The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Currently the youngest full-time working royal is Sophie who has just turned 47.

That is the biggest problem for me - that this business has no full-time workers under 47 and only two under 50.

If anyone truly thinks that William and Kate will be able to raise their children without the glare of publicity just because he is working in Wales they are delusional - the press won't let them so unless they intend on keeping them locked away inside their houses all the time the youngsters will need to get used to the press. The press might let them have some privacy in Wales but once their are kids - all bets will be off - just as they will be once Kate announces that she is pregnant.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't the whole "Firm" scaling down, though? Isn't there concern that all their official duties cost the taxpayers money (when it's official, don't the taxpayers pay incidentals and security?) That's what people here keep saying anyway. It's just U.K., I suppose, who pays those expenses - but it's often people with U.K. locations here on tRF's that are impatient about the expenses.

Perhaps the thought is that if the younger ones don't get used to the "freebies" of traveling around, they won't miss it.

But it seems that there could be a feeling among younger royals that it's actually work, it's intrusive - and just getting "free trips" here and there might not be worth it.

Monarchy continually evolves, that's for sure.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If anyone truly thinks that William and Kate will be able to raise their children without the glare of publicity just because he is working in Wales they are delusional - the press won't let them so unless they intend on keeping them locked away inside their houses all the time the youngsters will need to get used to the press. The press might let them have some privacy in Wales but once their are kids - all bets will be off - just as they will be once Kate announces that she is pregnant.
I actually think the press over the years has learned that William's feelings towards them is not an overly fond one and its been said that he can be quite stubborn about things when he wants to be. I've yet to see a picture released of Will's day to day life in Wales and there's been relatively few pictures of Kate out and about while there.. even when she's in a public place. I believe William is very adamant about the press hounding his family as they had his mother and the press does not want to be on his bad side. I think in Wales, they will be more or less allowed to raise their children in relative privacy even if its only for a few years. Its those first few years with small ones that really create the bonds of a family and I would hope that the press has the sense of decency enough to respect that. When you really think about it, the press has been focused more and more on Pippa's movements and such and to me that reflects the hands-off policy where Wills and Kate are concerned.

I think in the future it most likely will be that the Cambridge's private life will be as sacrosant as the Queen's with a clear distinction between public and private life.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Isn't the whole "Firm" scaling down, though? Isn't there concern that all their official duties cost the taxpayers money (when it's official, don't the taxpayers pay incidentals and security?) That's what people here keep saying anyway. It's just U.K., I suppose, who pays those expenses - but it's often people with U.K. locations here on tRF's that are impatient about the expenses..
We don't know if the firm is scaling down, it was an idea of Charles which seems to be put in place, such as with the York girls but we don't know how things will pan out when he realises there will be a huge gap in engagements when he gets older.
There's always been concern about the royals and taxpayers money, particularly from people who read the Daily Mail and who often don't live in the UK.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

You know, it's funny but I keep hearing that Charles is scaling back, kicking out the York Princesses, cutting back on perhaps even his siblings and just leaving him and his sons and yet . . . . nobody can quote a source. I mean Charles isn't the King, and when we first started hearing it 10-15 years ago, he was even further from the throne.

It does not make sense. If William is saying he wants to stay in the Air Force for a few more years it would seem that he wouldn't even intimate such a thing unless he had the approval of his grandmother and father which makes no sense in view of the great cutback.

Hmm. Makes you think!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

William (and Kate) will probably have to take on an increasing number of engagements as time passes.
I don't see how Phillip and the Queen will be able to maintain their heavy schedules indefinitely!

There are others who can work in SAR; William is needed to support his family.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does Prince William get any time off during his tour in the Faulklands?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
William (and Kate) will probably have to take on an increasing number of engagements as time passes.
I don't see how Phillip and the Queen will be able to maintain their heavy schedules indefinitely!

There are others who can work in SAR; William is needed to support his family.
Its not like he does not undertake engagements while still doing service in the SAR. In 2011 he visited Australia, NZ, Canada, USA as well as undertaking engagements in the UK. In 2012 he and Catherine will undertake a tour in Asia and the Pacific as well as engagements in support of the Olympics. Serving in the SAR is not exactly shirking his duty to Queen and country.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Serving in the SAR is not exactly shirking his duty to Queen and country.
In fact, I would say that serving in SAR is doing duty to Queen and country on the other end of the candle.

Patra: I am almost positive that William will have off times while he's in the Fauklands just as he did in Anglesly. From what I've gathered, the way duty is rotated is that you're "on station" for 24 hours and then off. That is the normal crew. I don't believe I've read anywhere whether or not there are training classes of any kind. I'm sure the base is well planned to include things to do on downtime such as what most servicemen have as in sports facilities, maybe a bar or social club and shopping facilities. I'm not sure how much William will venture into the local areas though, he might prefer to just stay on base. I really doubt that we'll be hearing too much about his adventures while he's there.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree. Any appearance off base would have to be well thought out and planned to the nth degree. Prince William strolling the local streets could be interpreted exceptionally negatively, diplomatically speaking.

That being said, I somehow don't see him leaving that tiny little outpost without showing the flag and that a member of their royal family is present on the island. I'm guessing it will be a masterly balancing act of diplomacy with a sighting just before he is due to leave. Anything more would be deemed "provocative".
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Majesty

The Duke of Cambridge did his first rescue mission in the Falklands.

William to the rescue: Falkland Islanders get first glimpse of the Prince in action as he plays major role in rescue mission | Mail Online

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good for Prince William, thanks for posting the link to the story, I've been wanting some news about him in the Falklands!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

SAS ring of steel protects William: Falklands guard as tensions rise ahead of anniversary | Mail Online
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Prince William lucky to escape chopper near-miss
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Talk about sensationalism!

William wasn't onboard.
It didn't crash land, merely made a safety landing - at the base.
Problem fixed quickly.
Hardly a case of sabotage by the Argentinians.

- I sometimes think we would have at most half the number of conflicts in this world, if it wasn't for the press.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

According to the media, William is a bad flying omen. Remember his and Kate's crazy near miss when returning from Denmark?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Serene Highness

What happened re: the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's near miss on return from Denmark?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Ah, just read about it online. Their plane narrowly averted hitting another as they were landing and had to do a fly around. They were "unnerved." I'd be terrified! But, yes, I've often thought Prince William's job is a risky one and hope he remains safe.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Britain's William conquers affections in Falklands - Connecticut Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh no! Now the press is going to be all over the place trying to discover the name of William's new penguin. My guess is that he's taking it home for his wife.