The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You and me both. However, I'm more excited and interested to see what they'll do/accomplish as King and Queen Consort. They certainly have a lot of potential and are loved by their future subjects. I believe that when given the chance, they would be unstoppable.
Daria, dont be soo eager to see them as King and Queen soon. Thinking logically, there isnt pretty much to accomplish ans King and Queen Cosort, except sitting pretty tight, and going by the book with a smile and a wave.
William and Kate can accomplish all they want/can in their lives only as The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and later as The Prince and Princess of Wales..It is this period that is going to make them distinct, and make their own mark.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Not a lot of people know the supposed "value" of monarchy, goes to show if there's any value left at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
If you dont think monarchy has any value, then why on earth are you here? Better get the hell out of TRF..and do something with "value".
Because people are allowed to voice their opinions and discuss on a discussion board what they want to as long as it fits within the parameters of the rules of the forums.

ETA: I think it would be quite wonderful if William did not become King until his child/ren were essentially grown - about 20 years from now.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post

Because people are allowed to voice their opinions and discuss on a discussion board what they want to as long as it fits within the parameters of the rules of the forums.

ETA: I think it would be quite wonderful if William did not become King until his child/ren were essentially grown - about 20 years from now.
Thank you. Whilst I agree about voicing opinions, nowhere in that sentence did I say I shared the opinion.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Thank you. Whilst I agree about voicing opinions, nowhere in that sentence did I say I shared the opinion.
Ok Lumutqueen, do us all a favour. At the end of every post of yours, write in bold, "Not my opinion unless specified".
There is a serious danger of people assuming what one posted is his own opinion
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Majesty

What I find sad about these polls is that they forget that there are real people involved who actually care about each other. Do they really believe that William would want that job instead of his own father? Do they really believe that William hates his father that much that he would want to hurt him to that extent?

Sadly I do think there are people out there who do believe that William hates his father but I don't. I don't think they are all that close but I don't think William is that cruel.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

Ok Lumutqueen, do us all a favour. At the end of every post of yours, write in bold, "Not my opinion unless specified".
There is a serious danger of people assuming what one posted is his own opinion
Actually most people, when writing on here, use IMO to state when something is there opinion. I do hope that's helpful in understand people's posts for you.

William's just as suitable as Charles, however Charles is more prepared.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Nobility

I agree and while the idea of a young couple is a nice little fairy tale, it isn't the reality of the situation. I will say that I disagree with the idea that being a royal or more specifically King and Queen doesn't really amount to much except looking pretty. I think there is a tremendous amount of work that can be done for people's welfare and advocating for institutions and movements and ideas. I think there is so much they can accomplish. People need someone to care and be their voice. Politicians don't necessarily always do a good or even decent job of that.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Majesty

I do believe the Cambridges would do a pretty good job, IF, they became King & Queen tomorrow. No doubt it would be a shock to them and completely change their lives but the royals always do what they have to do. I think The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh are pretty good examples of that.

The Queen didn't have an apprenticeship like her son, Charles. Her father fell ill and the young mother of two did what she had to do. With the help of her husband, of course.

I just think their roles within the "Firm" need to be developed more and I think their future roles as The Prince & Princess of Wales will help them too.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actually most people, when writing on here, use IMO to state when something is there opinion. I do hope that's helpful in understand people's posts for you.

William's just as suitable as Charles, however Charles is more prepared.
That would be IYO I am guessing.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I suspect it says a lot more about our failing educational systems and the celebrity culture we all live in.
If you were an educator NGalitzine, what would you teach the children about Royalty?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Courtier

I think William needs experience of managing a staff (200-300 persons) and working with laws and government. Charles has one.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Courtier

I supect he needs to first be willing...I am not seeing it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I think William needs experience of managing a staff (200-300 persons) and working with laws and government. Charles has one.
He's a natural,he has the qualifications,and if is was only by birth alone...it's that simple..He's bred and raised to it,all the way since he was a todler...And still...But he has more in store and I'm sure,to manage a little over the 200 to 300 people aforementioned...LOL!!The UK and the Commonwealth will do nicely...

Oh..I do hope he reads this thread...he would be at his wits end without it!..ROTFL!!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
If you were an educator NGalitzine, what would you teach the children about Royalty?
I'm not NGalitzine but I've been through nearly 9 years of the British education system, 4 years specifically spent doing history and the only Monarchs I was taught about were Elizabeth I, Henry VIII and those involved in the Hundred Years War. There's no back story, no how it became, no modern day role etc. Some European Politics modules do examine the role of monarchy, but it's a one lecture issue.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I think William would have people to manage his people. There's a chain of command involved in the royal household I believe.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Prince William will be fine when his time comes. The Queen was 25 when she ascended. One must deal with these things.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Prince William will step up to the plate when his time comes. No doubt he probably will be in his 50's or 60's when the time comes. If for some reason he comes to the throne sooner, there are many people around him that will help him.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Prince William will be fine when his time comes. The Queen was 25 when she ascended. One must deal with these things.
The Queen was brought up in a totally royal environment - including being educated at home. Queen Mary spent a lot of time with her explaining the royal background, the royal collection etc., and she also spent time with royal historians giving the deeper meaning and background to the role.

No one was trying to tell her that she should or could lead a "normal" life. It was laid out clearly that her life was to be one of duty and committment.

Prince Charles had a similar upbringing but, being a man, had to serve in the military. But he was told by the Queen to give up this life he enjoyed at the age of 27 to support his mother

That is not, IMO, what has happened to William. I think that fooling William and Harry into thinking they could be normal was a mistake.

The sooner William realises that there is nothing normal about his future life the better. And Catherine needs to realise it too.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm not NGalitzine but I've been through nearly 9 years of the British education system, 4 years specifically spent doing history and the only Monarchs I was taught about were Elizabeth I, Henry VIII and those involved in the Hundred Years War. There's no back story, no how it became, no modern day role etc. Some European Politics modules do examine the role of monarchy, but it's a one lecture issue.
My personal experience in Australia has been that history is more about our roots ("discovery" of Australia) and how we went from there, no monarchy. Changes being looked at are more about including aboriginal history which is relevant. Later in school history is about world influences such as the industrial revolution, wars, etc. Because monarchy no longer is the ruling power and because we are geographically far removed from it as well as being headed towards a republic, I guess less and less is featured where monarchy is concerned. Even our currency is being changed to feature the queen less. This is why, when the referendum was on in 1999, I had to do research on it and consequently joined Royal Anecdotes.

I am surprised that you did not have more exposure to the role of monarchy. Perhaps because they are there and you are exposed to them as a matter of fact?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Aristocracy

I don't get this question of whether or not he is suitable for a job that is solely based on birth. William gets the job because of his birth as the heir's first born (son).

So unless he was born with a major birth defect or extremely low IQ, he get the job. Lucky for the commonwealth, William appears to be bright, pleasant, polite with a sense of humor. He is intelligent enough to graduate from college and a military academy, successfully train on helicopters and is respected and trusted enough to fly in harms way to rescue people at sea. His helicopter is not cheap, so if the military did not think he could handle it, he would not be flying them.

The job of King is not the same as the job of prime minister. And unlike the PM who can look forward to retirement, the job of monarch lasts a lifetime and is past down to your children.