Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His royal duties will now include Investitures on behalf of The Queen. Up to now, only The Queen, Charles and Anne performed this task.

Actually he won't, the investiture comment came from the Daily Mail with no reliable source. There was nothing stopping William nor Catherine attending state banquets when they had previously, they're annouced with enough time for William to take leave. He obviously chose not to.

From the official announcment Kensington Palace released it is apparent to me that William is going to keep "working" with his royal foundation and other charities, support his grandmother on occasion, and his future plans to "expand" will be released at a future time. Basically he's doing what he did before but with no "i'm working" excuse now.

We had a similar discussion like this a few days back and the thread was closed and numerous posts were deleted. Maybe we should get a new thread.

Actually he won't, the investiture comment came from the Daily Mail with no reliable source. There was nothing stopping William nor Catherine attending state banquets when they had previously, they're annouced with enough time for William to take leave. He obviously chose not to.

From the official announcment Kensington Palace released it is apparent to me that William is going to keep "working" with his royal foundation and other charities, support his grandmother on occasion, and his future plans to "expand" will be released at a future time. Basically he's doing what he did before but with no "i'm working" excuse now.

We had a similar discussion like this a few days back and the thread was closed and numerous posts were deleted. Maybe we should get a new thread.

Actually, royal reporter Richard Palmer has stated that William will start performing Investitures on behalf of The Queen for the first time-

Preparing to be King: Prince William says goodbye to RAF after more than seven years | UK | News | Daily Express

Actually, royal reporter Richard Palmer has stated that William will start performing Investitures on behalf of The Queen for the first time-

Preparing to be King: Prince William says goodbye to RAF after more than seven years | UK | News | Daily Express

That means squat, he doesn't get his information from the palace. If you read the article, and then read the equivalent Daily Mail article you will discover they read the exact same with a few words changed.

Express =
He will be undertaking a wider variety of royal engagements, however, including a couple of investitures on behalf of the Queen for the first time.

DailyMail =
He will also start to work alongside the Queen and may even stand in for his grandmother at events such as investitures.

Express =
William, the Duke of Cambridge, also intends to spend time learning more about his father's hereditary landed estate, the Duchy of Cornwall, which he will one day inherit. He is then expected to undertake a two to three year role in public service, possibly working for a Government department such as the Foreign Office or in a civilian role in the Ministry of Defence.

DailyMail =
The 31-year-old will undertake a series of work experience-style placements in everything from government departments to charity offices.

Although an announcement about his future plans had long been anticipated because his tour of duty in Anglesey was always going to end this month, it had been widely assumed he would sign up for another two or three years in the military.

My bolding, I think someone at the Express has mis-read. :lol:

Express -
Instead he plans to spend the time he would have devoted to military duties on high-profile projects, including campaigning against poaching and the illegal trade in wildlife products, over the next 12 months in what Kensington Palace called "a transitional year".

DailyMail -
William also wishes to expand the work of his charitable foundation and develop a high-profile role in championing the conservation of endangered species. He will now embark on what aides describe as a transitional year-long programme of public service as he prepares to become a full-time working royal.

They copy each other.

I think William just wanted to give Catherine some time to adjust to her royal life before she attended those big royal events. Well I think she's pretty well adjusted now and I think they should attend these events.

I think William just wanted to give Catherine some time to adjust to her royal life before she attended those big royal events. Well I think she's pretty well adjusted now and I think they should attend these events.

I totally agree! I think Catherine and William should attend state banquets, they should accompany The Queen on state visits, they should visit other countries on their own, attend diplomatic corps reception, attend investitures etc. I want them to step up and I would love to see them more. I'm just saying when I read those articles and the statement from KP, it doesn't seem like they're going to. William and Catherine want to stay at home, with their child for as long as they possibly can and I have nothing against that. I just wish they would admit it.

I don't know how you can read the body of those articles and state he will be doing nothing more than he has in the last year. If the articles were negative you would probably support them since you're not a fan of either William or Kate. I'll take Richard Palmer's asssesssment over your slightly biased one.

I'm biased? Did you see what Richard Palmer wrote about how William wasted £400,000 of taxpayers money so that he could have a stint in the RAF? Richard Palmer gets none of his information from the palace, and he is not an official source of news. Neither in the DailyMail. The only statement we have is from Kensington Palace which says nothing about William taking part in investitures from his grandmother. You can believe the mis-information all you like. :flowers:

Also- I'm not a fan of William and Catherine because to me at the minute, they're just lazy people doing just enough to satisfy their public. I'm sure i'd like them if I met them, but I never will because they're not out enough. I accepted when William was working, he couldn't perform royal duties all the time. But besides maternity leave, Catherine has never had an excuse now, nor does William. :)

I really do think we will see them step up their royal duties and their charity work. They no longer have the military life to work around. William himself admitted in an interview last year or so that he found it hard to balance out his military life and official duties. Now he's out of the military and I think the main thing for them to do is increase their official duties and charitable workload.

I disagree, KP and the press are trying to flesh it out so they don't get backlash. He's going to do the same amount of engagements and his lack of will be put down to "behind the scenes" work, "preparation", family time etc. . They're just taking it easy for as long as they can.

So William for this next year will be doing the same number of royal engagements he did last year, but now he doesn't have the military job?

hmmm, seems he should increase them just a little now that he doesnt have to balance shift/flying hours. :whistling:

So William for this next year will be doing the same number of royal engagements he did last year, but now he doesn't have the military job?

hmmm, seems he should increase them just a little now that he doesnt have to balance shift/flying hours. :whistling:

How do we know that? Just because some biased reporters or posters on TRF continue to push their anti-William and Catherine agenda does not make it true.

Well no one (but William and KP) knows how many royal engagements he'll be doing. The media and posters are just speculating. He could up his engagements or he could keep the number the same. No one knows.

I don't mind that he and Kate have decided not to be full-time royals right now, but I do think it's time for them to do a bit more. They don't have to take on 400+ engagements, but it would be nice to see them do about 250 or so engagements next year.

Last edited:
I think the reason William and Catherine are looked at as lazy is because of the fact that they are not out in the spotlight like the other members of the BRF. Although they have not been as "out there " as the others, in that I mean showing face, they have in my opinion done an excellent job since the time of their engaement until now. We have had a chance to see them doing speeches, visiting different charities, going to different countries representing the Queen, and just being around the people(who constantly demand that they come over and shake hands or something). Catherine has done a good job,I think, of taking the initiative to get out there and take on speeches and visits without being begged or told to do so. I admire the fact that since marrying into this family and this life, she has done an excellent job of proving herself worthy of the job that is required of her. I think that the Queen and the BRF knew that in order for this young couple to succeed and feel comfortable in the journey that lay ahead for them, they needed to back off a bit and give them some space to enjoy their marriage and their new life together as a couple witnout the pressures of getting down to business right away. They did not want a repeat of the past and I believe they did a good job of cutting this couple some slack and stepping back a bit so that they could breathe. We all knew that at some point in their lives the privacy and the lack of duties would have to come to an end. That time is now. So all in all I give William and Catherine credit for what they have done in the 2 and a half years they have been known as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and they have done it well. I for one await what is in store for them in the future now that we will be seeing more of them. State dinners and tiaras..... I cant wait. :)

Has anyone thought that during this transitional period, William plans to look at a variety of options -

He may want to do more with his time and his life than cutting ribbons and dedicating portraits. There are plenty of royals available for these jobs.

But unless the Duke and Duchess' schedule mirrors that of Princess Anne - they will be call lazy, moochers, by plenty of people.

Well said Lady Gabrielle. The Cambridge's time in Wales is like the queen and Philip's Malta time.

It think there's more to royal duties than just cutting ribbons. I think the idea is for them to step up their game by attending and being part of the "firm" in a more visible and interactive way. The older royals have done a brilliant job in their royal roles over the years but now I just think it's time to inject the younger royals into the inner workings of the Monarchy.

I think it's exceptionally awesome that William has decided to do even more for wildlife in Africa. Kate's first even after George's birth was to go to the Tusk Awards, after all. I see it kind of like they're looking out for their son's future and are looking after his inheritance. Many people think of these things like in terms of money, property, etc., but Will and Kate are thinking more. I mean, even if someone were to inherit all the wealth in the world, what good is it in a world destroyed by waste and pollution? What better inheritance can one possibly leave to future generations than a world that is cleaner and greener than before? What would be most awesome than them being able to see Africa's Big Five in their natural habitat?

Called lazy by the usual subjects on this forum and by the trolls over at the DM but the public at large support their approach to the monarchy and royal duties. William and Catherine are the two most popular members of the BRF so they must be doing something right in the eyes of the British people.

Perhaps their vision of duty will more closely resemble that of some of the European royals- highly visible involvement in international organizations for example- rather than the current pattern of touring hospitals, accepting bouquets, chatting with pensioners, etc.

William and Catherine may be 15 or 20 years away from being in the position C&C are now in. William might have a considerably different view of what constitutes royal duties than his father and grandmother do.

William will take up part-time royal duties and will do charity work. He has done very well in his military career.

I suppose that I am not clear on what Royal duties are.
There is the Queen, she opens parliament, invests people, reads stuff from the red boxes and talks w/ the prime minister. Is she technically required to do anything else?
Then there are the figurehead type functions - state dinners, ribbon cutting, jumping out of helicopters for the Olympics, trooping of the guard type things.
Then there is the role the Royal Family has fashioned for themselves, to support non political good causes (charities or British industry.) Some of these are 'Official' charity associations whereas others appear to be non official non royal associations (eg: Beatrice and Eugenie's voluntary associations w/ various charities.)
From my perspective, the Queen has her role, and intends to do her duty as long as she is able. Charles has been waiting his whole life to step in when called and rather than lead a dissolute lifestyle as some former POWs did, he served in the military and then fashioned a meaningful existence for himself around things he was passionate about. William's true passion seems to be conservation, something his father appears to understand (and presumably his grandmother does as well.) The focus should be on the Queen, then on Charles, William would not wish to usurp their roles, thus he has a very delicate balancing act to perform.
I was struck by the impact William can have when I saw this a.m. that the US midmorning news covered the Tusk event last night - when William speaks, an international audience listens and that will remain true unless he speaks too often, in which case we'll lose interest.
He has served in the military and now wants exposure to non military aspects of government and more exposure to charitable causes he supports, as well as learning to be CEO of his future Duchy of Cornwall, to me it seems like he wants to increase his understanding of all aspects of the country he will one day be King of, and since he has lots of time before his time as King comes - I see that as a good thing. It sounds like he is searching for something more meaningful and well rounded than just re-upping in the military - but perhaps my take on it is overly pollyanish.

Your a big fan of Harry though, of excuse me "Henry". In real world actions what does "Henry" do that warrants your approval and what does William do that you dismiss him as lazy?

Please don't stoop so low you criticise me for calling a person by his actual name. I'm not sure when I said I was ever a big fan of Henry, Henry was never mentioned nor does it match the topic in question. I have more respect for Henry because of his actions, I neither like nor dislike nor am I particularly a fan of his per se. I am a realist on this forum, I say it as I see it and a lot of people appreciate my honesty. If you have issue that's fine :)

Thats my question, what does Harry do? If William is lazy then Harry by the same definition must be lazy.

Take a look at his current events thread, take a looks at his charities and patronages, take a look at the interviews he did when he was in ad returned from Afghanistan. Before you jump down my throat, yes William "can't" go, but Henry did so I'm not going to hold it against him for being brave enough to go to war.

Again, you're off topic and this discussion is getting boring. :)

@Osipi. But they can almost certainly ensure, care of their well-paid spin-doctors, that the general UK populace does not rebel. Happily, such is not the case in some of the Realm countries.

Most people who live in a constitutional monarchy, and who know what they are talking about, understand that succession is based on laws and not on fashion or popularity contests.....but what the heck, why don't you look into your crystal ball and tell us all which realms will rise up with rebellion in the streets upon the succession of Charles III and Queen Camilla? Should we be taking out extra insurance for molotov cocktail damage?

The Queen is the only royal with a constitutional role.

The rest of them could do absolutely nothing and still be royal but...

after World War I George V decided that the royal family needed to connect more with the people to remain relevant and popular. Since then all members have been expected to work with charities and so the royals are judged by their charity work as much as anything.

William has had years to determine his interests and all we know is he is interested in some animals in Africa. I would hope that he would take an interest in conserving endangered species in Britain - nice to save the rhinos but surely it would be nice for George to see a hedgehog in the wild as well and they are also endangered.

As for whether or not William and Kate will attend state dinners etc - that isn't up to them but The Queen who would have to formally invite them to attend. Regardless of their availability if she doesn't want them there they won't be there.

As of 12th September 2013 William has done 27 engagements and Kate 30 for 2013. The reason why I am noting these figures is so that we have a base to see what number of royal engagements they do over the next 12 months. So we have a base figure. Harry, is spent time in Afghanistan, and has been serving in the army all year as well has 43 but he has had an overseas tour in there as well this year.

Thats my question, what does Harry do? If William is lazy then Harry by the same definition must be lazy.

I'm not sure why William is called the lazy one, while Harry is praised. Harry does about the same amount of engagements as William - maybe a little less. In fact, I think this is the only year where Harry has actually done more engagements than William.

IMO, I don't think either is lazy. Both have/had full-time military duties while taking on royal engagements. It's not like they were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing.

Last edited:
IMO, the vagueness of the press release has more to do with the probability that neither HMTQ nor the POW have a clue--both are dedicated to ensuring that Charles becomes King, and as popular as their spin-doctors can manage--what to do with William and Kate than it has to do with Williams supposed reluctance to deal fairly with the media.

Further, Williams so-called press officer/s are paid by the POW, and I doubt that he/she/they are truly independent; almost certainly, his/their press releases are vetted by the spin doctors who pay their salaries. JMO.

A note:

The Queen has NO say over who will succeed her. That decision was made on 14th November, 1948 when she gave birth to a boy.

If Charles survives his mother he will automatically be King.

Parliament could pass legislation to stop it but why would they?

To suggest that William would want to succeed The Queen implies that William wants to hurt his father very, very deeply. What sort of son would be that cruel - and is that sort of person, William? Is William that nasty?

I did look at the current events thread, the charities thread and sure enough William performs more engagements than Harry. William is patron of more charities than Harry. William goes on more overseas tours than Harry and William's job as a SAR pilot is more dangerous than Harry flying an Apache. Harry said in his interview, he has the safest job in the army. Not one Apache has ever been lost to enemy action in 10 years in Afghanistan. Nothing like not wanting the facts to confuse the issue though.

William should do more than Harry. William is in the direct line, Harry is not.

However, this year so far Harry has actually done more than William. It will be interesting to see who does more next year - William, who will no longer be employed, or Harry.

This year Harry has done more than William only because Harry went to USA and Lesotho officially and racked up 24 of his 43 duties or 55.8% of his engagements have come in about 7 days while overseas officially. Take off those overseas tours and he has done about the same as William.

Last edited:
is it any wonder he delayed the announcement of his intentions? I am sure that was a very carefully worded press release which essentially said nothing except that he has finished his time in the military and he is carving out a new role... and look at all of the interpretations in the first 24 hrs.

is it any wonder he delayed the announcement of his intentions? I am sure that was a very carefully worded press release which essentially said nothing except that he has finished his time in the military and he is carving out a new role... and look at all of the interpretations in the first 24 hrs.

There have been a lot of interpretations with a wide range of thoughts and ideas and to be honest, none of us know what lies in the future.

One thing I don't think we should be doing is pitting William against Harry as far as to who does the most duties and engagements. As was pointed out, 55% of Harry's occurred during a short period of time during an overseas trip. I think the main focus in the future is going to be The Dynamic Trio (William, Kate and Harry) working as a team with the Royal Foundation but each will have their own separate areas of focus also. No one is more important than the other at this stage of the game.

My guess is that William may seek out internships to, in a nutshell, enable him to be competent at the top level of managing organizations. Call it CEO and Administrative Services 101 if you will. As more and more of the organizations that they're patronizing and working with network are on an global scale, there is going to be much more to what they do than in the past where a royal lent their name to a cause and did the proverbial ribbon cutting, smiling and waving and posing for photo ops. These three from what we have already seen, are walking the walk (pun intended thinking about Harry's trek to the South Pole) along with talking the talk.

Of course this is just my opinions, guesses and ramblings but its how I see it.

This is a very good point and very interesting.
I agree. There are also the three plus a daughter-in-law adult children of HM and the DoE in addition to the PoW and DoC to consider. IMVHO HM appears to favor keeping them on as her full time representatives as well. The senior royals will call William, Kate and Harry up to the "major leagues" when they're ready.

If you will recall, when Charles was young he had to figure out how to make himself useful to the country until it was his turn to be King. He knew it would be many years. That is the position William is in now. It will be probably 25+ years before he gets there. His choice of public service until then is very important. Besides the Foundation, he also does work with Centerpointe and others. I think he is working to preserve the sports/playing fields for the children. It would be very interesting to know exactly what is being done, but we won't know unless it makes the news. I hope he chooses well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom