Prince William Appointed as the 1,000th Knight of the Garter: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting news that he is to be appointed one, a nd probably comes at a good time for Prince William as it will take away the spotlight on the RAF incident for a few days.

Last edited:
Im very Happy for him id say Henry will be next after he gets that medal

Good for him and I am looking forward to see him attend this year's ceremony. I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.

So many surprises to see the name list of Knights and Ladies for the Order of Garter!

Good for William on getting the knighthood.

Last edited:
William's going to be outstanding in his Garter robes!

Good for him and I am looking forward to see him attend this year's ceremony. I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.

So many surprises to see the name list of Knights and Ladies for the Order of Garter!

I think William falls into a different category than Sir Edmund - so even after William is appointed there will be one more opening for a new knight.

It was just today, ysbel and I slightly touched on the issue of who next would be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter. There was some talk of the former Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, being created a Knight. but whether or not that is still possible I'm not sure.

Personally I don't find the former PM worthy of it so here's hoping someone within the UK is appointed.

Five personal jaunts?!? :shock:

:ermm: I wonder if The Queen really believes this is a good time to be giving William the Order of the Garter?

Personally I don't find the former PM worthy of it so here's hoping someone within the UK is appointed.

I think he's more worthy of it than William.

ETA I might add that I also think Hugh Grant's more worthy of it than William.

Last edited:
Five personal jaunts?!? :shock:

:ermm: I wonder if The Queen really believes this is a good time to be giving William the Order of the Garter?

I think they followed a schedule -a slow kind of paving the way for William into the job of a fully working Senior Royal. And it was just an unfortunate coincidence that these stories hit the media just now. I guess it was planned that he would received his wings in all honour - thus showing he has earned something on his own account and as a next step he would get the garter as the heir of the heir. Who could have foreseen that this RAF-stint would end on such an embarrassing note?

They really should have sent William as an intern into a PR company instead of sending to learn how to fly with the RAF - he obviously has no idea of how to life as an honorable officer and gentleman. So maybe he could have learned how to omit PR faux passes instead?:D

I think he's more worthy of it than William.

ETA I might add that I also think Hugh Grant's more worthy of it than William.

More worthy of it than the Queen's own grandson and second in line to inherit? That's an interesting view but each to their own. Sooner or later he would have been created a Knight, so now is as good a time as any.

Yeah I can't wait to see him to wear the robe.. I hope he will look good..

I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.

No, members of the Royal Family are generally 'supernumary' members of the Order. That is to say, their numbers don't officially count.

Yeah I can't wait to see him to wear the robe.. I hope he will look good..

I think we can all agree that he would look good in a burlap sack.

He was technically appointed at age 9, as the Prince of Wales is automatically a member, and he was created PoW in July 1958.

Inevitable but I really don't think this looks good at all at the moment. A reward for embarrassing the family? There were more deserving candidates in the RF to give this honour to.

Congratulations to William, I guess. Unfortunate timing however!

Nothing surprising here. Both Prince William and Prince Harry will become a Knights of the Garter sooner or later... I agree with BeatrixFan and Amelia...The recent deeds of Prince William may cast a little shadow over his appointment.

I Dont think so really So will he do anything today St George Day in reguards to the appointment??

The timing is unfortunate. I would imagine it has something to do with him being the 1,000th. Its the only reason I could see him being honored so early.

I Dont think so really So will he do anything today St George Day in reguards to the appointment??
It has undoubtedly cast a shadow over his appointment, IMO and many on the various forums and comments in many of the papers. Very few celebrate St. Georges Day, this is the 1st year the English flag has been hung outside No. 10, so hopefully this might change, but Wm has performed no public honouring of St George.

I celebrate the flag but not George, as I don't agree with slaying dragons! :lol::whistling:

I am happy for William but personally I think Harry deserves it more.

Nothing surprising here. Both Prince William and Prince Harry will become a Knights of the Garter sooner or later... I agree with BeatrixFan and Amelia...The recent deeds of Prince William may cast a little shadow over his appointment.

Well said, and I agree. I don't think anyone's surprised by this appointment, and obviously it had to happen, since William is the Queen's grandson and the future King after his father, but I don't think he's done anything particularly worthwhile to deserve this honour, especially lately.

Well said, and I agree. I don't think anyone's surprised by this appointment, and obviously it had to happen, since William is the Queen's grandson and the future King after his father, but I don't think he's done anything particularly worthwhile to deserve this honour, especially lately.
Agree. Become a KG only becouse is a future King and grandson of the present Queen... Btw comparing why not Harry he was in Iraq and fight... Will was only in UK.

The monarchy is not an institution based on election, so it is obvious that there are a LOT of people who deserve the Garter better than Prince William, but they were not fortunate enough to be the first-born of the Prince of Wales. He is 25 now, so I guess that it was high time he got it. Royals are "extra" knights thus not in the same category as the other 26 knights. I'm sure that he will try his best to serve his country and monarch and one day will become himself a responsable monarch.

The monarchy is not an institution based on election, so it is obvious that there are a LOT of people who deserve the Garter better than Prince William, but they were not fortunate enough to be the first-born of the Prince of Wales. He is 25 now, so I guess that it was high time he got it. Royals are "extra" knights thus not in the same category as the other 26 knights. I'm sure that he will try his best to serve his country and monarch and one day will become himself a responsable monarch.

What about Camilla? What about Birgitte? What about Katherine? All far more deserving as active full-time Royals (or have been in Katherine's case) than William.

Agree. Become a KG only becouse is a future King and grandson of the present Queen... Btw comparing why not Harry he was in Iraq and fight... Will was only in UK.

Ouch.;) A little less deserving then?

Back
Top Bottom