The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

William has made it known that he accepts his destiny and he's got a wife to help him along the way. No need to worry about William being King.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Nobility

This is a very interesting thread, which hasn't been commented on for quite some time. It is very different from the "future roles and duties" thread.

Do people think that William is well prepared to be the future monarch? While he is undoubtedly now extremely experienced when it comes to charity work and meeting people, does he actually have a sufficiently broad knowledge of international politics for example?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that in the past few years that efforts have been made to introduce William to world leaders and nations outside of the Commonwealth. His 2018 trip to Israel, Jordan and Palestine was one of his most significant trips to date considering the sensitivity that surrounds this region. The "Brexit Soft Diplomacy" trips have also been an opportunity to expand his knowledge of European nations and their leaders. I would like to see him visiting Asia, Africa and South America in the future.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

It doesn’t matter if he is suitable or not. Hereditary monarchy is a system where rhe first person in line ascends the throne when it is vacant regardless of that person’s qualifications or lack thereof. If the King is physically or mentally incapacitated , then a regency may be set up, but those are extraordinary and extreme circumstances.

Of course, when a person is raised from birth to be King, presumably those who are responsible for his upbringing will naturally pay attention to his training for the job, but whether the prince in question will live up to what is expected of him or not is a different matter.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I think William is well prepared to be a good king. He has made trips and participated in several interesting projects. He is doing a good project. And Catherine will be a good consort queen
Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

The British Isles have survived over a thousand years of Mad, Bad and Wacky Monarchs.William will be a better King than many and not as good as some. Hopefully it will be a long and uneventful reign.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
This is a very interesting thread, which hasn't been commented on for quite some time. It is very different from the "future roles and duties" thread.

Do people think that William is well prepared to be the future monarch? While he is undoubtedly now extremely experienced when it comes to charity work and meeting people, does he actually have a sufficiently broad knowledge of international politics for example?
He doesn't need a 'broad knowledge of international politics'. He needs good advisers and to be able to listen to them.

He will have a government who do the actual work for him.

He has a broad a knowledge as The Queen permits him to have as she controls what information is given to her heir and 2nd in line. Charles sees the same papers the Queen does now. How much of that William sees I am not sure but I suspect he sees most, if not all, of the government papers.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC William has pretty much started the takeover the the Duchy of Cornwall ..going to the business meetings etc.

LaRae
Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

He has been attending the Duchy of Cornwall meetings this year while Charles has started attending the Duchy of Lancaster meetings, which don't appear to happen as often.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 AM
Gentry

I think that William will be quiet good king. Him will haven't even much of political power so he can't even mess things. He surely will handle his royal duties well. Even on his current jobs he has cared well. But it will go yet many years before he is king. Elizabeth II migth reign yet some years and then it is Charles' turn.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:58 AM
Nobility

Not a charity king...

I would welcome it, if William would stop a bit of his "charity-work" in favor of meetings with junior professors and business people and activists, which are his age. Those could inform him about contemporary problems.

This would be not a meddeling into politics, but it would show, that he cares about "real problems". And he would have, by choosing the people of this circle, some kind of "gate keeper" advantage. I don't see him doing some relevant stuff.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 AM
Courtier

I think he's wonderful & will be the best king we've ever had. He's had more dealings with 'ordinary' people through his links with homeless charities (introduced by his mother), his time in the military, his service as an air ambulance pilot, his work with mental health professionals etc. He's not stuffy at all but takes his role very seriously.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that he is a decent young man who is doing his best to use his postion well and he has had a lot more contact with ordinary people than most of the previous generation of Royals, through his work as a pilot etc. But I would not say he's likely to be the best king .. time will tell
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I agree that he is a decent young man who is doing his best to use his postion well and he has had a lot more contact with ordinary people than most of the previous generation of Royals, through his work as a pilot etc. But I would not say he's likely to be the best king .. time will tell

What does it mean to be a good king these days anyway ?

In the past, when kings actually ruled the country, they were expected to keep the country prosperous, safe from internal and external threats, and as influential as possible in the world stage. Nowadays that is something we expect from the elected politicians who are in government and we blame them (not the king) when they fail to deliver.

A good king today, as I see it then, is someone who is discreet, stays away from partisan politics and political controversy, at least appears to be empathic and sensitive to the plight of the common people, and adequately fulfills his ceremonial roles as Head of State and a national symbol. It might seem a lot already, but there isn't much more to the job than that. Academic and diplomatic training of course is important (and I agree that British royals in general have lacked in that respect compared to other continental princes) , but I think social and other similar soft skills are becoming increasingly as important (or even more important) as the nature of the relationship between monarchy and people, or monarchy and State, changes.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Aristocracy

William knows, has always known, that one day he will run the family business. Right now he still has a certain degree of flexibility and seems to acknowledge that being a good father and monarch in training is a pretty good mixture of responsibilities. Catherine is a very big asset in his corner.
I see both of them continuing to grow into their roles quite well. I have to give Charles his due---his measured, considered approach to the coming changes is serving the institution of the crown and his own family well.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
I would welcome it, if William would stop a bit of his "charity-work" in favor of meetings with junior professors and business people and activists, which are his age.
Actually, much of his charity work seems to include exactly those sorts of meetings. And we’ve been told in the past that he has been taking various courses of “continuing ed,” if you will, with to prepare him specifically with the body of knowledge he’ll need to first manage the duchy of Cornwall and then to meet with PMs and such.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Majesty

Even when he is not suitable, he will be King. And often heirs not seen as bright lights turn out to become well-liked monarchs. See the once clumsy and goofy whimp whom was Prince Philippe of Belgium. See "Prins Pils", now the King of the Netherlands. Morale of the story: William will make a fine King.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sorry but the jury is sit out for me foe William's suitability as king. There have been a lot of negative things that came out about him over the years and recently. Knowledge of the job is important but character counts too.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Even when he is not suitable, he will be King. And often heirs not seen as bright lights turn out to become well-liked monarchs. See the once clumsy and goofy whimp whom was Prince Philippe of Belgium. See "Prins Pils", now the King of the Netherlands. Morale of the story: William will make a fine King.
Or George VI, who was an excellent king for the time period, but was regarded as a very dim bulb for a long time prior to that, while his older brother was viewed as a kind of Prince Charming--before he got involved with Wallis Simpson and abdicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm sorry but the jury is sit out for me foe William's suitability as king. There have been a lot of negative things that came out about him over the years and recently. Knowledge of the job is important but character counts too.
What negative things are you referencing?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

What negative thngs? I haven't heard anything