The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually I find it quite hard to believe that William is indifferent when it comes to the roles he'll participate in if/when he does become King. In fact, I'd feel safe to say that William would be the King that brought the monarchy closer to the people. One example I can think of off the top of my head was the very royal wedding put together with all the pomp and circumstance that could be mustered for Will and Kate's wedding. The night before the ceremony, William himself went out among the people gathering to watch as he left Clarence House. We are now hearing that William and Harry along with Peter Phillips are conspiring to throw a huge street party for HM's 90th birthday celebrating the 600 patronages the Queen holds.

He's had a master of the fine art of being a monarch as his tutor for a very long time, his parents showed by example how to interact with the people (Diana) and how to give 150% to the things you're passionate about (Charles) and stick with it and last but not least, William will have a strong support system with his wife and brother by his side. Combine all this with what I feel is a genuine desire to serve and support people, I think he's going to do just fine when the time comes.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I love the use of the word 'conspiring' with regards to the street party. It was announced while I was in the UK that that was going to be one of the events - no mention then of them being involved at all - just it was happening as the third event over that weekend.

He reminds me a lot of Edward VIII - did what he absolutely had to do and no more and not really keen on doing it but could make people think that he cared.

I don't see any desire on his part to help the people but rather he wants to retreat from them - and who can blame him - given the scars he must have emotionally from the demands of the public when his mother died. I suspect he would be far happier to cut the garbage royal engagements - the openings, and banal meetings etc that fill the diaries of the minor royals and just concentrate on the big events - with just him, Kate and his children doing any and only because they have to do so. He has never seemed to really connect with the people - he is usually stiff and uncomfortable but goes through the motions - knows what to do and say but heart not in it.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think an indifferent monarch, who can't raise enthusiasm for his royal role or isn't really terribly interested in the ritual of it or in performing royal duties is a danger. This isn't because they would be a bad monarch, simply a dull and not very inspiring one. And I'm sorry, but at the moment I can't see that William is particularly interested in anything much to do with his future role as king.

[....]
King Carl XVI Gustaf, King Harald V, King Willem-Alexander, King Philippe, Grand-Duke Henri, King Felipe, none of them are too charismatic and overly enthusiast guys. None of their monarchies is in danger because of that. Maybe it is the contrary: a King whom is too interested, too involved, too hands-on is a threat to the monarchy because the politicians will become irritated.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't see any desire on his part to help the people but rather he wants to retreat from them - and who can blame him - given the scars he must have emotionally from the demands of the public when his mother died. I suspect he would be far happier to cut the garbage royal engagements - the openings, and banal meetings etc that fill the diaries of the minor royals and just concentrate on the big events - with just him, Kate and his children doing any and only because they have to do so. He has never seemed to really connect with the people - he is usually stiff and uncomfortable but goes through the motions - knows what to do and say but heart not in it.
Over the years watching The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry being formed and growing, I keep getting the niggling feeling that this kind of thing will be the wave of the future with many charities and patronages under the umbrella of a foundation. With seeing United for Wildlife gaining momentum as a global organization and Harry's hands on experiences in Africa before being named as an ambassador for United for Wildlife, we're seeing several independent organizations work together for a common cause. Harry spearheads the military angle of the foundation I think with his work with Walking with the Wounded and the Invictus Games. It is along these lines that Harry will be working as a civilian I've read. Kate mostly supports charities and organizations that pertain to different issues involving children and their needs.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised at all if the trend goes from the banal cutting of ribbons and unveiling plaques to the planning of the larger events that will put several organizations working together for a common cause. We'll just have to wait and see.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-12-2015, 03:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
King Carl XVI Gustaf, King Harald V, King Willem-Alexander, King Philippe, Grand-Duke Henri, King Felipe, none of them are too charismatic and overly enthusiast guys. None of their monarchies is in danger because of that. Maybe it is the contrary: a King whom is too interested, too involved, too hands-on is a threat to the monarchy because the politicians will become irritated.

Just had a flashback to the hue and cry over Charles' "spider letters".

Although the publishing of the letters did more good for Charles than harm, I think this is a perfect example of the point you were trying to make.
― John Lennon
Old 09-12-2015, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, in a Pariamentary democracy there can be too much of a good thing! There can be a balance, though.
I didn't really mean enthusiastic in personality (though King Harald can be) but enthusiastic about the monarchy and their role in it. You can see, for example that King Felipe really strives 100% in what he does, and it has really helped the monarchy's position in Spain. Plus, he interacts with others when he meets crowds. I just don't see that in William.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I've never interacted with William but listening to people who have he seems to be charming and down to earth.

I think its a case of we see what we want to see. As I stated in my earlier post clearly the British people have faith in William. So much so that they would rather Charles be skipped and have William as the next king.

If the British didn't think William 'suitable' this issue of the next king wouldn't even register.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I have the feeling that William has not even the confidence they need. We need to focus more on his duties as heir (not so little anymore). He prefers for now to have a job you love and be away from all this. Time will show....
Old 09-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ The British public also prefers him to have a job. A YouGov poll from April found only 10 percent of people think William should focus solely on royal duties. 76 percent said he should fly an air ambulance.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Courtier

Surely this day and age, he can just call it a day? If he really hates the role why not just let it go?

He may hate it but not want to let it go. The question there would be: why?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ The British public also prefers him to have a job. A YouGov poll from April found only 10 percent of people think William should focus solely on royal duties. 76 percent said he should fly an air ambulance.
I see that the polls YouGov do anything for the royal family. Impressive. If the British people think so then William well done
Old 09-12-2015, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't ever recall William saying he hates being royal. There are aspects of it he doesn't like just like with Harry. Mainly the invasion of privacy.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William's Suitability to be King

William isn't the heir. He is heir to the heir. He already involved with the running of the Duchy of Cornwall. He has done multiple overseas tours, investitures, etc. He has experience in three branches of the military.

Compare William today to the 25 yr Princess Elizabeth who inherits the throne, he has much more experience than his granny did when she became Queen. Elizabeth spent her youth behind the walls of palaces and the War at Windsor. She had limited overseas experience.

If he didn't accept his future role, he could have given up as a young man. He had his own money. Not do what he did. And if people think William doesn't want to be King, Harry definitely doesn't want to be.

Everything I read about people that have actually met and interacted with William (not armchair psychologists) say how nice William is, how he makes you feel comfortable talking to him. He is not bubbly like Harry or his dad but who is also not bubbly the Queen.

The monarchy is moving closer to the people not further away in the coming years. The days of watching behind the palace walls like Victoria did are gone. William since he was little has mixed with regular people, married a regular person, serviced in the military with regular people and does a job now with regular people.

I can think of two events of William interaction this summer that shows that William how he goes out his Royal role. The 10th Anniversary of the 7/7 bombings Hyde Park service. He paid his respects, he listened, he hugged. He connected with the people there because he had experience the same thing- the unexpected loss of a love one. The other was William and the Lionesses of the England soccer team. He went to visit them before the World Cup, called them in Canada, put of letters of support, invited to KP after they got back. These ladies aren't the millionaires of the men's team. They don't even have the history of winning that the U.S. Women's team does but William treated them like sporting heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I think people keep forgetting that William is not in the same position as Charles was at the same age. William hasn't even become the PoW yet and has still done all the things he's done. I rather think he's done a lot considering he's just the heir's heir.

LaRae
Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't ever recall William saying he hates being royal. There are aspects of it he doesn't like just like with Harry. Mainly the invasion of privacy.
Which is something I believe he has in common with nearly every member of a reigning family.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think people keep forgetting that William is not in the same position as Charles was at the same age. William hasn't even become the PoW yet and has still done all the things he's done. I rather think he's done a lot considering he's just the heir's heir.

LaRae
I agree. And all I can say is, CHINA! Can he be an olive branch and neutral enough to be their link to china, then he's diplomatically ready!
Old 09-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually I find it quite hard to believe that William is indifferent when it comes to the roles he'll participate in if/when he does become King. In fact, I'd feel safe to say that William would be the King that brought the monarchy closer to the people. One example I can think of off the top of my head was the very royal wedding put together with all the pomp and circumstance that could be mustered for Will and Kate's wedding. The night before the ceremony, William himself went out among the people gathering to watch as he left Clarence House. We are now hearing that William and Harry along with Peter Phillips are conspiring to throw a huge street party for HM's 90th birthday celebrating the 600 patronages the Queen holds.

He's had a master of the fine art of being a monarch as his tutor for a very long time, his parents showed by example how to interact with the people (Diana) and how to give 150% to the things you're passionate about (Charles) and stick with it and last but not least, William will have a strong support system with his wife and brother by his side. Combine all this with what I feel is a genuine desire to serve and support people, I think he's going to do just fine when the time comes.
I tend to agree with you. William is very much in touch with the people. Heck, he works alongside 'regular Joes'. When he interacts with the public, especially children, he is all in, it's obvious. Trust me, if children didn't think he was genuine, they won't be so eager to give him hugs, and to engage him in play. The image of him in a ball pit during his visit to Asia is a perfect example. Furthermore, I think as he gets older, he'll be more comfortable with the ceremonial,stuff, but I have a feeling he's more concerned with being hands-on, and among the public. Yes, his role models are top notch, so he'll know what is expected, and with his wife, and brother as support system, he will only gain more confidence. His shyness, and reluctance to be in the spotlight only endears him to me, bit that's just my personal opinion. In short, he's doing what he needs to do to prepare for his role. He's not the Prince of Wales, so of course his role will be limited in official capacity for the time being.

Quote:
I've never interacted with William but listening to people who have he seems to be charming and down to earth.

I think its a case of we see what we want to see. As I stated in my earlier post clearly the British people have faith in William. So much so that they would rather Charles be skipped and have William as the next king.

If the British didn't think William 'suitable' this issue of the next king wouldn't even register.
Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

/Good post. William has had nearly the exact same education, military training and preparation as most of these men and his father's adult peers. William's personality is similar to his paternal grandmother's shy but warm IMHO.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Charles increasingly takes on duties from the Queen, but will Prince William do his duty? | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 AM
Courtier

Anyone notice in The Royal Forum section that The Royal Post poster, who does a weekly count of royal engagements got an honourable mention, apologies I cannot for the life of me remember your name.