Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can also say with certainty that the same servicemen would not respect William less for not going to Afghanistan.

Nice to see you around, Camelot23ca :flowers:

Yes, I think if nothing else people who are actually part of the forces recognize that having the future king in a war zone would increase the risk for everyone. Also they'd be more aware of the various non-combat jobs and roles available within the organization.
(Yes, hello Muhler, fancy seeing you here! :) )

The Cameron/Clegg government in the UK are planning to privatise SAR helicopters, so the issue won't be an issue for much longer !!

What a sad and horrible thing to have happened. My heart goes out to that family. :eek:(

Same here, very sad for a young mom to die in childbirth.

William will be able to complete his three years service in SAR before the privitization effects it.

Same here, very sad for a young mom to die in childbirth.

William will be able to complete his three years service in SAR before the privitization effects it.

Do you happen to know when it will end exactly? I heard 2013, but in which month?

That's very sad. I suppose it comes with the job tho.

I recently had to take some students to the air ambulance here and they do the same job. They told me that they lose about 1 in 20 rescues and the statistics are about 1 in 15 others are so badly injured that they can never return to their previous lifestyle. I comes with the territory and they are trained to handle it - with those who can't being failed before getting through the course.

I recently had to take some students to the air ambulance here and they do the same job. They told me that they lose about 1 in 20 rescues and the statistics are about 1 in 15 others are so badly injured that they can never return to their previous lifestyle. I comes with the territory and they are trained to handle it - with those who can't being failed before getting through the course.

Losing a patient is something that one never gets used to. Most times too in situations like what William went through, there is mandatory debriefing and always professional help available to cope with these types of situations. Makes me realize just how much William is putting on the line in service to his people and it really makes me respect him all the more.

Losing a patient is something that one never gets used to. Most times too in situations like what William went through, there is mandatory debriefing and always professional help available to cope with these types of situations. Makes me realize just how much William is putting on the line in service to his people and it really makes me respect him all the more.

I didn't mean to suggest that there wasn't help available once qualified but only that those who can't handle the simulated situations in training don't get through as they won't be able to handle the real situations either.

The other thing we were told there was that about 1/6 personnel resign after about 3 years as it is too harrowing and they often suffer post traumatic stress breakdowns years later - fine while they were doing the work but the stress gets to them and they have depression and other issues later in life.

I didn't mean to suggest that there wasn't help available once qualified but only that those who can't handle the simulated situations in training don't get through as they won't be able to handle the real situations either.

The other thing we were told there was that about 1/6 personnel resign after about 3 years as it is too harrowing and they often suffer post traumatic stress breakdowns years later - fine while they were doing the work but the stress gets to them and they have depression and other issues later in life.

There is really no kind of training that will ever prepare one to go through the actual situation where a death occurs on a run. My husband worked as a professional and volunteer EMT for years and I can attest to the stress factor. We had an incident where a truck went off our mountain road resulting in the loss of one of our neighbor's children. My husband was the first on scene and it hit him pretty bad. He went into counseling immediately following the incident and it took a few months to cope.

This is what really bothers me I think when I read stuff about William just doing "stints" in the service alluding to that he's only doing it as in the future he will be Commander in Chief (or whatever the term is) of the armed forces when he becomes King. Most people that are dedicated to this line of work such as William is, are not doing it for the glory and recognition or the thrill of it all such as ambulances, helicopters and fire trucks but are genuinely there to preserve lives. William himself has stated how rewarding he finds his job to be.

I do have to admit though while sitting in a fire hall and the tones go off signaling an emergency, looking at the faces of the men heading out on the call, they do remind me of big boys playing with big toys. :D

Watching the extensive coverage on the news channels here about the catastrophe in Japan, I happened to noticed that Britain is sending over some SAR crews to help. It made me wonder whether or not William's crew would be one selected to go and help out. If so, I really doubt we'd hear anything about it until after the fact as I imagine they would want to keep something like this very low key.

Anyways.. was just a thought.

Watching the extensive coverage on the news channels here about the catastrophe in Japan, I happened to noticed that Britain is sending over some SAR crews to help. It made me wonder whether or not William's crew would be one selected to go and help out. If so, I really doubt we'd hear anything about it until after the fact as I imagine they would want to keep something like this very low key.

Anyways.. was just a thought.

I would hope not because I feel the press would find out and spend all their time breathlessly covering him and not the crisis. Also I would imagine they would send more experienced teams/people.

Ya I don't mind this one bit. He'll have enough time in the future to catch up so why not let him and Catherine enjoy married life and stay in Wales and let him do his thing.Tbh if the Queen didn't become Queen so early in life I'm sure she and Philip would have stayed on the down low much longer as well.

Last edited:
Ya I don't mind this one bit. He'll have enough time in the future to catch up so why not let him and Catherine enjoy married life and stay in Wales and let him do his thing.Tbh if the Queen didn't become Queen so early in life I'm sure she and Philip would have stayed on the down low much longer as well.

I don't doubt it. I've read that she enjoyed those years she spent with Philip as a navy wife in Malta.

I have always expected for William to try to live as normal a life as possible for as long as he reasonably could. I'm sure that what makes him happy. So if this article is true, it does not surprise me at all. It is good to see that the Queen & Charles support that. They know first-hand what it is like and probably see no pressing need for William to be a full-time royal just yet.

I'm glad they didn't stop him from going for fear of upsetting the Argentinians.

BBC-Argentina condemns Prince William Falklands posting

"The Duke of Cambridge's posting to the Falkland Islands has been condemned by Argentina as a 'provocative act'.
Britain says Prince William's deployment for training as a helicopter rescue pilot is routine."

Well it was expected, Argentina isn't happy but they really (EDIT: shouldn't) use William in their portrayal of Britain deploying there as a provocative act

Last edited:
^^^^
Not exactly shocking and I am sure the government knew this was coming. Argentina does not agree with the British position that any change in sovereignty must be left up to the people of The Falklands.

This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.

This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.

I agree. It's very distasteful and a bit disrespectful to the family members of those involved, as there biggest concern is their family member, however the media are only interested because Prince William is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom