The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Majesty

Every one of the young Royal Heirs is at least bi-lingual and in most cases multi-lingual...every single one of them. William of Cambridge is the sole exception.

In fact, he will be the first king in British Royal history who speaks only English.

The idea that only the elderly Royals "old people"... are well rounded in this manner is absurd, and false.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 08-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

What does a dinner between Beatrix and Juan Carlos in 1985 has to do with William?

Is William a member of the CoE ? Yes. Product of a legally sanctioned marriage approved by the monarch per Royal marriage act? Yes Eldest son of the Eldest son of the Monarch? Yes That is all that is needed. When the Queen and Charles die, William is King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Every one of the young Royal Heirs is at least bi-lingual and in most cases multi-lingual...every single one of them. William of Cambridge is the sole exception.

In fact, he will be the first king in British Royal history who speaks only English.

The idea that only the elderly Royals "old people"... are well rounded in this manner is absurd, and false.
Ofc they are. They wouldn't be able to do their job without being bi-lingual. Most of them know languages from their parents. (Victoria knows German and portugese from her mother for ex) or because they studied extra languages. In the UK there is a very low focus on languages so that is shown in William as well. In some countries (like Beligum or Luxembourg) there are many languages in the country so there it's more needed as well. Some just know more languages which is totally ok and fine, but not needed. So I just see it as languages is not Williams thing and since they're not needed he didn't put focus on learning them more.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

He doesn't speak a foreign language fluently but he doesn't always speak English.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...0-seconds.html

Old 08-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Continental royals must learn a second language. You're not going to go very far in the world speaking Luxembourgish

If the Queen is deemed to speak only schoolgirl french, William has nothing to worry about. His visit to Quebec in 2011 was a huge success.

English is the language of the world. Its as simply as that.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Ofc they are. They wouldn't be able to do their job without being bi-lingual. Most of them know languages from their parents. (Victoria knows German and portugese from her mother for ex) or because they studied extra languages. In the UK there is a very low focus on languages so that is shown in William as well. In some countries (like Beligum or Luxembourg) there are many languages in the country so there it's more needed as well. Some just know more languages which is totally ok and fine, but not needed. So I just see it as languages is not Williams thing and since they're not needed he didn't put focus on learning them more.
It's probably not the "thing" for many future world leaders and Royals. But as another poster pointed it is not only the mark of a gentleman or a person of breeding, it's also the sign of someone who has an intellectual curiosity about other people and their cultures.

And that is why it is included as mandatory preparation for a ruler.

And yes...that includes the Presidents of the U.S. The fact that most of the recent ones spoke only English is nothing to be proud of.

For the record...Guillaume of Luxembourg will not need to go far in the world speaking only Luxembourgish Rudolph. This guy who is the same age as William and went to less prestigious universities than William and Harry speaks German, Spanish, English, French AND his native Luxembourgish.

Flawlessly in each.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 08-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's probably not the "thing" for many future world leaders and Royals. But as another poster pointed it is not only the mark of a gentleman or a person of breeding, it's also the sign of someone who has an intellectual curiosity about other people and their cultures.

And yes...that includes the Presidents of the U.S. The fact that most of the recent ones spoke only English is nothing to be proud of.

For the record...Guillaume of Luxembourg will not need to go far in the world speaking only Luxembourgish Rudolph. This guy who is the same age as William and went to less prestigious universities than William and Harry speaks German, Spanish, English, French AND his native Luxembourgish.

Flawlessly in each.
Dear Moonmaiden, I bow to your no doubt superior knowledge but may I point out that for some ie CP Victoria and other family members who have SpLD's, being bi-lingual may be an even greater challenge. HM did speak in Irish in Ireland and it is a difficult language and was an amazing gesture. PW not speaking another language shocks me as he went to Eton where numerous languages are taught.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

And when Guillaume of Luxembourg meets with the President of the United States do they speak German, Spanish, English, French or his native Luxembourgish?

Prince William will go far knowing 'only' English.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Who knows what language they speak in private? Aren't most of the important conversations held in private? I believe US Presidents have on numerous occasions spoken to others in languages other than English?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The President of the United States probably doesn't meet with Guillaume of Luxembourg. But he has met with William twice already.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

HMQ speaks French to a considerably higher standard than 'schoolgirl', she does so with an English accent, i grant you, but she is pretty 'advanced' at it.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Majesty

My point Rudolph, is that the for the first time in British Royal history the monarch will not be able to communicate in another language.

William will be less well rounded as a ruler than not only his peers, but his ancestors as well. If for some reason during his world travels during a walkabout he encounters a person who cannot speak English he will need the help of a translator.

How will the fact that he has had a 20 minute chat with the president change that Skippy?? Do you think the average factory worker William meets in Germany will care more that the king of England met President Obama than that William can speak decent German? How about the French speakers ?

I am sure Guillaume probably feels it's more important to be able to communicate with his future subjects effectively...ALL of them...whether in English, German, French, or Luxembourgish, than to schmooze with the president of the US for a few minutes and discuss such monumental world subjects as fave cricket or basketball teams.

Guillaume, Haakon, Victoria, Fred...heck even little Leonor of Spain and Elisabeth of Belgium...will not have the same disadvantage.

Excellent point about Victoria of Sweden Honeybees!

Old 08-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

He will not be the first British King to speak only one language. Better for a King of Britain to be uni-lingual and speak English than to be multi-lingual and not speak it (which had happened several times).

Further, I highly doubt he's the only (future) British king to speak just English. I've read that George V did not speak any other languages before becoming King, and attempts to get him to learn another language were less than successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
What does a dinner between Beatrix and Juan Carlos in 1985 has to do with William?

Is William a member of the CoE ? Yes. Product of a legally sanctioned marriage approved by the monarch per Royal marriage act? Yes Eldest son of the Eldest son of the Monarch? Yes That is all that is needed. When the Queen and Charles die, William is King.

Being a member of the CoE isn't actually a requirement. Not being a Catholic is a requirement, but technically being a member of the CoE is just an expectation.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

George V spoke only English tried to learn German as PoW found it difficult. George VI spoke only English. If Elizabeth was born a boy, she would have been sent off in the military like her father and grandfather and wouldn't speak French as she does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Being a member of the CoE isn't actually a requirement. Not being a Catholic is a requirement, but technically being a member of the CoE is just an expectation.

Wouldn't you have to become a member of CoE to be its Supreme Governor as monarch?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Majesty

I'm sorry but I disagree with everyone. For me the fact that the future king of Great Britain speaks only one language is a big minus to his education.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

First of all, this isn't mandatory. Preferable, perhaps, but not mandatory. There is no requirement that says that the King of the UK must speak at least 1 language in addition to English - there isn't even a requirement that the King of the UK speak English.

Second of all, who are you to decide that being bi- or multi-lingual is a sign of being a gentleman, intellectual, or caring at all about other cultures. There are a good number of people in prisons who are bilingual, but I wouldn't make the assumption that they're culturally curious gentlemen.

All being bilingual necessarily shows is that a person can speak two languages.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Majesty

Every authorized biography I've read of George V and VI states that they could at least manage German.Up until the First World War the British Royal family was enthusiastically pro-German. Edward VII and VIII spoke German and French. Germanophile Queen Victoria spoke German like a native. Her immediate predecessors did as well.

(*See Theo Aronson's "Grandmama of Europe: The Crowned Descendants of Queen Victoria*)

Ish I am not the one who first advanced the idea that the ability to converse in many languages is a sign of a gentleman, Mbruno did and I agree with him. Traditionally in the social strata that William belongs to that has been the case. And to answer your question, I did so as a poster with the right to a personal opinion on a public message board.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Hmmm... suitability to be King? Is Charles more suitable to be King than the present Queen? Of course he is. He, perhaps, is one of the best dressed men in the world and his suits are impeccable. Now with William, he really does need to branch out from the ever present blue suits. Maybe gray or pinstripes or even a dashing seersucker for hot weather.
Charles is better suited to be King now, than Princess Elizabeth was in 1952.

Is he better suited now? He is nowhere near. The Queen is shy and reserved, but she is very kind, warm, caring, forgiving, non-judgmental, calm and wise.

Her Majesty has like no other dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth. She have spent 63 years building relations between nations and peoples. She's an international icon, and there will never ever be another like her.

Will Charles and Willian become good Monarchs? Yes, they will. And both of them will and should do things in their own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
As PW said and I am aware I am paraphrasing, no one could ever have foreseen the enormous changes HM seen during her reign. Who knows what we will see in Prince Charles reign, and the whole point of a an heir is they are next in line to the throne, so by the time PW becomes king, who knows what the role will entail. We don't even know if there will be a Monarchy? This is a role both his father and he have been brought up to perform, all their lives, is it not?
I am almost sure that Charles, William and George etc will become kings of the UK, with or without Scotland. The only reason to why this shouldn't happen must be a very very very big scandal.

To abolish the British monarchy will be very difficult.
1: Most polls must show a majority for a republic.
2: Majority in the house of commons for a referendum, this is not going to happen.
3: Majority in the referendum for a republic, this is not going to happen.
4: Changing the country's name, changing the pound, remove the royal name from all state institutions. These are just some of the things that must be changed.
5: All of this is going to cost so much money that even many Republicans will start doubting it.

I actually think the British monarchy is the safest in the world, along with the Japanese.

Republicanism in the UK remains among the lowest in the world, with figures rarely exceeding 20% in support of a British republic, some polls have it as low 13%, and consistent ~70% support for the continuation of the Monarchy. And Some polls have the support for the monarchy as high as 82%, others at around 70 to 76%, another poll has the support for the monarchy from 66 to 70%.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Wouldn't you have to become a member of CoE to be its Supreme Governor as monarch?

Mary I was Catholic. James VI and I was raised Presbyterian. Charles II converted to Catholicism on his deathbed, James II was a Catholic well before his death. William III was Calvinist. George I and II were Lutheran. I would assume that Frederick, Prince of Wales was also Lutheran.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree with everyone. For me the fact that the future king of Great Britain speaks only one language is a big minus to his education.
I totally agree eya.

No one is saying he will make a bad king. He can be charming and personable. He seems to relate well to people who are socially disadvantaged.

But in this area I feel he is deficient, especially compared to his peers and his antecedents.