The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Unless the RAF and the media get a grip, there will be further disruption to anyone else working at the units involved. The media will already be approaching 'likely' informants to try to get a source.

The whole circus that followed William at Cranwell, Conningsby etc was outrageous!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Gentry

I'm sure the media will do everything they can to do their job. Likewise, I'm sure HRH's comrade's are up to the task will handle it with the utmost of professionalism. They are certainly well trained for it. A great training and professional environment for Prince William also!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unless the RAF and the media get a grip, there will be further disruption to anyone else working at the units involved. The media will already be approaching 'likely' informants to try to get a source.

The whole circus that followed William at Cranwell, Conningsby etc was outrageous!
Yes, but is there an alternative?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

That's right. There weren't a lot of stories that came out about Harry as long as he was actually at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGGfvB View Post
I'm sure the media will do everything they can to do their job. Likewise, I'm sure HRH's comrade's are up to the task will handle it with the utmost of professionalism. They are certainly well trained for it. A great training and professional environment for Prince William also!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Gentry

There's always a professional and appropriate way to conduct oneself in the military, particularly when looking out for one's Comrade(s). There are many cases where a 'circling the wagons' or 'shell game' defensive technique are applied to support one of their own. They can be effective. Even in the case of a media onslaught!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Courtier

Prince William to fly Apache helicopters - Telegraph

Quote:
The young Prince will fly a series of missions in the £25 million helicopters, taking part in training exercises over Salisbury plain, Wilts.
Travelling at speeds of more than 170mph he will be looking for mock Taliban targets before firing with one of the helicopter's deadly array of weapons.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Nobility

He is getting practice flying helicopters in a controled military exercises on Salibury Plain. Why would he be doing such exercises with such minimial expericense flying helicopters and for someone is not going deployed in a combat situation?
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sounds more like training for a search and destroy mission than a search and rescue one.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Sounds more like training for a search and destroy mission than a search and rescue one.
Here in Germany the Bundeswehr's SAR-pilots are serving members of the armed forces so are trained as combat pilots but use their skills flying rescue missions. But in case of a war they could immediately be commanded to fly combat missions. There are civilian pilots flying SAR helicopters as well but these are not members of the armed forces. I guess it's the same in the UK.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981 View Post
He is getting practice flying helicopters in a controled military exercises on Salibury Plain. Why would he be doing such exercises with such minimial expericense flying helicopters and for someone is not going deployed in a combat situation?
This is part of learning about other sections of the forces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine=826621
Here in Germany the Bundeswehr's SAR-pilots are serving members of the armed forces so are trained as combat pilots but use their skills flying rescue missions. But in case of a war they could immediately be commanded to fly combat missions. There are civilian pilots flying SAR helicopters as well but these are not members of the armed forces. I guess it's the same in the UK.
Similar here, they are trained in all aspects of the job. The difference here seems to be that afaik, no civilians are involved off of the ground/water.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Gentry

Thanks Jo of Palatine. You're absoltuely right. German SAR pilots do fly in a quasi-civilian capacity providing their expertise to both the civilian and military medical needs. I believe most of the crew composition consists of military pilots with civilian (or in some cases military) medically trained personnel that provides the medical expertise needed for such missions when flying in the BRD. I spent some time with them while working in a NATO capacity. Good mix of skills and experiences. There is much mutual respect in this small field.

I hope Prince William's training will prepare him to provide such a valuable service to his countrymen (and women!) while honing his skills for a more dangerous environment; if that is what providence has in mind for him.

In my experience, SAR pilots are the some of the most brave. Who else would eagerly fly into a hostile area (if war zone) to rescue comrades in need of assistance, while flying an aircraft that isn't armed (geneva conventions regarding medical transport...). Takes guts, skill, a keen desire to care for one's comrades and some luck.

My hat's off to this Royal family member!
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGGfvB View Post
In my experience, SAR pilots are the some of the most brave. Who else would eagerly fly into a hostile area (if war zone) to rescue comrades in need of assistance, while flying an aircraft that isn't armed (geneva conventions regarding medical transport...). Takes guts, skill, a keen desire to care for one's comrades and some luck.
Search & Rescue was primarily designed to find downed pilots but here in the UK that is rare, here they search for and if possible remove people from mountainsides, hills, the sea and boats, flooding and of course many awkward/dangerous situations. They also search for bodies.

Many places also have air ambulances, with trained personel on board and of course the Coastguard (they tend to use the Sikorsky). William will receive basic lifesaving training and first aid, but not medical training. The main coordination centre is at Kinloss in Scotland.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

The RNZAF is much the same. Search and rescue seems to provide endless challenges as air-lifting people from boats in rough seas or braving the rigours of mountain flying (rescues) which demands calm heads and nerves of steel.

William will have his work cut out for him just to "measure up". It takes a certain kind of mind-set, like SAS or submariners.

You'll have to excuse me for waxing lyrical but it is my personal opinion that Helicopter SAR operations demand the highest degree of skill and dedication, moreso than fighter or bomber pilots. These crews are called on to push the envelope on any given day, 365 days a year in war and in peace. In lieu of war everyone else just gets to exercise (practice).
Old 09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

It does, but I think maybe he'll be allowed to do some 'mock war training' with the Apache.

I think his decision to join the RAF is a good one, if I should say so myself as I am prior Air Force. It also seems the dailies are saying he is shelving his plans (possible) of marrying Kate. But, after a two week vacation in the Caribbean, I'm sure his decision was discussed with the entire Middleton family and especially Kate. And, I don't see any real reason why he can't marry while doing his service in the Search & Rescue.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Gentry

I certainly agree! Military training and routine is not mutually exclusive to family life (I was also in the Air Force...working closely with my NATO and coalition bretheren). One could ague that the military may offer HRH the opportunity to do something extraordinary while concurrently learning those attributes one expects from a leader; particularly out of the media limelight. Cheers!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William is beginning his RAF training and Clarence House are hoping it will shift the focus from the row over involving his brother Harry

William will learn to fly Sea King helicopters with pinpoint accuracy in treacherous conditions to carry out rescues.

William begins RAF helicopter training - Yahoo! News UK
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do hope he passes.......
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Top Gun William, prince of the pilots, is quite a spectacle | Mail Online
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well glad he made it hope he does well
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe that those unfashionable glasses are what we used to call "aviator frames."