The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Majesty

I have no doubt he will step up his official duties though.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I have no doubt he will step up his official duties though.
i don't. KP is making a very clear distinction between royal duties, charity work and public service. quote from The Times

However in a signal that William is once again determined to do things his way, Kensington Palace said he was not becoming a full-time working member of the Royal Family.

Instead, in a third way which has not been considered by most royal observers the Duke, 31, will do more charity and conservation work as well as royal duties. Tonight, accompanied by the Duchess, he will present inaugural conservation awards for the Tusk Trust, the African wildlife charity of which he is royal patron.

He will also be taking his time over the next year to consider what form of public service he wants to undertake.
END

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Majesty

I think more charity work does mean more official engagements though. We'll see how everything works out. I wish the royal couple luck.

Preparing to be King... Prince William says goodbye to RAF and leaves the armed forces-
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/428...e-armed-forces

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Aristocracy

Except for the fact that Prince William is in line to become King, he has the wealth (from his mother) to simply retire and spend his days playing with George. He has no financial need to ever work again.
But I just don't see the Palace and the media letting Prince William not take on royal duties after leaving the military. The Queen has lived a life of duty and probably does not see the need for his parents to focus all their time with Prince George. And the media needs lots of pictures and stories of the royal couple to sell their magazines.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Majesty

I agree. It's just time for them to step up their game.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree as well. I knew the last time that Prince Philip was in the hospital that something along these lines would happen. Although, I have to admit that I didn't expect him to leave the armed forces completely. This next year should be interesting. And just as a side note, I do like the way that William is very deliberate in his announcements, I think that he and Harry (and their staff) are more media savvy than I gave them credit for. They have definitely learned from others past mistakes.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe View Post
I think this is just William speak. He doesn't want to say "full-time" but basically he will be taking a major step up to what amounts to full-time duties. it will take a bit of time to find his niche but make no mistake we will see a lot more of the Cambridges in the coming year.
Yes, because I consider charitable work in any capacity a "royal duty" when it comes to this family, I mean, that's what they all do in some form or another. Let them call it what they will, I'm just thrilled that William is taking the next step in his life!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Nobility

I would imagine that William is sad to be leaving his military days behind him, but I'm glad he got to spend as much in the military as he did, as it's important work and seemed to really mean a lot to him. I am very excited to see how he and Kate transition into this next phase in their lives. I am particularly interested in seeing what they mean by the "public service" options he is looking at . . . the wording of it sounds as if that might be something different from typical royal duties? Hard to tell with these things sometimes.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

While William searches for his niche and will expand his involvement in charities he values - I do not see him spending his days opening hospitals wings, dedicating buildings, etc. Much like the standard royal engagement/duties. Also I suspect that much of Williams activities with his charities will be outside the media glare.

I also hope we all remember this when the report on the "hardest working royal" comes out and Williams and Catherine are more toward the bottom than Princess Anne's schedule
Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Courtier

I don't doubt for a minute HE (and his inner circle) know exactly what he is going to be doing - he is just not in a position to announce it yet. but I agree - we will be seeing more of the Cambridges in a public capacity.

I wonder if they will attend state dinners now?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I don't doubt for a minute HE (and his inner circle) know exactly what he is going to be doing - he is just not in a position to announce it yet. but I agree - we will be seeing more of the Cambridges in a public capacity.

I wonder if they will attend state dinners now?
I think it's possible now.

Prince William has left the RAF - but we're none the wiser on what the future holds for him:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-raf---2269111

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

Conservation and endangered species?

Will he be working to to save the giraffes?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Conservation and endangered species?

Will he be working to to save the giraffes?
But of course! Our giraffes are a most honored species and quite beautiful to look at.

Y'know, most parents love taking their children to the zoo. George's parents are working on having a healthy world wide zoo for all children to enjoy. I like that.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Commoner

IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.

Further, Williams so-called press officer/s are paid by the POW, and I doubt that he/she/they are truly independent; almost certainly, his/their press releases are vetted by the spin doctors who pay their salaries. JMO.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.
HM and Charles do not have to do anything to ensure he'll be king. The only thing that would prevent that is Charles' death.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Commoner

@Osipi. But they can almost certainly ensure, care of their well-paid spin-doctors, that the general UK populace does not rebel. Happily, such is not the case in some of the Realm countries.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He's taking a GAP year,
Prince William to take gap year: quits military but won't be increasing number of royal engagements | Mail Online
Old 09-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe View Post

Not a typical gap year. William will have his plate full over the next year until he is dubbed a full-time royal (whatever that is)
I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Commoner

@Lumutqueen. I disagree. IMO, it is in the best interests of the POW to have William perceived, in popular opinion, as lazy. After all, the formula worked, in Kates case.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
@Lumutqueen. I disagree. IMO, it is in the best interests of the POW to have William perceived, in popular opinion, as lazy. After all, the formula worked, in Kates case.
And why would it be in the best interests of Charles to make his son look bad? To stop the cries of "skip Charles, we want William"? They stopped years ago.