nor to tread too heavily on too many toes. Are the PoW and DoC always successful, no, but I do believe that they are sincere in their wishes to support HM and to learn from her.

Education and a degree does not always indicate future stability or behavior. I'm sure we all know highly educated fools and very wise high school graduates.

These kind of comments really bother me. Obviously, you have a disdain for the monarchy in general and absolutely no respect or knowledge of exactly how involved and passionate William is in those charities he supports and his work as a search and rescue pilot in the RAF. His fellow service men seem to think very highly of him and his commanding officers have stated repeatedly that he takes his job very seriously and doesn't expect special treatment. He and Harry are very involved with their mutual charities behind the scenes although you don't see that since they also have full time military careers and are not in the public eye every day.

Well as long as you believe what you read in the newspapers that is fine.
I don't. As to my disdain for royalty, you couldn't be more wrong, in fact laughably wrong, I would like to see the monarchy continue but at its best.
I just hope the Queen will reign for a long time yet, perhaps if she reigns long enough and Charles after her, it will give William more time to become a worthy successor.
How do you know how passionate William is and how involved he in his work as a search and rescue pilot?

IMHO both the PoW and the DoC have been raised with their future position in mind. I am sure that much time has been devoted 'behind the scenes' in regards to readying them for their future roles as monarch.

I don't necessarily think that either one's 'public persona' indicates what type of monarch he will be as each one now must (or should) tailor his behavior & opinions so as not to upstage HM (as if one could!) nor to tread too heavily on too many toes. Are the PoW and DoC always successful, no, but I do believe that they are sincere in their wishes to support HM and to learn from her.

Education and a degree does not always indicate future stability or behavior. I'm sure we all know highly educated fools and very wise high school graduates.

I can't help but remember the story about how Diana sat one evening with her two boys watching a poll on TV about whether the monarchy should be abolished or not and it was said that with much laughter they voted for the abolishment 200 times. It was supposed to be a joke but one of those boys was destined to be King.

How do you know how passionate William is and how involved he in his work as a search and rescue pilot?

How do you know that he isn't? I don't really see anyone committing to something for such a lengthy period of time if they have no passion for what they're doing.

How do you know that he isn't? I don't really see anyone committing to something for such a lengthy period of time if they have no passion for what they're doing.

I agree. One does not specialize in search and rescue missions without a deep commitment to saving lives and caring about people. I believe also that it was this kind of dedication to his chosen field that led William to ask to be sent to Australia and New Zealand after the earthquakes and floods. He not only went in an official royal capacity, he also sought out and wanted to learn how SAR handled their operations there. I also believe that when he toured Canada, some of the operational ways of various search and rescue teams were a big interest to him.

Most of the missions that William flies from day to day in Wales do not make the papers. He really just wants to be "one of the guys" while he's on duty and treated the same. There have been missions that have made news including one where the patient did not make it. That had to have been an emotionally stressful time for him. From experience in my own area, I've not yet met a person that is involved in emergency services that doesn't have a deep commitment to serving and helping others even in life and death situations. It takes a lot of stamina, dedication and self sacrificing at times.

In this light, what better qualities to look for in a future monarch?

From experience in my own area, I've not yet met a person that is involved in emergency services that doesn't have a deep commitment to serving and helping others even in life and death situations. It takes a lot of stamina, dedication and self sacrificing at times.

In this light, what better qualities to look for in a future monarch?

My own experience exactly. There are so many more ways to "serve" while leading a nice, comfortable life. SAR-services are for those really dedicated because they offer no glamour but disappointment when all was too little, too late on a close to daily basis. SAR is for the ultimate situation where people are really in need and help is more often than not, while rewarding in itself, a failure in one point or the other. But if you can accept that life is not perfect, but what you make it, you can find so much reward and inner strength on serving at an SAR-service that it's worth it. But easy or glamourous? I don't know where you live, but here SAR is deadly serious.

No, I don't agree. A future King is expected to join the armed forces, in fact all of them, one at a tim. , Prince Edward refused but it didn't matter that much as he was not the direct heir.
Prince William to be sure, has not picked search and rescue as a vocation, he would have been advised as to which would be most suitable for the heir to the heir as it would be out of the question for him to see active duty where he would be in the line of fire. Air rescue is not exactly "a piece of cake" but he is well looked after you can be sure.
Whatever a royal member of the armed forces does he is hailed as a hero and receives every medal going. Sometimes it is not the royal's fault, he might have wanted to see some real action, but the Palace is very protective of their heirs.
He looks a nice young man, but so far I am not that impressed, but he is young and I suppose there is still time, and as mentioned above nowadays they are only figureheads nowadays and although they have the right to give advice, the Prime minister has the right to disregard it.

Didn't Prince Edward join the Royal Marines? IIRC he quit, as so many others who has tried to enter that very hard selection process.

As for William and his SAR work. Well, helicopters crash from time to time. Not least SAR helicopters, that are often out in very bad weather or hover near precarious places, like cliffs. If William goes down in the water, he can very easily end up dead, royal or not.
About shielding him from danger. There is a limit too how much can be done about that. And more importantly there is a limit to how much he will allow himself to be shielded. He simply cannot work with a crew if he occasionally has to say: "Sorry guys, gotta stay on the ground, this is too dangerous for me".
Another matter is the material. As far as I know the SAR helicopters are British versions of the Sea King, a trustworthy but old helicopter. Most likely it was in use before William was even born. He is not placing his behind in state of the art material.

If William has saved just one life, he is, in my eyes, worth all the money that has been used on his military education.

No, I don't agree. A future King is expected to join the armed forces, in fact all of them, one at a tim. , Prince Edward refused but it didn't matter that much as he was not the direct heir.
Prince William to be sure, has not picked search and rescue as a vocation, he would have been advised as to which would be most suitable for the heir to the heir as it would be out of the question for him to see active duty where he would be in the line of fire. Air rescue is not exactly "a piece of cake" but he is well looked after you can be sure.
Whatever a royal member of the armed forces does he is hailed as a hero and receives every medal going. Sometimes it is not the royal's fault, he might have wanted to see some real action, but the Palace is very protective of their heirs.
He looks a nice young man, but so far I am not that impressed, but he is young and I suppose there is still time, and as mentioned above nowadays they are only figureheads nowadays and although they have the right to give advice, the Prime minister has the right to disregard it.

Actually, he did not refuse, he joined and then left. Two different things. A armed forces life is not for everyone.

Prince William to be sure, has not picked search and rescue as a vocation, he would have been advised as to which would be most suitable for the heir to the heir as it would be out of the question for him to see active duty where he would be in the line of fire.

Could you explain to me how you are sure that he himself has not picked search and rescue or are you just making an assumption?

Air rescue is not exactly "a piece of cake" but he is well looked after you can be sure.

Ermmm, no I can't be sure actually. Unless you know something about William's training that I and the public do not, then I would assume that he is treated like every other serving officer.

I have never heard a royal named a hero for simply being in the armed forces, nor have I ever seen them receive a medal they did not deserve. Could you tell me when this has happened?

Btw; you haven't answered my earlier question: how do you know William isn't passionate about what he does? You said you disagree, but that didn't answer the question. :)

IMO there are jobs in the armed forces where William could be a dilettante but search and rescue pilot isn't one of them. For one thing - and I would think this would be obvious - there's only so much room on a helicopter so each member of the team on board has specific and essential duties to perform during each mission; William is not tagging along as an extra man with nothing to do except look good in his uniform. If one team member falls down on the job then he or she puts both the other members and their extraordinarily expensive equipment at risk. William's superiors in the forces aren't going to put the Duke or his colleagues, not to mention their own careers, at risk by letting someone unqualified fly a helicopter, no matter what his title is.

No one can answer your question except Prince William and I don't think he will somehow, my opinion (and you certainly know about opinions) is that he doesn't necessarily have to be as he would have been given a choice of army duties that did not put him unnecessarily in harm's way or the need to deploy many men to keep him safe, he chose this service, perhaps he became passionate about it afterwards, who knows!
Actually it was said about the Duke of Windsor in one of his biographies that he did not receive a medal for his service in France (easy to understand if his record there is looked at) and a remark followed that said this was highly unusual as normally any member of the royal family who was at a distance of 1 mile from the front usually got a medal.
Royal hero? Prince Andrew? Prince Harry? Nowadays the word hero is used very lightly for sure. Which reminds me I have often wondered about all the medals seen on Prince Charles's chest, perhaps we could have a thread giving an explanation for each one,it would be very interesting.

I find it amazing that he has excepted the "job" of future king. Fancy always knowing that you would have no say in what you do with your life ?what job? Were you live ? To following your own path in life is a right everyone else has And he knows his wife and children have to live that life too.
So is he suitable to be king? Absolutely !!! A wonderful young man

The only way he could refuse would be to abdicate. He did choose the wife he wanted though and he and his family will always lead a life of luxury so there are some compensations.
Many people would find it boring and tedious, but then he has never known anything else.

expat said:
The only way he could refuse would be to abdicate. He did choose the wife he wanted though and he and his family will always lead a life of luxury so there are some compensations.
Many people would find it boring and tedious, but then he has never known anything else.

But I bet he has thought of what his life could be. I still think luxury life aside he is amazing for taking it on and we should be content that he will make a good and caring king

Are you still saying he had a choice.? The only choice he had was to go ahead or give up his place in line for the throne.

Of course he had a choice if he really wanted out. What could they do lock him in the tower??? His uncle made his choice!!!

expat said:
Are you still saying he had a choice.? The only choice he had was to go ahead or give up his place in line for the throne.

To make it clear he could have given it up but he choice to stay and do his duty

I think he is an amazing young man and we shouldn't be questioning his suitably to be King

His uncle made his choice!!!

I think you mean The Duke of Windsor yes?

No one can answer your question except Prince William and I don't think he will somehow, my opinion (and you certainly know about opinions) is that he doesn't necessarily have to be as he would have been given a choice of army duties that did not put him unnecessarily in harm's way or the need to deploy many men to keep him safe, he chose this service, perhaps he became passionate about it afterwards, who knows!.

Actually I asked you, How do you know William isn't passionate about his career as you raised the opposite question "How do we know that he is?". So how do you know he isn't? You're right that we don't know either way but you seem pretty sure that he isn't, you've made severely statements that William isn't in this voluntary and did not choose his life as a pilot.

When have men been deployed specifically for his safety exactly?

Last edited:
Yes sorry I left the great out when I said uncle

At the moment there are rumours around that William and Catherine will move to Scotland when he finished his current contract with the RAF because William will sign a new one for another three years of service. He could live a life in luxury in his new home at Kensington Palace but instead this young man thinks about moving into yet another wilderness to an RAF-base. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what it is.

I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway I am sure that Scotland will have a few small places to match his tiny Kensington Palace apartment.
As you say it is a rumour, I won't say anything about his dedication. I hope that the Scots reading this will not be upset by your calling them a wilderness. When my great-grandfather L.R.C.S. graduated from Edinburgh university, Edinburgh was on its way to becoming a nice little village. LOL).

I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway I am sure that Scotland will have a few small places to match his tiny Kensington Palace apartment.
As you say it is a rumour, I won't say anything about his dedication. I hope that the Scots reading this will not be upset by your calling them a wilderness. When my great-grandfather L.R.C.S. graduated from Edinburgh university, Edinburgh was on its way to becoming a nice little village. LOL).

Only that the RAF base is not on Edinburgh's Princes Street, but at Lossiemouth...
Which is on the coast of the Highlands between Inverness and Aberdeen, an area I travelled extensively, so believe me: it is a rather tough place to live. The golf course non-with-standing.

I just read in a German paper that prince William at the moment is actively flying in a difficult resuce mission on the Irish sea. They (his crew and him) already lifted two seamen to safety, one dead body was recovered but 5 other seamen are still missing, so the search continues in difficult weather.

I bet you are much more comfortable now, aren't you? :whistling:

Last edited:
Speaking as a future subject of William's, the fact that he is at this moment manning a helicopter in gale force winds over the Irish Sea attempting to save the lives of seamen, as opposed to sitting in a warm comfortable palace is reason enough for me to believe that he has what it takes to one day lead our nation. Has any other future monarch out there at the moment ever chosen to put their life at risk in service of their follow countrymen in this way? I can't think of any.

At the moment there are rumours around that William and Catherine will move to Scotland when he finished his current contract with the RAF because William will sign a new one for another three years of service. He could live a life in luxury in his new home at Kensington Palace but instead this young man thinks about moving into yet another wilderness to an RAF-base. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what it is.

In complete agreement here. He's doing his job well and his nation and family proud, and that's to me, something a monarch will one day have to do as a head of state.

Only that the RAF base is not on Edinburgh's Princes Street, but at Lossiemouth...
Which is on the coast of the Highlands between Inverness and Aberdeen, an area I travelled extensively, so believe me: it is a rather tough place to live. The golf course non-with-standing.

I just read in a German paper that prince William at the moment is actively flying in a difficult resuce mission on the Irish sea. They (his crew and him) already lifted two seamen to safety, one dead body was recovered but 5 other seamen are still missing, so the search continues in difficult weather.

I bet you are much more comfortable now, aren't you? :whistling:

I read about William wanting to renew his contract with the RAF and going to Scotland, as well as about his rescue mission earlier in the day. Again, he's doing what he enjoys, which is on the big scheme of things, is helping others. A monarch needs to be in touch with the needs of his people, as well as possess compassion, and William has both.

Speaking as a future subject of William's, the fact that he is at this moment manning a helicopter in gale force winds over the Irish Sea attempting to save the lives of seamen, as opposed to sitting in a warm comfortable palace is reason enough for me to believe that he has what it takes to one day lead our nation. Has any other future monarch out there at the moment ever chosen to put their life at risk in service of their follow countrymen in this way? I can't think of any.

This was very well said. I may never be his subject, but I'll be one happy individual when he will step up and be crowned, because he has the potential to do some great things. Like you, I cannot think of any monarchs who have done what he's doing right now. Good job, William.

Doesn't anyone wonder what the the name of the actual Captain of this search and rescue mission was? There are only pictures of Prince William who was one of a four man crew. From what has been said here it sounds as though all four of them are good king material, then again the genetical link is missing.

Prince William Joins Rescue Effort After Ship Sinks In Irish Sea | Fox News

Why is the name of the other crew members of interest? They are not future kings, even though they obviously have the compassion a king needs, and there is no need to put them in the spotlight, IMHO. I'm sure one day they all will be rewarded one way or the other (weren't they all invited to William's wedding?) but at the moment they are doing their duty and normally this happens without them being exposed to the media. As for William: he has chosen a dangerous job and maybe one day the MoD will have to tell the people that something happened to him... So it's IMHO better to inform people from time to time what he is up to.

Obviously the other crew members are of no interest to you, not even the one that is really flying the helicopter. Let us hope that the MoD will never have to inform their families that something has happened to them.

Obviously the other crew members are of no interest to you, not even the one that is really flying the helicopter. Let us hope that the MoD will never have to inform their families that something has happened to them.

The names of the other crew members of that flight would never be published if that's why you're asking for, as they're private citizens.

Back
Top Bottom