The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Quoted from iluvbertie: "If Harry were to marry before William I would expect William to get a Dukedom first anyway to have the older title."

I don't think Harry will be "allowed" to marry before William. It's a good way to control the distribution of titles. All the Queen's sons married in birth order. A coincidence --- perhaps.
Not really a coincidence at all. When Charles got married, Andrew was only 21 years of age and Edward was still a minor (17 years old).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
yes, they may be used as courtesy titles.
They cannot as these Earldoms are not hereditary in the Peerage.

Earl of Chester is granted by The Sovereign, together with Prince of Wales, to the male heir to the throne. Earl of Carrick is restricted to the eldest son and heir to the throne, along with the other titles automatically assumed. They cannot pass to a son or grandson, but can only pass by right of status or personal grant.

William and Harry are HRH Princes of the UK automatically in their own right and do not have any need for courtesy styles. They have their own titles which take precedence.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Quoted from iluvbertie: "If Harry were to marry before William I would expect William to get a Dukedom first anyway to have the older title."

I don't think Harry will be "allowed" to marry before William. It's a good way to control the distribution of titles. All the Queen's sons married in birth order. A coincidence --- perhaps.

Hardly a coincidence considering the age difference between Charles and his younger brothers and even the fact that there are four years between Andrew and Edward.

A better example would be the sons of George V which most definitely didn't marry in birth order - Duke of York, Duke of Kent, Duke of Gloucester, Duke of Windsor (at time of marriage) - so it went 2nd, 4th, 3rd and then 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Myself1995's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 237
I have to admit I still don't get their new titles - so is he no longer a prince and she not a princess? Or do they have these titles in addition to the new ones?
__________________
“You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.”
Queen Mary (consort of George V) quotes
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I have to admit I still don't get their new titles - so is he no longer a prince and she not a princess? Or do they have these titles in addition to the new ones?

The new title is in addition .
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I have to admit I still don't get their new titles - so is he no longer a prince and she not a princess? Or do they have these titles in addition to the new ones?

He most certainly is still a Prince and will remain a Prince until he becomes King.

Most of us here argue that as the wife of a prince she is now a princess but there is some discussion about that on another thread.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,440
i will bet my last doughnut and a banana to boot that the next title William gets that will make him smile is Daddy.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,486
This thought made me smile.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
i will bet my last doughnut and a banana to boot that the next title William gets that will make him smile is Daddy.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
Perhaps all these "musings" will be in vain.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are on a march towards freedom from the UK and England.

The three "devolved administrations" will gradually - or not so gradually - carve out their own route(s) to autonomy.

Goodbye, UK/England, and the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 7,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
i will bet my last doughnut and a banana to boot that the next title William gets that will make him smile is Daddy.
And what a worthy title to have!
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

He most certainly is still a Prince and will remain a Prince until he becomes King.

Most of us here argue that as the wife of a prince she is now a princess but there is some discussion about that on another thread.

Yes, the title of the 'Duke of Cambridge' is an added title bestowed on HRH Prince William of Wales. His new bride, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, is a princess but not in her own right because she was not born into royalty. Her official title is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess William of Wales. I had read this bit of information online right after the Duke and Duchess were married on April 29th of this year. If any of my facts are not correct, I know no one will hesitate to state otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
And what a worthy title to have!
I agree, from what I can see I think William will make a great father!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
This thought made me smile.
This thought made me a bit weepy.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Yes, the title of the 'Duke of Cambridge' is an added title bestowed on HRH Prince William of Wales. His new bride, HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, is a princess but not in her own right because she was not born into royalty. Her official title is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge, Princess William of Wales. I had read this bit of information online right after the Duke and Duchess were married on April 29th of this year. If any of my facts are not correct, I know no one will hesitate to state otherwise.

There is some confusion because an unnamed spokesman from BP has made the following statement:

Kate?s Only A Duchess, Not A Princess? Yet - Entertainment & Stars

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace told the media: "She [Kate] is not a princess in her own right. That title has not been conferred on her. Her title is that of duchess. So she is not Princess Catherine. And to call her Princess William of Wales is misleading."

Royal wedding: William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | UK news | guardian.co.uk

This is what has led to some confusion as it also implies that she isn't Princess William.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
NotHRH's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana, United States
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

There is some confusion because an unnamed spokesman from BP has made the following statement:

Kate?s Only A Duchess, Not A Princess? Yet - Entertainment & Stars

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace told the media: "She [Kate] is not a princess in her own right. That title has not been conferred on her. Her title is that of duchess. So she is not Princess Catherine. And to call her Princess William of Wales is misleading."

Royal wedding: William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge | UK news | guardian.co.uk

This is what has led to some confusion as it also implies that she isn't Princess William.

Iluvbertie,
Many thanx to you for providing the correct information about HRH the Duchess of Cambridge's official title. I knew that someone had the official information in their possession.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

Kate?s Only A Duchess, Not A Princess? Yet - Entertainment & Stars

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace told the media: "She [Kate] is not a princess in her own right. That title has not been conferred on her. Her title is that of duchess. So she is not Princess Catherine. And to call her Princess William of Wales is misleading."
Notice they said misleading, not wrong.....
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Notice they said misleading, not wrong.....

So true but of course she isn't Princess Catherine as she wasn't a princess born and the British stick to their traditions.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
Poor Kate ..... only a duchess ..... my heart goes out to her...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of cornwall, prince of wales, prince william, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Tudors and A "What If?" Alternate History Lenora British Royal History 56 06-11-2014 04:38 PM
Prince of Wales - Title, Succession and Wales Jo of Palatine British Royals 88 01-01-2014 08:59 AM
Wonder about Kate/William : title : Alice GML Member Introductions and Updates 5 12-08-2010 08:23 PM
Alternate succession methods to the British Crown nudge67 Royalty Past, Present, and Future 4 08-10-2008 04:47 AM




Popular Tags
belgium best outfit carl philip crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion fashion poll funeral germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg maxima official visit ottoman picture of the week poland president gauck president hollande president komorowski prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince henrik princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess mary princess mette-marit princess of asturias queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding willem-alexander



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]