The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,196
Any discussions regarding the Duke of Windsor should be posted here Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986) .
__________________

__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 165
Well said American Dane, my point was that royal blood does not mean automatic suitability. I think the fact that secret dispatches to Fort Belvedere were sent back to the Government officials with the ring marks of cocktail glasses on them didn't go down to well either.
William might develop into a good King but it won't only be because he was born into the royal family as the first born. I think it is just as well that nowadays Kings and Queens don't actually rule but are more figureheads than anything else.
This of course means a lot of ribbon cutting and waving and saying "Howdyedo" and so he should be fine, and with a pretty fashion plate on his arm, well what more can Britain and the Commonwealth want?.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
I am just wondering if William has or will visit the other European heirs to the throne since I've never seen him together with them in a picture just hanging out.
HRH crown princess Victoria of Sweden
HRH crown prince Frederick of Denmark
HRH crown prince haakon of Norway
HRH prince Felipe of Spain
Prince Phillippe of Belgium
Prince willem Alexander of the Netherlands
Crown princess margarita of Romania
Crown prince pavlos of Greece ...
__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,196
I think the point is that while royal blood is not the only requirement is it is the #1 reason on why William is suitable. Baring illness, being incapacitated (like George III) or abdicating (like Edward VIII) all the rest really doesn't matter.

People can say that he doesn't have an inkling on real England, doesn't have world experience in terms of personal relationships with foreign royals, can't speak anything other English, has no knowledge of English history, etc. but at the end of the day........unless the rules are changed, a monarch no longer rules England or the Commonwealth, Harry (or anyone else for that does a coup).....at the end of the day....being of royal blood...the direct descendant of Queen Elizabeth II, following the accession of his father the Prince of Wales....William is suitable to be King.

Everything else is just us talking.

Now if you are talking about character...well that is a different topic IMO. Henry VIII was suitable to be King because he was the eldest surviving son of the Henry VII (an anointed King...of course those who thought he was usurper might think differently). Did he have the character to be King ---- in some respects no...his dealing with the Catholic, Church, his children and wives but again that is another topic. But some would say he was a good King based on other things.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Well said American Dane, my point was that royal blood does not mean automatic suitability.
Zonk has summed it up beautifully,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
but at the end of the day........unless the rules are changed, a monarch no longer rules England or the Commonwealth, Harry (or anyone else for that does a coup).....at the end of the day....being of royal blood...the direct descendant of Queen Elizabeth II, following the accession of his father the Prince of Wales....William is suitable to be King.
Your point, imo, is wrong. He will be King. For one reason, and one reason alone, his blood.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I am just wondering if William has or will visit the other European heirs to the throne since I've never seen him together with them in a picture just hanging out.
HRH crown princess Victoria of Sweden
HRH crown prince Frederick of Denmark
HRH crown prince haakon of Norway
HRH prince Felipe of Spain
Prince Phillippe of Belgium
Prince willem Alexander of the Netherlands
Crown princess margarita of Romania
Crown prince pavlos of Greece ...
I doubt you would ever see these 8 people ever hanging out with William, not publically. Pavlos and William are presumed close because of their location. As for the others, I doutb William has ever met them outside his work commitments, my opinion of course. As time goes on and he becomes the heir, we may see more interaction with foreign royals. But experience tells me that's not the British way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
but at the end of the day........unless the rules are changed, a monarch no longer rules England or the Commonwealth, Harry (or anyone else for that does a coup).....at the end of the day....being of royal blood...the direct descendant of Queen Elizabeth II, following the accession of his father the Prince of Wales....William is suitable to be King.
Lovely post, as I said, beautiful. Nothing barring death, coup or abdication, can stop him from being suitable, he was suitable the day he was born.

This topic seems to be leaning towards the personality William should have when King, IMO.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 521
William has a good 20+ years before he becomes King. He will learn a lot in that time. He is already showing us that he is not afraid of hard work (RAF) and he proved he can study hard (college degree and pilot training). He has also taken step to learn about the needs of underprivileged people. I think he will keep on learning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,340
Most of the CP listed by Grandduchess 24 are much older than Prince William. The one closest in age to him is CP Victoria whose 5 years older than he. Because most of them are much older (10 or more years), they probably don't have much in common and don't socialize in the same circles. Once they are leaders, perhaps their relationship would change due to them being monarchs but may never be close relationships.

The only heir to the throne that I can think of that is close in age is Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg Guillaume who I believe is a year older than he. They don't travel in the same social circles.

Will be interesting when these indiviudals take the throne what their relationships will be like.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Actually, I don't think it is imperative that he has to "mix" with other cultures/socio-economic peoples on an "Average Joe" basis. That is the job of elected government.

The duties of the monarch are governed by protocol.

Currently, I don't believe William is ready to be king; but I do believe he will be when the time comes.

William has had to be ready from the day he turned 18 because if something happened in rapid succession to his grandmother and father he would be King.

Look at the present Queen - Queen at 25 - because of the death of her father and both she and Charles are already older than he was when he died.

Why 18 - because at 18 he would be taking on all the responsibilities in his own right.

He is ready now and has been for over a decade and has had a full range of experiences since then e.g. Counsellor of State, royal tours etc.

He will be fine, when the time comes, which I hope will be in another 30+ years as I am sure that he would like to have his father around for many many more years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
William has had to be ready from the day he turned 18 because if something happened in rapid succession to his grandmother and father he would be King.

Look at the present Queen - Queen at 25 - because of the death of her father and both she and Charles are already older than he was when he died.

Why 18 - because at 18 he would be taking on all the responsibilities in his own right.

He is ready now and has been for over a decade and has had a full range of experiences since then e.g. Counsellor of State, royal tours etc.

He will be fine, when the time comes, which I hope will be in another 30+ years as I am sure that he would like to have his father around for many many more years.
I think if William HAD to become king tomorrow he could and I think he'd do a decent job of it right from the start, in terms of being able to handle the nuts and bolts part of the job.

In terms of whether he'd be a good king, I think that's something that can really only be judged after an entire reign. Looking back over the 60+ years of Queen Elizabeth's rule I can say that I think she's been a good monarch. She's had some bad times and made mistakes but overall she's done very well. William doesn't have that long term record to judge - he's kind of a blank slate at this point. I think he has all the raw materials to be a successful king, and he's doing all the right things to prepare himself as best he can, but that doesn't mean that something won't happen ten, fifteen years into his time as king that will throw everything off. Someone brought up Henry VIII earlier in the thread. To me he's the perfect example of someone starting out extremely promising and then becoming tarnished because of the way he reacted to life circumstances. It's interesting to think how different things might have been had he and his first wife been able to have a healthy son, for instance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 165
When thinking of Prince William's suitability I suppose we have to recall what Prince Andrew said about his own suitability to represent British Trade - he has the genetic qualifications.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 322
While I the his time to be King will come somewhere between 20 - 30 years tops, I do think that having that time frame will be good for him. He has a good head on his shoulders and is very compassionate and loving and personable. I think he also understands the magnitude of his role. I don't think that he would be a bad king right now if he were to become king. In fact, I think he'd make a fanstatic king. I think he'll probably be in his 40s when he becomes King and by that time he will be more than ready to ascend to the throne. He's going to make an excellent King no matter when or how he gets thee. I think he is very qualified(by birth of course) and he is very well suited for the role and will make everyone very proud.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
He's going to be nothing more than a figure head, he's not going to be a president or prime minister. Elizabeth II was educated horribly and she seems to do the job well. On wikipedia it says Charles has his degree in anthropology and archeology and has studied the Welsh language and history. But again he was the Prince of Wales from an early age. I think all these degrees in politics and economics would be better suited for royals like Prince Alois or Prince Albert who are more than figure heads. If Frederick, Haakon, Victoria etc. have degrees in these studies then good for them, especially in economics which I hate! There is no education requirement to be King of England, so despite what William's education is he still meets the only requirement necessary for the position.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 PM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Qualification of birth does not a good monarch make. Let's take a look at Nikolai II of Russia. He was born into a family that not only reigned but ruled, and was of royal lineage. However, the lack of preparation )among other things) caused him to fail rather miserably. I know that William will not rule, but that doesn't mean he doesn't need some sort of prep. I think he'll do a great job, because ha had the benefit of watching his grandmother on the job, and (I believe) is on the Privy Council, so there's the training in the state matters (he probably learned about the Constitution and the workings of government while at Eton/St. Andrew's [if the latter required all students, regardless of program to take classes in government/economics]). He also strikes me as someone who cares about others, and that quality is paramount for anyone who has a leadership role. When the time is right, he'll do his nation very, very proud.
William is not on the Privy Council. He is by law a Counsellor of State but how many times his grandmother has appointed him to cover her duties when she is abroad, I don't know.

William's degree at St Andrews (both Art History and Geography) does not require students to take economics or government at university level so it is unlikely that he took those subjects. As he did not take economics or government for GCSE or A-levels either, his last school study in them was around age 14-15 or so. British posters may correct me on that. However, as you stated, he has watched his grandmother and thus has an appropriate teacher for years to come.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 7,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
William is not on the Privy Council. He is by law a Counsellor of State but how many times his grandmother has appointed him to cover her duties when she is abroad, I don't know.

William's degree at St Andrews (both Art History and Geography) does not require students to take economics or government at university level so it is unlikely that he took those subjects. As he did not take economics or government for GCSE or A-levels either, his last school study in them was around age 14-15 or so. British posters may correct me on that. However, as you stated, he has watched his grandmother and thus has an appropriate teacher for years to come.
Thank you for the corrections. I have no clue as to why I thought he was on the Privy Council.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,318
Well William is the eldest son of the Queen's heir,his father prince Charles.
Grandma is Queen of Great Britain
Dad is the next king of England
He of course has had some sort of princely training and as second in line to the throne has had a talk with his grandmother and father what responsibility he will have as king in case(god forbid) the Queen dies or his dad died. Of course he is suitable he will be a liked king and Kate will be as well:)
__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
There is a HUGE difference between an autocracy and a constitutional monarchy. NICHOLAS II was badly prepared for his role by both his parents, he was also raised to not have his opinions and ideas questioned by his teachers. He also did not have the benefit of watching his father work and reign and rule. To be an autocrat I assume you need a good education as well as the time to learn from your predecessor, Alexander just wrote his son off and didn't bother to teach him what being a Tsar was about.
Going back to England, William and Charles are probably better "educated" than the Queen at least when it comes to formal education. Elizabeth was trained as best as she could be by her father and from what I have heard she has not only been preparing Charles but William as well.
There have been monarchs with great education who have failed miserably, and there have been others who had abysmal education who ended up doing a good job (crazy thing is that its the same with Presidents as well). With a constitutional monarchy, I believe the best thing a future monarch can do is watch and learn; again its not like William is going to be the one making the important decisions.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 322
Well, I don't think being King as a walk-in-the-park. It does take some work and there are things they do outside of the public eye that are of importance. The Queen doesn't just meet with the Prime Minister, for example, just to talk about the weather. They do have certain roles and duties. Besides people write to her all the time. The are very important things they do even with their patronages and sometimes they are the voice of reason or the comfort people need. We can't just write them off as useless because the royals are not useless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 768
I think we need to make the distinction between "suitability" and "eligiblity". William is certainly eligible by virtue of his birth. I happen to also believe, given what we have seen of his behavior, that he is also suitable to be King.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I think we need to make the distinction between "suitability" and "eligiblity". William is certainly eligible by virtue of his birth. I happen to also believe, given what we have seen of his behavior, that he is also suitable to be King.
Given what we've seen of his behavior when he has done royal duties, in his travels representing his grandmother (Canada, Australia and New Zealand) and observing his demeanor no matter where he goes (even out with the boys for an evening), he will not only be a suitable king, but a very hands on one I think too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 322
I wholeheartedly agree!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince of Wales - Title, Succession, and Wales Jo of Palatine British Royals 88 01-01-2014 08:59 AM
HSH Prince Hans-Adam II (1945- ) and HSH Princess Marie (1940- ) Mandy Princely Family of Liechtenstein 106 11-24-2013 02:15 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Canada - June 30 to July 8, 2011 Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 918 12-10-2012 06:12 PM
Official visit of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall: April 4-6, 2011 shrifia Royal Family of Morocco 54 12-07-2011 09:33 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]