The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And would you have a birthday party each year? Otherwise it could be rather expensive for parents to invite 20+ (or what would be a normal class size?) children to an event that they have to rent a venue or pay a recreation center for each year.

In addition, how many parties a year would you normally have? Going by a class size of 24, that would be 2 birthday parties a month (plus probably some siblings and other close family members' parties); or would they combine lots of parties (as in Hereditary Princess' example)?

How does Party Pieces play in to all of this? Is that for those renting a venue without any specific activity included?
What does Party Pieces have to do with miscellaneous children's birthday parties? George's birthday theme, probably, since his grandparents own the company.

And there is an awful lot of belief in a Daily Mail (via the Sun) article. I am taking it with a few grains of salt.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
What does Party Pieces have to do with miscellaneous children's birthday parties? George's birthday theme, probably, since his grandparents own the company.
I was just curious what role Party Pieces play in the British birthday party industry (and given the close connection it would be logical if the Cambridge's birthday parties make use of their products).

Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I was just curious what role Party Pieces play in the British birthday party industry (and given the close connection it would be logical if the Cambridge's birthday parties make use of their products).
Party Pieces sells supplies for parties-decorations, plates, napkins, etc. They don't rent venues. Their website is fun to browse, lots of themes.

And I would think people would need more supplies for a party at home or in a park than they would for a party in a bowling alley, trampoline park, McDonalds, a pizza parlor or hotel pool, so I imagine for Party Pieces' bottom line a home party would be their preference.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Party Pieces sells supplies for parties-decorations, plates, napkins, etc. They don't rent venues. Their website is fun to browse, lots of themes.

And I would think people would need more supplies for a party at home or in a park than they would for a party in a bowling alley, trampoline park, McDonalds, a pizza parlor or hotel pool, so I imagine for Party Pieces' bottom line a home party would be their preference.
Ok, looks like you misunderstood (or I explained badly). I am aware that they srll party pieces and don't offer venues for rent, I wondered whether their target group is parents renting venues with no activities included. The impression was given that no home parties were given in Britain, so I wondered who their many customers would be if everyone went to an outside venue as in most cases I would think that those venues would take care of decoration and activities.

So, looks like the impression that home parties are no longer customary, was incorrect, which brings back the question how people host a full class of children
Old 07-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
And would you have a birthday party each year? Otherwise it could be rather expensive for parents to invite 20+ (or what would be a normal class size?) children to an event that they have to rent a venue or pay a recreation center for each year.

In addition, how many parties a year would you normally have? Going by a class size of 24, that would be 2 birthday parties a month (plus probably some siblings and other close family members' parties); or would they combine lots of parties (as in Hereditary Princess' example)?

How does Party Pieces play in to all of this? Is that for those renting a venue without any specific activity included?
I personally had a big class party every other year and had smaller celebrations with just my family when I didn't, but I went to a prep school where classes were smaller (there were 21 including me in my primary school class, whereas in an average state/public school class there is 30 children). I think it also depends on the parent's personal preferences - some like hosting at home whereas others like hosting in venues e.g. my house was too small to host the whole class, so I often had a venue hired for my parties. Though I remember a friend of mine would have themed parties at home (she had a large garden, so had the space to hold a class of young children).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

According to the DM, the entire class was invited.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:28 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about George and Charlotte at the King's Cup regatta have been moved to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016 thread.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
He may only be in his third year of school, but Prince George is already proving a popular pupil among his peers.

The third in line to the throne, six, is attending £18,000-a-year school St Thomas's Battersea, and returned to school after the summer holidays this month.

And according to insiders the young royal has already invited 'a few' of his classmates back to Kensington Palace, with his parents Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 37, said to be 'delighted' at how well he is settling in.

However the 'wonderful' play dates at the palace are reportedly more complicated than the average, as every visitor has to be security vetted.
Read more: Popular Prince George has 'invited a few of his classmates for playdates at Kensington Palace' - but they all have to be security vetted, royal source claims
Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Popular Prince George has 'invited a few of his classmates for playdates at Kensington Palace' - but they all have to be security vetted, royal source claims
Well "vetting" is pretty normal given who Prince George is. The same thing is always done in the U.S. for the President's family. You can't just have any old body show up for a birthday party at the White House any more than you can at Kensington Palace. It's normal and practical, not news at all.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 PM
Nobility

"Vetted"? Does this mean, nobody was vetted before? I thought, little Prince George meets the kids and their parents the whole week at his pre-school.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
"Vetted"? Does this mean, nobody was vetted before? I thought, little Prince George meets the kids and their parents the whole week at his pre-school.
I thought we were discussing children from the school showing up at Kensington Palace. The parent would need to be with the child and the security people at the Palace would have to know who these people are. I have no clue what is done at the school.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:12 AM
Majesty

I am sure that over the 3 years that George has been at school in London, he has been to the homes of several school friends, and had many over for play dates. That is just what they do at that age.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I find the vetting unsurprising. I doubt the children themselves are subjected to anything invasive, but I'm sure their background and family are checked out. It would be more astonishing if they weren't.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I find the vetting unsurprising. I doubt the children themselves are subjected to anything invasive, but I'm sure their background and family are checked out. It would be more astonishing if they weren't.
I agree. It's known that grown up friends of the BRF are normally vetted (well, given the whole controversy with a certain friend of Prince Andrew's whose name I do not wish to bring up here, sometimes the vetting process doesn't seem to be successful) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the families of George and Charlotte's friends went through a similar process. It's a common practice amongst wealthy families across the globe - not just royals; I remember reading that it's common for friends of CEO's children to be vetted in East Asian cultures, for example.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness

I think most parents 'vet' their children's friends in one way or another - its just what parents do. W&C just have access to more formal resources. It appears they both try to be active in the school - so they meet the parents etc. Also some parents may be intimidated to ask George over for a playdate - a way to break that ice is to invite their child over first. W&K do not want their children being isolated. Basically they are parenting at a higher security level - but essentially they are still just parenting.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

I can’t see how George or Charlotte could have a fun play date afternoon or dinner at a friends house without a three ring circus of Security, press intrusion and imposition to the friends parent’s. It’s just easier for the class mate to go to them.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I can’t see how George or Charlotte could have a fun play date afternoon or dinner at a friends house without a three ring circus of Security, press intrusion and imposition to the friends parent’s. It’s just easier for the class mate to go to them.
Why would the press be involved if William or Kate dropped George off at a friend’s house to play? They make the school run everyday and we don’t see photos. The RPOs would be discreet, in fact some families may have private security so even the kids would be used to that aspect.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I think you'd be surprised by how freely the Royal family go about their daily lives. Security yes naturally, but besides that the reason for them not being photographed is not that they stay huddled up at Kensington Palace but that there are deals made with the press to leave them alone which includes them agreeing to not publish what pictures are taken by the paparazzi. Those pics we've seen of them in stores, playing in the park etc... have to my knowledge been taken by members of the public.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Exactly. It's the same for other members of the BRF too (and other royals in general). I remember there were photos of Princess Beatrice at the self-service checkouts near to where she lives in London, which were very clearly taken by a fellow shopper on a phone and the "outing" would have gone unnoticed if it weren't for them.
If I saw a royal in a private situation in public such as at the park or out shopping, I'd probably be excited (or more disbelieving since I don't normally get such luck, Vince Cable is about as famous as it gets in terms of "celebrities" I've bumped into in public, lol) but wouldn't take photos out of respect for their privacy.