Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of papers have written about this today and most of it is a mix of sensationalism and poor english. I've just read The Times report which will be in tomorrows paper and the angle they are taking is interesting. The headline is ‘No greater calling’

Now from someone destined to be King, this is an interesting statement. One perhaps that The Times might follow up.

The Duke said their role was a source of immense pride. “There’s no greater feeling than when you’ve actually done some good and saved someone’s life. I don’t think there’s any greater calling in life… to be able to see a son or daughter’s face when you bring their mother or father back from the edge of death — it’s quite powerful.”

Here is the link but I dont think you can read it because these days you have to pay. But just in case......
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3725203.ece

Agreed. William will be Head of the Armed Forces one day. I have a feeling that anyone that has a small understanding of his current post will all agree, including his troops, that both he and Harry HAVE SERVED WITH HONOR, and have a true understanding of how the military functions. With the respect of the troops to boot.

This article isn't very clear.

"But it seems almost certain that his career at Valley will end before the baby’s birth"
(That is between now and July)

A royal source said: “He hasn’t made a final decision yet on his future but he is there or thereabouts. His tour of duty can finish any time between the end of March and September and the expectation is that it will be over towards the latter half of that period.”
(That is between July and September)

I think that if he goes early and that decision is made public just as the 4 part programme about his love of the service is aired, it will be poor PR. Especially if he leaves and does next to nothing by way of royal duties.

I still think his decision is already made and they are keeping it from the press for whatever reason. I think he will end it near the birth of the baby (leave early-maybe june) and I think thats one of the reasons hes been trying to get all of his flying hrs up since the hospitalization in dec.

i highly doubt hes going to be a full time royal. I am sure he has been trying to a position that allows him occasional flying, thats part time and allows for more family time and royal duties.

regarding the sea king doc. I feel that its prob his tribute to what hes been doing over the last couple years. Regardless of him staying or leaving they are getting rid of sea king helicopters...it wont matter if he leaves, really.

Royal Reporter, Victoria Murphy is reporting that the announcement will be made within the next two weeks.

Royal Reporter, Victoria Murphy is reporting that the announcement will be made within the next two weeks.

Dman - where did you see this? It was not on her Twitter page.

It was written in on her most recent articles on them...I think the one about the country home.

Dman - where did you see this? It was not on her Twitter page.

Victoria mentioned this in her article:
Kate Middleton and Prince William mansion revamp: The facelift of Anmer Hall that's fit for a king - Mirror Online

"The couple also still have their home in rural Anglesey, but they will move on from there once William finishes his tour of duty as a Search And Rescue pilot with the RAF this September.
He will announce within the next two weeks what his plans are beyond that, with options including becoming a full-time royal or another military role."

PArts of that article disappeared off the Mirror site.

BTW, the carved wooded sign for Anmer is not the netrance to the Hall but the village sign, which is a tradition for Norfolk villages. The coat of arms notes that its partof the royal estate, I assume.

How do people bring themselves to write this stuff?
A source says: “He is focused on the future and is narrowing down his options.”
Narrowing his options. LOL. He has known the deadline since he took up helicopter rescue. He has known he would have a family for his whole adult life (and given his wife publicly being off alcohol last fall, knew the time to start that family had arrived). He has known all his life that sooner or later he would work full time in the firm. He has watched working members of the family age and has grown up watching his father in the role of Heir.

William shows little. While he owns many suits, I am sure, his business attire appears to be a similarly styled endless parade of navy suits. He wears less than a dozen business ties. He of course, has military dress and evening attire as well - and we see these when required by an event he attends. His casual attire is nondescript and largely unvaried. His hair is one of the few things that seems to change.

His family is rarely forthcoming about inside information. Heard anything about how the hard-working Duke of Kent is coming along lately?

It's just my opinion, but William and Catherine made this decision long ago. The have a plan and they have shared it with people they trust and with whom they want to share. The rest of us must wait and see. :)

Last edited:
Ugh...another filler article. I still stand by what I said before..I think he made his decision months ago and Kate, the queen and charles..the rest of the world (ie the reporters) are in the dark. I feel like reporters such as rob jobson and Camilla are hoping a little too much for him to go full time for royal duties. I don't think he's going to do that I think he will hugely increase his appearances compared to now, but, I think him going full time now will completely overshadow Charles.

If he goes full time, harry should also increase his royal duties,too.

These reporters also feel that the queen and prince Philip should lower there appearances...I don't see them wanting to do that.

This reminds of the lame article by the sun saying William was taking paternity leave as if its an exclusive. Most men get 2 weeks paternity leave, how is that an exclusive.

I agree Admirer...but I don't think its up to him when its revealed. I think other people are deciding that..maybe it will be revealed next week since its an empty royal week.

Last edited:
Ugh...another filler article. I still stand by what I said before..I think he made his decision months ago and Kate, the queen and charles..the rest of the world (ie the reporters) are in the dark.

I would think that Kate wouldn't be in the dark since she is his wife.

I would think that Kate wouldn't be in the dark since she is his wife.

Sorry, thats what i meant. I didn't even noticed i left the word know out. I mean kate, queen and charles know.

Paul Harrison‏@SkyNewsRoyal3m
#royal those hoping to see Prince #William in 'Helicopter Rescue' tonight - BBC1 Wales reschedules due to #Thatcher death. Now on 15th

@CambridgeWatch: Hello! confirms William is leaving the RAF and beginning an unannounced new job. Will is also planning to take time off for the baby.

Sunday Times on William leaving the RAF

William quits RAF base as birth nears | The Sunday Times

From the report

THE Duke of Cambridge is to leave the RAF base in Anglesey where he is nearing the end of a 3-year tour of duty as a Sea King helicopter pilot.

Prince William has told his commanding officer at RAF Valley search and rescue force that he has decided it is the right time to “move on”. He is expected to leave in the summer but it is not clear whether he will take up other duties in the armed forces.

I am wondering if security concerns over the baby has played a part in his decision to quit the RAF. I know Will and Kate never had a problem in Wales, but perhaps the curious and even those a little less benevolent could not be kept away as easily as a home in KP.

Until the new apartment is ready, the only place to walk out is a public park (no garden to speak of) - which is why you see her walking the dog in Kensington Gardens. I dont think its a security issue at all. I think its jus the right time, mainly because of the changes to SAR.

Yes, I think it was just time. It seems like they enjoyed their time there, but I bet it's gotten harder and harder to work with their office and do royal duties from there.

I'm very interested to see what he does next. I'm hoping they make an announcement soon, maybe on the wedding anniversary Monday.

if he leave the royal air forse he can work in another force?

Until the new apartment is ready, the only place to walk out is a public park (no garden to speak of) - which is why you see her walking the dog in Kensington Gardens. I dont think its a security issue at all. I think its jus the right time, mainly because of the changes to SAR.

She can always drive over to BP and walk there. Diana used to go swimming in the palace pool, so maybe Catherine will start a course in baby swimming together with her child soon. Or is the pool no longer in use due to the cost?

if he leave the royal air forse he can work in another force?

William was on secondment to the RAF from his army regiment The Blues and Royals. There has been no mention of him resigning his commission therefore technically when he leaves the RAf, he goes back to his regiment. The regiment is either based at Windsor or (mainly) London.

He may leave the military all together. When he was in the Blues and Royals as a tank commander, the higher ups wouldn't let him go to a combat zone. Harry had to move to the air corps to go back to Afghanistan . So he may not want to have a desk job with the army. There is going to be void as the queen and prince Phillip slow down and William & Kate will have to fill it.

He may leave the military all together. When he was in the Blues and Royals as a tank commander, the higher ups wouldn't let him go to a combat zone. Harry had to move to the air corps to go back to Afghanistan . So he may not want to have a desk job with the army. There is going to be void as the queen and prince Phillip slow down and William & Kate will have to fill it.
didn't rule out that possibility but there is no word as yet that he has resigned his commission therefore as it stands IF (still no official word) he leaves SAR, then he goes back to the army.

The UK are pulling out of Afghanistan - so there is no "war" situation. However, commanding a unit, discipline and planning are all good training for a future king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom