The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM

I thought it would be Duke of Strathearn and Earl of Cambridge. I almost won :)

Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Aristocracy

I got it right ... for once. Slendid ceremony, splendid title!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Very convenient and a nice title for William and Catherine. Many more good titles.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Gentry

Wondeful news, The Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge .The Queen's title was a wonderful wedding gift.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Nobility

I know this is for a different thread but since it's been mentioned here... I hope Catherine does not use the Cambridge Tiara in conjunction with the title. The media is already drawing way to many comparisons between Catherine and Diana, the use of that particular tiara would only exacerbate the comparisons. Love the title and had hoped the Queen would either make Catherine a princess in her own right (as she did with Prince Philip) or dust off Cambridge for the couple.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Nobility

In the forum's poll I have voted for the Dukedom of Cambridge as many of us!
I'm so happy for Catherine's new status and as far as I can see Wiki has modified her profile page and is now protected!!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Nobility

I have heard it already -- on the radio while I was driving to work, the DJ referred to "Princess Kate"...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

why not preincess?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
why not preincess?

Catherine's title is as follows: HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

She is a princess by marriage, not by birth. However because William was made a peer on his wedding day, she will be known by the feminine form of his ducal title -- HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

The royal family website is now updated :

The Royal Family
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also the page of the Prince of Wales:

The Prince of Wales - The Duchess of Cambridge
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Aristocracy

TRH, Prince and Princess William of Wales?

I was told by a friend that they are still are still Prince and Princess William of Wales but they were also given a Royal Duke ship (can't think of the correct word). I hope this is true and they can still use this though I doubt they will

I wish Kate and Will had declined the Duke title. It's so blah!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

To be given a Ducal title is an honour, William is now also an Earl and a Baron.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Catherine's title is as follows: HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

She is a princess by marriage, not by birth. However because William was made a peer on his wedding day, she will be known by the feminine form of his ducal title -- HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.
According to the website of the Prince of Wales, their new titles (in addition to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) are The Earl and Lady of Strathearn and The Baron and Countess of Carrickfergus.

Can anyone explain why so? You would think the counterpart for Earl would be Countess and for Baron it would be Baroness.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I think there's an error on the site. It should be Earl and Countess of Strathearn and Baron and Baroness/Lady Carrickfergus (no "of" in the latter).
Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

What so great about this or these titles? What makes this so perfect? I thought William did not care for titles? I am suprised he/they accepted this. It would have been more interesting making Kate a Princess, Princess William of Wales and if he remained Prince William.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7
What so great about this or these titles? What makes this so perfect? I thought William did not care for titles? I am suprised he/they accepted this. It would have been more interesting making Kate a Princess, Princess William of Wales and if he remained Prince William.
He's still Prince William and making Kate a princess in her own right would have been even more pompous. He needs a title, he is a future King.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post

Umm, she is Princess William. Her full title is HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

How many times has it been said on this board in relation to the giving/receiving of a dukedom, that you don't lose any titles, you gain them. He's still Prince William, she's now Princess William, just that he's a peer and will now be referred to by that peerage, as will she.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
William is the first son of a Prince of Wales to marry since Queen Victoria's reign. Victoria's two eldest male-line grandsons were created Royal Dukes and the British monarchy usually follows tradition in these matters.

Given The Queen's good health and his father's vigor, it could be 15 years before William becomes The Duke of Cornwall. It makes sense for him to have a Dukedom of his own in the meantime.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

They are as follows: TRH Prince and Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Earl and Countess of Strathearn, Baron and Baroness Carrickfergus. Because William was made a peer, he will now be known the senior most of those peerages, which is his ducal title. As his wife, she will be known by the feminine form of that title. So while they are still Prince and Princess William, they will be styled and referred to now as TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Which sounds damn regal.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles