Prince William and His Work as a Helicopter Pilot

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sheeesh. Nothing like gawkers at the scene of an emergency. The video was totally harmless and probably quite a distance from where the emergency personnel were trying to work but it still totally amazes me that with a simple cell phone, something can be broadcast around the world in seconds.

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The @EastAngliAirAmb is marking #NAAW2016 with a @BBC_Future project offering a look ‘Inside the trauma team where Prince William works’.

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The Duke of Cambridge is featured alongside his @EastAngliAirAmb team mates in the interactive @BBC_Future project.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/778106603371462676

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The @BBC_Future multi-media offers an in-depth look at the @EastAngliAirAmb team and technology they use
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/778110200913985536

The Duke: "When I put my air ambulance hat on, and I come here and I fly, I’m one of the team.” #NAAW2016
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/778113543145197569

The Duke feels privileged to work with the Air Ambulance Service #NAAW2016
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/778116674524512260

“It’s effectively bringing a hospital to the casualty” - The Duke on the role of the @EastAngliAirAmb #NAAW2016
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/778118196767383552

BBC - Future - Inside the trauma team where Prince William is a pilot

Prince William on 'sad and dark moments' - BBC News

William about being part of a team

I really enjoyed listening to this fragment. The easy with his teammates is obvious and real.
And for those that wondered, apparently he is still using William Wales as his name, not Cambridge.

I really enjoyed listening to this fragment. The easy with his teammates is obvious and real.
And for those that wondered, apparently he is still using William Wales as his name, not Cambridge.

He only use 'William Wales' for work. He's been under that name since he entered the military. He's no longer Prince William of Wales though.

Even used it before the military, used it at St Andrews too.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Delightful video. Rubbishes the idea that he is some kind of elitist who can't stand many people, does not like to work. :flowers:

Even used it before the military, used it at St Andrews too.

Naturally, as he was Prince William of Wales at the time. Now he uses it for work. I think it's why people get confused on his name. He continues to use it for work, although he's no longer Prince William of Wales, since April 2011.

Lovely interviews.

Great video of William talking about his job think he will find it hard to leave when the time comes.

I do agree that his camaraderie with the team is obvious and real. William strikes me as the type of person who enjoys being involved in a team or group activity be it professional or recreational.

Yeah, I notice he pointed out the lack of team spirit in royal life. That could change if the Cambridge and Wales family got together and conducted some family engagements often.

Oh, I like that idea, Dman. Seems like the only time we see the family together is at very formal events. It would be nice if they did a few less formal group appearances, like some of the European royals. I always like it when we see Will, Kate and Harry together.

:previous: Well, getting together for meals or to be photographed is not teamwork. It usually more ritual than anything else.
True "teamwork" is pulling together personalities, strengths, weaknesses and accomplishing something where the net result is greater than the sum of the parts. There is more than a bit of a need to set oneself aside for the good of others in the team.
I agree that the family defers to elders. And that they vaguely support one another. And that they all hold the good of the family as a top priority. But the greatest challenge for any team with a lot of strong willed persons in it, or where there is a given pecking order, is to set that aside. I imagine being the team building consultant for this family, and frankly, I break down into giggles. :cool:
Anyway, off topic.

Teamwork is very essential in the work William is doing with EAAA. You not only have to rely on your team but you also have to know exactly what is going on with all members of the team. Each person has their specific job to do and there's times when one has to instinctively know when to step outside of the box and assist a team mate.

Especially in a situation where its a matter of life or death and split second decisions have to be made.

With all the different indications of William doing more and more working for the firm, the talk of moving back to London and Apt. 1A and enrolling George in a nearby school, I would think that the air ambulance work is drawing to a close. The passing of patronages from HM and the DoE down the line signifies a transition to me also.

We knew it wasn't going to be something that he'd continue doing for many years and the time has come to do what he's been slated to do since he was born pretty much. I think they'll always treasure the time they were able to live peacefully at Anmer with their small children but they also feel they're ready to step up and become more active in the family business.

Donations from businesses to the East Anglian Air Ambulance trebled in a year after the Duke of Cambridge started working for the charity as a pilot.

Accounts show that corporate donations have risen from £55,101 in 2015 to £163,082 in 2016 thanks to what is being described as the Prince William effect.

The increase shows that more companies have wanted to become involved with the charity since the Duke began working at its Cambridge base in July 2015.
Read more: The Prince William effect: East Anglian Air Ambulance donations trebled after Duke of Cambridge became pilot

This is a very good indication of just why the British royals can and do make a difference. These corporations aren't donating to the EAAA just because William happens to be working as a pilot for them but because William is working for EAAA and is also royal, there is far more publicity about the agency he works for put out there in the mainstream that draws attention to the service and the need to have backers helping out. The more people reached, the more likely people will know more about organizations and services that need support. In a round about way, William used his royal position in a different manner.

Even if it was to be only for a short period of time, William's work with EAAA not only put the future king into a position of being in service to the people but it also drew attention to a service that every citizen may need one day and the importance to secure that the service remains available.

A win-win situation the did a lot of good.

Head of school Donna Lees said: “It was very exciting to meet the crew of the East Anglia Air Ambulance, particularly Prince William.

“He was both charming and very professional.

“They explained their role to us and allowed us to take photographs of the helicopter, which we will be sharing with the children during assembly.”

Aaron Chesham, 19, from Southend, is an aircraft enthusiast and was in the area to snap some pictures of the ambulance landing.

The Southend United steward said: “Unfortunately, I didn’t get to meet Prince William because it was in the school premises.

“But I climbed up the fence to get a picture and there he was.
Read more: Prince William lands in school playing field to assist man suffering from cardiac arrest (From Basildon Standard)

A critically ill man has died in hospital following a rescue mission involving air ambulance pilot Prince William.

Police were called to an address in Townsend Close, Barkway, Hertfordshire at 9am on April 4 over concerns for the welfare of the man.

An ambulance crew, two rapid response vehicles, ambulance officer and East Anglian Air Ambulance were dispatched to attend the scene.

Prince William, a helicopter pilot for the East Anglia Air Ambulance, was part of the response and landed his aircraft near the Tally Ho pub in the village.
Read more: Critically ill man dies in hospital despite rescue effort involving Prince William - Cambridge News

A 16-year-old boy drowned while out swimming on the hottest day of the year so far.

The teenager got into trouble in a lake at the Lee Valley Park in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire yesterday evening. Prince William was among the emergency crew who tried to rescue him.

The Duke of Cambridge was scrambled to pilot an Air Ambulance helicopter to the country park after the emergency services were alerted.

After an hour long search the body of a boy was pulled from the water. Tragically he was pronounced dead at the scene, the first person this year to drown while out swimming in the recent spell of hot weather.

Videos taken at the scene show The Duke of Cambridge landing his helicopter, and then walking towards the scene at around 8.00pm on Thursday.
Read more: Prince William flies air ambulance to try to save teenager who drowned on hottest day of the year

Prince William is set to complete his final air ambulance pilot shift before taking taking up royal duties full-time.

The Duke of Cambridge will step behind the gears for the last time on Thursday evening when he finishes a night shift with the East Anglian Air Ambulance.

His installation as a full-time royal will coincide with grandfather Prince Philip's retirement from public engagements.
Read more: Prince William prepares for final pilot shift ahead of full-time royal duty - ITV News

Before joining EAAA, William spent three years piloting Sea King search and rescue missions out of RAF Valley on Anglesey, undertaking 156 operations and rescuing 149 people.

Patrick Peal, EAAA's chief executive, said: "William has been an integral part of the team for the past two years. He is not only a fantastic pilot, but a much loved and valued member of the crew; he will be truly missed by everyone at EAAA.

"As one would expect, there has been a lot of excitement surrounding William and his work with the charity. To us, he has simply been another hard-working member of the team; one of eleven highly respected pilots who help us to save hundreds of lives each year."
Read more: Prince William starts last day as air ambulance pilot - Daily Post

Last edited:
Read more: Prince William prepares for final pilot shift ahead of full-time royal duty - ITV News

His installation as a full-time royal will coincide with grandfather Prince Philip's retirement from public engagements.

/QUOTE]

Personally, I've always thought this was the general plan-to have William and Kate become more active only when the senior (older) royals began to step back.

I believe the "gap year" William had after he left the RAF was partly the result of all the ill health Philip, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra suffered from in 2013. I don't think the Way Ahead Group wanted William to have any firm commitments so he could step up if needed.

Remember, Philip fell ill, had surgery and disappeared for awhile. I have my suspicions about what was going on. I think they all weren't sure how much of a recovery Philip would make and wanted William available if needed.

Back
Top Bottom