The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know, I hope I will be around to witness the Coronation of King William & Queen Catherine. I think their Coronation would be awsome.
You and me both. However, I'm more excited and interested to see what they'll do/accomplish as King and Queen Consort. They certainly have a lot of potential and are loved by their future subjects. I believe that when given the chance, they would be unstoppable.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You know, I hope I will be around to witness the Coronation of King William & Queen Catherine. I think their Coronation would be awsome.
Agreed and William will make a great king and Catherine a supportive consort. May God watch over them and protect them.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Majesty

I agree. I try not to think about it too much because that would mean William and everybody else will lose The Queen & Prince of Wales but I just hope I'm around to see that great day and what the future have in store for King William & Queen Catherine.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have to say that I have my doubts that neither Charles, nor William will chose to have a coronation, the world have changed a lot since 1953 and depending on the world economy the next decade(s) I'm not sure that the expenses for a coronation will be welcomed by the people of the U.K.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
I have to say that I have my doubts that neither Charles, nor William will chose to have a coronation, the world have changed a lot since 1953 and depending on the world economy the next decade(s) I'm not sure that the expenses for a coronation will be welcomed by the people of the U.K.
My goodness we are a monarchy and not a republic. Of course there will be a coronation. Around 80 percent of the country support the monarchy. The coronation will be bigger than last years royal wedding.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Serene Highness

Continental monarchies may do things low key but as long as Britain and its realms have the House of Windsor, we will have a grand coronation. The lefties can moan and whine all they like, doesn't change a thing.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Courtier

William is not ready.

Being monarch is more than just meeting and greeting people.

There are the red boxes and meeting with his/her ministers.

Charles has been assisting the queen since the 1970's. He has been writing to government ministers for several years. He is aware of government policies/directions.

William is very far removed from the running of the government.

Being popular doesn't mean he is ready.

The Queen receives the red boxes daily except Christmas and Easter. Does anyone really think William is ready for this?

William is still uncomfortable giving speeches.

He needs to increase his royal duties, quit his search & rescue job and began assisting his father assist his grandmother with the behind the scene work of being a monarch not just the pageantry aspect of being royal.

Until then it is very premature to even think of a King William much less a coronation.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla
William is not ready.

There are the red boxes and meeting with his/her ministers.

Charles has been assisting the queen since the 1970's. He has been writing to government ministers for several years. He is aware of government policies/directions.

Being popular doesn't mean he is ready.

The Queen receives the red boxes daily except Christmas and Easter. Does anyone really think William is ready for this?

William is still uncomfortable giving speeches.

He needs to increase his royal duties, quit his search & rescue job and began assisting his father assist his grandmother with the behind the scene work of being a monarch not just the pageantry aspect of being royal.

Until then it is very premature to even think of a King William much less a coronation.
Well he's not going to be King tomorrow unless something drastic happens, so he'll learn everything you pointed out during his father's reign and then he'll be an 'able' King.

The Queen hasn't seen fit to tell William everything you have, so if she's happy to allow him to live a normal life for as long as possible, I'll accept that.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
William is not ready.

Well Queen Camilla, HM doesn't run the government either, far from it.
Meeting and greeting the public IS a large part of being a 21st century constitutional monarch. As HM has said "I have to be seen to be believed"

William is an intelligent man that I'm sure when the time comes, will be capable of reading his red boxes and having his weekly chit chat with the PM

A monarch is to be informed on government policy but that's it. Publicly the Queen has to be politically neutral.

Charles' reign will be drastically different in many ways from HM's.
William's reign different from his father's but the one thing any monarch needs is the love and support of his or her subjects and all indications are at this stage, William has that love and support and will be a very popular and thus successful king.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Charles' reign will be drastically different in many ways from HM's. William's reign different from his father's but the one thing any monarch needs is the love and support of his or her subjects and all indications are at this stage, William has that love and support and will be a very popular and thus successful king.
One of the major differences I think we're going to see starting with the reign of Charles is that the monarchy will seem to be more and more focused on the humanitarian. While the monarchy has always had strong ties with the military, we're seeing more and more programs coming out to aid those that have served such as with Harry and Walking with the Wounded. With the Prince's Trust, many are finding their way to a healthy, sustainable life and the charities of the Cambridges deal with people of the nation that 100 years ago were practically never talked about... the downtrodden, the homeless, the addicted. I'm not saying that the present reign doesn't do any of these things but I think it will become more pronounced and the monarchy will give real meaning to serving the people. In a way I think this will be a reflection of Diana's legacy as William and Catherine may be seen as "The People's King and Queen". The days of the mystique of the royal family will be left behind. 'Ich Dien" is not a motto that Charles takes lightly.

As far as the red boxes and government dealings with William, I think he must have had some kind of training in this so far if for some reason he may be called on to act as Councillor of State. As been stated, Charles has been assisting the Queen since the 1970s so he is well prepared to mentor his son in this aspect too during his reign.

I do think however that both Charles and William will definitely have a coronation with all the pomp and circumstance and traditions in full glory. Its so much part of the identity of the UK and for many of us even worldwide, the Crown is something we've rarely seen. Like royal weddings, it gives the people a sense of unity and something to celebrate. To not have a coronation would be like having a holiday dinner without the main course.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Geographical facts always have been shaping the politics and will in the future (just think of the water situation in the Levante region between Jordan and Israel or between Turkey and Syria).

William has studied geography and a lot of these studies are politic-related topics. So he has a very good basic (that is: academical) knowledge of the world's situation in addition to being an active officer (political training here as well) and having had his own experiences from travelling the world in official function and being briefed in advance (and a lot more such occasions to come).

Thus William is well-versed in these topics, even though he mostly leaves it to his father to actually "dabble". But that can change - and fast if necessary.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Majesty

It's true that Charles is well prepared for the "Tob Job" (as Diana called it) and William still need some time to prepare for his future Kingship but I have no doubt in my mind that if William came to the throne tomorrow, he would go on to do what he have to do.

I'm just drawing on the fact that his grandmother didn't have an royal apprentinceship like Charles. She was busy being a young wife and young mother but when her father needed her to step in and take on the job he could no longer do, she simply did what she had to do. The Windsors take their duty and service to the nation and Commonwealth very seriously.

I think with the love and support of Catherine, William will make a great Monarch.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One of the major differences I think we're going to see starting with the reign of Charles is that the monarchy will seem to be more and more focused on the humanitarian. While the monarchy has always had strong ties with the military, we're seeing more and more programs coming out to aid those that have served such as with Harry and Walking with the Wounded. With the Prince's Trust, many are finding their way to a healthy, sustainable life and the charities of the Cambridges deal with people of the nation that 100 years ago were practically never talked about... the downtrodden, the homeless, the addicted. I'm not saying that the present reign doesn't do any of these things but I think it will become more pronounced and the monarchy will give real meaning to serving the people. In a way I think this will be a reflection of Diana's legacy as William and Catherine may be seen as "The People's King and Queen". The days of the mystique of the royal family will be left behind. 'Ich Dien" is not a motto that Charles takes lightly.

As far as the red boxes and government dealings with William, I think he must have had some kind of training in this so far if for some reason he may be called on to act as Councillor of State. As been stated, Charles has been assisting the Queen since the 1970s so he is well prepared to mentor his son in this aspect too during his reign.

I do think however that both Charles and William will definitely have a coronation with all the pomp and circumstance and traditions in full glory. Its so much part of the identity of the UK and for many of us even worldwide, the Crown is something we've rarely seen. Like royal weddings, it gives the people a sense of unity and something to celebrate. To not have a coronation would be like having a holiday dinner without the main course.
Very valid points. Like you, I think the monarchy is moving towards being an institution that works to improve the lives of those who are struggling, and bringing awareness to issues that before have been swept under the rug. I think that when it comes to the 'political' aspect of being a monarch, William has a good amount of time to learn the ropes, and, if Her Majesty considers him fit to be called to be a Councillor of State, then perhaps he's farther along that some may think. Again, when his time comes, I think he'll be as ready as he's ever going to be, and as he himself stated, there's no 'book' about how one does this job, so regardless, he'll have to find his own way and figure out what works best for him and his subjects.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Australians, Britons and Canadians Would Prefer Prince William as King:
Australians, Britons and Canadians Would Prefer Prince William as King | Angus Reid Public Opinion
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Australians, Britons and Canadians Would Prefer Prince William as King:
Australians, Britons and Canadians Would Prefer Prince William as King | Angus Reid Public Opinion
Funny how I never get one of these polls.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Polls are for dogs.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Lol, I guess I can understand the idea of wanting a young and popular royal couple on the throne. Even though Charles is well more prepared for the job than William (at the moment). Unless Charles is unable to take on the future role, the throne will never skip over to William. I think there are folks out there that's disappointed about that.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Polls are for dogs.
Exactly, both created and voted by some crazy people who have absolutely no idea of the value of monarchy in the constitutional/political aspect.
For them, monarchy is just another "hey who looks good in that position" celebrity popular contest..
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

Exactly, both created and voted by some crazy people who have absolutely no idea of the value of monarchy in the constitutional/political aspect.
Not a lot of people know the supposed "value" of monarchy, goes to show if there's any value left at all.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not a lot of people know the supposed "value" of monarchy, goes to show if there's any value left at all.
I suspect it says a lot more about our failing educational systems and the celebrity culture we all live in.