The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Whatever happened to the, was it, six hundred odd Patronages Diana, Princess of Wales gave up post divorce?

Old 09-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Whatever happened to the, was it, six hundred odd Patronages Diana, Princess of Wales gave up post divorce?
Huh, I don't know since I wasn't around by then (well I was, but I was more concerned about toys and snacktime :P ) I've heard that William and/or Harry took up some of them later on when they were older? I guess some of the more "important" ones (I know...poor choice of words) might have been taken up by the other royals. But I would also like to know what was done with those since the only ones I've heard about being "spread around" are the Queen Mothers and Margarets.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Courtier

I have asked for a long time what happens over the charities, concerns etc with a smaller working Royal Family. It has been said that The DOC is in favour of only having those he can be 'hands on about', not just a name on headed paper and that is admirable but what happens to them. I mean Princess Anne carries out some approximately six hundred engagements a year. I know The Wessex's do alot as well but the cousins do quite a bit. Indeed doesn't H.M make a point of The large Christmas Dinner at Buckingham Palace as an acknowledgment and gradititude for their work?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
/Good post. William has had nearly the exact same education, military training and preparation as most of these men and his father's adult peers. William's personality is similar to his paternal grandmother's shy but warm IMHO.
William's personality has always reminded me of a less sheltered version of The Queen's. I see more of her, (and the DoE), in him than either of his parents, really, at least in the way he approaches public life and interacts with people.

One of the nice things about a monarchy, IMO, is that it can reinvent itself with every new monarch. The British people, especially, seem to come to care for their kings or queens in spite of, or even because of, their various quirks and differences. Charles has a completely different style compared to his mother, and William is not a carbon copy of Charles, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting question was raised earlier today in this thread. If Prince William denounce the position as the rightful heir after his father, what will that do to the succession rights of his children? Will he not then take not only himself but also his line out of the succession right? I am assuming that if he were to become King after his father's death and then immediately abdicate, his children would not loose their place but rather Prince George would then be next in line. But what if he decides he does not want to be King and renounces his right before becoming King himself? Any British constitutional experts on this board?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

That was already answered earlier. He can only give up his own rights to the throne. Not the rights of George or Charlotte.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
That was already answered earlier. He can only give up his own rights to the throne. Not the rights of George or Charlotte.

If he denounces his rightful place then the children are no longer children of an heir. The answer may not be so simple. If you have a source please post the link.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
If he denounces his rightful place then the children are no longer children of an heir. The answer may not be so simple. If you have a source please post the link.
He cannot denounce his line. He can only abdicate once he's the king, and then George automatically becomes king. The only way William could be taken out of the line before becoming king is if they issue a new letter patent or if he converts to a Catholic. (Or at least this is how I have understood it)
Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It's the same with Charles. If charles abdicate would lose the right to succession his children; Of course not. No matter if the children of William is minor.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding Harry's future title have been moved to Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children .

Let's stay on topic.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

It is that simple though.
George would be Charles' successor.

It's like if Charles renounced his place it would go straight to William.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

His children don't get their place in the succession entirely from him. They get it from being non-Catholic descendants of Sophia of Hanover through a legitimate line.

In the hypothetical world where William could denounce his place in the succession (which he can't; the only way to remove himself from the succession would be to convert to Catholicism) would just remove himself from the succession, not his children.

If he wanted to remove himself from the succession he legislature would have to be passed in, perhaps not all 16 realms but at least in the ones that had to pass the recent changes to the succession (I believe some realms felt it was enough that the UK pass it, but don't quote me on that). Likewise, if he were King all his realms would have to pass legislature to all him to abdicate - and then George would succeed.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

In short we can say: when William gives up his rights, then he gives it up for himself and his eventual future issue. A successor can never give up rights of another successors.

Present line of succession:
1. Prince Charles
2. Prince William

3. Prince George
4. Princess Charlotte
5. Prince Henry (Harry)

William renounces his rights:
1. Prince Charles
2. Prince George
3. Princess Charlotte
4. Prince Henry (Harry)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Currently the only way to remove yourself from the line of succession is to convert to Catholicism or marry someone without the permission of the monarch of you are in the top 6 positions.

Since William is already married with permission, that isn't a option. A person who is removed from the line is treated as he or she is naturally dead. If William died today, George and Charlotte aren't skipped over for Harry.

If he didn't want to live a Royal life, he could have taken steps to remove himself long ago. Not do the things that he has done bring a wife and 2 kids into the Royal fold.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts concerning Prince Charles' possible intentions when he becomes king and newspaper articles concerning his taking over the running of the Sandringham Estate have been moved to the following threads respectively:

The Monarchy under Charles

General News and Information for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall

As requested only one day ago could we please say on topic. This thread is about Prince William's Suitability to be King and not the mechanisms involved in heirs to the British throne renouncing their position in the Succession.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread is for discussing William's Suitability to be King. Posts regarding the Sun article have been moved to General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015
Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

What a Good King Henry Prince Harry would make! (Sorry, William) | Daily Mail Online
Old 05-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Gentry

Reasons William would be an amazing King:

Wise beyond his years in balancing his work, royal duties, charity work and family life. When I hear the "work shy" thing, it irks me in that how well did the The Queens workaholic style do for Charles, Andy and Anne's marital success or inner well being???

Committed family man, for now at least, who knows what the future holds, but all signs point to being committed to ONE woman and having his children grow up healthy and happy. Traditional royalist may pooh pooh this, but the old way of doing things wreaked a lot of damage.

Great touch with people, he is his Mother's son with that, and he has a far better insight to modern life, and relating to his subjects. (he puts on his own toothpaste, Charlie). He also is taking on charities that count, like his mother.

Introspective and Quiet, we dont know what William thinks about every little thing and for him, black spiders are something that crawls on the floor. not a need to validate himself, I'll give his grandma credit on that, its something she does well.

So for these and probably a lot more reasons, its getting late, I hope William can be king ASAP after The Queen passes, he's someone id be happy to be out in front to sing "God Save the King" for.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:05 AM
Royal Highness

I don't agree with him and I don't know if he agrees with himself either. This is the man who used to praise William all the time, and said on his own CNN show that he would be a an amazing King.

This is also the man who is rude to almost everyone, and he must be taken with a large pinch of salt.

And when it comes to the King thing: I think William will be a much better monarch than Harry, and I think most people would have said the same for a year or two ago.

I also see that there are pictures of Harry with children in this article, but William is just as good with kids/people like Harry (if not better). We just haven't seen it so much recently.

William with children/peolpe:
http://childrenshospitaltrust.org.za...29217430_b.jpg

http://mx.hola.com/imagenes//realeza...m-story--z.jpg

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2977017.1425126223...oyal-visit.jpg

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1373...ilsl-twins.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...52_470x668.jpg

http://images.christianpost.com/full...iam-canada.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...98_470x668.jpg

https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1373444/wills-meet.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...Y_2743523b.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...ary/128409.jpg

http://cdn2.gossipcenter.com/sites/d...l21614-_sp.jpg

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/...baftas-ftr.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...2_1563391i.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...86_964x586.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...w-scotland.jpg

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multim..._a_335469b.jpg

Piers had some to say about Charles to:
Quote:
I think it does, yes. The clock is ticking. Prince Charles, the heir to the throne, is 67 now.

Who knows how long he might live, but I very much doubt given the more lugubrious way he’s led his life that it will be anywhere near as long as his mother or grandmother.

It’s not inconceivable that the Queen may even out-last him.

Either way, William can expect to take over the reigns (ho ho…) of the Monarchy within the next 15-20 years.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Piers and the DM are using this article as clickbait, to see the responses yea or nay that could bring forth the next article on the royals. The succession isn't up for grabs anyway, as we all know, and Harry doesn't wish to be King anyway. It would clip his wings to a large extent.