Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm more bemused by the thought that a woman who willingly marries into a ruling dynasty, all too well aware of what the future is expected to bring, would do so with the hopeful expectation that her husband may not want to be King. Furthermore, that she would use whatever influence she possessed to encourage her husband's resolve either way on the matter.

To me, the mere conception of it makes no sense whatsoever.

I share your feeling that such an idea is nonsensical. In fact, there's a whole band of Kate hating trolls online whose entire reason for disliking her is that they feel she hung around for so long so that she could land the most eligible bachelor in the world. Some rather deluded people believe that she's been determined to win her Prince and so accede to the highest position in the land since she was about 13.

So now for some to somehow say that she's pestering him to give it all up? I've heard it all now.

You make excellent points - and no doubt he was profoundly impacted by all the media attention his mother chose to subject him to. Recall that she had him greeting crowds when he was quite young - and put the two boys in front of the cameras for family outings and what not. The experience must have been defining for him - clearly a sensitive sort.

You write: "The Queen and Charles didn't face that kind of atmosphere when they were growing up." Mainly that was the case because of the choices of their parents - though even the Queen began to change that with the late 60's documentary on the lives of the royals.

Diana chose a lot of her press coverage we now know. She it was who called them up to let them know where she'd be for a photo-op. Does William really blame the press for his mother's death? Has he ever said that? Or is that your surmise because it was the widely bandied about 'truth' at the time of her death - before we knew how complicit Diana was with the press photographers? How much she fomented the press frenzy by her own choice.

William has it in his power to lead a very circumscribed life outside of the glare of the media and still be a royal. The family owns plenty of estates where privacy can be had. He can travel under-the-radar, as does his father and other royals. I don't think its black-or-white. This excuse that William's admirers give for William's absence from his royal family and duties doesn't really hold up for me.

While I agree that Diana could have done a whole lot more to shield her boys from the press, and actually used them in her very public war with her husband, I feel you're understating the development of the media in the 1990s and 2000s at least. When the Queen was growing up very few people had a TV, the newspapers kept a respectful distance from the Royals. The exact opposite of today.

Charles was 'the heir' from such an early age, I feel he's been much more settled with his future role. If anything, it's his current role - that of the heir without a specific function or role - that Charles has struggled with.

I think it's accepted at this stage that William has a disdain for the media, particularly photographers, bordering on hatred. Whatever his mother's complicity in it, he saw his parents suffer greatly at the hands of the press. I also think it's pretty settled now that William feels (as I think most sensible people do) that the papparazzi were complicit in their mother's death. Let's not also forget that it was William, who having figured out that the press had hacked his phone, set in train the 'outing' of the press's despicable and illegal activity which has so far got the News of the World shut down and a huge public inquiry set up into press standards.

William wants to 'give' the press as little as he can get away with. He can control all that much better while not a full time royal. Let's also face facts - there are plenty of serving royals in the UK right now. We're not lacking royal bodies to fulfil engagements. His remaining a 'part-time' royal suits everyone at the moment - gives him and his wife some privacy, allows him to pursue further a career he enjoys, means he and his wife are not overshadowing the Queen and PoW - in fact the only people it doesn't suit are the press and us royal watchers who want to see what Kate's wearing every day ;).

I'm more bemused by the thought that a woman who willingly marries into a ruling dynasty, all too well aware of what the future is expected to bring, would do so with the hopeful expectation that her husband may not want to be King. Furthermore, that she would use whatever influence she possessed to encourage her husband's resolve either way on the matter.

To me, the mere conception of it makes no sense whatsoever.

Think of Empress Elisabeth of Austria. She is known to have secretly harboured hopes that her husband would be disposed and had already transfered quite an amount of money to Switzerland so they could live comfortably till their old adage. She is quoted to have written to him: "if only you were a mere citizen and not an emperor" and to have urged him to abdicate to be able to live with him and him alone...

So - the concept existed. It's not very common but quite some Royal ladies are known to have been relieved when in 1918 their monarchy ended and with it the strike court ceremonials. You can read about that in Maria Eulalia of Spain's book of the times after WWI. Being Ex-Royals meant more freedom for them.

Many a woman has married with hopes of changing her husband. I said I would be castigated and I was. I can't understand why the concept seems so foreign. Only time will tell.

I know I'm going to be castigated, but he also has influences from Kate. I often wonder if SHE wants him to be king and, I must say, I have my doubts about whether she does or not. We don't know her and cannot know what she would like. It will make a difference.

The problem with this is that both William and Catherine are very strong individuals. I wonder how much bending William would do in a case such as you describe. He may not want to be King, but as we know, abdication is pretty much a dirty word in the British Royal Family. I'm also pretty sure Catherine is aware of the feelings the said family has on the concept and issue of abdication. It would be inconsiderate of her to go such a manipulative route. Her job is to support William, not lead him in a direction that may have horrid circumstances for the whole institution of monarchy in the United Kingdom.

However, I'm sure there's an author out there that would love to take this particular route, and run with it. Definitely makes for a good novel.

I just fail to see what might lead someone to think that? Have I missed some rumour/innuendo/suggestion/gossip that might lead any right-thinking person to think Catherine's urging William to renege on his duty, which he has clearly and publicly stated he intends to fulfil?

Many a woman has married with hopes of changing her husband. I said I would be castigated and I was. I can't understand why the concept seems so foreign. Only time will tell.
I can see a wife hoping to change different aspects of her husband's life (style, activities, career) but to sway him accepting his future role as King that I'm not so sure about.

Unless Kate is secretly working for the UK's Republic group:cool: then I do believe that she will do her best to support him in any way possible.

Apart from Harry or his cousins she is most likely the person who understands his concerns about his future role and all of its responsibilities. Apparently she has helped him in the past when it came to decision making so I believe that she continues in that role today.

Outrageous scenerio - ok take a deep breathe!

William says no to being king - assume no children
Harry next in line - assume survives active service in Afganistan and William decides to sacrifice him on the alter of monarchy
Harry says no - assume no children
Duke of York - says YES
Princess Beatrice of York - me next - why didn't anyone prepare me??????????
So many many variables.

No, no, no. William will become king; he doesn't expect his brother, uncle or cousin to take it on and Catherine knows it is also her responsibility. Just be PATIENT. Take a deep breathe and realise its not about today, or tomorrow but 20 years away.

If William blames the press then he also has to blame the public who feed the press by buying the stuff the press put out. That could be a much bigger issue - knowing that the public - his mother's fans - were complicent in her death means he would want to shield his family from that sort of public support.

You were not castigated by me. A mere difference of opinion!

Think of Empress Elisabeth of Austria

Indeed, a woman who was by all accounts not the most 'settled' of women in any case and was totally repulsed by court life and etiquette. A total non conformist and a free radical, i.e; free spirit.

Her hopes for her husbands deposition were not so much for the sake of her husband, but her own self indulgent desire to live a quaint and relatively 'simple' life. Be it one of accustomed comfort.

In this day and age, the woman would have required quite a number of counselling sessions and a few pills to boot I'm sure! I mean, is it any wonder her sense of duty was compromised when her own father would disregard his own official duties in pursuit of private leisure and recreation?

Furthermore, Sisi lived in an age where being told what to do greatly outweighed any real sense of personal choice and thus, she married who she was told. No one made Catherine marry William, and she had the choice not to. Though after a good nine or so years of familiarising herself with William's world, I think it's fairly safe to assume that she knew all to well what she was getting herself in to.

The life of the Queen/Empress, in relation to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, really is a case of chalk and cheese.

Last edited:
I just fail to see what might lead someone to think that? Have I missed some rumour/innuendo/suggestion/gossip that might lead any right-thinking person to think Catherine's urging William to renege on his duty, which he has clearly and publicly stated he intends to fulfil?

I can't see that you've missed anything. I can think more than one way and often do. There are any number of scenarios that might play out. I don't think Kate wants children, either. Just a gut feeling. Now, run with that. Thanks.

Dear me some of the people in here are in need of R&R

THis is supposed to be a resource of information about royal famililies, jewels, history etc. NOT a rant from some about personal views some of which contain frankly nonsense. Some of this stuff does diddly-dumb for the reputation of this site. And as a relative newcomer it is a disappointment to me.

Get a grip folks. Perhaps factual threads vs personal viewpoints should be separated.

Example - "feeling that William does not wish to be King" vs statement made by Prince William as to his acknowledge of his duty in a video.

Some of this stuff is getting ridiculous, I don't know what to blame it on. Perhaps the lack of Kate in a skirt to criticize or no pics of her with her hair down for people to whine about.
William will be king unless a republic emerges, there has been nothing to suggest he won't step up to the challenge when it comes for him nor has there been anything to suggest Kate doesn't want to be his queen. She like Camilla seem to be aware of what is expected of them and have accepted it.

I am very much aware that Diana was a manipulator of the media and that some of her greatest pictures were because she was in with the editors and called the photographers and leaked where she would be. But blaming her for her death because she manipulated the press is taking of too far IMO and sounds like blaming the victim. As I have said before chasing a speeding car to get a picture is creating a hazardous situation for all involved. The only thing I would place on Dodi and Diana is not wearing their seatbelts.

We need to get off this topic anyway seeing as how it is in the wrong thread. I really don't know where this speculation about William's desire to be king is coming from, and the idea that Kate would want him to abdicate? As others have stated where in their actions or history can you deduct that this is something they would desire?

Last edited:
Ok if Harry is going bald then I speculate that William put a hex on him to cause it to happen. Harry's head had been holding onto that hair far longer than William's; so clearly the latter decided to give the bald gene a little wake up call.

Love the posts above! I've read so many here that stay right on track and it's a breath of fresh air to see the posters having a bit of fun for a change (just like seeing the senior Royals occasionally showing their 'human' side). ;o)

Regarding William's wanting to have a "regular life" (for as long as possible) I really don't see what all the fuss is about.....Queen Elizabeth, as well as her mother and father, also wanted that from all that I've read. Weren't the bad feelings in the family towards King Edward VIII's abdication for that very reason as well as for the pressure it put on poor stuttering King George VI? I'm not positive but I thought I saw a youtube video where I heard Queen Elizabeth II state she would have loved to have lived in the countryside raising horses and corgis. Certainly it has been well documented that Queen Elizabeth treasured the time she and Philip had on Malta but when her time came she stepped up to the plate and has done more than an admirable job.

I personally think both William and Kate will do their best when it is his turn (they may wish he wasn't in direct line and having said that Princess Margaret's statement "Poor Elizabeth", when she realized her sister was heiress presumptive, comes to mind here).

Last edited:
@Ladyof Lake

I'm absolutely with you!

One can wish for one thing, but notwithstanding doing ones duty admirably - a lot of us do that too every day of their lives

Please note that off topic posts have been deleted.

Let's get back on topic.

Thanks!

You know, I dont know if this was already discussed or brought up but when do you think William was aware or actually understood that he was special because he would be a King someday? I have wondered about that. How old could he have been when he really knew he was different? sorry if it was already posted somewhere. :)

I'd go with 7 or 8. Can't remember when that story appeared about William wanting to be a police officer to protect his mum and Harry said he couldn't because he would be King,

Oh yes, thats right. I almost forgot about that. Yhank you for reminding me. I suppose being brought up as a royal he would have been told numerous times of his destiny. I wonder now if he fully accepts it.

I am sure William has it the back his mind. It must be surreal for William relise one day I will be Head of State! :king3::crown5:

I believe Charles found out very young as well. Supposedly a servant told him and pointed out his mothers picture on the currency. I remember a story about Albert de Monaco being in elementary school when the teacher asked all the kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. All the little boys responded with the usual policeman, fireman, pilot etc and when it came to Albert he said "I don't have a choice". Princess Caroline said she found out she was different when she noticed that when she got out of a car people took pictures but when her Kelly cousins got out of the car no one took pictures.

William's suitability to be King. Hmm . . . . well it's a biggie, but can someone please explain why it is that whenever he is at a formal function, any formal function, he always manages to look like he is wearing a really worn and somewhat ill-fitting Rent-a-Tux with an incredibly ghastly clip-on Bow-Tie? :ermm:

Not a good look! If he's going to be King he had better get that one sorted! :D

William's tux is a top quality Savile Row double breasted dinner jacket with silk facings and a perfectly tied, black silk satin butterfly bow tie. He always has a silk square in his breast pocket. He ties his bow tie almost identically to his father, who probably taught him how to do it.

This is a classic tux; it never goes out of fashion and is not at all faddish. There's a reason Charles is often voted one of the best dressed men in the world - he understands what a well cut classic double breasted suit can do for a man. William has obviously chosen to follow his lead, although Charles is always just that tiny bit more polished than his son, but that'll come in time. Harry, on the other hand, goes for the boring single button tux like everyone else.

I think William always looks great and dressed to the 9s when he is wearing a suit or a tuxedo.
Charles is voted the best dressed man in England? Well I can't disagree with that.

To answer the question 'when did William realise that he was going to be King?' Well of course only he can answer that but I do think there might be a difference between understanding the he would be King one day and understanding what that entails. The first understanding came relatively early with stories from pre-school or very early day school of him 'threatening' to do things to kids when he was king (you know how little kids will say things like 'I will tell mummy' or 'I will get my big brother to bash you') but understanding all that that entailed I think came much later.

To answer the question 'when did William realise that he was going to be King?' Well of course only he can answer that but I do think there might be a difference between understanding the he would be King one day and understanding what that entails. The first understanding came relatively early with stories from pre-school or very early day school of him 'threatening' to do things to kids when he was king (you know how little kids will say things like 'I will tell mummy' or 'I will get my big brother to bash you') but understanding all that that entailed I think came much later.

I remember reading in several different biographies that came out in late '90s that he realized that he was going to be king pretty early on. I believe when he was around age three or four, he threatened to 'send his knights 'round to kill' some classmates he wasn't getting along with when he became king. This definitely shows that he understood that he was going to have a role where he could tell others what to do. However, this was a very childlike perception, and it basically tells us that he was showing his understanding of the concept of 'king' from days gone by, rather than a constitutional monarch that he would one day become. The more deeper understanding probably came around age eight, give or take a year. He may have observed his Granny at work, or started having 'talks' with her about her job, and of course more than likely learned the elementary history of his nation and its' form of government at school.

In my opinion, William seems to have the type of personality that he will do his job, whatever that may be, to the very best of his ability. Honestly, I think he will do a great job as King. He will have completely mentally prepared himself most likely. He probably already has prepared himself for whatever happens. Got to be on one's toes! Besides regardless of when he first found out, he has had and still has a long time, hopefully, to let it all sink in. I think he's just trying to live through each moment and take life as it comes, not stress over the future.

Back
Top Bottom