The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness

To be fair I can't see why William or Harry wouldn't want to be part of the Prince's Trust, I get that they have their own foundation but surely they wouldn't just let a £70million+ a year charity disappear because they 'want to make their own mark'.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Here is the reality as I see it, my opinion, Prince Charles whatever anyone thinks of the man started The Princes Trust which has, according to experts in their fields created more permanent jobs than any government scheme. According to employees he is an excellent and engaged boss. Now he is getting older, most people of his age would be considering retiring, semi-retiring but he is in the position of having to gear up for his main TT. The one he did not choose, the one he was born to do. He now needs to take on new tasks, responsiblities and duties. No one, not even a workaholic with a team of staff can do it all. The Duke of Edinburgh has made plans as I understand it for the Duke of Edinburgh awards to continue when he is no longer able to engage as fully. As we seen earlier this week even some of Diana, The Princess of Wales Charities work on bullying is being picked up and continued I believe in the form of public appearances by The Duke of Cambridge. So there is his fathers legacy, his mothers legacy and his own legacy to consider. As a country we are in terrible shape, today it was announced that there is a chance that free school meals despite being proven to work are potentially going to be scrapped. All of these causes need support, their work highlighted etc and yes merely turning up does bring the causes to the attention of the public via the media.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is a very interesting article. Can we trust it? If it is even halfway true, then it is a very dismal family picture indeed.

What would save the day is if Harry steps up to the plate and takes the reins of the Prince's Trust. In fact, what a flashy success he could make it, even more than it is today. (And if Harry marries someone as beautiful and sweet as Cressida, they'd be a power couple, and likely outshine William and Catherine in certain ways. Younger sibs always do, all that freedom and lack of responsibility. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To be fair I can't see why William or Harry wouldn't want to be part of the Prince's Trust, I get that they have their own foundation but surely they wouldn't just let a £70million+ a year charity disappear because they 'want to make their own mark'.
I agree. This is the most strange thing from my perspective. I have many friends who have taken on the family business. It makes perfect sense for either William, or Harry, or both, to merge their foundations with the Prince's Trust and forge ahead from their father's excellent beginnings. This is a genuinely family business, and for Charles' sons to pass it by looks mightily odd from where I sit. In fact, I know someone who benefitted form the Prince's Trust. Charles has mounted an amazing organization that any son should be proud to take on.

Very odd goings on. I have never been a particular fan of William. We are close in age but even so he never engaged my attention for some reason. (I am aware he was seen as handsome and a 'catch', just not with me). Now with this, it looks very tacky. William has no sense of family pride, oddly enough. Very poor show.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Courtier

Do we know the reality of what is or is not happening? Can The Fail be trusted to report accurately? All very big questions.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Do we know the reality of what is or is not happening? Can The Fail be trusted to report accurately? All very big questions.
Well, that's the question. They are painting a very dismal picture, and if accurate, not a good indication of a family working together. Very sad.

What will tell everything is actions as time goes on. Taking on Diana's concerns is a good thing, so there is no aversion there. Now regarding a father leaving this massive legacy that needs tending, if both sons ignore it, what a message will be sent. Very tacky.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Well, that's the question. They are painting a very dismal picture, and if accurate, not a good indication of a family working together. Very sad.

What will tell everything is actions as time goes on. Taking on Diana's concerns is a good thing, so there is no aversion there. Now regarding a father leaving this massive legacy that needs tending, if both sons ignore it, what a message will be sent. Very tacky.
. The problem is that reports of this type sell newspapers. I believe that there is a campaign ongoing within The Royal Household for The Cambridge's to 'up their game.' There are an incredible amount of Charities, causes etc to whom a Royal Patronage would mean so much. We have seen this week part of the problem for The DOC in being a normal person in a normal job and as Ken Wharfe said and I paraphrase, alot of people can be a pilot but there is only one Prince William. I feel for him, especially regarding how he seen the media treat his mother and it is an unenviable position in my opinion but these are issues that are growing.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

From the DM article,

Quote:
Increasingly, then, it is the Prince of Wales who dispenses honours, conducts investitures and goes on the lion’s share of long-haul flights. He chairs the Privy Council, sits in the wings at the State Opening of Parliament and meets Government Ministers as well as visiting foreign and Commonwealth representatives.
Comment: I'm surprised to hear that Charles is carrying out State business such as chairing the Privy Council or meeting ministers in an formal capacity as I had heard exactly the opposite before, i.e. that the Queen made a point of keeping all of her official state business agenda.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Courtier

How would The Daily Mail know what goes on in private especially in relation to The Privy Council? If that were leaked information there would be a hunt on for the source, I suspect. I don't know but I suspect.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness

It's the Daily Mail.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Martina Millburn, chief executive of The Prince’s Trust, told The Mail on Sunday: ‘The Prince is still very committed and involved. He’s a workaholic and somehow he fits everything in. For the moment, he remains the president.’

She added: ‘If the Duke of Cambridge or Prince Harry take it over then it would be a family matter and that’s to be discussed.

‘Princes William and Harry have been very involved with the trust over the years. They have been very supportive.’
So its a private Matter between Charles and his sons. Nothing about the Trust has changed and almost the entire story is just fabrication.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William's Suitability to be King

I just looked at the notes of the privy council meetings for this year. Charles wasn't at any of them. It was the Queen at BP with like 5 members.

http://privycouncil.independent.gov....-council-2015/

There is a Lord President of the Council that presents the business of the council to the Queen during the meetings. It used to be Nick Clegg now it's Chris Grayling.

The prince's trust has been around for a long time. It would have systems in place that would let it continue without major involvement from Charles. As King, he really can't be seen fundraising for his charity. The press would be all over him with stories of invites to palaces after large donations or worse Knighthood after extra large donations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Usually the Mail writes crap or made-up stuff... But does anybody get the feeling that this seems to be a "leaked" account from the palace? I got that vibe from the first lines... Anyway, true or not, I think it is not too early to start thinking about that... They all behave like the queen were immortal... and I don't understand that. Yes, it can takes a long time but it could happen tomorrow as well... and it wouldn't be bad to have one's mind already made up about small things etc.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think William and Harry will help out with the trust, but I really think it will all switch over to, The King's Trust.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I just looked at the notes of the privy council meetings for this year. Charles wasn't at any of them. It was the Queen at BP with like 5 members.

Orders in Council 2015 | Privy Council

There is a Lord President of the Council that presents the business of the council to the Queen during the meetings. It used to be Nick Clegg now it's Chris Grayling.

The prince's trust has been around for a long time. It would have systems in place that would let it continue without major involvement from Charles. As King, he really can't be seen fundraising for his charity. The press would be all over him with stories of invites to palaces after large donations or worse Knighthood after extra large donations.

Surely that has happened already?

Royal wedding: Prince Charles' chums and 'first love' win places at Westminster Abbey | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Orders in Council 2015 | Privy Council

What I do not understand: it looks as of there are dozens and dozens of privy councillors. Every minute starts with the swearing-in of lots of gentlemen and ladies. I wonder of the Council really has anything to say or if it is purely a symbolic gathering for the royal assent?

Those minutes from the Privy Council are exhausting, I had no idea there was such a wide spectrum of areas in which the Council's involvement is needed, it almost looks like the minutes of a Cabinet meeting!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Not everyone is at the meetings. The last one in July had 4 members with the Queen. I believe the full council only meets when there is a new monarch. There also was an election this year in the UK so there would be a lot swearing in of new people to replace people who left after the election such Clegg and Miliband etc

If I remember right, these meetings are done standing to keep the pace moving.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

As the Queen becomes increasingly frail in future years I can see Charles presiding over these PC meetings, though.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen herself doesn't even run the meetings. The Lord President of the Council present the business of the day and the Queen gives her approval yes or no. Charles can't even do the Queen's part until he is given her powers by a regency or appointment of councilors of state.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
. I believe that there is a campaign ongoing within The Royal Household for The Cambridge's to 'up their game.' There are an incredible amount of Charities, causes etc to whom a Royal Patronage would mean so much. We have seen this week part of the problem for The DOC in being a normal person in a normal job and as Ken Wharfe said and I paraphrase, alot of people can be a pilot but there is only one Prince William. I feel for him, especially regarding how he seen the media treat his mother and it is an unenviable position in my opinion but these are issues that are growing.

Very true.
But if it's also the case that the RF is due to downsize, then what?

A lot of charities needing patrons equals more royal involvement, not less.
When the elder cousins give up their patronages, I don't see where the younger ones will be able to cover them all, let alone take on new ones.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Usually the Mail writes crap or made-up stuff... But does anybody get the feeling that this seems to be a "leaked" account from the palace? I got that vibe from the first lines... Anyway, true or not, I think it is not too early to start thinking about that... They all behave like the queen were immortal... and I don't understand that. Yes, it can takes a long time but it could happen tomorrow as well... and it wouldn't be bad to have one's mind already made up about small things etc.
It had the feeling of an article preparing a population for a coming reality, or possibly sending up a marker to see the reaction. It could also be read as fabrication, stirring the pot. Certainly the Charles and William angle is stirring the pot.