The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

I can't understand why some people said that you can't see William & Catherine and George clearly in the pictures. I see them clear as day, although I think up close pictures of George will be provided at the Christening.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They are posed photos badly taken. For most families that is fine but this isn't a normal family but the family of the Head of State showing off to the world the future Head of State - that is why they aren't good enough. If William wants to be like ordinary people then he needs to ask parliament to remove him from the line of succession and allow it to go to someone who understands.

I can't believe that anyone thinks these are 'good' photos - they are bad.

If people can't take better photos than these they don't deserve to have a camera - as it isn't hard to set up the subjects so that the lighting in right etc - particularly in such staged photos as these. The most basic principles of good photography are missing - something that anyone with a camera who had ever used it would know.
great post - sums it up perfectly!!!

so does this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I suspect what William and many people like him mean when they yearn for normality is being able to conduct their (very privileged) lives with as much privacy as possible...period.
Well said!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
They are posed photos badly taken. For most families that is fine but this isn't a normal family but the family of the Head of State showing off to the world the future Head of State - that is why they aren't good enough. If William wants to be like ordinary people then he needs to ask parliament to remove him from the line of succession and allow it to go to someone who understands.

I can't believe that anyone thinks these are 'good' photos - they are bad.

If people can't take better photos than these they don't deserve to have a camera - as it isn't hard to set up the subjects so that the lighting in right etc - particularly in such staged photos as these. The most basic principles of good photography are missing - something that anyone with a camera who had ever used it would know.
So people who cannot take decent pics don't deserve to have cameras? I take bad pics, so should I send you my camera??
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

So people who cannot take decent pics don't deserve to have cameras? I take bad pics, so should I send you my camera??
If it's a good camera, then yes, you should send it to me.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If it's a good camera, then yes, you should send it to me.
I hope you are being sarcastic. If not and people who cannot take pics should not have cameras, then 3/4 of the population should not have cameras.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is basic photography to not set up the subjects with the sun behind them - a child can understand that and is able to take appropriately staged photos - and I am talking about 5 year olds with their mobile phone cameras so if you are under 5 then you are forgiven for not being able to pose a family group in the right way to take a photo.

I don't know anyone who would take photos as bad as this who would even consider showing them to anyone.

I teach at a K - 12 school (ages 4 - 18) and all our kids can take better photos than that - and you should see the scathing critiques that the Year 3's currently studying photography as part of their 'art' course made of these photos. It was their lesson this week - they were each given copies of the photos and allowed to point out the 'good and bad' techniques - there were no 'goods' as the kids felt that were all appalling photos.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Commoner

Amongst others......
I recall clearly that Princess Mary takes her own pictures of her children which is released on their respective birthdays.

Now King WA has taken snaps of his daughters to be released, and at the time I did not think they were great, but they are taken without pressure on the child to pose.

Even Prince Bertie took pictures of what is now QEII and we enjoy those to this day...

I think it is brilliant that photos are taken by family to be released. They not meant to be enlarged to great size, to be framed or placed in a gallery for posterity. No, they for us to enjoy, and we should do just that. They did not have to release any photos at all; but sure they thought the public would enjoy seeing them in the relaxed mode of family!

Sadly, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't!!! Time for most of us to grow up, stop throwing stones at them and just enjoy... Life would be much happier for all!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not and people who cannot take pics should not have cameras, then 3/4 of the population should not have cameras.
Oh, yes. Definitely sarcasm.

Unless you happen to have a good camera that you want to randomly give to me. I wouldn't be opposed to that.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

If they want to release family snaps then they need to release good ones or expect to be panned. It isn't hard to take good photos - it isn't that they are posed family photos that is at issue but the fact that they decided to release such bad photos - badly positioned, badly lit, badly balanced etc. As they are supposed to be photos of George it would have been nice if he had been the centre of the pictures rather than have him on the side as an extra to the central image of the photos. William should have been on the other side of Kate so that George was in the centre for instance but as it is Kate is the centre of the photo not George and we already have 1000s of pictures of her.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
It is basic photography to not set up the subjects with the sun behind them - a child can understand that and is able to take appropriately staged photos - and I am talking about 5 year olds with their mobile phone cameras so if you are under 5 then you are forgiven for not being able to pose a family group in the right way to take a photo.

I don't know anyone who would take photos as bad as this who would even consider showing them to anyone.

I teach at a K - 12 school (ages 4 - 18) and all our kids can take better photos than that - and you should see the scathing critiques that the Year 3's currently studying photography as part of their 'art' course made of these photos. It was their lesson this week - they were each given copies of the photos and allowed to point out the 'good and bad' techniques - there were no 'goods' as the kids felt that were all appalling photos.
Well maybe those 5 year olds can give Mario Testino some pointers, because this photo he took of Queen Rania and her children (for Vanity Fair 2008) is pretty bad.

http://mylusciouslife.com/wp-content...io-testino.jpg

As for the Cambridge photos, I really like them and don't think they're as bad as some are trying to make them out to be.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Royal Highness

Prince George: First Official Photos Released 22 August 2013

I was surprised that pictures taken against the sun could look that nice (I was always told not to do so)-they are not perfect-polished images,but Catherine,William and George look relaxed and happy in the pictures!

I did not know that Mario Testino took those images of Q.Rania and her children,they are not overwhelming...
Mario Testino is probably more comfortable with taking pictures of fashionable couture and grown-up people.

The pictures of CP Victoria-Daniel-Estelle were looking cute and professional, I do not know who took them,but I am absolutely adoring the photographs:-) Something similar in style would be great for the official portraits of little Prince George and his family!
. Helen Keller
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericat View Post
Amongst others......
I recall clearly that Princess Mary takes her own pictures of her children which is released on their respective birthdays.

Now King WA has taken snaps of his daughters to be released, and at the time I did not think they were great, but they are taken without pressure on the child to pose.

Even Prince Bertie took pictures of what is now QEII and we enjoy those to this day...

I think it is brilliant that photos are taken by family to be released. They not meant to be enlarged to great size, to be framed or placed in a gallery for posterity. No, they for us to enjoy, and we should do just that. They did not have to release any photos at all; but sure they thought the public would enjoy seeing them in the relaxed mode of family!

Sadly, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't!!! Time for most of us to grow up, stop throwing stones at them and just enjoy... Life would be much happier for all!
Cannot speak for the pictures taken by WA, because I can't remember if I have seen them before. However, the difference between the pictures taken by Michael Middleton and say, the ones taken by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is that the majority of the pictures taken by the latter are actually good pictures. Some of them I could even mistake for professional taken pictures.

Yes, it's a nice little detail that Michael took the pictures, but as sweet as it is, that doesn't change the fact that they aren't pictures of particularly good quality. I wouldn't have minded Michael taking the pictures if they were actaully good, as I said, it's a nice detail.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:

This seems awfully harsh, and a little mean-spirited, to me. Are your students that well-versed in the art of photography that they can critique, or are they simply reflecting your attitude toward them, and criticizing in order to make the teacher happy? Do you criticize every photo in your family's photo album, tossing out the ones that don't look professional? Or is it only the Cambridges? I mean, really, we were told that the pictures would be family photos ... should we have expected something more than what we were told? They're not so bad ... actually, they're not bad at all. They're just not professional.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Well maybe those 5 year olds can give Mario Testino some pointers, because this photo he took of Queen Rania and her children (for Vanity Fair 2008) is pretty bad.

http://mylusciouslife.com/wp-content...io-testino.jpg

As for the Cambridge photos, I really like them and don't think they're as bad as some are trying to make them out to be.
Thanks for my second laugh of the day. When Testino does it, it's ART!

It's overwhelmingly funny (odd funny) to me that so many people are finding so many reasons to be deeply offended by the release of the family photos. Above all, I am sure they did not mean to offend anyone by releasing them.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I like that Michael took the photos as it does add a personal touch and it makes the family feel much more relaxed. Edward and Sophie chose Andrew to take Louise's photo's as they felt it would be much more relaxed, and they even managed to get the Queen to sit with them for one.

I do think the photos could have been more "personal", in the sense that they do all look quite formal. Lady Louise's first photos taken at Sandringham by Prince Andrew were much nicer I feel. This was simply because we had photos of the parents looking at each other smiling. The one of Edward holding little Louise who is looking up at him is especially lovely. This was of course Edward and Sophie's choice, whereas William and Catherine may have preferred more formal posed photos. I am sure we will see plenty of lovely family photos of the Cambridge's in the future.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

HRH Prince George of Cambridge is 1 month old today.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Commoner

I think they beautiful pictures. Not often do you see William touching Catherine so intmately and naturally. Nicely done.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
HRH Prince George of Cambridge is 1 month old today.
Oh, time goes fly.
Baby George must be growing up very handsome guy.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Mary's photos didn't look like professionals to me, they look like family photos.
All these criticism of Michael Middleton's photos remind me of the criticism at another forums of Mary's every time she take photos of her children on their birthdays :/
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Funny thing with the criticism, suddenly everyone becomes a professional photographer and start pointing out how this should've been done and how this person should've sat, lol.

It was nice and happy family pictures taken by a new grandfather, who is an amateur behind the camera. Just like his daughter and other members of the royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS