The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I have a theory that could be totally wrong on why they delayed the announcement. I think if they're going to announce they're taking on full royal duties, they'd want to immediately schedule some engagements to back that up and Kate can't work til February.

I could be totally wrong, but it would explain why the announcement did not take place in the first two weeks of January like we were told previously.
Personally I don't think an annoucement was ever going to be made. I only saw a tweet from one reporting who quoted someone else I think. William's probably made his decision by now, he probably made it a long time ago and I think it'll be for him to stay in the RAF. There's no rush to announce it and Catherine's apparently not due back, if we see her at all, until end of Feb/March time.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can see Wills staying in the RAF until his unit is privitized. It would make sense, but there would be so much time spent away from Kate, unless there is a barrage of doctors living in the hut with the security people. It will be interesting when we finally are edified.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Sometimes I wonder if, even though decisions have been made, they aren't announced just for the fun of it. Then they can sit back and watch all the speculation and idiotic news musings for the entertainment value.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
Sometimes I wonder if, even though decisions have been made, they aren't announced just for the fun of it. Then they can sit back and watch all the speculation and idiotic news musings for the entertainment value.
I agree. There's no real reason to tell us IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I can see Wills staying in the RAF until his unit is privitized. It would make sense, but there would be so much time spent away from Kate, unless there is a barrage of doctors living in the hut with the security people. It will be interesting when we finally are edified.
SAR is due to be privatised this year, although William has some way of staying on until 2016 I think.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

IF William can stay in the RAF until his father becomes king, there would be no criticism from me. I think it would be good for him. When one ponders the way his life has changed in the last two years and what is coming with the pregnancy, the discipline of the RAF would, IMO, be a stabilizing entity for him.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I actually hope they do become fuilltime royals this year. Then again, I have to respect William & Catherine's personal choice.

I know them choosing to stay in the military won't be easy for them because William has said this himself. He has mentioned it's getting hard to balance the two (military life and royal duties) and now that he will become a father, I think it will be even harder on him and Catherine. I really don't think life will end for them if they become fulltime royals. They still will have a private life behind palace walls and their other private homes.

I just think with them establishing their permanent home at Kensington Palace and setting up their official court there, I think they are now heading in the fulltime royal direction. It's just time, imo.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Yes, I can't see them living away from London for much longer, for so many reasons.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Squadron leader Rimon Than from Prince William's RAF base has died in a Scottish avalanche

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Squadron Leader Than, who worked at RAF Valley, was one of three people killed in the Cairngorms avalanche yesterday.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Victoria Murphy‏@QueenVicMirror
Squadron leader Rimon Than from Prince William's RAF base has died in a Scottish avalanche

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
Squadron Leader Than, who worked at RAF Valley, was one of three people killed in the Cairngorms avalanche yesterday.
Terrible news.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I actually hope they do become fuilltime royals this year. Then again, I have to respect William & Catherine's personal choice.

I know them choosing to stay in the military won't be easy for them because William has said this himself. He has mentioned it's getting hard to balance the two (military life and royal duties) and now that he will become a father, I think it will be even harder on him and Catherine. I really don't think life will end for them if they become fulltime royals. They still will have a private life behind palace walls and their other private homes.

I just think with them establishing their permanent home at Kensington Palace and setting up their official court there, I think they are now heading in the fulltime royal direction. It's just time, imo.
Thanks for a well-though-out comment. I think their life would be better, too, as full time royals. Much easier for Kate, for sure. I know many, many families who are seprated for long periods of time as one or both opted for a military career/stint and it is very difficult for the spouse left behind and for the children.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

North Wales RAF serviceman named among Scots avalanche victims:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-32818389/
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know, for sure, if William has served all the time he needs too. I think it was reported that if he didn"t, he would have to repay his training costs.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

HE has not completed his 3 years yet. UI think that is up in either March or September. HE has to decide now whether to stay on secondment to the RAF SAR, return to his army regiment or leave the military. I think his decision is due about now.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, we shall be hearing what the Cambridge's decision will be soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Commoner

Why his badge still writes William Wales when it should be William Cambridge now
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Perhaps it is just easier to continue to use the name he has been known by since birth. Rather like some women continuing to use their maiden name in their professional life while being Mrs X in their private life.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessgan View Post
Why his badge still writes William Wales when it should be William Cambridge now
William enlisted in the Army as "William Wales" so it makes sense to continue using that name for work purposes.
Although if we have to be pedantic, it shouldn't be William Wales or William Cambridge, but William Windsor since that's his surname.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
William enlisted in the Army as "William Wales" so it makes sense to continue using that name for work purposes.
Although if we have to be pedantic, it shouldn't be William Wales or William Cambridge, but William Windsor since that's his surname.
Technically speaking, he has no surname but if he's to use one it's Mountbatten-Windsor, not simply Windsor.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Technically speaking, he has no surname but if he's to use one it's Mountbatten-Windsor, not simply Windsor.
It's true that the British Royals had no surname until early 20th century; they were known simply as members of the House they belonged to (Hanover, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, etcetera). However, in 1917 George V issued Letters Patent which specified Windsor as the name of not only the House but also the Family, meaning Windsor became their surname.

Mountbatten-Windsor is not and has never been William or Harry's surname. In 1952, the Queen issued a declaration whereby Windsor was confirmed as the name of the Royal Family and House. In 1960, she issued another declaration with stated that any male-line descendants who bear the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom will still belong to the House and Family of Windsor. It was only the those male-line descendants who do not bear those styles and titles who would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Prince William, as a male-line descendants who is a Royal Highness and Prince of the United Kingdom, belongs to the House and Family of Windsor. On the other hand, Harry's children (if born during the Queen's reign) will not be Royal Highnesses or Princes/Princesses, meaning their surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
It's true that the British Royals had no surname until early 20th century; they were known simply as members of the House they belonged to (Hanover, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, etcetera). However, in 1917 George V issued Letters Patent which specified Windsor as the name of not only the House but also the Family, meaning Windsor became their surname.

Mountbatten-Windsor is not and has never been William or Harry's surname. In 1952, the Queen issued a declaration whereby Windsor was confirmed as the name of the Royal Family and House. In 1960, she issued another declaration with stated that any male-line descendants who bear the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom will still belong to the House and Family of Windsor. It was only the those male-line descendants who do not bear those styles and titles who would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Prince William, as a male-line descendants who is a Royal Highness and Prince of the United Kingdom, belongs to the House and Family of Windsor. On the other hand, Harry's children (if born during the Queen's reign) will not be Royal Highnesses or Princes/Princesses, meaning their surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor.
No, you are wrong
For the most part, members of the Royal Family who are entitled to the style and dignity of HRH Prince or Princess do not need a surname, but if at any time any of them do need a surname (such as upon marriage), that surname is Mountbatten-Windsor.
The Royal Family name