Prince George: First Official Photos - August 22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal
The royal baby pictures show privilege trying, and failing, to look normal | Jonathan Jones | Comment is free | theguardian.com

The trouble with the new royalism is that it is far more dishonest than the old royalism. This picture, with its amateur touches, gives that away.
And for all its attempts to look natural, it is posed: for the royal family is not middle class. The royal couple playing at "normal" parenthood is no more authentic than Marie Antoinette dressed as a shepherdess. The interesting question is why is such obvious fiction taken seriously by so many?
Agree 100%

I'm not understanding the point of the article. The writer claims that they're playing at being "normal" because the photos are posed. But don't most people pose for family photos? I know do. What did the writer want? For them to pose dripping in family jewels and their tiaras/crowns. Would that have been more authentic for him?

One thing you will see no matter what class a family is and that is family pictures. Because they are a "royal" couple, should the backdrop have been Buckingham Palace and they should have been dripping in jewels and orders? Should HM and the DoE be sitting on thrones at their family barbeques at Balmoral? Should Charles, along with this collection of toilet seats, have a royal butt wiper as in days gone by? :ROFLMAO:

There is a lot of "normal" about Will and Kate and I personally think its a good thing.

Exactly. :lol:

Last edited:
I agree 100% with The Guardian article.

The pretense of being normal and middle class is not shown in the fact that they posed, but more in the fact that they chose to share an amateur (and a poor quality amateur) photo as the first official photo of a future king, when the british royal family is as the article says "enshrined by centuries of pomp and circumstance" and when they could have chose any professional photographer they wished to take a much better photo that will one day belong to a historical royal album. What was their point with this choice? What message were they trying to pass? Those are the questions the author is trying to answer. And according to him (and I agree) they are trying to pass the image of a ordinary middle-class family who are just like any other middle class family in Britain with a ordinary member of the family taking an poor-quality amateurish photo that will stay in those ordinary family albums that we show to friends when they visit. And as they author says (and again I agree) all of this is pretending. They are not an ordinary couple and an ordinary family with ordinary lives. And no, this baby will not have an ordinary childhood no matter how hard they try. This baby will be King as will his father. There is nothing normal about that.

The think the couple knows who they are and their position and not trying to pretend to be anything. All they did was share a very nice family picture that will be looked at for many years to come and they know it isn't perfect. The main pictures or portraits are coming of the whole family during the christening. Those are the pictures everyone is waiting for and that will be of great significance.

There is no deep and hidden meaning behind these pictures; there is no smoke and mirrors about a couple "pretending" to be normal.

These are family snaps - something to bridge the gap between absolutely nothing in terms of pix and the formal ones sometime in the next month or so.

If you saw the CNN interview - William absolutely knows and indirectly said, his life is not normal.

They let the world into their family life by publishing a couple of family snaps. That is it.

The only surprise is that William did it.

It was bad enough with conspiracy theorists on the Death of Diana thread - now we have them on here.

I don't understand how releasing a few family photos means that they are pretending to be normal. No one can forget that they are royal.

They will be posing for press photographers and releasing christening photos in a few months, so I don't see why there is such an uproar. There will be plenty of formal photos taken. People are acting like these are the only baby/family photos that we are going to see.

Last edited:
This will surely not be the only one but was suppose to be the first official one and thus, a special one

Not that long ago, The Queen and palace released on old official picture of the whole family vacationing on the Royal Yacht Britannia in the 80's. The sun pretty much ruined the picture and it wasn't of the best quality but it was a personal family picture that they thought it would be nice to share with the world.

William & Catherine, Michael and the palace knew the pictures wasn't of the best quality but it was still a nice family picture and they wanted to share it with everyone and the papers. They are leaving the more formal ones for the big day, which is the Christening.

While everyone is going on and on about how unprofessional the pictures looked, I think they are missing the actual simplicity of the images.

This will surely not be the only one but was suppose to be the first official one and thus, a special one

It was a special photo...to them. There was sources saying that the pictures would be taken by a family member so I don't think anyone should've expected a picture that an experienced photographer would've produced. The couple and palace did it the way they wanted for right now. The major official pictures are coming soon.

Last edited:
Y'know with all the negativism in articles and whining about the poor quality of the first family photos of a future king, it might just turn out to be a case of biting the hand the feeds them.

Perhaps Will and Kate will realize that they need formal portraits because of the austere and esteemed rank they hold and decide to scratch any future sharing of everyday snaps and photos with anyone but family. Personally, I wouldn't blame them at all if this is the decision they come to. Perhaps a photo on birthdays and memorable days like the first day of school will suffice.

