Prince William Created Duke of Cambridge: April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRH, Prince and Princess William of Wales?

I was told by a friend that they are still are still Prince and Princess William of Wales but they were also given a Royal Duke ship (can't think of the correct word). I hope this is true and they can still use this though I doubt they will

I wish Kate and Will had declined the Duke title. It's so blah!

To be given a Ducal title is an honour, William is now also an Earl and a Baron.

Catherine's title is as follows: HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

She is a princess by marriage, not by birth. However because William was made a peer on his wedding day, she will be known by the feminine form of his ducal title -- HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

According to the website of the Prince of Wales, their new titles (in addition to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) are The Earl and Lady of Strathearn and The Baron and Countess of Carrickfergus.

Can anyone explain why so? You would think the counterpart for Earl would be Countess and for Baron it would be Baroness.

I think there's an error on the site. It should be Earl and Countess of Strathearn and Baron and Baroness/Lady Carrickfergus (no "of" in the latter).

What so great about this or these titles? What makes this so perfect? I thought William did not care for titles? I am suprised he/they accepted this. It would have been more interesting making Kate a Princess, Princess William of Wales and if he remained Prince William.

American Observer7 said:
What so great about this or these titles? What makes this so perfect? I thought William did not care for titles? I am suprised he/they accepted this. It would have been more interesting making Kate a Princess, Princess William of Wales and if he remained Prince William.

He's still Prince William and making Kate a princess in her own right would have been even more pompous. He needs a title, he is a future King.

Umm, she is Princess William. Her full title is HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

How many times has it been said on this board in relation to the giving/receiving of a dukedom, that you don't lose any titles, you gain them. He's still Prince William, she's now Princess William, just that he's a peer and will now be referred to by that peerage, as will she.

William is the first son of a Prince of Wales to marry since Queen Victoria's reign. Victoria's two eldest male-line grandsons were created Royal Dukes and the British monarchy usually follows tradition in these matters.

Given The Queen's good health and his father's vigor, it could be 15 years before William becomes The Duke of Cornwall. It makes sense for him to have a Dukedom of his own in the meantime.

They are as follows: TRH Prince and Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Earl and Countess of Strathearn, Baron and Baroness Carrickfergus. Because William was made a peer, he will now be known the senior most of those peerages, which is his ducal title. As his wife, she will be known by the feminine form of that title. So while they are still Prince and Princess William, they will be styled and referred to now as TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Which sounds damn regal.

It seems that the Cambridge title wasn't a surprise; it was certainly one of the most often mentioned possibilities in polls, with commentators, etc. Is there are reason for this? Was there something in particular that made this title a strong possibility or was it just one of those ideas that took off on its own and turned out to be right?

They are as follows: TRH Prince and Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Earl and Countess of Strathearn, Baron and Baroness Carrickfergus. Because William was made a peer, he will now be known the senior most of those peerages, which is his ducal title. As his wife, she will be known by the feminine form of that title. So while they are still Prince and Princess William, they will be styled and referred to now as TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Which sounds damn regal.

I agree it does sound regal

Courtesy Titles

As I understand it, a main reason for the two subsidiary titles is for future use (as courtesy titles) for their first son and grandson. The eldest sons of the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent both are known as Earls in this regard.

David Smith said:
As I understand it, a main reason for the two subsidiary titles is for future use (as courtesy titles) for their first son and grandson. The eldest sons of the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent both are known as Earls in this regard.

Isn't it to represent Scotland too?Or something like that?

It seems that the Cambridge title wasn't a surprise; it was certainly one of the most often mentioned possibilities in polls, with commentators, etc. Is there are reason for this? Was there something in particular that made this title a strong possibility or was it just one of those ideas that took off on its own and turned out to be right?

I felt that Cambridge was a nice tribute to the heritage of the royal family. Queen Mary, grandmother of the current queen, was a grand-daughter of the last Duke of Cambridge. She's the one who commissioned the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara that the queen later gave to Diana.

I was told by a friend that they are still are still Prince and Princess William of Wales but they were also given a Royal Duke ship (can't think of the correct word). I hope this is true and they can still use this though I doubt they will

I wish Kate and Will had declined the Duke title. It's so blah!

As William now has a peerage in his own right he is no longer 'of Wales' as his own 'of Cambridge' takes over.

He is still HRH Prince William so Catherine is now HRH Princess William.

However, they won't use those styles officially but will be referred to as The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - just like Prince Charles is often referred to as Prince Charles officially he is always The Prince of Wales - except in Cornwall where he is The Duke of Cornwall and in Scotland where the official style is always The Duke of Rothesay.

Look at it this way: William is a married man now. He's starting his own household and his own family with Catherine. The new title reflects this change in his life and lets him establish a separate identity than just the son of the Prince of Wales. It's an upgrade and marks his growing role as a member of the royal family.

Courtesy Titles

You're right. The titles are usually an English dukedom, a Scottish earldom and a (Northern) Irish barony. In earlier times, the dukedom might actually have been Scottish and/or Irish as well. For example, Queen Victoria's son Arthur was the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn. So the Queen actually revived the use of the Strathearn title. The Cambridge title became extinct about 30 years ago with the death of the 2nd Marquess of Cambridge.

You're right. The titles are usually an English dukedom, a Scottish earldom and a (Northern) Irish barony. In earlier times, the dukedom might actually have been Scottish and/or Irish as well. For example, Queen Victoria's son Arthur was the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn. So the Queen actually revived the use of the Strathearn title. The Cambridge title became extinct about 30 years ago with the death of the 2nd Marquess of Cambridge.

You can have more than one peerage representing an area. While the Marquessate of Cambridge became extinct 30 years ago, the Dukedom of Cambridge became extinct over 100 years ago, and that's what William received. If there was still a Marquess of Cambridge, it wouldn't have hindered the Queen from bestowing William with a dukedom from the same area.

Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, actually lived in Clarence House until his death in 1942. So that gives us another nice connection to William -- not to mention that Arthur is one of his names!

The son of George III who was Duke of Cambridge Prince Adolphus) was also Chancellor of St Andrews University so using Cambridge is a link to William's father and to the university that brought them together.

Charles went to Cambridge and of course Kate and William met at St Andrews.

Just a thought why Cambridge and not Clarence.

Of course William is also a direct descendent of this Duke of Cambridge through Queen Mary. Adolphus' daughter was Queen Mary's mother so William is a great-great-great-great-grandson of Adolpus.

William's eldest son will automatically be HRH Prince X of Cambridge at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent and will not use his father's Earldom as a courtesy title.

His other children will be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor under the 1917 Letters Patent if born during The Queen's reign, unless she issues Letters Patent providing all of his children will enjoy the style and rank of HRH Prince/Princess of the UK, which I think is very likely.

William's eldest son will automatically be HRH Prince X of Cambridge at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent and will not use his father's Earldom as a courtesy title.His other children will be Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor under the 1917 Letters Patent if born during The Queen's reign, unless she issues Letters Patent providing all of his children will enjoy the style and rank of HRH Prince/Princess of the UK, which I think is very likely.

As George VI issued letters patent to make her children royal while he was still alive, one thinks that she would do the same.

However, just to through a wrinkle into the mix, perhaps they will agree to let the name Windsor-Mountbatten stand for a few years just as a kindness to Prince Phillip to see his legacy live on before he dies. Of course, if the firstborn is a girl, that issue will be overshadowed by the controversy over the law of succession.

It would be easier if Prince Harry marries and has a child before Prince Phillip dies. It might be less controversial to leave his children non-royal until his grandmother's death. However, I would say the odds of that happening are increasingly remote given Phillip's age and Harry's new status as one of the most desirable bachelors in the world.

As George VI issued letters patent to make her children royal while he was still alive, one thinks that she would do the same.

George VI issued Letters Patent in 1948 providing Elizabeth's children would be HRH Prince/Princess of the UK at birth because under the 1917 Letters Patent only the male-line grandchildren are entitled to it and he knew his daughter would succeed him as The Sovereign.

Victoria issued Letters Patent in 1898 elevating the children of the eldest son of The Prince of Wales to the rank of HRH. At that time, male-line great-grandchildren were HH Prince/Princess of Great Britain and Ireland at birth, but she elevated The Duke of York's children to Royal Highness knowing they would become male-line grandchildren of The Sovereign.

The Queen may do the same given her age and the reality that William's children will become the future royal family in a relatively short timeframe.

You can have more than one peerage representing an area. While the Marquessate of Cambridge became extinct 30 years ago, the Dukedom of Cambridge became extinct over 100 years ago, and that's what William received. If there was still a Marquess of Cambridge, it wouldn't have hindered the Queen from bestowing William with a dukedom from the same area.

Can you give an example of when this happened? Many times a noble is referred to simply by the geographical entity in his title (ie Wellington in place of the Duke of Wellington) so it would be confusing to have both a Duke of Cambridge and a Marquess of Cambridge. Thus I think the Cambridge title had to become extinct before it could be used again.

A thought about the actual LPs creating this title:

If they follow the normal course of events e.g. 'heirs male of the body' the imagine the following scenaria:

William and Kate's first child is a girl. Their second child though is a boy.
The governments of the various realms change the law about primogeniture without changing the laws regarding other titles at the same time then

The girl will be Queen in time but the boy will inherit Cambridge.

:previous: That would only happen if William died before becoming King. The dukedom will merge into the crown when (and if) he succeeds.

:previous: That would only happen if William died before becoming King. The dukedom will merge into the crown when (and if) he succeeds.

Of course - I should have spelt out what I meant better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom