The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Serene Highness

Yes what was it exactly that was not fluent? He sounded pretty good to me. He maybe fumbled once or twice but I thought he did well considering.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Majesty

No worries,The Duke of Cambridge will be groomed through and through by the time he's called to the Throne...any tata on the subject now is just that...bla bla,by people who,with all due respect,haven't got a clue on what's what and requirements for the role other then what has been shown in the Princess diaries by disney...Really.....

If HRH would read this thread he would fall over backwards laughing his Royal behind off.......

Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Yes lucien, you are probably right. And wouldnt that be something if William did peek in on our conversations. He would probably get a laugh out of some of us. :)
Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think he will be a good king. And he will be ready to take on his duties. I just wonder when he will become king. Charles is kind of getting up there in age and being its a new era, Charles should just pass the torch to William.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Charles should just pass the torch to William.
Why should Charles give up his right to be King simply because he is older than his son? William has nothing on his father when it comes to being prepared to be a monarch.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

I know. I just thought it would be nice to have the new era be in charge. Im not saying Charles wouldnt be good, its just time for a change. Dont you think?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I know. I just thought it would be nice to have the new era be in charge. Im not saying Charles wouldnt be good, its just time for a change. Dont you think?
Certainly not. I believe you're thinking along the lines that because Charles is old , there won't be any change until William comes to the throne yes?
I think it's totally unreasonable that Charles be passed over for his son simple because he was born in the 1980s rather than the 1940s. You can't blame Charles for the fact his mother was a young Queen and by the looks of it has the longevity gene.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Following some peoples logic then William would eventually have to pass his throne onto his own son or grandson simply because he has grown old and well "its time for a change". Hereditary monarchy does not work that way, it passes from generation to generation. New monarchs can be very young or very old but they do not get passed over either way.
For those who want change for changes sake we have Parliaments or in some cases Presidents. They come and go every 4 years or so, that should be enough for the change junkies of this world.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

The Prince of Wales would be a new era and it would be a big change from HM the Queen. Prince William should be given the chance to enjoy family life and raise a family before becoming King anyways.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

O.k. O.k. I see everyones point. And after careful consideration I can say that I have been too closed minded! I therefore stand down. Boy you all are a tough crowd!! :) But I love it. :)
Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, you've managed to insult everyone over 60 who participates in this Forum!!! LOL

William can take his turn. Charles will usher in a new House of Windsor, to be sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

Sorry to all those over 50, 60? Kitty thank you for making me feel like a schmuck! And to think, Im almost 60!!! Open mouth, insert foot. lol. :)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ageism much.
The situation is reminiscent of Edward VII and George V.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenei
The Prince of Wales would be a new era and it would be a big change from HM the Queen. Prince William should be given the chance to enjoy family life and raise a family before becoming King anyways.
Very good point. It will be a big change to not have her majasty on the throne. I am sure Charles will a a great king and William will be as well In their on time.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

At the end of the 19th C the same sentiments were being made about Edward VII - that he should stand down in favour of George V, who at the time had a young family, which was increased during the first decade of the century.

As things turned out Edward was the perfect King for that first decade of the century - he was flamboyant, outgoing etc. The very personification of the high point of the British Empire. The very fact that he was only King for 9 years and yet that period is named after him says a lot about his impact and how popular he was.

Charles, like Edward, will follow a very popular long serving female monarch. Will he be as popular as Edward - probably not - but that is as much due to the fact that many more people are anti-monarchy today as any other reason.

Charles should get his chance, even if is it only for 10 years - as that will allow William so more precious years with his family rather than duty, duty, and more duty.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles should get his chance, even if is it only for 10 years - as that will allow William so more precious years with his family rather than duty, duty, and more duty.
I think it will also be a hands on training period for William as he steps into some of the roles Charles performed during his time as Prince of Wales. Now that we see that the Duke of Edinburgh is to curtail his activities a bit, I think we're going to see more and more of William being a full time royal once his stint with SAR is over in 2013. I also kind of expect to see William and/or Kate accompanying the Queen at various functions. What better way to prepare for the future than hands on experience under HM?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think it will also be a hands on training period for William as he steps into some of the roles Charles performed during his time as Prince of Wales. Now that we see that the Duke of Edinburgh is to curtail his activities a bit, I think we're going to see more and more of William being a full time royal once his stint with SAR is over in 2013. I also kind of expect to see William and/or Kate accompanying the Queen at various functions. What better way to prepare for the future than hands on experience under HM?
I believe Catherine is supposed to do a joint engagement with Her Majesty sometime next month. I'm looking forward to it (some articles were posted in Catherine's 'Current Events' thread several days ago). I think we will be seeing William step up a bit even before his RAF/SAR service is up, especially if his grandfather is curtailing his workload. Of course this also gives Charles a chance to do even more, which is never a bad thing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Why is everyone so adamant that William should have "more precious years" with his family without "duty, duty, and more duty?" The Cambridges want to be "normal" and I don't know of many "normal" people who were allowed not to work and spend more time with family. With William possibly just a few years from the Crown, he needs to finish his military duty and get on with it.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
The Cambridges want to be "normal" and I don't know of many "normal" people who were allowed not to work and spend more time with family.
A few observations:
1) This notion of "normal" in the context of the Cambridge couple is one put forward by certain sections of the press, and appears to be taken as gospel by some. In my mind, theire lives are anything but normal. It is certainly not something that the couple themselves have ever pushed.
2) William has a full time job, and does his royal duties in addition to his SAR duties. To me that is hardly the case of trying to choose between work and family.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Aristocracy

I don't believe anyone is making this claim that Prince William while raising a family not perform any duties. The key is there is no need to rush Prince William ahead of his Father.