Prince George: First Official Photos - August 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear god I can't believe we're arguing/disagreeing about what she has or hasn't given up. Gimme a break people! I sometimes feel Catherine can't do anything right in some people's eyes.

She is a magnetic public figure. People are going to discuss, argue and critique everything about her and as long as it is respectful and intelligent, nothing wrong with that IMO.

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing. I thought I was making a joke. I guess it wasn't very funny.

I wasn't arguing. I thought I was making a joke. I guess it wasn't very funny.
I got it. You were trying to be empathetic, not factual. Making the point that mothers are tossed into a whirlwind, and , of course, give up everything.

I know that almost everyone on the board got it (Ish and British Royalist made it even funnier), but there are a few posters who seem to take this discussion very seriously. We all wish William and Catherine well. Let's just have some fun.

William looks photoshopped - smoothed over as if he's made of plastic or wrapped in cling film. Same look Testino gave him in the engagement photos. Just horrible - he's better looking than that!

No he's not actually

Prince George: First Official Photos Released 22 August 2013

Oh gosh, what horrible photos. Surely Mr. Middleton would have leanred how to take a decent photo at his age by now. However, I do find the natural setting refreshing. Kate is glowing, the baby looks a delightful bundled creature, and William and Lupo are gorgeous. Princess Mary does a bunch of her own official photos of her family and they all come out gorgeous. Hopefully they will have professional photos for the christening when the baby looks a bit more human. There such strange creatures their first few months.

Oh gosh, what horrible photos. Surely Mr. Middleton would have leanred how to take a decent photo at his age by now. However, I do find the natural setting refreshing. Kate is glowing, the baby looks a delightful bundled creature, and William and Lupo are gorgeous. Princess Mary does a bunch of her own official photos of her family and they all come out gorgeous. Hopefully they will have professional photos for the christening when the baby looks a bit more human. There such strange creatures their first few months.

The baby is human. Maybe the tot looks like a mini Winston Churchill at this point, but I am pretty sure the guy was human LOL:flowers:

I think it was lovely of William and Catherine to release these photos. No, they aren't professional quality (those will come at the Christening) . I think it's wonderful of them to share their familiy photos (which is not usually done). To my knowledge, most of the photos of the royal babies are released when the babies are a bit older and we rarely see family photos (I recently saw Charles' tribute for the jubliee with him viewing old family movies which were never shown to the public before.)

Overall, I think it was a very sweet gesture (and something they didn't have to do but choose to share with the public). :flowers: They both look so happy (as does Lupo :) ). George looks cute although very much like newborn babies I've known at this age (none of my photos of my own children at this age had their eyes open either.)

Dear god I can't believe we're arguing/disagreeing about what she has or hasn't given up. Gimme a break people! I sometimes feel Catherine can't do anything right in some people's eyes.

No kidding!!

The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal
The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | theguardian.com

The trouble with the new royalism is that it is far more dishonest than the old royalism. This picture, with its amateur touches, gives that away.
And for all its attempts to look natural, it is posed: for the royal family is not middle class. The royal couple playing at "normal" parenthood is no more authentic than Marie Antoinette dressed as a shepherdess. The interesting question is why is such obvious fiction taken seriously by so many?
Agree 100%

The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | theguardian.com

The trouble with the new royalism is that it is far more dishonest than the old royalism. This picture, with its amateur touches, gives that away.
And for all its attempts to look natural, it is posed: for the royal family is not middle class. The royal couple playing at "normal" parenthood is no more authentic than Marie Antoinette dressed as a shepherdess. The interesting question is why is such obvious fiction taken seriously by so many?
Agree 100%
Absolute crap

That Guardian article was a bunch of crapola.

Why disagree without any explanation or argument? It makes perfect sense. Many here fancifully believe that "Will and Kate" behave just like a "normal" middle-class family, which is simply naive. Everything in that paragraph is true.

I think Catherine's hair is always styled.
when I gave birth I'd just had my hair styled, did not expect to have induction that night. I was immobile for the entire ten hours of labor (unconscious). Someone took a pic of me in the ward, lying in bed, with my hair perfectly styled after the baby was born. I lost that pic long ago in a fire, but it was amazing how "styled" I looked because I must have never sweated or pulled my hair during labor. Just perfectly styled. After that I adopted a simpler look, as that too-styled lady was not me.
But Catherine's perfect hair IS her.

Why disagree without any explanation or argument? It makes perfect sense. Many here fancifully believe that "Will and Kate" behave just like a "normal" middle-class family, which is simply naive. Everything in that paragraph is true.

One thing you will see no matter what class a family is and that is family pictures. Because they are a "royal" couple, should the backdrop have been Buckingham Palace and they should have been dripping in jewels and orders? Should HM and the DoE be sitting on thrones at their family barbeques at Balmoral? Should Charles, along with this collection of toilet seats, have a royal butt wiper as in days gone by? :ROFLMAO:

There is a lot of "normal" about Will and Kate and I personally think its a good thing.

Members of the royal family are normal people but just born or married into different circumstances. I think William & Catherine was very nice to release a personal family picture.

We all know about their wealth and position in the world but had they dressed in their uniforms, robes, sashes, tiara's and tons of jewels, everyone would be going crazy on how out of touch the Cambridge's look.

Their family snapshot was very simple and to the point. A more formal image is coming with the christening with the whole family. I'm sure there will be complaints about those pictures too. It seems like members of the British royal family are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they flaunt their wealth and status, they're out of touch but if they don't, they're acting like they are "normal." It's a hard road for them to travel.

Agree 100%

Well said! Two future Kings and all most people are talking about in the picture is Tilly the dog.

I think it was lovely of William and Catherine to release these photos. No, they aren't professional quality (those will come at the Christening) . I think it's wonderful of them to share their familiy photos (which is not usually done). To my knowledge, most of the photos of the royal babies are released when the babies are a bit older and we rarely see family photos (I recently saw Charles' tribute for the jubliee with him viewing old family movies which were never shown to the public before.)

Overall, I think it was a very sweet gesture (and something they didn't have to do but choose to share with the public). :flowers: They both look so happy (as does Lupo :) ). George looks cute although very much like newborn babies I've known at this age (none of my photos of my own children at this age had their eyes open either.)

I think the Middleton's dog, so clearly at ease (OK, all but asleep) says a lot about the ease of this photo. I like it.

I have a feeling you'd be one of the first ones complaining, if the Cambridges chose to emphasize just how royal, privileged, and wealthy they truly are. In all honesty, I'm tired of constant complaining about this couple's decisions about doing things. If they want to take a holiday, then they're flaunting their wealth, but if they want to share a family snapshot, and do things more 'independently', then they're in denial about their status. Make up your mind, and stick with it already :bang:!

One thing you will see no matter what class a family is and that is family pictures. Because they are a "royal" couple, should the backdrop have been Buckingham Palace and they should have been dripping in jewels and orders? Should HM and the DoE be sitting on thrones at their family barbeques at Balmoral? Should Charles, along with this collection of toilet seats, have a royal butt wiper as in days gone by? :ROFLMAO:

There is a lot of "normal" about Will and Kate and I personally think its a good thing.

In complete agreement here, and your comment about Charles' infamous collection of toilet seats, and a 'royal butt wiper' truly made me giggle :D. In all honesty, royals are damned if they do, and damned if they don't, and it doesn't help when people criticize their every single choice.

They are not DENYING anything. They know who they are and we know who they are. They are not pretending to be middle class. I am sick and tired of arm chair critics.

How exactly are they supposed to pose? Are they supposed to be photographed in a golden room with the baby wearing a tiny little crown? lol one minute they're accused of flaunting their wealth and the next of trying to be normal. If William walked around acting like an entitled jerk he would apparently be living up to what is thought to be royal. Instead the guy loves his wife, his child, and values his in laws as much as his own family. And for that he and his wife get attacked. Heaven forbid they take a photograph at home surrounded by peace and family. How horrible.

They are not DENYING anything. They know who they are and we know who they are. They are not pretending to be middle class. I am sick and tired of arm chair critics.

I wasn't agreeing with what the posted said, but trying to actually defend the couple. Perhaps my choice of the word 'denial' was wrong. But I have a feeling that others see the Cambridges' steps to be more 'normal' as a form of denial. I'm more than positive that this couple is very aware of who they are. Heck, William knows what is expected of him and his family, and when the time comes, will step up to the plate and deliver.

How exactly are they supposed to pose? Are they supposed to be photographed in a golden room with the baby wearing a tiny little crown? lol one minute they're accused of flaunting their wealth and the next of trying to be normal. If William walked around acting like an entitled jerk he would apparently be living up to what is thought to be royal. Instead the guy loves his wife, his child, and values his in laws as much as his own family. And for that he and his wife get attacked. Heaven forbid they take a photograph at home surrounded by peace and family. How horrible.

This entire way of thinking reminds me of some of my former female acquaintances who kept complaining about their significant others being 'too nice'. I don't understand this obsession with acting like a complete and total jerk, whether he be a royal, or a regular 'Joe'. Like you, I'm not quite sure what the public wants from this couple. Would they be happier if William went around, cheated on his wife, disregarded any sort of respect towards her, hired a nanny for the baby, and sent him away to be brought up with no parental love? Oh, wait, if that happened, then he'd be compared to other royals, who acted like that, and called all sorts of names. But, he'd be acting the way royals have in the past, which was according to their station. I'm personally grateful for the fact that William does what he wants (within reason), and doesn't give a hoot about what some angry, and bored few think.

So, people actually want to claim that William and Kate are impersonating "the middle class" in the same way that Marie Antoinette dressed up as a shepherdess? Mind-boggling lack of critical thinking ability, common sense and historical knowledge. No point to even arguing about it, if you can't see the fallacies in that train of thinking, there's no point in arguing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom