The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
William won't be - he will by flying the helicopter while someone else climbs down the rope. . . . .
It takes considerable skill to hover over a cliff or in mountainous country and keep the helicopter steady so that the crewman on the winch is not swung about into the cliffside. That crewman knows his life is in the hands of the pilot and has to rely on his skill to keep straight and level and not allow the helicopter or the crewman to swung around by updrafts which are a real hazard in their line of work.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
It's commendable that William wants to join his comrades on the Falklands mission. I hope they allow him to do his job the way he wants to.
I'm glad he has another dream fulfilled...but, what does the new desire (Falklands service) mean for Kate? I guess she'll wait!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Prince William takes part in first RAF air-sea rescue mission - Telegraph

Prince William has undertaken his first air-sea rescue mission with the RAF in an offshore operation off Cumbria to help a stricken oil-rig worker.

The Prince was co-pilot of a four-man crew aboard an RAF Sea King helicopter that was scrambled to an offshore oil rig in Morecambe Bay at 2.11pm.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Video of the mission
Royal hero Wills' chopper rescue | The Sun |News|Royals
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince William scrambled for first mission as RAF search and rescue pilot | Mail Online

Quote:
It was the moment nearly two years of gruelling training paid off.

When a gas rig worker suffered a heart attack and colleagues radioed for help, Prince William was sent to the rescue.

Within minutes of receiving the appeal, he and his fellow RAF helicopter crew were airborne and heading out across Morecambe Bay.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Oh I bet he felt so good after completing his first mission! There is a certain feeling of well being knowing that you've contributed to saving a person's life. In the case of a cardiac arrest the time between onset and receiving medical attention is very very crucial and happily it looks like this mission was a success. I'm sure there will be missions that don't go as smoothly as this one seemed to but that's what they're trained for.

Personally I'm heartened to see the path that William is taking on a humanitarian aspect with both his work with SAR and Centrepoint these past few days.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it's great that he can do something do worthwhile with his Forces training. Working in life-saving is a very high calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh I bet he felt so good after completing his first mission! There is a certain feeling of well being knowing that you've contributed to saving a person's life.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, it's great that he can do something do worthwhile with his Forces training. Working in life-saving is a very high calling.
Quite right. We now just have to wait for the usual suspects to moan about the cost of his training and how British taxpayers are not getting their money's worth.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

And I'm sure they will! I think it's fantastic what William is doing. It's wonderful to see all his training pay off and for him to put it to good use. I wish him the best with his new job.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right. We now just have to wait for the usual suspects to moan about the cost of his training and how British taxpayers are not getting their money's worth.
What annoyed me was reading the article online about the mission Wills flew. there was a box saying if ANYONE knows who the person was that was rescued... give us a call. Do they want to talk to the paramedic that treated him? Do they want to cover the how the mission went? Naw.. I bet they want to get in the guy's face that was rescued and ask him how it felt to be rescued by a future King. Bad move I thinks.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

when all else fails and you can't sleep... :0)

actually went through and read this. its interesting if you want to know

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP999.pdf
Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Gas rig worker saved by Prince William thanks royal for helicopter rescue | Mail Online

Prince William: Let me serve in Afghanistan - Sky One Documentary
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ghanistan.html
Old 10-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Part of me is overjoyed that William can finally carry out the training he has been given. But there is a part of me who feels sorry for all the other men and woman who do the same job as William but don't get such national recognition for what they do. I know William is getting all the stories in the paper because he is a Prince, and maybe he wished he didn't get them.
But isn't every rescue worker a Prince to those who they rescue?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Prince William: 'Let me serve in Afghanistan' - Telegraph

Prince William, who is serving as a search-and-rescue helicopter pilot, wants to be allowed to join British troops in Afghanistan.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Heir Apparent

^Thanks for posting that article here too wasn't sure where to post it so I posted it in the " William, Harry and the press" thread. The quote comes from the upcoming Sky One documentary. Shame I won't be able to see it as usual hopefully it's put up later on youtube or something...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson

Prince William, who is serving as a search-and-rescue helicopter pilot, wants to be allowed to join British troops in Afghanistan.
Is that allowed? Him being the heir to the heir and all that plus imagine if he were somehow captured- I feel for him though that he might not be able to fight with his commrades .....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Is that allowed? Him being the heir to the heir and all that plus imagine if he were somehow captured- I feel for him though that he might not be able to fight with his commrades .....
More than likely he won't be allowed to fight, but he should be because he has been allowed to gain military training for no other reason than for him to do something.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

I don't believe for a moment that this will be allowed.

William would attract even more fire onto any british soldier, in the vain hope that it might be William. There would be so many resources allocated to protect him, that it will seriously influence the work the soldiers are doing.

Not to mention that he is about to get married. - And eventually produce more heirs for the throne.
That's too important for him to be allowed to serve in Afghanistan.

He is high profile target as it is, no need to transport him even closer to people armed with guns and bombs, is there?

I don't see the problem. Serving in the air rescue is a very commendable and valuable contribution to his country. He doesn't have to go to Afghanistan to prove anything.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Then he shouldn't have been allowed to do military training in the first place.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Then he shouldn't have been allowed to do military training in the first place.
He will need some affilliation with the armed forces.

I'm not 100 % certain of the British constitution, but isn't the monarch also the commander in chief?
As such it makes perfect sense for him to complete military service. That doesn't have to include frontline service. - Not least in our day and age where the combat troops constitute a minority within the military.