Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a nice ring to it, but nobody really knows yet. It's all speculation at this stage.

The more I've thought about this and read about this, the more I am inclined to think that on April 29th William will be created the Duke of Cambridge. Along those lines and I think quite fitting, we will see Catherine wearing the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara. This tiara has a history on both sides of William's family. The current Lovers Knot tiara was made in 1913 for Queen Mary and in the Windsor family since then. QEII did give this tiara to Diana to wear but it was returned to Buckingham Palace at her death.

Cambridge is a very strong possibility. Perhaps Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Truro, Viscount Bucklebury.

IMHO, for some reason Cambridge sounds more "grand" and "important" than Sussex.

I agree. the name "Cambridge" has a certain cachet because of the university. It means "the bridge over the River Cam".

By comparison, the name Oxford means "a ford where cattle can cross" .......

Sussex is also not exciting - it means the South Saxons.

I think I read somewhere that the Duchy of Lancaster was being considered as a potential title, Duke and Duchess of Lancaster has a nice ring to it, although I must agree that Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also sound fitting.

Isn't the Queen herself the Duke of Lancaster?

Yes, the Queen is the Duke of Lancaster. The Duchy of Lancaster exists as a separate entity from the Crown Estate and currently provides income for the monarch. The Sovereign is styled as Duke of Lancaster, regardless of gender.

The actual dukedom (3rd Creation) became extinct with the death of Henry VI in 1471, because the original charter restricted it to 'heirs male'. Now it is an honorary title and royal style of the sovereign.

There is no way this title will be considered for Prince William and Catherine Middleton. When he succeeds to the crown, William will become the Duke of Lancaster anyway.. although Prince Charles will get it first, provided he outlives his mother.

Last edited:
Although I agree that Cambridge has a grand sound to it as a title for the couple, would it not be best to go for Sussex as to not get involved in the rivalry between Cambridge and Oxford?

Just because he would become to Duke of Cambridge, I don't see how he would be getting involved in the rivalry. It's a petty feud designed to motivate the graduates.
Is there an equivalent Duke of Oxford title?

There isn't a Duke of Oxford but there has been an Earl of Oxford - currently paired with the Earl of Asquith title for the descendents of the WW1 PM Lord Asquith - Earl of Oxford and Asquith.

There is no reason why there couldn't also be a Duke of Oxford but it is rare when there is a current Earldom to create a Duke of that title.

I'm sure Oxford University isn't going to mind if William becomes The Duke of Cambridge.

I would like William and Catherine to become the Duke and Duchess of the Royal County of Berkshire. As he is already the Ranger of Windsor Great Park (a position he took over from Prince Philip) and the second-in-line to inherit Windsor Castle and she is born IIRC in Berkshire or at least lved there for most of her life, this would be a very suitable title, IMHO.

That's what Wiki says about Berkshire: "

Berkshire is a historic county in the South East of England. It is also often referred to as the Royal County of Berkshire because of the presence of the royal residence of Windsor Castle in the county; this usage, which dates to the 19th century at least, was recognised by the Queen in 1958, and letters patent issued confirming this in 1974.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire#cite_note-0

I wouldn't be surprised if the press drops the 'William' and refers to her as 'Princess of Wales', much like Diana was called. Camilla's not using the title although she's entitled to it.

The press makes mistakes, but that kind of mistake would be caught.

If the Queen opts to give William a title, I think Duke of Cambridge would be a nice nod to their family history since Queen Mary came from the Cambridge family.

However, the question remains whether William would get a dukedom at all on his marriage. While it's been traditional for a very long time, we've seen the current royal family stepping away from that custom with Edward opting for an earldom and Anne rejecting any titles for her husband and children. The idea has been that not handing out titles will make the "royal" family smaller. However, William is second in line to the throne so he will always be an integral part of the royal family regardless of what title he has.

However, William is second in line to the throne so he will always be an integral part of the royal family regardless of what title he has.

Exactly.... he's close enough to the "top job" to merit a title AND close enough not to need one.

Why must everything be suspenseful?? :bang:

Duke of Cambrige Baron of Berkshire Viscount Cardiff

More likely, the Viscountcy or Barony would be Bucklebury or Berkshire, reflecting Kate's growing up there. I think the Earldom will reflect being next in-line to become Duke of Cornwall (Earl of Truro).

Cambridge makes the most sense if he is created a Duke, but The Queen could also create him Earl of Cambridge instead.

Queen Mary's brother was a Marquess of Cambridge, I believe. However, there were no male heirs to inherit the title. It could still be a possibility.

Royal wedding: Prince William asks the Queen not to make him a duke - Telegraph

The Queen faces a dilemma over what to call Kate Middleton after Prince William suggests that she should become 'Princess Catherine'.

Mandrake can disclose that the 28 year-old has, however, let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William rather than be made a duke.

"He says he was born Prince William and wants to continue to be known as that," says a courtier. "He wants Kate to become Princess Catherine."

If he has really asked the Queen to create Catherine a Princess in her own right then he is more obssessed with his title than I thought.

If she is to become Princess Catherine then new LPs will have to be issued and I suppose that will mean that Camilla, Sophie, Birgitte, Katherine and Marie-Christine of Kent will all have to become HRH Princess own name as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he has really asked the Queen to create Catherine a Princess in her own right then he is more obssessed with his title than I thought.

For me this reads more like he is obsessed with Catherine. After all the problems caused by his parent's divorce, I actually don't see it happen. If he really asked his grandmother, then it goes to show how much he loves Catherine. But I highly doubt that the queen will grant her the title of a princess. The British monarchy has a different tradition from other Royal Houses, a tradition based so deep in history and in society (think of the children of dukes or marquesses) that I don't think this queen will change that.

Plus it is a valuable point to mention Princess Michael - if Catherine becomes Princess Catherine on marrying the grandson of a queen, then she should become Princess Marie-Christine as wife of a grandson of a king.

As for staying "Prnce William" - his father was born "Prince Charles of Edinburgh", the became "The Prince Charles" and later "The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales". And all the world still call him just "Prince Charles". So even if the queen gives a dukedom to William, he will still be known as "Prince William".

Who is "Mandrake" that the author of this article is quoting?

Kataryn said:
For me this reads more like he is obsessed with Catherine.".

Or obsessed with protecting her, if this article is true. Which is sweet but also he does have to respect the history of the royal house too. If he did ask maybe it's because they are not planning to take royal duties too much yet so he doesn't want Catherine with a duchess title

If true, I doubt The Queen will accept this suggestion. If her two daughter-in-laws, as wives of sons of The Sovereign, are not permitted the style, I cannot imagine she will allow Catherine to assume it.

With respect some journalists, myself included, consider it almost a sacred duty, and certainly a responsibility to get things right.
I don't have the privilege of reporting on royalty but in covering hard news it is
Vital to get the facts straight, the quotes correct, and to remain as unbiased in my writing as possible.
Ones reputation can be made or
Broken as a result of ones accuracy.

I've read in British Royal Info that William his grandmother,the Queen,not to give the title of Duke or any other.Could it be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom