Prince William Created Duke of Cambridge: April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how does this work will these titles follow when he will be prince of wales as his father becomes king?

from now on is he called the duke of cambridge and not prince william? i am a little bit confused.

how does this work will these titles follow when he will be prince of wales as his father becomes king?

Immediately upon Charles' accession, Prince William will become the Duke of Cornwall. Precedent indicates that he'll be known as HRH the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge.

from now on is he called the duke of cambridge and not prince william? i am a little bit confused.

He will always be HRH Prince William. You don't lose titles, you gain them. However like his father and uncles, he'll be known by his new title -- the Duke of Cambridge.

When Edward VII became King, his son became HRH The Duke of Cornwall and York. So when Charles becomes king, before he is invested as the Prince of Wales, William will be HRH The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge.

I am so happy! I love the new title!

Please let 2am PDT hurry up and get here!!!!!!

Immediately upon Charles' accession, Prince William will become the Duke of Cornwall. Precedent indicates that he'll be known as HRH the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge.

and were does wales come in to it all?

Great news. Excellent. William and Kate won the best everything.

and were does wales come in to it all?

William wouldn't become Prince of Wales until Charles chooses to create him Prince of Wales. (He'll continue to be the Duke of Cambridge, however, until his own accession when the title will merge with the crown.)

I just love that Catherine is going to be the Duchess of Cambridge. That just sounds so elegant, and so befitting a future Queen.

Sister Morphine said:
I just love that Catherine is going to be the Duchess of Cambridge. That just sounds so elegant, and so befitting a future Queen.

Will she wear the Lovers Knot now?

So Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton will, in less than 4 hours, become

Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

She'll by styled "HRH The Duchess of Cambridge"

From Bucklebury to Buckingham Palace!!!

Pretty cool.

Last edited:
So Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton will, in less than 4 hours, become

Her Royal Highness The Princess William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus.

She'll by styled "HRH The Duchess of Cambridge"

From Bucklebury to Buckingham Palace!!!

Pretty cool.

Small correction, she will be "HRH Princess William, etc".

"The Prince(ss)" is only used for the children of the monarch, and the wives of the sons of the monarch.

Small correction, she will be "HRH Princess William, etc".

"The Prince(ss)" is only used for the children of the monarch, and the wives of the sons of the monarch.

right you are of course!

thanks for catching my extra "The"

I like the new title Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

I'm not sure they'll be "of Wales" anymore. The territorial designations are an informal addition to titles that originally came about to differentiate similarly-named children within the large royal family of the 19th century; I'm not sure they get used once someone has a unique title.

HA....I knew it!! I love it!:ROFLMAO::flowers:

And just like Sister Morphine, I am partial to the Strathmore Rose..it's exquisite as you can see from my avatar.

Last edited:
I'm not sure they'll be "of Wales" anymore. The territorial designations are an informal addition to titles that originally came about to differentiate similarly-named children within the large royal family of the 19th century; I'm not sure they get used once someone has a unique title.

I believe they will not. I had already edited my original post to take "of Wales" out and also to remove the "The" before Princess.

I'm not sure if it will be "...Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus" or "...Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus".

We may have to wait to see the wording in the Letters Patent.

Hurrah!!! Cambridge is in East Anglia! So the main ducal titles are staying with the main heirs.

I believe they will not. I had already edited my original post to take "of Wales" out and also to remove the "The" before Princess.

I'm not sure if it will be "...Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus" or "...Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus".

We may have to wait to see the wording in the Letters Patent.

Either one would be correct, as I've seen similar titles worded just like that.

SisterMorphine, I'm going for the Strathmore Rose too. I hope like you I get 2 out of 2 as I also thought Cambridge. I hope Catherine dos'nt wear the Cambridge Tiara today, I think it's too" heavy" for her.

Duke of Cambridge... WOW, I didin't expected it to be honest but I'm glad that the Queen granted them in this way. Titles connected with Scotland and N.Ireland are great.

I love the new title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom