Prince George: First Official Photos - August 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If these had been professional photos (with or without crowns and tiaras), those would be criticized and the press would pay $$$ for the family photos.

Yes, most people do pose for pictures, if they're at all concerned about how the pictures will turn out.

A person can have high status and still be "normal" (whatever that means - no one who uses the term seems "normal" to me and they never define it). Certainly, William and Kate should not be described as abnormal and the baby looks quite pleasant.

The papers have managed to stir people up about this though (that's normal, people like getting their panties in a bunch about things, the press enables people to do that normal thing).

For some of us, though, that's not normal (and I seriously doubt that William and Kate spend much time upset about these newspaper articles, I hope not).

I like them. I like them for the reason that they're informal. They're nice family photos taken by a loving family member. And they chose to share those photos, that special family memory, with us. The phrase "looking a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

Children are usually born into families with 2 sides - the mother's side of the family (in this case, the Middletons) and the father's side of the family (in this case, the BRF).

I'm taking the view that these are Middleton family photographs released to the public. Very nice of them to share them with us.

The photos from the BRF side of the family will be along soon.

I don't see what the fuss is about over the pictures. They are wonderful pictures and I don't really think anyone for the most part cares who took the pictures. I never even thought about who took the pictures until it was brought up on the news.

What shines through the pictures is the utter joy these parents are experiencing at the long awaited arrival of their baby. Everything else is so insignificant by comparison. Catherine and William might just decide not to release any future informal snaps when they are subjected to such harsh criticism. It was lovely so see the happiness on their faces.

What happened to the Beatrix Potter theme nursery? Maybe they thought Georgie looked too manly for the Bunny pictures. Georgie does look manly and no-nonsense--that is, if one can tell anything about his future personality at this very early time.

I wish I had EVER snapped such a good looking picture as these snapped by Michael Middleton. I am simply astonished by the lack of appreciation for these nice photos.
Yes, Georgie's expression cannot be read. But that's normal for now.
My son was born with eyes wide open and looking straight at me--but then, my son was exceptional as babies went, I think. Big, ginger, tough, enormous cerulean blue eyes, of a blue the sky used to have years ago before cluttered with pollution.
If Georgie is as tough and tenacious as my baby, he'll be someone to deal with.

They are posed photos badly taken. For most families that is fine but this isn't a normal family but the family of the Head of State showing off to the world the future Head of State - that is why they aren't good enough. If William wants to be like ordinary people then he needs to ask parliament to remove him from the line of succession and allow it to go to someone who understands.

I can't believe that anyone thinks these are 'good' photos - they are bad.

If people can't take better photos than these they don't deserve to have a camera - as it isn't hard to set up the subjects so that the lighting in right etc - particularly in such staged photos as these. The most basic principles of good photography are missing - something that anyone with a camera who had ever used it would know.

I would not go all that far but a little retouching all the computer is what regular people usually do. Doing so would have made a better photo and still not interfered with the modern relaxed image they are trying to sell.

I think I always expected the African theme of the nursery.
I assume Prince George will have the toy chest among other things from Cousin David's store. this is probably where the family will shop for their baby gifts. I assume its a pretty good friends and family discount

LINLEY | Gifts & accessories | Little LINLEY

Prince George: First Official Photos Released 22 August 2013

I've always considered the royals to be "normal" people just like you and me. Things may be different financially, socially and historically but they are "normal" people and some issues and ups and downs like the rest of us.

They are normal in the sense that they are mortal human beings subject to illness, mortality...with the same capacities for human emotions like love, anger, fear, etc.

But nothing will ever convince me that anything about their lives is "normal" in the way that average people experience it.

It isn't. It never has been and it never will be.

If a Royal has a day when he does NOT feel like cooking dinner, walking the dog, or even writing checks to pay his own bills he can always get someone else to do it. A normal person cannot.

A normal person can go to the cinema and see an X-rated film without causing controversy or comment. A Royal cannot.

Last edited:
Yup, Africa has always been special to the royal family in various ways so of course it will be a part of Georges life. Perhaps the Beatrix Potter theme was planned for a girl nursery though.

I'll say it; the photos suck because you don't have a good look at the baby. I don't care if Lupo took the picture, I'd like to see his face close up and perhaps one with his eyes open. As it is, I have a better view of the dog. I also know what Will and Kate look like, it was George I was curious about.

As it is it looks like one of those ones you see preprinted in a mass-produced frame sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Exactly. They must know the baby is what people are fixated on....I don't understand why they just did not wait until he is somewhat older and alert with beginning of a personality and done a cute family shot with George front and center.

I have no problems with the photos in general. It's typical of what you'd expect for a family portrait, despite the quality. In many ways it's the family portrait that I was expecting to see when they said they weren't going to do professional photos. I both appreciate and respect that rather than doing something overly staged they released a family shot - it lets us into their life in a new way, while also giving them some "normalcy," and we've learned something about them (mostly that Grandpa Mike shouldn't be behind the camera, but still).

I think a part of the reason why George isn't more on display is because these pictures were taken when he was still a week or two old, as opposed to something now when he's closer to a month. He's still being wrapped up here and probably fussy when he's not being wrapped up. I get it - I also understand why they did the pictures then as opposed to more recently; this was pre-William going back to work, when they ha more family time.

That said when they said that they were going to chose from some family photos I was kind of expecting to get something like what we got - one or two pictures of them as a family, perhaps with Lupo - plus one or two of the pictures that they've surely taken of him sleeping or on his mat or whatever. I remember when my nephew was born there were a thousand pictures (slight exaggeration) taken of him in the first months that got captions like "Rye with Aunty," "Rye with this stuffed animal from this person," "Rye protesting the car seat," and so on. I was expecting to see the "George in his cot," or "George with the stuffie" (we've seen the "George protesting the car seat" already). And in that sense I'm disappointed - not because of what we got, but because of what I was thinking we'd get when they said they were choosing from family pictures.

You forgot that old perennial for every baby boy:

"Georgie testing the old squirter" :whistling:

Well...

As much as it seems like the M-W family is prone to having their bodies exposed in the media, I wasn't expecting William and Catherine to provide George's first full frontal shots.

Those pictures, and the bath time pictures (and videos) are best saved for when he starts dating, like every "normal" boy.

People keep forgetting that George was only about 2 weeks old when the photos were taken, so getting photos of him with his eyes open was going to be difficult. We'll have to wait a bit to get photos of George being awake and alert.

Exactly. They must know the baby is what people are fixated on....I don't understand why they just did not wait until he is somewhat older and alert with beginning of a personality and done a cute family shot with George front and center.

We'll get those type of photos in October (or whenever the Christening happens).

Last edited:
Well...

As much as it seems like the M-W family is prone to having their bodies exposed in the media, I wasn't expecting William and Catherine to provide George's first full frontal shots.

Those pictures, and the bath time pictures (and videos) are best saved for when he starts dating, like every "normal" boy.

Okay, you are funny!!! Thank you for making me laugh, I wasn't going to comment again, but am happy to find a light-hearted and good natured comment such as yours. Brightened my night:flowers:
You owe me a new monitor, I spit out my tea when I read your comment LOL

Last edited:
I think I always expected the African theme of the nursery.
I assume Prince George will have the toy chest among other things from Cousin David's store. this is probably where the family will shop for their baby gifts. I assume its a pretty good friends and family discount

LINLEY | Gifts & accessories | Little LINLEY

Some of the things on that site are absolutely lovely. The jewelry boxes are exquisite.

I can't understand why some people said that you can't see William & Catherine and George clearly in the pictures. I see them clear as day, although I think up close pictures of George will be provided at the Christening.

They are posed photos badly taken. For most families that is fine but this isn't a normal family but the family of the Head of State showing off to the world the future Head of State - that is why they aren't good enough. If William wants to be like ordinary people then he needs to ask parliament to remove him from the line of succession and allow it to go to someone who understands.

If people can't take better photos than these they don't deserve to have a camera - as it isn't hard to set up the subjects so that the lighting in right etc - particularly in such staged photos as these. The most basic principles of good photography are missing - something that anyone with a camera who had ever used it would know.

great post - sums it up perfectly!!!

so does this:

I suspect what William and many people like him mean when they yearn for normality is being able to conduct their (very privileged) lives with as much privacy as possible...period.

Well said!!!

So people who cannot take decent pics don't deserve to have cameras? I take bad pics, so should I send you my camera??

So people who cannot take decent pics don't deserve to have cameras? I take bad pics, so should I send you my camera??

If it's a good camera, then yes, you should send it to me.

If it's a good camera, then yes, you should send it to me.

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not and people who cannot take pics should not have cameras, then 3/4 of the population should not have cameras.

It is basic photography to not set up the subjects with the sun behind them - a child can understand that and is able to take appropriately staged photos - and I am talking about 5 year olds with their mobile phone cameras so if you are under 5 then you are forgiven for not being able to pose a family group in the right way to take a photo.

I don't know anyone who would take photos as bad as this who would even consider showing them to anyone.

I teach at a K - 12 school (ages 4 - 18) and all our kids can take better photos than that - and you should see the scathing critiques that the Year 3's currently studying photography as part of their 'art' course made of these photos. It was their lesson this week - they were each given copies of the photos and allowed to point out the 'good and bad' techniques - there were no 'goods' as the kids felt that were all appalling photos.

Last edited:
Amongst others......
I recall clearly that Princess Mary takes her own pictures of her children which is released on their respective birthdays.

Now King WA has taken snaps of his daughters to be released, and at the time I did not think they were great, but they are taken without pressure on the child to pose.

Even Prince Bertie took pictures of what is now QEII and we enjoy those to this day...

I think it is brilliant that photos are taken by family to be released. They not meant to be enlarged to great size, to be framed or placed in a gallery for posterity. No, they for us to enjoy, and we should do just that. They did not have to release any photos at all; but sure they thought the public would enjoy seeing them in the relaxed mode of family!

Sadly, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't!!! Time for most of us to grow up, stop throwing stones at them and just enjoy... Life would be much happier for all!

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not and people who cannot take pics should not have cameras, then 3/4 of the population should not have cameras.

Oh, yes. Definitely sarcasm.

Unless you happen to have a good camera that you want to randomly give to me. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

If they want to release family snaps then they need to release good ones or expect to be panned. It isn't hard to take good photos - it isn't that they are posed family photos that is at issue but the fact that they decided to release such bad photos - badly positioned, badly lit, badly balanced etc. As they are supposed to be photos of George it would have been nice if he had been the centre of the pictures rather than have him on the side as an extra to the central image of the photos. William should have been on the other side of Kate so that George was in the centre for instance but as it is Kate is the centre of the photo not George and we already have 1000s of pictures of her.

It is basic photography to not set up the subjects with the sun behind them - a child can understand that and is able to take appropriately staged photos - and I am talking about 5 year olds with their mobile phone cameras so if you are under 5 then you are forgiven for not being able to pose a family group in the right way to take a photo.

I don't know anyone who would take photos as bad as this who would even consider showing them to anyone.

I teach at a K - 12 school (ages 4 - 18) and all our kids can take better photos than that - and you should see the scathing critiques that the Year 3's currently studying photography as part of their 'art' course made of these photos. It was their lesson this week - they were each given copies of the photos and allowed to point out the 'good and bad' techniques - there were no 'goods' as the kids felt that were all appalling photos.

Well maybe those 5 year olds can give Mario Testino some pointers, because this photo he took of Queen Rania and her children (for Vanity Fair 2008) is pretty bad.

http://mylusciouslife.com/wp-conten...en-queen-rania-of-jordan-by-mario-testino.jpg

As for the Cambridge photos, I really like them and don't think they're as bad as some are trying to make them out to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom