The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Commoner

I have always expected for William to try to live as normal a life as possible for as long as he reasonably could. I'm sure that what makes him happy. So if this article is true, it does not surprise me at all. It is good to see that the Queen & Charles support that. They know first-hand what it is like and probably see no pressing need for William to be a full-time royal just yet.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William to go to the Falklands for six-week posting during 30th anniversary of conflict | Mail Online

Prince William to go to the Falklands for six-week posting during 30th anniversary of conflict

Read more: Prince William to go to the Falklands for six-week posting during 30th anniversary of conflict | Mail Online

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad they didn't stop him from going for fear of upsetting the Argentinians.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Majesty

A statement from The Ministry of Defense regarding William's deployment to the Falklands:

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | People In Defence | Duke of Cambridge to deploy to Falklands

And from BBC News:

BBC News - Prince William to be deployed to Falklands

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Courtier

BBC-Argentina condemns Prince William Falklands posting

"The Duke of Cambridge's posting to the Falkland Islands has been condemned by Argentina as a 'provocative act'.
Britain says Prince William's deployment for training as a helicopter rescue pilot is routine."

Well it was expected, Argentina isn't happy but they really (EDIT: shouldn't) use William in their portrayal of Britain deploying there as a provocative act
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Not exactly shocking and I am sure the government knew this was coming. Argentina does not agree with the British position that any change in sovereignty must be left up to the people of The Falklands.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William Rescue Mission in Irish Sea : People.com
Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Majesty

More on the rescue from BBC News.

BBC News - Hunt for five missing crew of sunken Swanland halts

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
This may just be me, but I do think it's very unfair that Prince William is continually announced as being part of various search and rescue teams.
I agree. It's very distasteful and a bit disrespectful to the family members of those involved, as there biggest concern is their family member, however the media are only interested because Prince William is involved.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I'm sure that he'd rather it not be singled out either. Its what they do. Its a team effort and when they do go on missions, getting fame and glory and recognition is the last thing on their minds.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

There is a positive side to the publicity though in that it does highlight the work done by Search and Rescue teams everyday, work that went largely unnoticed by the general public until William joined the service.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The cargo ship 'The Swanland' was struck by a massive wave & broke in 2 & then sank early on Sunday morning in the Irish Sea.

Weather conditions were dreadful,we had almost hurricane strenght winds here on late Saturday night/Early Sunday morning.

The search for the missing 5 men resumed this morning.

BBC News - Search for crew of sunken Swanland to resume
Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No, it's not just you. But it seems that the MOD are pleased to announce his participation so I guess they think any publicity is good publicity.

Me, if we have to know who's in the chopper, I would like to know who all the very talented Pilot and crew member's were. After all, it takes a crew to do the job!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
No, it's not just you. But it seems that the MOD are pleased to announce his participation so I guess they think any publicity is good publicity.

Me, if we have to know who's in the chopper, I would like to know who all the very talented Pilot and crew member's were. After all, it takes a crew to do the job!
Well, SAR staff are unsung heros. And most like it that way. Now they have one the media is already "singing" about, so why not let them? After all, at the moment they are in dire financial straits and need as much positive media coverage as they can get. At least people now know how important the SAR work is.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Majesty

I'm not a fan of this arrangement at all.

Not even Flight Lieutenant William Wales could save his search-and-rescue teams - Telegraph

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's a bit of news. It will be interesting to see what they give Wills to do. Perhaps he won't go to the Falklands now...anyone know anything else about the privitazation of the search and rescue?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That's a bit of news. It will be interesting to see what they give Wills to do. Perhaps he won't go to the Falklands now...anyone know anything else about the privitazation of the search and rescue?
As far as I remembered, Wills' unit wasn't to be scrapped until 2013. I went looking and found the article posted from about a year ago.

William's RAF rescue unit will be axed to save cash | Mail Online
Old 01-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
He will be off to the Falklands,regardless what rags write...

Privatization isn't done in a jiffy tho,it will yake a while,no worries.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
He will be off to the Falklands,regardless what rags write...

Privatization isn't done in a jiffy tho,it will yake a while,no worries.
Last I've read is that the privatization of SAR will be taking effect in 2013. That's about the time that Wills is scheduled to end his tour of duty with them.

With the slowing down of the DoE as far as his workload goes, it seems more than likely now that Wills will become a full time working royal whereas before I was willing to bet that if he could, he'd sign up for another stint with SAR. He really seems to enjoy his work with them.