The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelly View Post
There is a difference between having an opinion and being down right mean. Alot of the posts were just mean just for the sake of being mean.
Here here! Yes.

Word.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There is a difference between having an opinion and being down right mean. Alot of the posts were just mean just for the sake of being mean.
Can you indicated me which posts you're refering to? Because I don't remember to have read any post being mean just for the sake of being mean.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is really not fair to tar everyone with the same brush. Can't personally remember seeing anyone being "mean" for the sake of being mean here, but granted, I've only skimmed through the thread briefly. That being said, "a lot" is a major overstatement. Yes, people, including myself, have been criticising the pictures and stating our opinion about them. However, that doesn't make our posts "mean". As julliette said, we all have different opinions, and there would be no point in having a discussing forum where everyone agreed with each other. Stating your opinion isn't being mean.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Courtier

The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Oh my goodness, I have about £30 to my name, jobless and no savings, but I am sure the writer of the article above is on a very good salary. Why so hateful!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

This is a forum, not a fan site.

If someone has a negative opinion, why resort to a grade-school put down such as "mean"? Explain yourself, don't get worked up over it and move on.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Casual family photos...with a BPS400 blowout, heavy makeup and a new dress...hardly candid. These are photos of Kate and William, George just happens to be there. I'm finished now. LOL
It probably was a new dress because she has just had a baby and probably isn't able to fit into her old clothes. Since they released this to the media, I see no problem with her wanting to look nice. She is a lovely young woman.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
This is a forum, not a fan site.

If someone has a negative opinion, why resort to a grade-school put down such as "mean"? Explain yourself, don't get worked up over it and move on.
I think, Gracie, because these forums hold a higher standard for us than many other Forums do, there are times when people call out behavior that they think has crawled beyond the bounds of acceptability. That too, is opinion - but the alternative is to report the thread to the Mods, who frequently delete, close for review, etc. etc. IMHO.

Personally, I don't find name calling to build meaningful discussion, ever.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Oh my goodness, I have about £30 to my name, jobless and no savings, but I am sure the writer of the article above is on a very good salary. Why so hateful!
Thank you for posting the link. I enjoyed reading the article, although not entirely agree with it. However, it is well-written, intelligent and does make a point.

Personally, I do not like to "over-democratize" (is this a word????) aristocracy. I believe we have enough "democratic" reality-tv, vulgar personalities invading our lives and giving us advice about diets, fashion, health, raising children, politics and social issues. Enough of that. I expect aristocracy to be different and to remain the symbol of status, tradition, wealth, dignity and poise.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I think, Gracie, because these forums hold a higher standard for us than many other Forums do, there are times when people call out behavior that they think has crawled beyond the bounds of acceptability. That too, is opinion - but the alternative is to report the thread to the Mods, who frequently delete, close for review, etc. etc. IMHO.

Personally, I don't find name calling to build meaningful discussion, ever.
I never did any name calling. I basically said I thought some of the posts were just mean. Ok maybe I was wrong saying that the post was mean for the stake of being mean.

Look how people reacted to that it was Michael Middleton who took the photo. I thought he did as well as a professional. I personally don't care if the background is blurry or uneven. ( I didn't even notice I was just looking at 3 people who were in the photo).

I am just glad there were pics.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM

There is a difference on having an opinion on the pictures and having an opinion on William and Kate, but for some people it becomes the same thing.
Some people clearly don’t like William and Kate and will use every opportunity they get to criticize them. They would probably have criticized the pictures anyway or not expressed their opinion at all if they liked them.
Expressing your opinion is fine, but it becomes very frustrating when that opinion always is negative.

I don’t like the pictures either and I do think it would have been better to use a professional photographer, but I respect William and Kate for their decision to do it this way and I don’t turn my opinion into personal attacks on William, Kate or Michael Middleton.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I never did any name calling. I basically said I thought some of the posts were just mean. Ok maybe I was wrong saying that the post was mean for the stake of being mean.

Look how people reacted to that it was Michael Middleton who took the photo. I thought he did as well as a professional. I personally don't care if the background is blurry or uneven. ( I didn't even notice I was just looking at 3 people who were in the photo).

I am just glad there were pics.
I wouldn't worry too much about people not liking the photos. Most of those who don't like them are people who I (and I'm sure anyone who has been coming to these boards for a while) would have expected to find fault with the photos, no matter who the photographer was. That's just the way message boards work. Everyone has their favourites and then they have those who they find fault with no matter what they do. Just look at the thread for Mary's visit to Jordan and what happened on that today, again the same people involved as usual. Go make an negative observation or question something about Letizia and you can be sure that Mary (and her family) will be referenced in some way to show how at least Letizia isn't as bad as they are in reply by the same person every time. Its just they way people are. They will always find faults if they look hard enough so its best to just enjoy the photos if you like them and not get too caught up in what others are saying.

Its the same with the Guardian article, of course they have issues with the photographs, its the Guardian. That's what the majority of their readers are looking for in the newspaper.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

The picture was fine, but can't wait for photo with The Queen.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great
Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCESS CASSANDRA View Post
There is a difference on having an opinion on the pictures and having an opinion on William and Kate, but for some people it becomes the same thing.
Some people clearly don’t like William and Kate and will use every opportunity they get to criticize them. They would probably have criticized the pictures anyway or not expressed their opinion at all if they liked them.
Expressing your opinion is fine, but it becomes very frustrating when that opinion always is negative.

I don’t like the pictures either and I do think it would have been better to use a professional photographer, but I respect William and Kate for their decision to do it this way and I don’t turn my opinion into personal attacks on William, Kate or Michael Middleton.
Saying that you don't like the pictures isn't saying that you don't like William and Catherine. It's not about shading William and Catherine, it's saying that the pictures aren't particularly well taken.

And again with the personal attacks? Now, I have seen several posts claiming that the majority of the people who have expressed a dislike for the pictures are "attacking" William and Catherine (and apparently, those "attacks" are made by "the same people involved as usual"), but I somehow have yet to find all of those post in which people are spewing profanities at them.

Stop making mountains out of molehills, this is a discussion forum - it's alright to disagree, it's alright to dislike the pictures (saying that you don't like the pictures ≠ attacking William and Catherine), it's alright to say that you don't like the pictures (obviously as long as you're not being an arse about it and so far, I haven't seen posts containing d-bag comments).

Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

A voice of reason, Archduchess; among the ones who are looking at this from the proper perspective.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Royal Highness

Applause, Archduchess, applause!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Courtier

I think what started all this was the Guardian saying William and Catherine were pretending to be middle class. You don't have to like the photos but to accuse people of pretending to be something they are not absurd.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Archduchess, while I applaud you for your general point I have to say that to a certain extent some of the comments regarding the so-called attack on the pictures, William, Catherine, and Michael Middleton is not unfounded.

Some people are expressing a general dislike of the pictures. Which is very valid; the pictures aren't that great, and I don't think they really meet what anyone was expecting (although, William and Catherine aren't really required to meet our expectations in this). Personally I was a bit disappointed by them not because of what they are (they're nice family pictures; not great but not bad), but because I was hoping for the focus to be more on George. It wasn't and, hey like a mature adult I'm over it.

Other people though are taking these pictures as an opportunity to attack the family. There was a comment that if Michael Middleton can't take a good picture he (and others) should turn in his camera. Other people have gone off on how this is another attempt of William's to prove that he's "normal" but he's really not and going off on a rampage about how ridiculous it is that he tries.

People who are generalizing and saying that those who dislike the pictures dislike the couple and are just using it as an excuse to attack them are exaggerating. Some people just dislike the pictures and are simply expressing as much. Others dislike the pictures and aren't fans of the couple but aren't using this as an excuse to attack them. Others even like the pictures, regardless of their feelings towards the couple. But SOME people dislike the pictures for what seems like the sole reason of they dislike the Cambridges and are using this as yet another opportunity to go off on a rampage about them.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I cannot believe people got worked up enough about some family snaps to fill 20 pages. Seems like a bit of an over reaction regardless of if you think the pics were good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day they are probably just like the pics in your own albums snapped by your fathers/husbands/brothers and not meant to be anything more than that.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Thank you, Ish, for pointing out what I meant.
I do not mean that everyone who dislike the pictures also dislike William and Kate, but I think that for some people, not everyone, their dislike of William and Kate also affect their opinion of the pictures. I'm sorry if my previous post was taken the wrong way or was too exaggerating. I just get very frustrated of how often things take a negative turn when it comes to William and Kate.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I cannot believe people got worked up enough about some family snaps to fill 20 pages. Seems like a bit of an over reaction regardless of if you think the pics were good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day they are probably just like the pics in your own albums snapped by your fathers/husbands/brothers and not meant to be anything more than that.
Well put.

That was what I thought when I saw it. That I had a ton of photos just like it (except my family was never that attractive or well styled) in my family albums.