Prince George: First Official Photos - August 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince George: First Official Photos Released 22 August 2013

I think people just wanted him and expected him to be the focus.

I think people just wanted him and expected him to be the focus.

Okay, babies cannot "perform" or "become" anything at this age. I tried to have pics taken of my first child at this age and the first time he would not stop screaming. The second time he slept. I waited until he got older. Short of plopping the baby on the grass and making a loud noise so he would open his eyes, you cannot force a baby to do ANYTHING for the camera. It is a helpless little baby.

I think they are charming, and I am sure we will get more stylized formal photos from Balmoral and then the christening. 2 observations - I was expecting more candid shots, rather than posed - but that was just my misconception and second, I think both of these images look much better as BW (BW forgives a lot of the lighting errors.

I don't understand the need of certain papers to have the photographic skills of Michael Middleton analyzed. There will be more photos of George later on. These are not going to be only photos taken of him. He is a small baby. He is either sleeping or crying his head off. The fact that they got Lupo to sit still to take a photo should be applauded.

He looks like Harry. :eek:

I don't see it, but why would that be a surprise if he did? He's William's brother. Anyway, he's a few weeks old. It's rather difficult to tell who he'll really favor at this stage imo.

My aunt and her niece look so much like each other it's incredible. They look more like each other than any of their kids-or my aunt's grandkids- or their own parents- look like them. It's the strongest family resemblance that I've seen on my dad's side. Genetics are a funny thing.

Last edited:
Good Lord this thread has taken a sad, and in some circumstances, downright stupid turn. The birth of a first baby is something to be celebrated and that happened, but not for long, and some of the postings over the last month really has me wondering about people these days. Don't know if it's the epidemic of "Well...No one knows me off line, so I' m allowed to say what I want and no one stop me." smug arrogance overtaking things or what, but for of the things I've seen in here the last month just is beyond sad and also disturbing too in it's way.

For all those complaining about these lovely pictures, which I think after listening to William talk the last few years about how he and Kate want as little formality as they can possibly have, what is the big shocker here? In fact, if they had done the formal photo thing, I would have been shocked. It's not William's style. He let someone he trusts, which is something not easily given by him, take these important pictures. Yes, William comes across as a bit stiff, but he usually does when he knows the pictures are to be released to the public, so no big shocker there.

For those complaining they can't see the baby, i am more than a bit puzzled. My Mom has Macular Degeneration and Cataracts *and* not only could see the baby easily here on my mini iPadd w/out me needing to enlarge it, but also commented on the obvious frown on little George's face. We were all wondering if he was about to unleash a howl or filling up a diaper w/the look on his face. :eek:D.

Anyway...If my Mom could see little George's face w/no problem w/the shape her eyes are in, then IMO that means the pictures are fine.

I love them and they're perfect because that's what William and Kate wanted and it shows in the photos. I will happily take these over any posed and uncomfortable first pictures any day and twice on Sunday and think Grandpa Michael did a lovely job.

Good Lord this thread has taken a sad, and in some circumstances, downright stupid turn. The birth of a first baby is something to be celebrated and that happened, but not for long, and some of the postings over the last month really has me wondering about people these days. Don't know if it's the epidemic of "Well...No one knows me off line, so I' m allowed to say what I want and no one stop me." smug arrogance overtaking things or what, but for of the things I've seen in here the last month just is beyond sad and also disturbing too in it's way.

For all those complaining about these lovely pictures, which I think after listening to William talk the last few years about how he and Kate want as little formality as they can possibly have, what is the big shocker here? In fact, if they had done the formal photo thing, I would have been shocked. It's not William's style. He let someone he trusts, which is something not easily given by him, take these important pictures. Yes, William comes across as a bit stiff, but he usually does when he knows the pictures are to be released to the public, so no big shocker there.

For those complaining they can't see the baby, i am more than a bit puzzled. My Mom has Macular Degeneration and Cataracts *and* not only could see the baby easily here on my mini iPadd w/out me needing to enlarge it, but also commented on the obvious frown on little George's face. We were all wondering if he was about to unleash a howl or filling up a diaper w/the look on his face. :eek:D.

Anyway...If my Mom could see little George's face w/no problem w/the shape her eyes are in, then IMO that means the pictures are fine.

I love them and they're perfect because that's what William and Kate wanted and it shows in the photos. I will happily take these over any posed and uncomfortable first pictures any day and twice on Sunday and think Grandpa Michael did a lovely job.

:previous:I agree

I think the photos are beautiful! The may not be the most professional in the world, but I think they are a real indicator of William and Catherine doing things their own way. I also think the facts Michael took them makes them so much more personal, which to me is greater than a high quality photo taken by an outside photographer.

There may be some confusion between the term official and formal?

Official means that KP released these pictures and, in effect, they are family pictures and they have chosen 2 from probably masses that they have taken.

Formal means official photographers, very posed - pretty much like that one of Baby William posted earlier. Archive material for posterity.

I really like what they have done. Rather like emailing your friends pictures you've taken.

What's interesting to me is, I don't see what's informal about these pictures at all, aside from Michael being the photographer. They seem rather formal to me. Informal, to me, for instance is the photo where baby Princess Anne has her hand on her father's mouth. (LOL I'm aware that's not an option for George at this stage, but I think you get my point.) Informal would be William and Kate in jeans or shorts. There really aren't terribly informal imo.....not that it matters to me one way or the other how they took the photos.

Formal means official photographers, very posed - pretty much like that one of Baby William posted earlier. Archive material for posterity.

Aside from professional photographers, that's what these photos are to me. Rather formal. Which is fine.

Every one is entitled to his or her opinion or critique and just because you do not agree does not make those people stupid, incorrect or sad.

Last edited:
That close-up from The Telegraph is great, makes him a little more visible. He's so adorable. Though it's very obviously amateur photographs, I do think it's a nice little detail that Michael is the photographer.

Okay, babies cannot "perform" or "become" anything at this age. I tried to have pics taken of my first child at this age and the first time he would not stop screaming. The second time he slept. I waited until he got older. Short of plopping the baby on the grass and making a loud noise so he would open his eyes, you cannot force a baby to do ANYTHING for the camera. It is a helpless little baby.

I seriously doubt that anyone expected a little, one-month-old baby to "perform" anything (whatever you mean by that). Personally, I am slightly disappointed that there's no close-ups of the bub, but whatever, such pictures are probably gonna come with time.

Last edited:
Every one is entitled to his or her opinion or critique and just because you do not agree does not make those people stupid, incorrect or sad.

I don't think the post you were referring to was calling people/posters that, she was commenting her opinion that the tenor of the comments was, in her opinion, sad. She's not alone in that opinion, by the way, as many people have said already.

Why mar the whole process of celebrating a baby's birth by finding something to critique at every turn?

The tenor has been almost complete adulation....apparently any questioning of that or different view is heresy. Really, I think the photo is fine, not great but fine. I just thought the baby should be centered and the focal point. that's all.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, Cepe, the "lightened" pix look so different that they seem photoshopped. I like the original ones better, these look like something for a Hollywood musical, although very beautiful. Oh well, ridiculous debate. Pictures look great. Move on to the next big thing, wedding, who's expecting and showing a bump, etc.

I really like these photos (they look so happy) and I honestly don't see the problem with them.

According to a senior royal aide, these photos aren't the formall ones. The formal photos will be released during the christening. The family will also be posing for press photos soon. So for those that dislike the informality of these photos, you'll see more (formal) photos in the near future.

The photos were released by Kensington Palace exactly four weeks after George was born. "It was always something we wanted to do for the UK newspapers," a senior royal aide said.

"As far as we're concerned, they're a couple of gentle, informal family photographs. The time will come for more formal photographs around the christening later in the year."

The publication of the photographs will inevitably be aimed at puncturing a market in paparazzi pictures of the royal baby but the palace was keen to stress that, although the choice of Mr Middleton to take the photographs broke with tradition, the couple and their infant will also be posing for press photographers in the near future.

"This isn't a sign of things to come," said the senior aide. "The reason it was done like this was just because we thought it would be a little bit more relaxed."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...he-first-photos-released-by-Kensington-Palace

Last edited:
Something to look forward to for sure! These are nice but I will be really exited for the upcoming professional shots later.

Oh my goodness, Cepe, the "lightened" pix look so different that they seem photoshopped. I like the original ones better, these look like something for a Hollywood musical, although very beautiful. Oh well, ridiculous debate. Pictures look great. Move on to the next big thing, wedding, who's expecting and showing a bump, etc.

Especially William in the first one!

I really like the photos and that they were taken by Kate's dad. It feels like they are sharing something more personal with us.

There will be plenty of formal photos throughout the years and its great that they have had the chance to spend the first month of George's life just as a family without all that. I am pleased they have chosen to share a couple of photos with us from that time.

I think some people are starting to forget that when it comes down to it George is their baby not the worlds and they are not compelled to share anything with us or do formal photo shoots etc. They could have waited until the christening.

Something to look forward to for sure! These are nice but I will be really exited for the upcoming professional shots later.

I really like the informal photos, but I look forward to the professional photos as well. I think waiting to take formal photos of little George makes sense. He was only 2 weeks old when these informal ones were taken, so he still looks like a cute little old man. :lol: When the newer photos are released, he'll be a few months old, so his features will have settled a bit more and we'll be able to start to see who he looks like.

Last edited:
Very beautiful and relaxed official pictures of the Cambridge's. More pictures are to come for the christening. Love these pictures of a happy family.

I could not have said it better :clap:.

I would very much like it if they follow the example of Princess Mary of Denmark by taking casual pictures of the children ever couple of months. Mary does them herself.

Wow! Fantastic family.
Kate is looks comfortable and beautiful, little George is so cute!:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom