Prince William Created Duke of Cambridge: April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iluvbertie said:
This is the same comment that was made in 1981 - they said then that the public could call Diana Princess Diana.

However I will stick with the title that she was given - Duchess of Cambridge.

She is a princess by marriage of course but I prefer to use either the official title or a total nickname - Kate.

I agree, it was a different situation with Diana. She was the Princess of Wales, so it was not much of a stretch to call her Princess Diana. To call Catherine "Princess Catherine" seems too much of a stretch since she's officially known as the Duchess of Cambridge.

They come across as being relaxed and casual for such a formal title, but I grew up with him as Prince William, so I will end up calling them Prince William/Duchess of Cambridge when I don't refer to them as William and Kate. :)

Last edited:
I'm curious do we still include the "wales" part or is that dropped all together?

As the 'of Wales' is used to distinguish the different noble families and William is now a noble in his own right I would drop the 'of Wales'.

It wouldn't make sense to refer to William as Prince William of Wales and then next year to refer to his eldest son as Prince Hagrid of Cambridge.

:previous:

No wonder he wants to stick to Wales. After all the trouble they went into to avoid having William and Catherine's monogram as "WC", now he should be William Cambridge ("WC" again...)?

:previous:

No wonder he wants to stick to Wales. After all the trouble they went into to avoid having William and Catherine's monogram as "WC", now he should be William Cambridge ("WC" again...)?

:lol: too funny

Some more info about how they will use their new title
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

The consensus seems to be that, informally, they will be known as the Cambridges, not that I'm pretending any of this really matters.

16 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I'm told Kate will never use the Wales surname. If she is a guest at the officers' club, she will still be the Duchess of Cambridge.
What Newlyweds Prince William, Kate Call Each Other at Home - Celebrity News - UsMagazine.com

Last edited:
I will always refer to Kate as "Duchess of Cambridge" or "the Duchess". This is her official title and is what should be used.
Her name of Kate has already been changed to using Catherine which to be honest came across as a bit pretentious.
Duchess of Cambridge is a perfectly nice title and she should be happy just to get a title.

I don't think she's unhappy nowhere did she state that she isn't grateful I think it's more what William wished she would have gotten more or less because I think he wanted his wife to be equal to him in terms of rank. Not that she isn't now she has the title duchess but rank of a princess but I get the feeling because he's grown up being called "Prince William" he's finding it hard to be called "The Duke of Cambridge" Well least IMO from what I've read and I can sorta see his point even I'm finding it hard to call him Duke of Cambridge.

I will always refer to Kate as "Duchess of Cambridge" or "the Duchess". This is her official title and is what should be used.
Her name of Kate has already been changed to using Catherine which to be honest came across as a bit pretentious.
Duchess of Cambridge is a perfectly nice title and she should be happy just to get a title.

There was nothing pretentious about the name use of Catherine, since that has been her official name since she was born. Kate is just a nickname.

Getting a title is customary on a royal wedding day, so it is not something she should be happy about - as in "she'd better be grateful for it". I haven't read anywhere that she is not happy with the title, since that is the way your post comes across to me.

Opal said:

Her name hasn't been 'changed' Catherine is her name, Kate was a nickname given to her by the press. How can it be pretentious to be called by your own name?

Honestly Kate requesting to be called Catherine is no different than people who are previously known as a Billy/Willie, Betsy, Joe, etc who as they grow up and develop professional careers wish to be known as William, Elizabeth and Joseph in such a capacity.

Zonk said:
Honestly Kate requesting to be called Catherine is no different than people who are previously known as a Billy/Willie, Betsy, Joe, etc who as they grow up and develop professional careers wish to be known as William, Elizabeth and Joseph in such a capacity.

Yes exactly- plus SHE never said Catherine that was the RF , she herself has said she's still very much Kate so it's hardly pretentious ! :) I agree w Zonk and previous posters on this

Ok so to the experts out there a little help. Richard from Daily Express said this:
@IFCMI No, she's not a Princess. The wife of a Prince isn't automatically a Princess, BP says. Fergie was never Princess Sarah; nor Sophie.

4 May

in response to this question:
@RoyalReporter surely she is a princess (p william) the official line is that she isn't princess Catherine

Is that true I thought her full title included Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge and so on.

Ok so to the experts out there a little help. Richard from Daily Express said this:

in response to this question:

Is that true I thought her full title included Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge and so on.

Note that they said Fergie was never Princess Sarah - correct - but she was a princess - Princess Andrew.

A bit of half-right. Catherine isn't Princess Catherine but she is a princess - Princess William but officially Duchess of Cambridge. You won't see her with the title Princess until Charles becomes King and William is created Prince of Wales at which time she will be Princess of Wales - but still not Princess Catherine.

Right just what I thought too. So he's half right she's not Princess Catherine but he's half wrong when denying she's not Princess William either right?

She isn't a princess in her own right, but it was settled in 1923 that the wife of a prince is a princess.

Royal Styles and Titles of Great Britain

"It is officially announced that, in accordance with the settled general rule that a wife takes the status of her husband, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on her marriage has become Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York, with the status of a Princess. "

Right so she isn't Princess Catherine but does the rank of a princess means she's Princess William?

Catherine's full title and style is: Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus

Right that's what I always thought too it's just Richard's post confused me. I'll have to correct him on that.

Slightly OT, but after so many years of them trying to avoid letting the paps get their picture together (the video of him in his uniform and her in the white coat where she is practically running to keep up with him so (supposedly) the paps can't get their picture always comes to mind), this picture of them holding hands is just so sweet :)

Publicly, I will always address them as the D&DofCa; however, I have always known them as Wills and Kate and will continue to do so when posting on this forum.

So Richard spoke with the palace in the morning and we were all wrong!
@Kristinazzz9191 re Princess Kate, I asked the palace to clarify this again. She would have automatically become Princess William of Wales..

@Kristinazzz9191 ..if she hadn't got another title. But she is not a Princess after being made Duchess of Cambridge.

@RoyalUniverse No. She is not a princess. That is what I have been told by Buckingham Palace and St James's Palace.

@RoyalUniverse yes, he is still a blood prince but they keep saying the wife of a prince is not automatically a princess if given a title.

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer @

@JDarnell44 But yes, if Charles becomes King, William and Kate will become the Prince and Princess of Wales.

7 hours ago

After reading the above Tweet, which is a definitive statement, his credibility (with me) is gone.

I'll ask him since I thought he can't automatically inherit Prince of Wales but rather the Queen or I suppose at the time his father will have to recreate it for him if that's the case.

I trust Richard he's been pretty bang on about the things I've asked him in the past so if he says he asked the palace today then he did.

Last edited:
So Richard spoke with the palace in the morning and we were all wrong!

Catherine has the rank of a Princess ("HRH Princess William of Wales") with her marriage to Prince William, the same as all wives of sons and male-line grandsons of The Sovereign. She is not a Princess of the UK in her own right, nor does she enjoy the style of a Princess.

Her husband was created a Duke and his wife is automatically a Duchess upon marriage. This is her title, but she holds royal rank as the wife of a Prince of the UK.

She is not, formally or informally, Princess Catherine, but HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

The palace says she doesn't have the HRH Princess William of Wales. I dunno if that's different then having the rank of a princess. I'm not great with titles/styles but from what I'm understanding from his posts the palace is telling him that her title would have been HRH Princess William of Wales had she not gotten HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. Now as I said I dunno if that's different then having a rank of a princess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom