Prince William and His Work as a Helicopter Pilot

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that photo set of Wills with a patient in the Daily Mail cost £500 if used since they left that info in the caption. Wonder how Kate or the kids go for money wise?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Moving a patient with a suspected spinal injury is tricky work so it's fortunate that there were enough trained hands to help with the transport to the hospital.

:previous: Oh dear, the PR people seem to have decided that flying a SAR Helicopter does not provide enough 'visuals' for photographers to laud his daring do, regardless of the incredible skill required to carry out such rescues. So now they are turning William into "Super Willie", there's nothing he cannot do. From flying to working with the patients.

On a normal day, William would not have been seen unless the medical ground crew were horrendously understaffed and needed help with the stretcher, a situation that is pretty far fetched save for a national disaster. And since he's pushing the gurney it would seems the crew of a SAR helicopter is overstaffed with an optional, and therefore unnecessary, co-pilot!

Don't they know that this sort of publicity is negative, that it lauds William's compassion and deep commitment at the expense of the people that actually carry out those duties with their own unique and hard-earned qualifications and deep commitment?

I'm certainly not buying what they are trying to sell!

:previous: Oh dear, the PR people seem to have decided that flying a SAR Helicopter does not provide enough 'visuals' for photographers to laud his daring do, regardless of the incredible skill required to carry out such rescues. So now they are turning William into "Super Willie", there's nothing he cannot do. From flying to working with the patients.

On a normal day, William would not have been seen unless the medical ground crew were horrendously understaffed and needed help with the stretcher, a situation that is pretty far fetched save for a national disaster. And since he's pushing the gurney it would seems the crew of a SAR helicopter is overstaffed with an optional, and therefore unnecessary, co-pilot!

Don't they know that this sort of publicity is negative, that it lauds William's compassion and deep commitment at the expense of the people that actually carry out those duties with their own unique and hard-earned qualifications and deep commitment?

It looks like both pilots were helping? Or perhaps just Will & another member of the crew? Plus the other staff.

The entire article is extremely confusing to me as they seem to contradict themselves in every other sentence, but I don't follow his air ambulance career closely enough. I mean, if the man was greatly comforted by William's presence, then I can buy him being asked to stick around, but I don't know their protocols.

I don't think there's anything malicious or whatever in this, though. But I don't find the need to find a negative in everything somebody does.

So if William isn't seen working, he must be at home with his feet up loafing around and that is awful and bad, but if he is seen at work helping a patient, that means he's pandering to the press and is also awful and bad.

Got it. Good logic there, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The patient had a suspected pelvic fracture (and by definition, spinal injury) and they were transferring the guy to another gurney. Transfers like that need all hands on deck. Any time I have been involved in a transfer like that we utilized every one. Including the pilots, who were trained to assist. I don't see this as some PR stunt. I see it as a pilot helping out the team which is his job.

Thank you Macrobug for sharing your own professional experience regarding today's article. It appears that the patient had the the appropriate and necessary care for his injury.

Yeah, that was the explanation I got as well, that spinal injuries need all hands on deck for transfers. And I doubt William would have gone into the ambulance if he was needed in the helicopter. Maybe they needed to stay put for 30 minutes because of protocol (I don't know how stuff like that work but I assume there are alot of guidelines for flying time) or it was time for their break and he skipped it, or a thousand other explanations. It's highly unlikely that he just left the helicopter there when he was actually needed. Also, it's not wierd that he helped. He IS trained to assist in situations like this. That is the reason why they are trained in basic medical skills, so that everyone on the helicopter can be used in medical situations.

I'm going to jump on board and agree with those that posted that in this kind of a situation, William was definitely needed. When there is an injury with suspected spinal injury, it is absolutely crucial that the patient is moved as level as they possibly can. Usually its 2-4 people on either side with one person at the head who is in "command". Lifting and moving the patient in concert (a cervical collar and head blocks will also be very much in place and the patient secured with spider straps) saves the spine from any further pressure or damage. This is one reason one never moves an injured person. You wait until experienced personnel arrive.

Its my experience that no matter what position a person has on a rescue team (such as Will being the pilot), all personnel are required to have at least the basic level of training in what to do in an emergency situation. The press wasn't too far off the mark either with stating that Will was comforting the patient. One very important aspect of rescue work is to realize that you're working with an injured and most likely, a very afraid and disorientated person and you do try to soothe the person as best that you can along with relating step by step what you are doing.

You are funny. Pilots help out all the time. Nothing to do with PR. EAAA pilots take dedicated 999-response training

A spokesperson for the East of England Air Ambulance said pilots often chipped in to help with patients.

"Generally the crews try to be as helpful to each other as possible", she said.

"Once the pilots have finished their job of flying they might carry things or help unload passengers, so it's nothing unusual.

"Their main focus is to land the aircraft safely, but the clinical crews and the pilots work very closely together."
Read more: Duke of Cambridge Prince William helps comfort injured patient at Addenbrooke's | Cambridge News

Last edited:
A helicopter is all about weight. If they didn't need a co pilot then they wouldn't have one. Less the pilot weight is more fuel or equipment. The copilot isn't just sitting there waiting just in case the pilot drops dead or has a heart attack. They have a purpose.

The Sea Kings can hover in place allowing for the winchman to be lowered down to a ship or mountain side. One of the co pilots job is to help keep the helicopter in place. The pilot/co pilot is more about who is in command of the aircraft not one doing all of the flying.

The BBC Wales did a tv show about the SAR team at RAF Valley.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-22062139

All the photos are PR in a bid to stop the workshy stories.

On February 24th, he was photography trying to refuel the helicopter except all it showed was he clearly was not proficient as he needed help to untangle the cables.

End of February/beginning of March on vacation in France.

On March 21st, he is photographed under and around the helicopter.

On March 23rd, he is photographed 'comforting' a patient.

March 24th, start his vacation to Kenya.

No matter what time of day or location a camera seems to be conveniently there to capture the moment. Is someone tipping off a friendly press photographer?

Last edited by a moderator:
The photos were taken on the 22nd, for the record: https://www.eaaa.org.uk/missions/22-march-wisbech-cambridgeshire/

While it's possible that this was PR for William, I find it interesting that people never seem to ascribe agency to anyone other than William. It's also good for the charity to have a photographer on site, since it raises the profile of EAAA. Yet that's never accounted for.

In this case, the charity is in a much better position to actually notify a photographer than a pilot who's on the move (and who doesn't know what he'll be facing on any given mission). The logistics of William phoning his press people to notify the photog seem... complicated. He goes out, the doctor determines what happened and that the patient needs to be flown back, and then they head back. Where in there does William have time to set up a photography session? He undoubtedly calls back to dispatch to notify that they're going to the hospital. So doesn't it seem more likely that -- if the photog is being tipped off -- someone from EAAA called the photog?

William (and Kate) aren't the only people who have motives, though they're often talked of as if they are.

Last edited:
All members of all royal families use positive photo ops for good PR. Not sure why its seen as negative when it deals with William. Also there were multiple photos and stories of William doing rescue work way before the whole "workshy" fiasco. Its not like these pictures randomly stared showing up.

All members of all royal families use positive photo ops for good PR. Not sure why its seen as negative when it deals with William. Also there were multiple photos and stories of William doing rescue work way before the whole "workshy" fiasco. Its not like these pictures randomly stared showing up.
Very true. These post happened all the time before that. Just that they were in the local newspapers or pictures posted on social media. It's now after the workshy image that it's picked up by national papers. The new interest on William might also lead to the media looking more for these pictures. So yes, it might be William or his team setting it up. But it might also be EAAA or papers themselves.

i always think pics of him working...are a huge security problem...

It no different than announcing an engagement ahead of time. He is safer at his job because of the randomness of the locations being flown to, not set scheduling of shifts and airports would have security systems than he is on a horse riding down the Mall for Trooping the Colour.

A helicopter is all about weight. If they didn't need a co pilot then they wouldn't have one. Less the pilot weight is more fuel or equipment. The copilot isn't just sitting there waiting just in case the pilot drops dead or has a heart attack. They have a purpose.

The Sea Kings can hover in place allowing for the winchman to be lowered down to a ship or mountain side. One of the co pilots job is to help keep the helicopter in place. The pilot/co pilot is more about who is in command of the aircraft not one doing all of the flying.

The BBC Wales did a tv show about the SAR team at RAF Valley.

Prince William in new Helicopter Rescue TV series - BBC News
You will get no argument from me! The piloting of rescue helicopters takes skill and guts and, being ex-military, I have always believed that the most exacting and skillful flying is done by helicopter crews. That is why gratuitous photos of William 'refueling a helicopter' and 'comforting patients' demeans both he and his fellow aircrew with its implication that the job they really do isn't important enough.

As to these photos being not staged, I cry foul. There is no way that photographers have access to helicopter landing zones for flight safety reasons alone and if that isn't good enough, how about security reasons. If the articles were not ignoring the work of the medics and ground crew I would have thought they were instigated by the charity itself.

If you were told that someone was working 20 hours a week for a charity (and some of it difficult work), I bet you would all say well done!

Some of you may think 20 hours isn't enough but that does not negate that William is putting in time, unpaid, for a charity.

Kudos.

So if William isn't seen working, he must be at home with his feet up loafing around and that is awful and bad, but if he is seen at work helping a patient, that means he's pandering to the press and is also awful and bad.

Got it. Good logic there, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As always, certain people just need to be negative in regards to William and his wife. I bet if he single-handedly saved a life, there would be complaints that he purposely took the spotlight. How ridiculous can it get. He helps save lives. That's admirable. I doubt he asks for his good deeds to be publicized, so as far as he's concerned, being photographed while on the job is a nuisance to him as well as the rest of the people involved.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Some think the photos was published as PR leading up to the Kenya Trip. I have no idea if there's any truth to that.

You will get no argument from me! The piloting of rescue helicopters takes skill and guts and, being ex-military, I have always believed that the most exacting and skillful flying is done by helicopter crews. That is why gratuitous photos of William 'refueling a helicopter' and 'comforting patients' demeans both he and his fellow aircrew with its implication that the job they really do isn't important enough.

As to these photos being not staged, I cry foul. There is no way that photographers have access to helicopter landing zones for flight safety reasons alone and if that isn't good enough, how about security reasons. If the articles were not ignoring the work of the medics and ground crew I would have thought they were instigated by the charity itself.

The Google Street View truck has access to the road that leads to the helicopter pad, and you can see it on Street View. Anyone on the Addenbrooke car park 2 would get pretty much exactly the shots that the photographer did. https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.1719498,0.1386237,315m/data=!3m1!1e3

In fact, here's a youtube video that a random (judging by his channel) air ambulance enthusiast uploaded of an air ambulance landing at Addenbrookes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZ5yYscAPM

Last edited:
The main source of the pictures appears to be local press. So he will get photographed and then the local chap sells them to the nationals. Just how it works as locally accidents and use of (any) air ambulance is news.

As always, certain people just need to be negative in regards to William and his wife. I bet if he single-handedly saved a life, there would be complaints that he purposely took the spotlight. How ridiculous can it get. He helps save lives. That's admirable. I doubt he asks for his good deeds to be publicized, so as far as he's concerned, being photographed while on the job is a nuisance to him as well as the rest of the people involved.

I am, by no mean, claiming that I know the ins and outs of how EAAA works but one thing I can stress is that in order to be effective, those that work together on a call, must work as a team. That team also includes the helicopters that they use. After the helicopter returns to base, the work isn't done yet. Refueling is part of the job as you want the helicopter to be in prime condition and ready for the next call. There is also an inventory taken most likely to replace any medical supplies that may have been used en route to the hospital and and the gurney used stripped, disinfected and made up again with fresh linens. There are reports to be written up in detail and filed. As my EMT trainer would say, "if it isn't written down, you didn't do it".

By no means is this a job for those seeking fame and glory for their deeds. Lives are on the line and split second timing can make all the difference. When the alarm goes off to signal a call, everyone must be ready to fly in a split second and get off the pad as soon as possible. You need to know that the helicopter is in top shape for the mission whether it is your crew that previously flew it or a different crew. You come to depend on each member of your crew to do their best. It is a demanding job and very stressful.

It takes a certain type of a person to do this kind of work and to do it because one wants to be of service and do it on a volunteer basis while donating his paycheck to charity deserves more than just kudos. To me it shows the character of the man and earns my respect.

Some nice quotes

...Jim Schembri was knocked unconscious by a falling branch as he worked 20ft up a tree in a garden in Waterbeach.

The 37-year-old, who served with the Light Infantry, said he had no idea it was the future king who was treating him.

"...I still didn't twig that it was Prince William and we joked around, exchanging military banter for about half an hour", he said.

"When they loaded me into the helicopter I said 'William had better not be flying this' and he said 'I've been holding your head for the last half an hour. I was totally shocked."

"...He had a very calm demeanour and there was no flapping. He was extremely good at his job", he said.

"I jokingly asked him to come and visit me in hospital and he laughed, we just had a good banter.

"I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. He gets a lot of grief for no reason.

"He seemed to work well with the rest of the team and really got involved."

"I want to say a huge thank you to William and the rest of the team, I'd like to shake his hand."
Duke of Cambridge Prince William shared 'military banter' as he comforted injured former soldier | Cambridge News

Rudolph, hernameispekka, Osipi, Skippyboo, hel, DanyT, cepe, and Daria_S you are all being way too logical and rational. No wonder you’re blind to the truth.

You have to look at it from a different angle, then you’ll see It all screams staged.

This poor man was clearly selected at random by William and Miguel Head. They waited until William was on call - so it was a six-month wait - then they staged their crime. The victim was minding his own business up a tree and then Miguel Head, using his ninja/monkey skills, scaled the tree and then shoved Mr. Schembri out. Being the crafty, criminal masterminds they are, Miguel was wearing a plush, squirrel costume; so he completely blended in with the scenery, and none of the passerbys took notice of him.

William then gallantly flew out his helicopter to the ‘rescue’. Of course, local media was already on the scene because Miguel had anonymously e-mailed them, telling them the location if they wanted to see unparalleled heroics. It was a success! William got press. We all know he is an attention wh*re, who freaks out if his face and name isn’t in the media everyday. He wasn’t angry at the paparazzi for chasing his mother to her death, and ruthlessly stalking Catherine and his children. He's angry that they aren’t photographing him enough!

It’s no coincidence that his self-made heroics came during Harry’s tour (aka the tour of the millennium), because William does not share the spotlight . It’s not a coincidence that Mr. Schembri is former military, William can’t let Harry have the injured solider glory. It’s also not a coincidence that William and Miguel traveled to Kenya immediately after the crime. They publicly claim the reason was for Jecca’s wedding and conservation work, but the real reason is they’re biding their time to make sure they won’t be charged with aggravated battery and conspiracy. If the police become savvy enough to see that this crime was staged, then Africa becomes the perfect hideout. Many of the countries don’t have extradition deals with the UK.

We can only cross our fingers that William and Miguel will face justice someday for their crimes. Until then we can expect more mayhem and mischief at the expense of innocent taxpayers.:shock::devil:

Last edited:
Miss Whirley, I think you missed a step. William on the back of elephant that he got Harry to train last spring crashes Jecca's wedding a la Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate snaps Jecca before she completes her vows to begin their lives as the Bonnie and Clyde of Africa. Leaving the crown, Kate and the kids behind. ?

And to add insult to injury, its been reported also that before fleeing to Africa in the dead of night, on his way to the airport, William made sure to stash all the corgis' treats in the Queen's handbag which he them promptly hid in an undisclosed location to be revealed only if and when he is granted full pardon, an estate in each and every commonwealth country and 45 identical blue suits.

Oh sheesh. I think we've just gotten a good glimpse into the lives of the writers at the Daily Fail. :D

Rudolph, hernameispekka, Osipi, Skippyboo, hel, DanyT, cepe, and Daria_S you are all being way too logical and rational. No wonder you’re blind to the truth.

You have to look at it from a different angle, then you’ll see It all screams staged.

This poor man was clearly selected at random by William and Miguel Head. They waited until William was on call - so it was a six-month wait - then they staged their crime. The victim was minding his own business up a tree and then Miguel Head, using his ninja/monkey skills, scaled the tree and then shoved Mr. Schembri out. Being the crafty, criminal masterminds they are, Miguel was wearing a plush, squirrel costume; so he completely blended in with the scenery, and none of the passerbys took notice of him.

William then gallantly flew out his helicopter to the ‘rescue’. Of course, local media was already on the scene because Miguel had anonymously e-mailed them, telling them the location if they wanted to see unparalleled heroics. It was a success! William got press. We all know he is an attention wh*re, who freaks out if his face and name isn’t in the media everyday. He wasn’t angry at the paparazzi for chasing his mother to her death, and ruthlessly stalking Catherine and his children. He's angry that they aren’t photographing him enough!

It’s no coincidence that his self-made heroics came during Harry’s tour (aka the tour of the millennium), because William does not share the spotlight . It’s not a coincidence that Mr. Schembri is former military, William can’t let Harry have the injured solider glory. It’s also not a coincidence that William and Miguel traveled to Kenya immediately after the crime. They publicly claim the reason was for Jecca’s wedding and conservation work, but the real reason is they’re biding their time to make sure they won’t be charged with aggravated battery and conspiracy. If the police become savvy enough to see that this crime was staged, then Africa becomes the perfect hideout. Many of the countries don’t have extradition deals with the UK.

We can only cross our fingers that William and Miguel will face justice someday for their crimes. Until then we can expect more mayhem and mischief at the expense of innocent taxpayers.:shock::devil:

Miss Whirley, I think you missed a step. William on the back of elephant that he got Harry to train last spring crashes Jecca's wedding a la Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate snaps Jecca before she completes her vows to begin their lives as the Bonnie and Clyde of Africa. Leaving the crown, Kate and the kids behind. ?

And to add insult to injury, its been reported also that before fleeing to Africa in the dead of night, on his way to the airport, William made sure to stash all the corgis' treats in the Queen's handbag which he them promptly hid in an undisclosed location to be revealed only if and when he is granted full pardon, an estate in each and every commonwealth country and 45 identical blue suits.

Oh sheesh. I think we've just gotten a good glimpse into the lives of the writers at the Daily Fail. :D

I should know by now...Swallow first, then enter thread.

ROTFLOL!! Well Done you three!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom