The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To many of us its the educational degree that gets us ahead in the world is how we measure other people. To some its the amount of money in a bank account that matters.. and to others its the money AND the title that matter and then it goes on to include the bloodline.. who you came from and whatnot and the scandals can be such fun! .. and on it goes.

Baseline.. we're all folks. we just think different and have different situations we deal with. William is just as human as we are.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Gentry

Before the wedding in 2011, a lot of people thought the crown should skip Charles and go to William ( i didnt agree with this). Post-2011, a lot of people now realize the like it or not, Charles is better trained & prepared for the job.
I think the change in this view is due to Catherine & George. With his marriage & a baby, people realize that William still has a lot of millestones to achieve. He needs time with his young family, he needs time to learn the ropes. The Queen was amazing at 25 but she sacrifised a lot, had little time for her children. Charles does not have a young family anymore, his boys are now men. He can dedicate himself to the top job better.

The coming year or so will shape William's role within the royal family, that is something I will keep a close eye on.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
[ The coming year or so will shape William's role within the royal family, that is something I will keep a close eye on.
We all know that should any of the royals cut the cheese, let the big one fly and/or pass gas and blame it on the corgi it will make front page news. For weeks people will be discussing the how and why said unmentionable act of a mammal would be removed from their clothing and would that clothing be fit to wear again. It would be the fart heard around the world within minutes of it happening.

The point I'm trying to make is that we cannot know and/or judge Wills from what the media is privileged to know. We never get the full story or picture.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Courtier

He's 31 not exactly a child. He is either prepared or not prepared.

His grandmother & father can both die suddenly, (Accident, falling off a horse, helicopter crash.) and the top job will be his.

We can all watch him next year to see if he has the qualifications.

Does he write his own speeches? Is he tongue tied? Does he fidget when speaking to world leaders? Is he awkward around world leaders? Does he divert his eyes when speaking to someone?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
He's 31 not exactly a child. He is either prepared or not prepared.

His grandmother & father can both die suddenly, (Accident, falling off a horse, helicopter crash.) and the top job will be his.

We can all watch him next year to see if he has the qualifications.

Does he write his own speeches? Is he tongue tied? Does he fidget when speaking to world leaders? Is he awkward around world leaders? Does he divert his eyes when speaking to someone?
I would imagine that HM, the DoE and PoW ensured that William would be prepared to take on the role of king if needed. Had the unthinkable happened to the senior royals, he would have the assistance of advisers. If he'd still been a young teenager then there would have been a regent to stand in his place until he reached a certain age ie 21. There would have been a long preparation time before his coronation.

From what I can see William knows how to interact with world leaders. He's had the opportunity to meet with leaders and members of the UK and Commonwealth governments. AFAIK he has not created controversy at home or abroad with his remarks either. In a nutshell he appears to be ready to take on the role if needed.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Many people also grow into a role or rise to the occasion when the need to. William seems like a bright guy, so I imagine he will cope very well when the time comes.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Courtier

arguably both Charles and William will be (are) far more educated and prepared for the position than either of their 2 crowned predecessors were at their time of their accession. I would assume HM has seen to that as she was witness to her father being thrust into the role.

QEII - began her reign at the age of 26; although she had been the heir presumptive since she was 10 yrs old

George VI - assumed the role after his brother abdicated - virtually no preparation nor formal training.

You can only arm them with tools - the rest is experience.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The Queen is showing no signs of ill health so I fully expect her to be around several more years when you look at the longevity of the women in her family.

By the time Charles gets to be King he's not going to be a spring chicken himself. However I think, unless he is in bad health, he will take his place if for no other reason in order to help William learn more and delay all that load until it's necessary.

If we are getting under the desk I'll bring the anti-pasta.

LaRae
Grazie, La Rae! Welcome under here. It's a nice large desk with a few cushions, so we can push on till morning! :-)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

In Life Story William & Kate, it was written:

"All these questions about do you want to be king? It's not a question of wanting to be," he (William) says. "It's something I was born into and it's my duty."

I believe that as a Prince, William is performing his royal duties efficiently.
As a Sovereign, William will perform his kingly duties efficiently.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Courtier

And yes he will do his duty and maybe somewhere he wishes he was just an average guy flying and having his family. I believe he has accepted his role in life as he had no choice when he was born as to whom his parents would be. I do admire him for accepting his role in life.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I don't see him as unsuitable but his father gives me the impression of being a far better king. At 31 he still doesn't seem to like royal duties and does them when he has to. At the same time he has proven to be a hard worker with his various training and jobs.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Royal Highness

I think Charles was much more prepared at William's age... But the times have changed... If I have to say if IMO he is suitable now I think not... But when he will become king ( I guess later in his 50s at least) he might be... we'll see...
Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think Charles was much more prepared at William's age... But the times have changed... If I have to say if IMO he is suitable now I think not... But when he will become king ( I guess later in his 50s at least) he might be... we'll see...
Timing is everything. For those of us old enough to remember, Charles at William's age seemed already impatient with his waiting status. Being prepared but not being allowed to act must be incredibly frustrating. I always thought it interesting that the press pipped Catherine as waity Katie - having a third party watch you wait only intensifies the anxiety.
I've always had the opinion that The Prince of Wales is completely behind a methodical development (slow to some) for Wills because the POW knows intimately how excruciating the wait can be.
William already has developed the skills of internal character and personal people skills. It's a great base upon which he can build the diplomatic and political skills he will need in the future.
In some ways, William's personal reticence to speak on political topics shows him a bit ahead of his dad on this singular skill. He seems perfectly happy to help and influence without sharing his opinion with the UK.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Gentry

I definitely think Charles is more prepared than William, but Charles was also handed a lot more responsibility at a much younger age because he was the Heir Apparent from childhood. He was invested as Prince of Wales at 21. William hasn't gotten to that position. I also think that William has more of a public mask he puts on than Charles does. He has shied away from the press ever since everything with his mother happened. I think he has grown to be fiercely protective of his private life as a result - including his private personality. It's obvious that he is uncomfortable with the press in his life, but I think coming from a family that is required to put duty above self, he will perform his role as King effectively when his time comes. I do sometimes wonder though if he would be more comfortable in a more informal, laid back atmosphere like some of the other European monarchies have.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
. . . . . In some ways, William's personal reticence to speak on political topics shows him a bit ahead of his dad on this singular skill. He seems perfectly happy to help and influence without sharing his opinion with the UK.
It is interesting to note the different ways we see things. For me, I think William's silent acquiescence is the result of his being unprepared to ever go off script and is a avid adherent to the Proverb, "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

I look at William and think he is a pretty ordinary 30 year old and is invested in his job and that job is, for now, flying rescue helicopters. I don't get the impression that he is invested in anything other than that or his charities, certainly not anything remotely political and, strangely enough, for me I can't help but think it is not wisdom that keeps him silent but apathy.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Courtier

Very good insight into William, I think with his mother's divorce and the press hounding her the way they did has made a huge impression on him and from what I see, he is reluctant in many ways of being more then he is right now. Oh he will do his duty as he has been taught to do, but if given a free choice, he would not be king and live his life on his terms. I think he hides behind those beautiful blue eyes and charming smile a great deal and only few really know him.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
Oh he will do his duty as he has been taught to do, but if given a free choice, he would not be king and live his life on his terms.
Absolutely agreed. I really do feel for him, being stuck in a position he obviously would prefer not to be in. Hopefully, both the Queen and Charles live long, full lives - giving him ample time to grow more comfortable in the role before he has to be front-and-center.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Why would William want to be political? As King he would need to be apolitical, so it is best to be like the Queen and keep his views private rather to be like his father with a document trail following behind him.

Also he is going to be King of multiple countries- definitely another reason to stay away from politics.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness

I am surprised that this thread exists. The day of Prince William's kingship is still far away. And... suitable or not suitable, intelligent or not intelligent, social or not social, handsome or not handsome, political or not political, the good man WILL be King. That is the principle of a hereditary succession. When a young, barely educated and prepared lady can become Queen (Victoria and Elizabeth) and have long Reigns, then Prince William is -in comparison- more than overqualified for "the job".
Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

If only the technology had existed and it could have provided us with threads for the following: Henry VI, Charles I, Edward VI, Edward V, Edward VIII, and a few others.