The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Courtier

BBC News - Prince William starts RAF rescue training on Anglesey?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like that picture from the article of Prince William's RAF flight graduation this month. Prince Charles looks so proud of his son.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Prince William in staged air crash - Telegraph

Prince William escaped from the scene of an aircraft which crashed under water - in a staged accident as part of his training as a search and rescue pilot.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that this kind of training would be stressful enough, although certainly not as nerve-wracking as the real thing.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

It does sound scarey! They said he "passed with flying colours" so he must have done really well.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Prince William will serve with RAF in Ulster

Prince William has been cleared to serve with the RAF in Northern Ireland despite an upsurge in dissident republican violence in the province.

The future King, in the final stages of his training to be an RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot, will become the first member of the Royal Family to serve with the forces in Ulster since the Troubles began more than 40 years ago.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

After reading the article, I think that it's a misleading headline. The idea is that William might possibly have to work in Northern Ireland because he could be called to go anywhere in the UK with search and rescue. It's not like he's been posted there. Makes a great headline, though!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Prince William has been cleared to serve with the RAF anywhere in the UK, including Northern Ireland province Ulster, it has been reported.
Prince William could serve with RAF in Ulster after being cleared to serve 'anywhere in the UK' | Mail Online
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It would come neatly after William's Royal Air Force career transitions in January 2011, when he leaves the RAF helicopter school at Shawbury and becomes an operational pilot ready for a three-year search-and-rescue tour of duty.
In this article it states William will be finished with RAF training in January 2011, however it was my understanding that he graduates in the fall of this year?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this quote is from the Tina Brown story. I would take what she said with a grain of salt.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok thnx cd255. Yeah I had my doubts about the story too.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Prince William to be posted to RAF base on Anglesey - Telegraph

Prince William is to be posted as an RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot in north Wales for up to three years, it has been announced.

The Prince, a flight lieutenant, will stay on at RAF Valley on Anglesey, where he has been learning to fly Sea King helicopters, if he passes his training in September, the Ministry of Defence confirmed.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Prince William to be stationed at RAF base nicknamed Death Star | The Sun |News|Royals

Prince William will spend two months stationed on a Falklands RAF base - nicknamed Death Star.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

Does that mean Prince William will be on the Falklands RAF base until Nov? Does anyone know where the prince is stationed for the next 3 years?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Majesty

I read it that he will finish his training in November and then will be stationed at Anglessy for his 30 - 36 month actual deployment in the SAR but during that time, like everyone else in his squadron he will be rotated to serve in the Falklands - so sometime from 2011 - 2013 he will be there but not for long - 2 months. He might, of course, do a second rotation if necessary but this will cause trouble with Argentina who still claim the islands as theirs.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I took it to mean he would graduate from training in September and then do two months in the Falklands. Then be deployed in Wales for 3 years.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Prince William to be stationed at RAF base nicknamed Death Star | The Sun |News|Royals

Prince William will spend two months stationed on a Falklands RAF base - nicknamed Death Star.
Thanks wbenson. Sounds like such an isolated place. Even the name sounds daunting - Death Star.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
I took it to mean he would graduate from training in September and then do two months in the Falklands. Then be deployed in Wales for 3 years.
I suppose you could get that idea but I don't think they would send an untried brand new pilot to that base until they have given him some on the job experience.

I don't think he will be posted anywhere until November. That is what I have read elsewhere - finish training in September, and then be deployed to Anglessy and then at some time in the next 3 years be posted to the Falklands for 2 months in the normal course of rotations for that squadron. I would expect that those who will be posted there from September to November have known for some time and are preparing for that deployment and I would expect more experienced SAR pilots to be the ones there rather than brand new pilots with no experience.

The article simply says that he will finish his conversion course in September and then will join his squadron. I really didn't read it that he would immediately be sent to the Falklands.

All the reports are saying is that at some stage during his 3 years with the SAR he will probably serve in the Falklands.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince William sent on first real-life emergency mission as climber dies

Quote:
Sadly, the 27-year-old Prince’s first taste of a real-life rescue attempt involving the RAF Search and Rescue force, ended in tragedy. The climber, who was suffering from severe head injuries after falling down a mountainside, died.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Heir Apparent

That's a hard first experience, a victim with head injuries who dies.