Photographers camped out for weeks for the best shot of George when he was born, not a day goes by where there's not some article about Will or Kate somewhere and we waited with bated breath for the first pictures to be released. When they were, "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" is the uproar heard.

They tried. Obviously they did it all wrong and perhaps won't make that mistake again. Ever. It will be those of us that enjoyed the close family pictures they did release that will lose out if they do decide not to release to the public anything but formal professional photographs.

Since this is The British Royal Family they will always be Scrutinize, Analyize,Criticizes for every little thing they do or say whether it Good or Bad, wrong Big Deal or not, etc.

If this was The Royal Family from the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Monaco who did a photo like this one it would not be such a big thing and everybody would like it and wouldnt be quick to judge

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Michael "I never said I was David Bailey" Middleton.

I think there's too much pressure on the British royal family and when they crack under the pressure, people go on and on about how they weren't cut out to be royal.

I may be alone in this but I like these informal pictures of the royals. I like the idea of grandpa Michael taking a nice picture of his daughter, son-in-law and grandson. With all the formality that's coming for this couple, informal pictures like this is something people will look back on and appreciate someday. Today, I find myself loving the informal pictures of the royals of the past.

Some people appear to be living in the past when glamour was the order of the day. We live in a much more casual world. People no longer dress up to take a flight, in a lot of work places the dress code is "business casual," people rarely go to fancy restaurants except for really big occasions like a milestone birthday or anniversary. We as a society just don't glamourize as much as we used to.

So, to those who want the glamour shots of the Cambridge's, guess what, you're not gonna get them so quit whining about it and move on. There are way more important things in this world we should be complaining about than who photographed the Cambridges and how formal or informal the setting was.

Since this is The British Royal Family they will always be Scrutinize, Analyize,Criticizes for every little thing they do or say whether it Good or Bad, wrong Big Deal or not, etc.

If this was The Royal Family from the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Monaco who did a photo like this one it would not be such a big thing and everybody would like it and wouldnt be quick to judge

I completely agree with you. Bravo. I am so sick of the whining, if they had a more formal pic, people would STILL complain that they are TOO FORMAL. Crown Princess Mary takes pics of her kids, but that's okay for her and not the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge? I am not saying everyone needs to like the pics, but this whining about every single little thing is getting so old that this is my last post. Those who are not done complaining can continue to do so without me here. It has become absolutely ludicrous.

Don't forget Lupo...he's adorable!:lol:

Lupo definitely is a good looking dog but from the picture, I could see where they'd have to clean up his drool a lot. I bet George is going to have a close companion growing up with Lupo.

Some people appear to be living in the past when glamour was the order of the day. We live in a much more casual world. People no longer dress up to take a flight, in a lot of work places the dress code is "business casual," people rarely go to fancy restaurants except for really big occasions like a milestone birthday or anniversary. We as a society just don't glamourize as much as we used to.

So, to those who want the glamour shots of the Cambridge's, guess what, you're not gonna get them so quit whining about it and move on. There are way more important things in this world we should be complaining about than who photographed the Cambridges and how formal or informal the setting was.

I didn't read any post here asking for a dress up photo in fancy clothes, let alone robes, or anything like what you're describing. Those who didn't like the pictures, like me, just wanted a better quality one. And yes, people still take good quality photos nowadays. There is actually a market for photogaphers doing family sessions growing up nowadays. Beautiful, casual photos of family moments, but with quality, which was what was missing in those photos.
I must say that the poor quality is the only thing I don't like in these photos. Everything else looks good to me. I like the pose, I like the setting, I like the idea of the dog, I don't have any problem with it being taken in the Middleton's house, etc. I just think the photos don't have quality. I see many problems there, such as the light, that completely ruin the photos and that could have easily been prevented if a professional photographer was chosen.
And I also have no problem with a family member taking the photo.
Crown Princess Mary takes photos of her kids all the time that she uses as official pictures and they look wonderful to me and even have a special touch because they were taken by her. I also enjoyed the photos taken by the Duke of York in old times. And of course, those taken by Lord Snowdon were amazing. But all the three take good photos, which Michael Middleton doesn't.

There are those here who think that the quality of the picture doesn't matter. We should all be thankfull that they shared a picture of what they think it's a family moment (when in fact it's not, it's actually just a posed photo). I don't share this view.
But, of course, this is just my opinion.

William had me laughing, the way he discussed Lupo "drooling around the house"! :lol:

I love it that William and Kate are committed to keeping their pets part of the family, even after the baby arrives.

I know many people who have banished their dogs outdoors or even given them away after bringing a newborn home and that always makes me sad.:ermm:

Y'know with all the negativism in articles and whining about the poor quality of the first family photos of a future king, it might just turn out to be a case of biting the hand the feeds them.

Perhaps Will and Kate will realize that they need formal portraits because of the austere and esteemed rank they hold and decide to scratch any future sharing of everyday snaps and photos with anyone but family. Personally, I wouldn't blame them at all if this is the decision they come to. Perhaps a photo on birthdays and memorable days like the first day of school will suffice.

Photographers camped out for weeks for the best shot of George when he was born, not a day goes by where there's not some article about Will or Kate somewhere and we waited with bated breath for the first pictures to be released. When they were, "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" is the uproar heard.

They tried. Obviously they did it all wrong and perhaps won't make that mistake again. Ever. It will be those of us that enjoyed the close family pictures they did release that will lose out if they do decide not to release to the public anything but formal professional photographs.

I agree with the whole post, but the last part is especially true. I, personally would take the informal photos taken by family members over the professional ones any day. Those photos give us a sense of who the family truly are, how they interact, etc. There will be plenty of chances for formal pictures, done by professional photographers, and in all honesty, they're not as special to me for that very reason. They don't show the person, but the position the said person occupies, and we're very familiar with that information.

Prince George: First Official Photos Released 22 August 2013

Aren't most pictures posed - holiday snaps "stand there I want to take a picture of you and BP" ? Christmas round the tree. birthdays and the cake, etc. Just saying

I loved the photos and I have to say that if I had taken the pictures and agreed to release them .... it would be the LAST TIME. I think I would just decide that photos on birthdays and maybe Christmas (posed and by a professional photographer of course) would be the only ones released. Public figures or not (and Michael Middleton is not) no one needs to endure the criticism and crap spouted by some people.

What is wrong with William and his family being normal? Interview after interview that is what he said he wanted- at school, be normal- at Sandhurst , be normal - at Raf Valley, be normal.

He isn't King yet. He has to wait for his grandmother and father to die. Which isn't a pleasant thought. What is suppose to do with his life until then? Become some sort of diva, demanding people grovel to them and serve him m&ms with the green ones removed :)

No, he is going do what everybody else does until he can't.

What is wrong with William and his family being normal? Interview after interview that is what he said he wanted- at school, be normal- at Sandhurst , be normal - at Raf Valley, be normal.

He isn't King yet. He has to wait for his grandmother and father to die. Which isn't a pleasant thought. What is suppose to do with his life until then? Become some sort of diva, demanding people grovel to them and serve him m&ms with the green ones removed :)

No, he is going do what everybody else does until he can't.

"Normal" is a relative term. It's having to juggle bills and wait in long lines and worry about getting laid off. William will never be normal in that sense. Few if any Royals will, and I have to admit I find it annoying when they use the word.

I suspect what William and many people like him mean when they yearn for normalcy is being able to conduct their(very privileged) lives with as much privacy as possible...period.

"Normal" is a relative term. It's having to juggle bills and wait in long lines and worry about getting laid off. William will never be normal in that sense. Few if any Royals will, and I have to admit I find it annoying when they use the word.

I suspect what William and many people like him mean when they yearn for normalcy is being able to conduct their(very privileged) lives with as much privacy as possible...period.
But like you said, "normal" is a relative term. When I think of "normal", I think of all the little things that people do each and every day. Like going grocery shopping, going to work, going to the movies, cooking, hanging out with friends and family, etc. Those are the type of things that the royals mean when they talk about being "normal".

Sure, William will never have to worry about certain things (like getting laid off), but that doesn't mean that aspects of his life are not "normal".

Last edited:
I've always considered the royals to be "normal" people just like you and me. Things may be different financially, socially and historically but they are "normal" people and some issues and ups and downs like the rest of us.

William, Kate and Harry might never have to worry about paying bills like most of us, but there are plenty of things they have to worry about that are no problem for us. Besides... I didn't know worrying about bills was a criterium of "normalcy". Whatever that means..

I love the lovely family pictures. For those who don't. I feel sorry for you because you don't give them credit for just being them. Which at this time is new parents. If you don't find that good enough, then move on and find someone that meets your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom