The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I do not think he is keen on the position. That's not to say he won't 'do his duty' if the monarchy still exists - but it seems to me that with cousins like the children of Princess Anne to influence him, and a mother who trained him away from royalty, he is making the choice for a private life over a royal life.
I think part of it is that William realizes that given the long lives of the members of his family, he may not ascend the throne for more than 40 years. He has watched his father struggle for meaning, and William seems like a man of purpose. He doesn't want his life to lack meaning. At the moment he is only the heir to the heir. As long as he is in that position, I can see him fighting to stay in the RAF, a job which he considers purposeful and a meaningful contribution. When he is the heir, his role will change, and I think he will accept it and succeed.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I think part of it is that William realizes that given the long lives of the members of his family, he may not ascend the throne for more than 40 years. He has watched his father struggle for meaning, and William seems like a man of purpose. He doesn't want his life to lack meaning. At the moment he is only the heir to the heir. As long as he is in that position, I can see him fighting to stay in the RAF, a job which he considers purposeful and a meaningful contribution. When he is the heir, his role will change, and I think he will accept it and succeed.
I think you have said beautifully. William appears to be a man who knows himself and what he wants to do and be like. He is in a profession that he finds meaningful and enjoyable (a heard feat, since even the best job can become tedious and a chore), and he does a great deal of charity work, which provides meaning as well. I think he's more than suitable to be a monarch, and when the time comes, he will do his family very proud.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles has "struggled for meaning" but he has largely carved out his own "niche".
I believe that William is a different character type, and he takes after Diana. No "struggling" for him...

His interests include being President of the Football Association !
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Charles has "struggled for meaning" but he has largely carved out his own "niche".
I believe that William is a different character type, and he takes after Diana. No "struggling" for him...

His interests include being President of the Football Association !

How does William take after Diana? I think William is more like his father than his mother...
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Commoner

I think we should remember that traditionally, males do not live as long as females and this tends to be world wide and for many different reasons.

I personally think it is quite possible that Prince Charles will predecease his mother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother buried a child, Princess Margaret did not live to be quite old.

If this is the case, I think Prince William may become the Prince of Wales and reside in that designation for a relatively short period of time before becoming King.

Now that I wish for any of the above to happen, but I do think it is quite possible. I honestly don't think that Prince William wants to be King all that much. I think he would be very happy to have a normal life and if he does become King, I think he may well change the role of the Monarch in British society forever.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He will become King, I have no doubt about it. He has grown up knowing that he is supposed to be King one day, he should know by now that the normal life he might crave is never going to come to pass unless something major occurs. I don't see him changing anything drastic when he becomes Monarch after his father, his great grandfather and grandmother have shaped the monarchy to what it is today, to change it to anything different would ruin the fantastic work they've done.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Gentry

I have this funny theory that all the influences on future monarchs in some way or another have come from the grandparents as opposed to the parents. When the current Queen was young she was strongly influenced behaviorally by her grandmother Queen Mary, Prince Charles is extravagent like the Queen Mother was, Prince William has in the past spent a great deal of time with his grandparents the Queen and Prince Philip when he was at Eaton very close to Windsor. I think Prince William is simple and steadfast like the Queen and shares a passion for military history with Prince Philip (if I remember right). It is just an idea and perhaps needs more thought put to it.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm1952 View Post
I have this funny theory that all the influences on future monarchs in some way or another have come from the grandparents as opposed to the parents. When the current Queen was young she was strongly influenced behaviorally by her grandmother Queen Mary, Prince Charles is extravagent like the Queen Mother was, Prince William has in the past spent a great deal of time with his grandparents the Queen and Prince Philip when he was at Eaton very close to Windsor. I think Prince William is simple and steadfast like the Queen and shares a passion for military history with Prince Philip (if I remember right). It is just an idea and perhaps needs more thought put to it.
I don't find the idea strange at all. Here in the Netherlands we have something similar - the way Queen Beatrix reigns is supposedly comparable with the way of her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina, and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander has said that he wants to follow his grandmother, Queen Juliana's, way.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Courtier

If Charles dies before the Queen, then William would not be the Prince of Wales. That is reserved for the eldest son of the Monarch. He would bw Duke of Cornwal though.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
If Charles dies before the Queen, then William would not be the Prince of Wales. That is reserved for the eldest son of the Monarch. He would bw Duke of Cornwal though.
You got it reversed. The title of Duke of Cornwall is reserved for the eldest son of the monarch. The title of Prince of Wales is for the Heir Apparent who can be the direct line grandson of the souverain.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundtrock View Post
I think we should remember that traditionally, males do not live as long as females and this tends to be world wide and for many different reasons.

I personally think it is quite possible that Prince Charles will predecease his mother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother buried a child, Princess Margaret did not live to be quite old.

Possibly but Charles lives a much healthier lifestyle that his aunt Princess Margaret did, and it was Margaret's lifestyle (smoking, booze) that certainly contributed to her early demise.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

We can't judge Prince Charles's health to his male ancestors. The times are different, he's not a heavy drinker, smoker. He lives a less food, glutenous lifestyle than his grandfathers. His mother's father was a heavy smoker and ruled during WWII . Plus the stress of abdication. Life expectancy has also changed. I see Prince Charles living a long life :)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
We can't judge Prince Charles's health to his male ancestors. The times are different, he's not a heavy drinker, smoker. He lives a less food, glutenous lifestyle than his grandfathers. His mother's father was a heavy smoker and ruled during WWII . Plus the stress of abdication. Life expectancy has also changed. I see Prince Charles living a long life :)
Only the Lord knows.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Commoner

I most certainly hope Prince Charles lives another 30+ years! I have always liked and admired him, I think he would make an excellent King!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundtrock View Post
I most certainly hope Prince Charles lives another 30+ years! I have always liked and admired him, I think he would make an excellent King!
I also see Charles as doing a fantastic job when he ascends the throne although I do get the feeling that his reign will be fairly short and not really have time to have much impact on things other than the plans already most likely in the works for the monarchy. I'm sure that the Way Ahead (I think that's what its called) committee have a certain game plan they've been working on for years and Charles will step into his role as King with ease. Part of that game plan right now is the introduction of Team Cambridge gradually into the public eye while minor royals such as Beatrice and Eugenie are slated for lives outside of royal duties. As we all know, HM has been highly dedicated and devoted as the Queen Regnant and I wouldn't expect any less than for the direction of the monarchy in the future to be any less than a high priority for her.

On that note, this is what William has grown up with, understands and, I think, is more than suitable to fulfill his role in due time. In 20 years time, he will be needed to be the primary backup for an aging Charles and bit by bit over the coming years, will learn by doing yet not taking the spotlight away from his father and have a chance to raise a family without the pressures of what the PoW had early in his marriage. Yet, on the other hand, there are circumstances that could drastically change at a given moment and I'm reasonably sure all of that also has been taken into consideration.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles will live long because he grows his own fruit and veg, organically !
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Quote:
I am not aware of any scientific study that proves organically grown food prolongs life.

IMO, Prince Charles is not aging well despite his organic healthy lifestyle. My husband who is 59 was shocked when he saw Prince Charles while watching the wedding. He asked if that was Prince Phillip. He thought I was joking when I responded....No, that's Prince Charles. When I pointed out Prince Phillip, he said they looked more like brothers than father and son. Not a ringing endorsement for Prince Charles coming from someone 3 years younger.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundtrock
He probably will.
This family doesn't die easily.

But I do hope Charles scoots over soon and allow Will to reign. I would hate to see Will waiting so long to be king.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
He probably will.
This family doesn't die easily.

But I do hope Charles scoots over soon and allow Will to reign. I would hate to see Will waiting so long to be king.
Prince Charles won't scoot anywhere. As long as he outlives his mother, he will follow his destiny and become King when the Queen passes.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Prince Charles won't scoot anywhere. As long as he outlives his mother, he will follow his destiny and become King when the Queen passes.
Indeed, and I don't think William will have to wait to become King as long as Charles has been waiting.