The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the RAF handles it but I would imagine during the times they are on station and on call, there's restrictions as far as alcohol consumption. Here in WV, in order to run emergency calls, its no drinking for at least 8 hours before responding to a call. With the 3-4 days off, it allows William to partake (such as at the stag this weekend) yet be withing regulation when he returns to the base.
Restrictions re flying are normally 48 hours.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Gentry

It appears to be generally assumed that William will leave the RAF and no longer be on active duty in the military. If, as he has said so frequently, he sincerely loves his job, why not stay in the RAF. Yes, he wants to be a hands on Dad but many fathers are on active duty. Many of his fellow crew members are probably parents. If they love Angelsy, why not stay there. They obviously have body guards who live with them there. What has changed since Kate gave birth. The queen has Charles, Andrew, Edward, and many others to take on some of her duties. And here's what I know will be an unpopular opinion....if she needs everyone else to take over various duties, then she should step down and let the others take over. I think Queen Beatrix had the right idea. But I know it will never happen in the U.K.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
It appears to be generally assumed that William will leave the RAF and no longer be on active duty in the military. If, as he has said so frequently, he sincerely loves his job, why not stay in the RAF. Yes, he wants to be a hands on Dad but many fathers are on active duty. Many of his fellow crew members are probably parents. If they love Angelsy, why not stay there. They obviously have body guards who live with them there. What has changed since Kate gave birth. The queen has Charles, Andrew, Edward, and many others to take on some of her duties. And here's what I know will be an unpopular opinion....if she needs everyone else to take over various duties, then she should step down and let the others take over. I think Queen Beatrix had the right idea. But I know it will never happen in the U.K.
The biggest change is that the SAR service has been privatised and will no longer be manned by the RAF.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
It appears to be generally assumed that William will leave the RAF and no longer be on active duty in the military. If, as he has said so frequently, he sincerely loves his job, why not stay in the RAF. Yes, he wants to be a hands on Dad but many fathers are on active duty. Many of his fellow crew members are probably parents. If they love Angelsy, why not stay there. They obviously have body guards who live with them there. What has changed since Kate gave birth.
There has been no public announcement (just speculation and conjecture)on the future of William's service in the armed forces, other than his comments today that his tour of duty at Anglesey will now be coming to an end.

As has been widely commented, he could take another SAR posting (though the SAR is being privatised), or he could return to the Army and take another "non-frontline" role. Alternatively, he may choose to leave the armed forces completely. The decision to increase his royal duties may be based on a desire to help the Queen manage her work-load, or purely by a desire to increase his own royal presence. Also, C&C already have a pretty full roster of commitments, and there are only so many more they can take on. Further, there may be "senior royal" commitments that HM may only want to pass down to future monarchs and their spouses, and not to any of her younger children.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Majesty

The older royal already have a great deal on their plates and pretty much maintain a busy schedule. It's time for William & Catherine to take on more royal duties.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The older royal already have a great deal on their plates and pretty much maintain a busy schedule. It's time for William & Catherine to take on more royal duties.
The older royals have give up somethings also. William could take over the management of Windsor and Sandringham farms from his grandfather but Philip has to let him do it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The older royals have give up somethings also. William could take over the management of Windsor and Sandringham farms from his grandfather but Philip has to let him do it.
They have estate managers doing that work.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Majesty

I think Skippyboo meant William could take on the role of Ranger of Windsor Great Park, which is a role now held by Prince Philip since 1952. I had heard a while back that Prince Philip would hand over that role to William at some point. It's a role that is only taken up by someone who's close to The Queen.

The older royals have taken on a great deal responsibility over the years and more was added when Princess Margaret & The Queen Mother passed away. Now with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh aging and slowing down a bit, it's just time for the younger royals to take on some bigger roles within the "Firm." They are the ones that the people look to now and William & Catherine and Harry has brung a lot of positive attention to this very old institution.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think Skippyboo meant William could take on the role of Ranger of Windsor Great Park, which is a role now held by Prince Philip since 1952. I had heard a while back that Prince Philip would hand over that role to William at some point. It's a role that is only taken up by someone who's close to The Queen.

