The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Nobility

Prince of Wales or alternate title for William?

As a thought experiment, let's assume for the moment that Skydragon's comment here is correct.

(Basically she said she doesn't think that Charles will create William PoW if things work out that way, out of deference to the Welsh people).

If Elizabeth predeceases Charles, William will automatically become Duke of Cornwall on Charles' Accession. So that's sorted. And he could just simply be created Prince William of the UK (&c &c), Duke of Cornwall (&c &c). (I'm not sure if he and Harry would continue to be 'of Wales', as their father's title from which they derive the territorial designation would have then Merged in the Crown).

But.. Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a bit of a mouthful, and isn't nearly as pithy as Prince of Wales.

What, then, could it be?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Hope he keeps it but just guessing Duke of Cardiff

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Seeing as Cardiff is in Wales, and he would already hold a ducal title (Cornwall), I'm thinking probably not?

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my ramblings. If Prince of Wales (as Skydragon proposes) isn't going to be conferred again, then William could end up being known as Prince of _______.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think if that happens (which I personally doubt will happen), he'll just abandon Prince of X and use Duke of Cornwall. Creating something new to replace something that ancient would just seem too artificial.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that "Prince of X" would be quite artificial as well, given that The Prince of Wales has been the title for centuries. I can't imagine The Prince of England (or as some careless reports have it, "Prince William of England."), The Prince of Britain (because that would exclude Northern Ireland), or the Prince of the British Isles (because the Republic of Ireland wouldn't like that). If anything, it would have to be "The Prince of the UK and Northern Ireland," and that's just cumbersome. Prince of the Commonwealth? No...because Prince Charles doesn't seem to be that interested in the Commonwealth and I can't see him giving William a title with that in it. Okay, I give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I think if that happens (which I personally doubt will happen), he'll just abandon Prince of X and use Duke of Cornwall. Creating something new to replace something that ancient would just seem too artificial.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Any reason why he couldn't just be Prince William? He'd also be Duke of Cornwall and all the rest of the list except Earl of Chester (I expect the people of Chester would survive the terrible blow...) He's automatically HRH Prince William by virtue of being the son of the sovereign, so why the need for the creation of a specific "Prince of..." title?

I suppose it's too much to hope that this actually happens. I think this business of having an English prince being called "Prince of Wales" is an insult to the Welsh people.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Nobility

I'm pretty certain I agree with you there, wbenson.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, the most logical thing would be that the prince does become prince of Wales in due time. Perhaps it will take some years as it did for George (V) when his father became king (allegedly because Queen Alexandra was attached to the title and didn't want to 'share' it).

In any case, i suppose the Duke of Rothersay would be the most senior title left if the 'prince of Wales' title would be dropped, though the anti-English sentiments should be even stronger in Scotland than in Wales.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Any reason why he couldn't just be Prince William? He'd also be Duke of Cornwall and all the rest of the list except Earl of Chester (I expect the people of Chester would survive the terrible blow...) He's automatically HRH Prince William by virtue of being the son of the sovereign, so why the need for the creation of a specific "Prince of..." title?

I suppose it's too much to hope that this actually happens. I think this business of having an English prince being called "Prince of Wales" is an insult to the Welsh people.
true elspeth true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, the most logical thing would be that the prince does become prince of Wales in due time. Perhaps it will take some years as it did for George (V) when his father became king (allegedly because Queen Alexandra was attached to the title and didn't want to 'share' it).

In any case, i suppose the Duke of Rothersay would be the most senior title left if the 'prince of Wales' title would be dropped, though the anti-English sentiments should be even stronger in Scotland than in Wales.
marengo, i know and understand why scotland should have anti english sentiments but the welsh are anti english and have been for centurys but these days we put up with them and just moan and grumble abit every so often we get our own way we are patriotic to the last and personaly i love wales to beat england at sport any time i would like william crowned prince of wales at some point in the future but not straight after charls has been crouned king
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
As a thought experiment, let's assume for the moment that Skydragon's comment here is correct.

(Basically she said she doesn't think that Charles will create William PoW if things work out that way, out of deference to the Welsh people).

If Elizabeth predeceases Charles, William will automatically become Duke of Cornwall on Charles' Accession. So that's sorted. And he could just simply be created Prince William of the UK (&c &c), Duke of Cornwall (&c &c). (I'm not sure if he and Harry would continue to be 'of Wales', as their father's title from which they derive the territorial designation would have then Merged in the Crown).

But.. Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a bit of a mouthful, and isn't nearly as pithy as Prince of Wales.

What, then, could it be?
There is no need to creat him a Prince of the United Kingdom of GRat Britain and Northern Ireland as he has this title already as all chuildren and grandchildren of a Monarch. he is only not styled as a OPrince of the UK, the same as his father who is styled Prince of Wales and his uncles who are styled Duke of York and Earl of Wesses.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes; I suggested THE Prince of the UK and Northern Ireland as opposed to mere Princes and Princesses of the UK and Northern Ireland. Still cumbersome though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is no need to creat him a Prince of the United Kingdom of GRat Britain and Northern Ireland as he has this title already as all chuildren and grandchildren of a Monarch. he is only not styled as a OPrince of the UK, the same as his father who is styled Prince of Wales and his uncles who are styled Duke of York and Earl of Wesses.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM

What about a Berkshire title? William, Prince of Berks.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Cheeky bugger :P

Quote:
the same as his father who is styled Prince of Wales and his uncles who are styled Duke of York and Earl of Wesses.
Not quite. 'Duke', 'Earl', 'Prince' are all titles. 'HRH' would be the style.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That wasn't quite what I said at all. This was my comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydragon
It could well be that the Prince of Wales title will end with Charles. He strikes me as the type of chap to take into account what the Welsh people want and there is every possibility that the Welsh will not want the title used by an Englishman again
Not that I don't think Charles will create William PoW, just trying to point out there are no guarantees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
It seems very fitting!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not quite. 'Duke', 'Earl', 'Prince' are all titles. 'HRH' would be the style.
In the UK, Prince/Princess of the UK is a style as well. Until raised to the peerage, the members of the royal family are commoners and their styles as Prince/Princess are simply a recognition of their place and precedence to The Sovereign and the throne. Once created Peers, they assume their titles as a Duke, Marquess, Earl, etc.

The only exception has traditionally been The Prince of Wales, which is considered to be a peerage, although it really is not, being a personal grant from The Sovereign.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
In the UK, Prince/Princess of the UK is a style as well. Until raised to the peerage, the members of the royal family are commoners and their styles as Prince/Princess are simply a recognition of their place and precedence to The Sovereign and the throne. Once created Peers, they assume their titles as a Duke, Marquess, Earl, etc.

The only exception has traditionally been The Prince of Wales, which is considered to be a peerage, although it really is not, being a personal grant from The Sovereign.
That explanation makes a lot of sense, branchg -- I guess that's why women who marry a Prince of the UK are Princess X of the UK, instead of Princess First Name (like Princess Michael of Kent)? And why, for example, Sophie Rhys-Jones would have just been Princess Edward of the UK on her marriage had the Queen not made Edward The Earl of Wessex?

The only thing that's tripping me up (I think, anyway) is the commoner/peer distinction. A person can be a prince or princess and still be a commoner?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
A person can be a prince or princess and still be a commoner?
Unless one possesses a title in the peerage, yes. E.g., 'duke' or 'earl'. Few members of the BRF are commoners. Beatrice and Eugenie are.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Without getting into an argument over definitions, the word "commoner" means different things to different people.

• For most, and in general usage, it means anyone who is not royal or aristocratic;
• Prince of Canada's usage as "one who doesn't possess a title in the peerage";
• The Concise Oxford Dictionary as "one of the common people, as opposed to the aristocracy";
• The Wiki as "one who is neither the Sovereign nor a peer";
• and, in a more jocular tone, Princess Marina's view of anyone who was not born of the blood royal.
No doubt there are others.

The more restrictive usages would class Princes William, Harry and Michael of Kent, and the Princess Royal, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York and Alexandra of Kent as commoners. Whether this makes sense or not depends entirely on the meaning one puts on the word "commoner".

We don't need to get bogged down in semantics or to split hairs, and in any case this thread is to discuss "Alternate title for William".
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Thanks, Warren, that makes sense. I'm used to the more general sense of the word, not the more specific ones.

To swing the thread back to its original topic, I remember reading that William will likely receive a dukedom (I think Cambridge was the one being speculated) on his wedding. If he does, maybe he'll just keep using that title if he is not invested as The Prince of Wales?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Courtier

The whole business of titles and styles totally confuses me but if they didn't want to continue using the 'Prince of Wales' title for the heir to the throne could they not do like they have in other countries and just call him 'Crown Prince'? Could he not be Duke of X, Crown Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

Tags
duke of cornwall, prince of wales, prince william, styles and titles