The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Majesty

Oh dear, what a way to end a relatively productive military career . . . all the positive swept away by the very bad handling of KP. Instead of Prince William, the Rescue Pilot and occasional Royal Bash we get the occasional royal bash and a blather fest trying to obfuscate his future plans . . . if any.

Into this, I am sure unintentional, vacuum, we get a microscope suddenly zoomed in on William and Catherine. She will get some slack because she is a new mother and, regardless of the fact that she does not have to work, a certain amount is expected. Now William is different altogether. Instead of gracefully winding down his Military service and stepping up his Royal duties . . . he's taking a Gap Year? What is that pray tell. Is he going to be a house husband, play polo, or just try to throw dust in our eyes.

To be honest, I could actually respect him if he announced he was going to do exactly that . . . take time to be a family and enjoy a freedom that will never come again. Whilst not admirable it is not despicable either. But instead we get an adolescent Gap Year. I thought he'd already had one!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I have to say I was surprises but maybe we should have expected that... It's a fact the Queen is slowing her duties a bit and Charles and William anre taking on more duties. I think it is right... after all Charles is the next king and William the king after. At the age of 31 he is young and mature enought to start the career as a "full royal".
Anyway I think he must feel sad for leaving RAF. However, inevitable

Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Commoner

@Marg. Take heart. What we are all reading now is Clarence House/backed by Buck House spin, in order to ensure that the masses understand that Charles is the better man--better than William. Never mind that we all know that Charles is a self-confessed adulterer--hard to get that crass, I know. And Charles is also oh-so-smart--until you compare his academic record to Williams. Nor should we forget that Williams press officer is in Charles pay.

But never mind. Charles is wonderful and his son-and-heir is just a lazy Spencer upstart.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
@Marg. Take heart. What we are all reading now is Clarence House/backed by Buck House spin, in order to ensure that the masses understand that Charles is the better man--better than William. Never mind that we all know that Charles is a self-confessed adulterer--hard to get that crass, I know. And Charles is also oh-so-smart--until you compare his academic record to Williams. Nor should we forget that Williams press officer is in Charles pay.

But never mind. Charles is wonderful and his son-and-heir is just a lazy Spencer upstart.
The masses don't need to understand anything, but I think you do.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Empress Jo, there are appropriate forums around here for you to discuss your feelings about the Prince of Wales, but the thread about Prince Williams's service is not one of them
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post

You really don't have any clue who Charles and William are do you? I think if you take time and really peruse the wealth of information to be found in the different threads for the POW and William, you just might see the "real" people and what their accomplishments and goals are.

Its sad that you're basing just about everything you write on either William and/or Charles focuses on dredging up the ancient bones of time long gone by.
This forum is for sharing opinions and discussion and to be honest, I think your name calling and flaming of members of the royal family is appalling.

OH.. just to clarify, Clarence House PR is for the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Kensington Palace is the base for William, Kate and Harry's staff. They are both separate entities and I'm sure they have many more important things to do than any kind of internal "my dog is better than your dog" kind of nonsense.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.
Do you know more about the Duke's plans for the transitional year ahead than might be in the public domain, or is this just another value judgement based on conjecture?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I suppose the announcement can be interpreted in many ways and I do have to agree that using the term "gap year" is kind of misleading. They do mention that he will spend the year trying to figure out just what in public service or charities he'll be working in.

For all we know, he could be looking into interning somewhere to get CEO experience at handling the top dog job with an international foundation, eventually perhaps heading the Prince's Trust even. I'd much rather see William do something like this and be prepared in the future to fully step into whatever he does rather than just fill up his date book, wave at the crowds and pose for photo ops.

I don't see this as just lazing about for a year and doing a few engagements here and there but rather as a trial and error testing period to find out just where his strengths and weaknesses might be.

Then again, he could become an expert on children's shows staying home watching TV with George and play video games. Whatever he will be doing, I have to believe that he has the support of all of his family and if its OK by them, its OK by me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer has a good article in the express about William's plans. It mentions that William will do some investitures for the queen like his dad and aunt does. Also he is going to learn about the duchy of Cornwall and spend more time with the work of the royal foundation. It also mentions that he might take a public sector job with the govt such as in the foreign office or mod. for a couple of years.

We haven't had 2 adult heir for over 100 years. William isn't king or prince of wales. Let him find his own way to help. A lot of royals work is done behind the scenes meeting people and bringing people together. Look at announcement yesterday about William bringing several charities together with the royal foundation to help increase awareness about poaching.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

From what I have read, William will be doing stepping up is royal duties and his charity work with the support of Catherine. His royal duties will now include Investitures on behalf of The Queen. Up to now, only The Queen, Charles and Anne performed this task. I'm guessing William & Catherine will attend some of the very important royal events like State Banquets and the reception for the Diplomatic Corps.

I think we'll see Catherine step up her royal and charitable role.

I think the "transition" idea is just to give them some time to build up their royal and charitable roles. They won't be performing 400 to 500 official engagements over night. It took years for the other royals to build up their royal roles to what it is today. It takes time for it to happen.

I'm looking forward to seeing what roles and new charitable ventures the couple will embark on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
His royal duties will now include Investitures on behalf of The Queen. Up to now, only The Queen, Charles and Anne performed this task.
Actually he won't, the investiture comment came from the Daily Mail with no reliable source. There was nothing stopping William nor Catherine attending state banquets when they had previously, they're annouced with enough time for William to take leave. He obviously chose not to.

From the official announcment Kensington Palace released it is apparent to me that William is going to keep "working" with his royal foundation and other charities, support his grandmother on occasion, and his future plans to "expand" will be released at a future time. Basically he's doing what he did before but with no "i'm working" excuse now.

We had a similar discussion like this a few days back and the thread was closed and numerous posts were deleted. Maybe we should get a new thread.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Actually he won't, the investiture comment came from the Daily Mail with no reliable source. There was nothing stopping William nor Catherine attending state banquets when they had previously, they're annouced with enough time for William to take leave. He obviously chose not to.

From the official announcment Kensington Palace released it is apparent to me that William is going to keep "working" with his royal foundation and other charities, support his grandmother on occasion, and his future plans to "expand" will be released at a future time. Basically he's doing what he did before but with no "i'm working" excuse now.

We had a similar discussion like this a few days back and the thread was closed and numerous posts were deleted. Maybe we should get a new thread.
Actually, royal reporter Richard Palmer has stated that William will start performing Investitures on behalf of The Queen for the first time-

Preparing to be King: Prince William says goodbye to RAF after more than seven years | UK | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Actually, royal reporter Richard Palmer has stated that William will start performing Investitures on behalf of The Queen for the first time-

Preparing to be King: Prince William says goodbye to RAF after more than seven years | UK | News | Daily Express
That means squat, he doesn't get his information from the palace. If you read the article, and then read the equivalent Daily Mail article you will discover they read the exact same with a few words changed.

Express =
He will be undertaking a wider variety of royal engagements, however, including a couple of investitures on behalf of the Queen for the first time.

DailyMail =
He will also start to work alongside the Queen and may even stand in for his grandmother at events such as investitures.

Express =
William, the Duke of Cambridge, also intends to spend time learning more about his father's hereditary landed estate, the Duchy of Cornwall, which he will one day inherit. He is then expected to undertake a two to three year role in public service, possibly working for a Government department such as the Foreign Office or in a civilian role in the Ministry of Defence.

DailyMail =
The 31-year-old will undertake a series of work experience-style placements in everything from government departments to charity offices.

Although an announcement about his future plans had long been anticipated because his tour of duty in Anglesey was always going to end this month, it had been widely assumed he would sign up for another two or three years in the military.

My bolding, I think someone at the Express has mis-read.

Express -
Instead he plans to spend the time he would have devoted to military duties on high-profile projects, including campaigning against poaching and the illegal trade in wildlife products, over the next 12 months in what Kensington Palace called "a transitional year".

DailyMail -
William also wishes to expand the work of his charitable foundation and develop a high-profile role in championing the conservation of endangered species. He will now embark on what aides describe as a transitional year-long programme of public service as he prepares to become a full-time working royal.

They copy each other.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think William just wanted to give Catherine some time to adjust to her royal life before she attended those big royal events. Well I think she's pretty well adjusted now and I think they should attend these events.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think William just wanted to give Catherine some time to adjust to her royal life before she attended those big royal events. Well I think she's pretty well adjusted now and I think they should attend these events.
I totally agree! I think Catherine and William should attend state banquets, they should accompany The Queen on state visits, they should visit other countries on their own, attend diplomatic corps reception, attend investitures etc. I want them to step up and I would love to see them more. I'm just saying when I read those articles and the statement from KP, it doesn't seem like they're going to. William and Catherine want to stay at home, with their child for as long as they possibly can and I have nothing against that. I just wish they would admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe View Post
I don't know how you can read the body of those articles and state he will be doing nothing more than he has in the last year. If the articles were negative you would probably support them since you're not a fan of either William or Kate. I'll take Richard Palmer's asssesssment over your slightly biased one.
I'm biased? Did you see what Richard Palmer wrote about how William wasted £400,000 of taxpayers money so that he could have a stint in the RAF? Richard Palmer gets none of his information from the palace, and he is not an official source of news. Neither in the DailyMail. The only statement we have is from Kensington Palace which says nothing about William taking part in investitures from his grandmother. You can believe the mis-information all you like.

Also- I'm not a fan of William and Catherine because to me at the minute, they're just lazy people doing just enough to satisfy their public. I'm sure i'd like them if I met them, but I never will because they're not out enough. I accepted when William was working, he couldn't perform royal duties all the time. But besides maternity leave, Catherine has never had an excuse now, nor does William.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

I really do think we will see them step up their royal duties and their charity work. They no longer have the military life to work around. William himself admitted in an interview last year or so that he found it hard to balance out his military life and official duties. Now he's out of the military and I think the main thing for them to do is increase their official duties and charitable workload.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.
So William for this next year will be doing the same number of royal engagements he did last year, but now he doesn't have the military job?

hmmm, seems he should increase them just a little now that he doesnt have to balance shift/flying hours.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
So William for this next year will be doing the same number of royal engagements he did last year, but now he doesn't have the military job?

hmmm, seems he should increase them just a little now that he doesnt have to balance shift/flying hours.
How do we know that? Just because some biased reporters or posters on TRF continue to push their anti-William and Catherine agenda does not make it true.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post

Well no one (but William and KP) knows how many royal engagements he'll be doing. The media and posters are just speculating. He could up his engagements or he could keep the number the same. No one knows.

I don't mind that he and Kate have decided not to be full-time royals right now, but I do think it's time for them to do a bit more. They don't have to take on 400+ engagements, but it would be nice to see them do about 250 or so engagements next year.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Serene Highness

I think the reason William and Catherine are looked at as lazy is because of the fact that they are not out in the spotlight like the other members of the BRF. Although they have not been as "out there " as the others, in that I mean showing face, they have in my opinion done an excellent job since the time of their engaement until now. We have had a chance to see them doing speeches, visiting different charities, going to different countries representing the Queen, and just being around the people(who constantly demand that they come over and shake hands or something). Catherine has done a good job,I think, of taking the initiative to get out there and take on speeches and visits without being begged or told to do so. I admire the fact that since marrying into this family and this life, she has done an excellent job of proving herself worthy of the job that is required of her. I think that the Queen and the BRF knew that in order for this young couple to succeed and feel comfortable in the journey that lay ahead for them, they needed to back off a bit and give them some space to enjoy their marriage and their new life together as a couple witnout the pressures of getting down to business right away. They did not want a repeat of the past and I believe they did a good job of cutting this couple some slack and stepping back a bit so that they could breathe. We all knew that at some point in their lives the privacy and the lack of duties would have to come to an end. That time is now. So all in all I give William and Catherine credit for what they have done in the 2 and a half years they have been known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and they have done it well. I for one await what is in store for them in the future now that we will be seeing more of them. State dinners and tiaras..... I cant wait. :)