The older royals have taken on a great deal responsibility over the years and more was added when Princess Margaret & The Queen Mother passed away. Now with The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh aging and slowing down a bit, it's just time for the younger royals to take on some bigger roles within the "Firm." They are the ones that the people look to now and William & Catherine and Harry has brung a lot of positive attention to this very old institution.
Are you sure that is what is meant. There is a massive difference between being Ranger of Windsor Great Park and managing the Home Farms.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 3m
We've just been told that an announcement on all the details about Prince William's career is to be made soon.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 3m
We've just been told that an announcement on all the details about Prince William's career is to be made soon.
Royal Central is making me laugh today! Soon was last year!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Majesty

The news here this morning is reporting that he has said he will be leaving Anglessey at the end of September in his speech in Wales today and that means some announcement about his future from October will have to be made in the next 6 weeks (so by the middle of my next school holidays we will know the next stage of William's llife). He also told some Aussies in the crowd that they hoped to tour Down Under next year as well.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Majesty

Yeah, I think we will get an official announcement soon.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 12h
We're told that this week will be Prince William's last week in the RAF and Anglesey.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Could be but I am sure the Royal Watchers on-site would have been speculating if they had seen any sign that the Cambridge's were moving house from Angelsey.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Could be but I am sure the Royal Watchers on-site would have been speculating if they had seen any sign that the Cambridge's were moving house from Angelsey.
We've known it was coming though. That's why their last engagements have been characterized as a way to say farewell and thank you to the residents of Angelsey for the hospitality they've experienced there.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Commoner

Oh boy, what a can of worms this is. Much as I would like William to continue with another SAR posting, perhaps at a base near Sandringham, where William and Kate have been given--and I use the term given loosely. Unless HMTQ has actually given them legal title/ownership of Anmer Hall, its just another rental property, akin to Apt.1A at Kensington Palace--I would like William to spend more time than he has of late with his wife and, now, child. Much as a posting with the Blues and Royals in London sounds like a better option, this particular branch of the army holds the unofficial title of the Booze and Royals. It tends to be cluttered with landed gentry and second sons of the nobility--the louche crowd, the Andrew Parker-Bowles sort. I don't think William would prefer this over a second posting to the RAF, nor do I think it would do much for his marriage.

So I vote, reluctantly, for a second, and last, posting to another RAF/SAR base, reasonably close to Kate and George. And I would hope that HMTQ and the POW would back off and permit William, Kate and George to become a real--a Royal first--family.

I would further hope that William would learn from this quandary and ensure a new template for George. Okay, maybe poor George will have to go to Sandhurst, but why on earth must he have a military career when so many other careers beckon.

Further to the last, its never too soon to set up a thread having to do with the education of George. I would, and I have a few ideas, but I don't know how--I am a computer idiot.

For those of you who may think it heresy that George would not have a career in the military, given that he may one day become Head of the Armed Forces, I would suggest that this requirement, in the eyes of the British public, may well have seen its day 20 years hence. IF the British monarchy is to survive, and I do think there is a legitimate IF, William must think outside the box.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
Addendum. I have no sympathy for the notion that William and Kate should be expected to pick up the slack for an ageing Queen and her even older Consort. Their ideas are passť. THEY are passť.
Personally, I think there's something timeless about the notion of duty and sacrifice, which is what the Queen has stood for her entire life, and I think when that is combined with a desire to actively do good in the world and to use your privilege to help people, there's a lot of value there.

I imagine that William and Kate will find their place, and so will George. And personally, I think they are preparing to take up full time royal duties, and that's why the career announcement has been such a long time coming.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Jo View Post
Addendum. I have no sympathy for the notion that William and Kate should be expected to pick up the slack for an ageing Queen and her even older Consort. Their ideas are passť. THEY are passť.
Personally, I think there's something timeless about the notion of duty and sacrifice, which is what the Queen has stood for her entire life, and I think when that is combined with a desire to actively do good in the world and to use your privilege to help people, there's a lot of value there.

I imagine that William and Kate will find their place, and so will George. And personally, I think they are preparing to take up full time royal duties, and that's why the career announcement has been such a long time coming.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Please note that off topic posts (i.e. William/Catherine's workload, George and his parent's involvement in his up bringing, etc) have been deleted.