The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy

Has anyone thought that during this transitional period, William plans to look at a variety of options -

He may want to do more with his time and his life than cutting ribbons and dedicating portraits. There are plenty of royals available for these jobs.

But unless the Duke and Duchess' schedule mirrors that of Princess Anne - they will be call lazy, moochers, by plenty of people.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Courtier

Well said Lady Gabrielle. The Cambridge's time in Wales is like the queen and Philip's Malta time.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Majesty

It think there's more to royal duties than just cutting ribbons. I think the idea is for them to step up their game by attending and being part of the "firm" in a more visible and interactive way. The older royals have done a brilliant job in their royal roles over the years but now I just think it's time to inject the younger royals into the inner workings of the Monarchy.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Gentry

I think it's exceptionally awesome that William has decided to do even more for wildlife in Africa. Kate's first even after George's birth was to go to the Tusk Awards, after all. I see it kind of like they're looking out for their son's future and are looking after his inheritance. Many people think of these things like in terms of money, property, etc., but Will and Kate are thinking more. I mean, even if someone were to inherit all the wealth in the world, what good is it in a world destroyed by waste and pollution? What better inheritance can one possibly leave to future generations than a world that is cleaner and greener than before? What would be most awesome than them being able to see Africa's Big Five in their natural habitat?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe View Post
Called lazy by the usual subjects on this forum and by the trolls over at the DM but the public at large support their approach to the monarchy and royal duties. William and Catherine are the two most popular members of the BRF so they must be doing something right in the eyes of the British people.
Perhaps their vision of duty will more closely resemble that of some of the European royals- highly visible involvement in international organizations for example- rather than the current pattern of touring hospitals, accepting bouquets, chatting with pensioners, etc.

William and Catherine may be 15 or 20 years away from being in the position C&C are now in. William might have a considerably different view of what constitutes royal duties than his father and grandmother do.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

William will take up part-time royal duties and will do charity work. He has done very well in his military career.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Nobility

I suppose that I am not clear on what Royal duties are.
There is the Queen, she opens parliament, invests people, reads stuff from the red boxes and talks w/ the prime minister. Is she technically required to do anything else?
Then there are the figurehead type functions - state dinners, ribbon cutting, jumping out of helicopters for the Olympics, trooping of the guard type things.
Then there is the role the Royal Family has fashioned for themselves, to support non political good causes (charities or British industry.) Some of these are 'Official' charity associations whereas others appear to be non official non royal associations (eg: Beatrice and Eugenie's voluntary associations w/ various charities.)
From my perspective, the Queen has her role, and intends to do her duty as long as she is able. Charles has been waiting his whole life to step in when called and rather than lead a dissolute lifestyle as some former POWs did, he served in the military and then fashioned a meaningful existence for himself around things he was passionate about. William's true passion seems to be conservation, something his father appears to understand (and presumably his grandmother does as well.) The focus should be on the Queen, then on Charles, William would not wish to usurp their roles, thus he has a very delicate balancing act to perform.
I was struck by the impact William can have when I saw this a.m. that the US midmorning news covered the Tusk event last night - when William speaks, an international audience listens and that will remain true unless he speaks too often, in which case we'll lose interest.
He has served in the military and now wants exposure to non military aspects of government and more exposure to charitable causes he supports, as well as learning to be CEO of his future Duchy of Cornwall, to me it seems like he wants to increase his understanding of all aspects of the country he will one day be King of, and since he has lots of time before his time as King comes - I see that as a good thing. It sounds like he is searching for something more meaningful and well rounded than just re-upping in the military - but perhaps my take on it is overly pollyanish.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Your a big fan of Harry though, of excuse me "Henry". In real world actions what does "Henry" do that warrants your approval and what does William do that you dismiss him as lazy?
Please don't stoop so low you criticise me for calling a person by his actual name. I'm not sure when I said I was ever a big fan of Henry, Henry was never mentioned nor does it match the topic in question. I have more respect for Henry because of his actions, I neither like nor dislike nor am I particularly a fan of his per se. I am a realist on this forum, I say it as I see it and a lot of people appreciate my honesty. If you have issue that's fine :)
Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Thats my question, what does Harry do? If William is lazy then Harry by the same definition must be lazy.
Take a look at his current events thread, take a looks at his charities and patronages, take a look at the interviews he did when he was in ad returned from Afghanistan. Before you jump down my throat, yes William "can't" go, but Henry did so I'm not going to hold it against him for being brave enough to go to war.

Again, you're off topic and this discussion is getting boring. :)
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
@Osipi. But they can almost certainly ensure, care of their well-paid spin-doctors, that the general UK populace does not rebel. Happily, such is not the case in some of the Realm countries.
Most people who live in a constitutional monarchy, and who know what they are talking about, understand that succession is based on laws and not on fashion or popularity contests.....but what the heck, why don't you look into your crystal ball and tell us all which realms will rise up with rebellion in the streets upon the succession of Charles III and Queen Camilla? Should we be taking out extra insurance for molotov cocktail damage?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Majesty

The Queen is the only royal with a constitutional role.

The rest of them could do absolutely nothing and still be royal but...

after World War I George V decided that the royal family needed to connect more with the people to remain relevant and popular. Since then all members have been expected to work with charities and so the royals are judged by their charity work as much as anything.

William has had years to determine his interests and all we know is he is interested in some animals in Africa. I would hope that he would take an interest in conserving endangered species in Britain - nice to save the rhinos but surely it would be nice for George to see a hedgehog in the wild as well and they are also endangered.

As for whether or not William and Kate will attend state dinners etc - that isn't up to them but The Queen who would have to formally invite them to attend. Regardless of their availability if she doesn't want them there they won't be there.

As of 12th September 2013 William has done 27 engagements and Kate 30 for 2013. The reason why I am noting these figures is so that we have a base to see what number of royal engagements they do over the next 12 months. So we have a base figure. Harry, is spent time in Afghanistan, and has been serving in the army all year as well has 43 but he has had an overseas tour in there as well this year.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Thats my question, what does Harry do? If William is lazy then Harry by the same definition must be lazy.
I'm not sure why William is called the lazy one, while Harry is praised. Harry does about the same amount of engagements as William - maybe a little less. In fact, I think this is the only year where Harry has actually done more engagements than William.

IMO, I don't think either is lazy. Both have/had full-time military duties while taking on royal engagements. It's not like they were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.

Further, Williams so-called press officer/s are paid by the POW, and I doubt that he/she/they are truly independent; almost certainly, his/their press releases are vetted by the spin doctors who pay their salaries. JMO.
A note:

The Queen has NO say over who will succeed her. That decision was made on 14th November, 1948 when she gave birth to a boy.

If Charles survives his mother he will automatically be King.

Parliament could pass legislation to stop it but why would they?

To suggest that William would want to succeed The Queen implies that William wants to hurt his father very, very deeply. What sort of son would be that cruel - and is that sort of person, William? Is William that nasty?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I did look at the current events thread, the charities thread and sure enough William performs more engagements than Harry. William is patron of more charities than Harry. William goes on more overseas tours than Harry and William's job as a SAR pilot is more dangerous than Harry flying an Apache. Harry said in his interview, he has the safest job in the army. Not one Apache has ever been lost to enemy action in 10 years in Afghanistan. Nothing like not wanting the facts to confuse the issue though.
William should do more than Harry. William is in the direct line, Harry is not.

However, this year so far Harry has actually done more than William. It will be interesting to see who does more next year - William, who will no longer be employed, or Harry.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
We haven't had 2 adult heir for over 100 years. William isn't king or prince of wales. Let him find his own way to help.
This is a very good point and very interesting.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Majesty

This year Harry has done more than William only because Harry went to USA and Lesotho officially and racked up 24 of his 43 duties or 55.8% of his engagements have come in about 7 days while overseas officially. Take off those overseas tours and he has done about the same as William.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Courtier

is it any wonder he delayed the announcement of his intentions? I am sure that was a very carefully worded press release which essentially said nothing except that he has finished his time in the military and he is carving out a new role... and look at all of the interpretations in the first 24 hrs.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
is it any wonder he delayed the announcement of his intentions? I am sure that was a very carefully worded press release which essentially said nothing except that he has finished his time in the military and he is carving out a new role... and look at all of the interpretations in the first 24 hrs.
There have been a lot of interpretations with a wide range of thoughts and ideas and to be honest, none of us know what lies in the future.

One thing I don't think we should be doing is pitting William against Harry as far as to who does the most duties and engagements. As was pointed out, 55% of Harry's occurred during a short period of time during an overseas trip. I think the main focus in the future is going to be The Dynamic Trio (William, Kate and Harry) working as a team with the Royal Foundation but each will have their own separate areas of focus also. No one is more important than the other at this stage of the game.

My guess is that William may seek out internships to, in a nutshell, enable him to be competent at the top level of managing organizations. Call it CEO and Administrative Services 101 if you will. As more and more of the organizations that they're patronizing and working with network are on an global scale, there is going to be much more to what they do than in the past where a royal lent their name to a cause and did the proverbial ribbon cutting, smiling and waving and posing for photo ops. These three from what we have already seen, are walking the walk (pun intended thinking about Harry's trek to the South Pole) along with talking the talk.

Of course this is just my opinions, guesses and ramblings but its how I see it.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
This is a very good point and very interesting.
I agree. There are also the three plus a daughter-in-law adult children of HM and the DoE in addition to the PoW and DoC to consider. IMVHO HM appears to favor keeping them on as her full time representatives as well. The senior royals will call William, Kate and Harry up to the "major leagues" when they're ready.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Courtier

If you will recall, when Charles was young he had to figure out how to make himself useful to the country until it was his turn to be King. He knew it would be many years. That is the position William is in now. It will be probably 25+ years before he gets there. His choice of public service until then is very important. Besides the Foundation, he also does work with Centerpointe and others. I think he is working to preserve the sports/playing fields for the children. It would be very interesting to know exactly what is being done, but we won't know unless it makes the news. I hope he chooses well.